ABF Freight Employee Reviews

Good job, bad management
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702October 9, 2017
I loved this job but was let go due to lack of work. The poor management at this terminal I worked at never brought in any new business. So for that I was laid off. If he did his job and brought work I would still have a job.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Manager at this terminal was lazy
very divisive job categories
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, AROctober 9, 2017
The work environment very much mimics the social environment of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. It does not do anything for morale.
Decent place with salt of the earth folks
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 19, 2017
I worked there for a year and it was a great pace to cut my teeth. Got a lot of experience in management and training on corporate skills. People were nice.
Job has some ability to be promoted
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conley, GASeptember 18, 2017
The dock supervisor position high stressful but that is what it is designed to be, ok. The upper management is a be out of touch and needs to be updated and some may need to be replaced. You do everything except actually move freight, this is a union company so that is a no, no.
Pros
work 5 days one week 2 days the next.
Cons
Union promote laziness and the hourly employee as well as management are poorly trained.
The job is great and the other associates are very helpful
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 12, 2017
I worked at ABF for a short time .I learned a great deal in that short time as a forklift driver . i am very familiar with all the details of driving a lift . During my training I received help from other associates who was always so willing to help . I recommend this job to anyone whose skilled in driving a lift and the company benefits are great.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, AR 72903September 5, 2017
I would return to ABF if a position came open that was interesting and that would fit my abilities. Inside Sales is cut-throat as your territory is compared to the others in sales. Difficult to relate one area of country to another as all are diverse and different.
Good opportunities to move to other departments, for growth personally and on the job with continued training.
Great co-workers and very superb health and wellness benefits as well as salary.
Love ABF.
Pros
Great Benefit, Salary, and work enviroment
OK to work for
Inside Account Manager / OS &D Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlstadt, NJSeptember 5, 2017
At Abf there is structure and procedures that must be delvelpoed and taught .. good company just need to stay within the job specifications request . The area was small compared to the work load but was good for what was needed
Ok
City Driver/Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 25, 2017
Hours suck unless your old and lazy. If you want to drive forget about it for Iike five years. You will work the dock Or the yard or line haul. It's just not a good place to work if want to drive a truck
Sorry, you loose
Line Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2017
Great pay, but, three years with zero time off!
I missed my fathers funeral.
I messed my mothers funeral.
24 hours a day on call.
365 days a year.
Thats no life.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else...You wont have a life.
Productive place to work
Data Input Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 17, 2017
Good work environment. Management is responsive to any issues that may arise. Employees are treated like a person not like another number to a company.
Stressful environment
Supervisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAAugust 6, 2017
Management is okay, but I do not believe you're paid for the workload you receive (may not always be the case.) The job is extremely stressful, unable to properly discipline workers.
Pros
Very lenient when you need to leave work to take care of business etc...
Cons
Overly stressful environment due to nature of the job.
Great company to work for
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 2, 2017
I liked working at abf because as a truck driver I was usually home 3 or 4 days a week. When you are on the road the dispatch usually leaves you alone and you usually drive the same routes so once you get to know them it gets easier. They put you up at decent hotels when you have to stay overnight. They treat you fair and pay you hourly for flat tires, breakdowns, and waiting on the load. 60 Cents per mile after your first year. 1 Week paid vacation after 2 years, also get 5 paid sick days, 3 paid personal days. Cadillac health, vision and dental plan. They also have a retirement plan. Very organized company with management that knows what they are doing. I would highly recommend abf especially if your a truck driver with a family that wants to be home more often.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
dirty dusty place
Dock / driver CDL-A (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2017
I started on the dock loading freight it was fun moving stuff around with a fork lift . its a union dock what a joke the union is I've never seen a group of grown men over the age 40 yrs act like cry babies due to a union organization , id be in the middle of a shift loading a trailer and hear you can't use that piece of equipment cuz I just came on duty and I want that one ( get lost I say ) and the boss said every time nope he gets his union seniority go sit down take a paid break . what ??
Cons
trashy equipment trucks and forklifts
Challenging but rewarding
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 26, 2017
I enjoy the gratification of leaving daily feeling I accomplished great things. The company could offer better training but I do enjoy jumping in feet first!!!
Basically outside work. You are in the elements.
Dock Worker/Hostler (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45424July 23, 2017
Not so great work environment but coworkers are great for the most part. Company is not very family friendly. If you are a family oriented person this is not the place to work. The compensation is great but you do not get to enjoy it because you are always at work.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Time off
loved my job here
Secretary-Corporate Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJuly 19, 2017
Unfortunately I was let go due to corporate restructuring so though l liked my job a lot I was left unemployed with 130 others completely out of the blue.
Pros
loved my boss-very honest and hard working
Cons
apparently honest and hardworking does not keep your job here
Starting Point
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 19, 2017
This company has high expectations of everyone involved to get the job done. Although there are a few good people that you will have the pleasure working with, it seems the higher up you go it becomes more of a 'good intentions' feeling, rather than someone who truly cares about the well being of the employees beneath them. Too much of management higher up gets lost in paperwork, meetings and reports, instead of focusing on the problems that are right in front of them.

One of the issues was the union mentality of many of the employees. Too often it would become more of 'them v. us' rather than working together as a team. Being that it was a union company, there wasn't much that could be done whenever it got to this point.

A regular day would never be less than 10 hours and would often stretch beyond 12. Work loads would increase and there could be weeks that you would work 70+ hours on a 5-day work week or 80+ on a 6-day work week.

I learned more about the freight industry, logistics and the art of managing a team than I would have originally believed I would. This company taught me the value of the company is only as good as the team you have to carry you to the finish line.
Pros
Good pay - decent benefits
Cons
Work/Life balance
Great job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 16, 2017
Very fortunate to get to retire from this job which offered great pay and benifis. Worked with some great coworkers. Always looked forward to going to work each day.
Pros
great pay and benifits
Cons
could be stressful at times
Great Stepping Stone
Operations Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conley, GAJuly 15, 2017
Recently was just dock worker but saw the opportunity to go into management as a operations assistant. Its a great company to work for since advancement is everywhere
Pros
Flexible hours and great pay
Supervisor
Linehaul Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 7, 2017
Good news they are always hiring....its for a reason. Good news they pay well....its for a reason. Probably the worse place I have experienced in my life. Union wants to kill you literally and the management wants to eat its own. This place is a living nightmare.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else.