ABF Freight Employee Reviews

Stressful environment
Supervisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAAugust 6, 2017
Management is okay, but I do not believe you're paid for the workload you receive (may not always be the case.) The job is extremely stressful, unable to properly discipline workers.
Pros
Very lenient when you need to leave work to take care of business etc...
Cons
Overly stressful environment due to nature of the job.
Great company to work for
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 2, 2017
I liked working at abf because as a truck driver I was usually home 3 or 4 days a week. When you are on the road the dispatch usually leaves you alone and you usually drive the same routes so once you get to know them it gets easier. They put you up at decent hotels when you have to stay overnight. They treat you fair and pay you hourly for flat tires, breakdowns, and waiting on the load. 60 Cents per mile after your first year. 1 Week paid vacation after 2 years, also get 5 paid sick days, 3 paid personal days. Cadillac health, vision and dental plan. They also have a retirement plan. Very organized company with management that knows what they are doing. I would highly recommend abf especially if your a truck driver with a family that wants to be home more often.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
dirty dusty place
Dock / driver CDL-A (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2017
I started on the dock loading freight it was fun moving stuff around with a fork lift . its a union dock what a joke the union is I've never seen a group of grown men over the age 40 yrs act like cry babies due to a union organization , id be in the middle of a shift loading a trailer and hear you can't use that piece of equipment cuz I just came on duty and I want that one ( get lost I say ) and the boss said every time nope he gets his union seniority go sit down take a paid break . what ??
Cons
trashy equipment trucks and forklifts
Challenging but rewarding
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 26, 2017
I enjoy the gratification of leaving daily feeling I accomplished great things. The company could offer better training but I do enjoy jumping in feet first!!!
Basically outside work. You are in the elements.
Dock Worker/Hostler (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45424July 23, 2017
Not so great work environment but coworkers are great for the most part. Company is not very family friendly. If you are a family oriented person this is not the place to work. The compensation is great but you do not get to enjoy it because you are always at work.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Time off
loved my job here
Secretary-Corporate Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJuly 19, 2017
Unfortunately I was let go due to corporate restructuring so though l liked my job a lot I was left unemployed with 130 others completely out of the blue.
Pros
loved my boss-very honest and hard working
Cons
apparently honest and hardworking does not keep your job here
Starting Point
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 19, 2017
This company has high expectations of everyone involved to get the job done. Although there are a few good people that you will have the pleasure working with, it seems the higher up you go it becomes more of a 'good intentions' feeling, rather than someone who truly cares about the well being of the employees beneath them. Too much of management higher up gets lost in paperwork, meetings and reports, instead of focusing on the problems that are right in front of them.

One of the issues was the union mentality of many of the employees. Too often it would become more of 'them v. us' rather than working together as a team. Being that it was a union company, there wasn't much that could be done whenever it got to this point.

A regular day would never be less than 10 hours and would often stretch beyond 12. Work loads would increase and there could be weeks that you would work 70+ hours on a 5-day work week or 80+ on a 6-day work week.

I learned more about the freight industry, logistics and the art of managing a team than I would have originally believed I would. This company taught me the value of the company is only as good as the team you have to carry you to the finish line.
Pros
Good pay - decent benefits
Cons
Work/Life balance
Great job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 16, 2017
Very fortunate to get to retire from this job which offered great pay and benifis. Worked with some great coworkers. Always looked forward to going to work each day.
Pros
great pay and benifits
Cons
could be stressful at times
Great Stepping Stone
Operations Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conley, GAJuly 15, 2017
Recently was just dock worker but saw the opportunity to go into management as a operations assistant. Its a great company to work for since advancement is everywhere
Pros
Flexible hours and great pay
Supervisor
Linehaul Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 7, 2017
Good news they are always hiring....its for a reason. Good news they pay well....its for a reason. Probably the worse place I have experienced in my life. Union wants to kill you literally and the management wants to eat its own. This place is a living nightmare.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else.
Dead end job
City and linehaul driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2017
No fun .... rate it as a C- and an F for work environment, terrible work facility, poor equipment, out dated company policy....................... do not recommend
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Old and out dated
Driver/Dockman (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYJune 22, 2017
Lots of work. Some pressure,Union pay and benefits. Training had gotten better. The level of experienced people dropping since several of us retired. Terminal manager is fantastic and a fair guy who listens to his experienced people.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Inexperience people
Great
Pricing Analyst Internship (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 20, 2017
Great company to work for. The Pricing department has a great atmosphere and are always very helpful. Also, the managers are always willing to help. Northwest Arkansas has a lot to offer.
Pros
Good pay, and great atmosphere.
Cons
Can't think of any.
Productive and easy-going workplace
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 12, 2017
ABF Freight is a good place to work at, good, competitive pay. The management was good as well, always made you were on task and doing things efficiently.
Pros
Pay
Good place to work!
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 30, 2017
Great place to work. My first freight company. Everyone is helpful especially managment. Nobody is on your tail . Great place to work. Pay is great .
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Not much ot
Average
City Driver/Dock worker (Former Employee) –  Sikeston, MOMay 17, 2017
The job was descent the pay was nice. The work hours varied alot because of freight. The management wasnt the best but any management is better than none at all. The things i enjoyed the most was the pay.
productive,fun, and laid back
Truck Loader (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 16, 2017
a typical day at work was fun, energetic, and cool
learn how to load a truck to its fullest capacity
management was pretty laid back
the culture had diversity
hardest part was working a truck with all hand freight and working in all weather elements
the people was the most enjoyable
Best LTL truck line out there
Local Truck Driver Class A CDL with haz-mat (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 11, 2017
Loved the job, pay, and benefits. ABF started requiring everyone to work 12+ hour shifts everyday. That is why I had to give up my part time job, that I loved. Worked 60 hours a week for about 3 years then decided to retire
Pros
the job itself
Cons
No family time at all, except weekends. Also you got to work 2 years, to get 1 week vacation
Good company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 10, 2017
Nice trucks. Great pay and benefits.
Work was inconsistent until seniority is built up. They put you up in nice hotels. Days at home are inconsistent
Pros
Great bnenfits
Cons
Inconsistent home time and pay
employees, attitudes, and overall work ethic have gone downhill
Employee (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 30, 2017
ABF has become a workplace that caters to those who "scream the loudest" . There should be a set standard of how things are done and then it should be followed. Instead it's the one that screams the loudest, gets their request answered. The need for properly trained employees is important it prevents the regular employees from doing their work as well as re checking the others. Attitudes are " it's not my job, someone else will do it" and it remains until the next person picks it up.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
pension depleting, racially motivated between co workers, inadequate training