Abilene Christian University Employee Reviews in United States

Great Opportunities
Junior Developer (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 25, 2016
My college, Abilene Christian University, is a great school with many opportunities. They have real world experience that you can acquire from on campus jobs, and the professors care about the students. My job at ACU is a junior software developer. I work with other students developing IOS apps for 3rd party clients. We also work with web development tools such as html5 and CSS The most enjoyable part of my job is the experience and my co-workers; I get to work with real world clients and learn skills that I wouldn't normally know about from my regular college curriculum. I learn new information about IOS development and web development every time I go to work.
Pros
Friendly campus, driven professors, job opportunites
Cons
na
Best On Campus Job
Student Recruiting Call Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 25, 2016
Typical work day was long shifts at a call center. Fun Environment with great coworkers! Hardest part is the job itself. Cold Calling students that don't like to be on the phone.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
hard job
Fun and lively workplace within the Office of Admissions
Student Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 9, 2016
During my typical day at work I call approximately 30 prospective students per hour to inquire about various issues ranging from how their college search is going, to more important questions like how they can pay for college. I've learned how to communicate effectively on the phone and how to maintain focus in a heavily social environment. My management is great, but could be better. Whenever there are problems in the office, for instance, when Talisma freezes, he is not always available to resolve the problem. Due to his occasional inability to be punctual, my co-workers and I are at times left in the office being unproductive since we cannot work without Talisma. The hardest part of the job is definitely dealing with the boredom that goes along with calling many students per hour. The job is very repetitive in nature. However, my co-workers make the job fun as we are allowed to socialize so long as we keep our calls per hour average at the minimum required level.
Pros
15 minute break every 2 hours. Fun environment. Not physically taxing.
Cons
Repetitive.
Acu
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Abilene Christian UniversitySeptember 18, 2015
Great environment, collaborative. Great leadership in certain departments. Innovative as the new construction begins that will help create a better culture for ACU. Depending on the season of the school year more hours are worked. Salary increase is often difficult but the rewards of working with students is helpful.
Pros
Fun, Collaborative, Team-atmosphere
Cons
lower salary than what is expected
Fantastic University
Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 31, 2015
Abilene Christian University is one of the best Universities in Texas as far as I am concerned. As an Alumni and former employee of ACU I am grateful to have been a part of the Wildcat Nation. Each department of this university is just as amazing as the next, from Athletics to Admissions to Academics.
Good experience builders
Guitar Instructor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 23, 2015
Abilene Christian University was very helpful in both referring students to me and setting up performing gigs for me and my jazz band.
Productive workplace with an open environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Abilene TexasJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at work varied from market research to copywriting. My co-workers were great people that added to the great experience I had. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your work matters and is actually making a difference.
Giving student's confidence in mathematics
Finite Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 28, 2015
A typical day of work as a mathematics tutor involves much more than just reviewing homework problems. Many students that were in this class were non-mathematics majors, and many of them had a tremendous fear of anything mathematics related. Therefore the hardest part of my job was not the actual mathematics or problems; instead, it was getting the students to believe that they could face their fears of mathematics and that it was not that bad after all. The most enjoyable part of this job was watching student's confidence grow under my guidance. Also, this job introduced me to many people that are regularly in my life, for which I am thankful.
Pros
met new people, helped students pass a course
Cons
odd hours
Learn Experimental Particle Physics (and get paid)!
Undergraduate Research Assistant NIFFTE (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 20, 2015
This was simply a great place to work. ACU provides undergraduates with the opportunity to work at leading national labs and have the opportunity to get paid to learn experimental physics methods and techniques.

Summer work is fun and engaging. The oversight by the accompanying professors is very helpful, providing numerous opportunities for one-on-one learning and instruction. The problems are cutting edge and fun to work on.

The compensation is not a ton, but the environment is easy to enjoy on a budget, especially if you happen to enjoy working on particle-physics.
Good faculty to work under
Student Tutor and Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 13, 2015
Good environment to work with. Very friendly faculty that are willing to help wherever possible. Lots of variation in opportunities.
Great environment to work
Faculty and Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 8, 2015
Teaching and educating future nurses is definitely a challenge, but rewarding. Have absolutely enjoyed watching the light bulb moments.
Pros
Camaraderie, Christian influence
Cons
pay
Productive and friendly environment
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 4, 2013
We worked as a team supporting students, faculty and staff on several IT related issues.
Being part of this team taught me how to work together with different people and also how to satisfy customers who didn't understand technology as much as we did.
The management had a great way of communicating with us and that helped keep the employee retention levels high.
The hardest part of this position was getting all the customers to accept technological changes such as upgrades to new software and hardware. Some customers wanted to use the same technology for as long as they were at Abilene Christian University.
The
Encouraging environment to work in.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 3, 2012
The management was helpful, understanding, and encouraging. There are faculty and staff with tremendous amounts of experience to learn from and work with. The environment is almost always positive with plenty of opportunities to think critically and apply oneself to new situations.
Pros
positive, constructive environment, low risk of being fired, plenty of opportunities to learn and grow.
Cons
internship was unpaid, little opportunity to be hired on afterward.
A stepping stool to help me out in my future jobs.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 17, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of:
- Working in the schools speaking center.
- Teaching an entry level speech class.
- Judging speech tournaments.
- Attending communication conferences throughout the country.
- Assisting professors with research they were conducting.
Pros
my public speaking skills were enhanced and i was able to use those skills in my professions after.
Cons
n/a
Established great friends and was encouraged to accomplish my professional goals.
Summer Online Manager/Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 10, 2012
Had the opportunity to work for some wonderful directors, since retired or promoted.

Designed numerous online courses with an enthusiastic faculty.
Pros
great benefits and wonderful co-workers, both adults and students
Cons
frequent changes in management
Best experience while in school
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 21, 2013
Working on particle physics research was great and the people were friendly. Travel to and from research locations were covered and housing at the research location was covered. Helped to build contacts and experience for working in the research field.
Pros
co-workers, management, travel, conferences
good place to study and make friends
Volunteer service for (CSSA) (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 2, 2014
Abilene Christian University is good place to study. For me, everything is new around me. However, people in this school are so kind. I also make many friends, they help me to improve my English. I am so glad my friends told me I had improve my English a lot during the school time.
It was a wonderful place to play and a great atmosphere to coach in.
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 8, 2013
Going to school and playing baseball there helped instill a solid work ethic and a good foundation and morals for the rest of my life. I was also in a position to be a leader on and off the field and this helped me develop into the man I am today.
Micromanagement
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 8, 2013
Low employee morale due to constant budget changes
Inconsistent and filtered information from administration
Pros
campus grounds much improved
Cons
academic integrity severely compromised by inexperienced administrators
Enjoyed the work
Siebel Analytics Expert (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 7, 2014
Normal work hours
Respect
Good pay
Awesome works area
Good benefits
I would recommend anyone to work for them. There is plenty of growth opportunities.

4.5