Abilene Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Very unprofessional, low morale, patient care is NOT a priority
Staff Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 7, 2015
Patients are NOT well cared for in this facility. Nurses constantly work short and are frequently assigned more patients than they can safely handle. Safe harbor is NOT taken seriously. The response that is always given is, "Patients are always better with a nurse, than without one." This discourages nurses to pursue a safe harbor claim any further, as it does not get them any help or relief, it just protects them in "IF" something bad happens. Nor do they have the time, as they are already staying hours late past their shift to get all their work done as it is. The problem is never fixed. Upper management continues to allow unsafe patient loads. The hospital hardly ever goes on divert. And it is rare to see Directors on the floor helping, and they are even more obsolete during staffing crisis. Bonuses are only offered as a last resort, and hardly worth it as they have been cut to almost nothing. It's not even noticeable on your paycheck. Sign-on bonuses, retention bonuses, etc continue to decrease, as the work load continues to increase. And there is no such thing as a merit raise. Even annual raises are minimal, and is an even 1-2% percentage for everyone straight across the board, regardless of performance.

As with all jobs, there is a wide variety of poor performers, to meeting the minimum standard, and over-achievers. Directors tend to favor the poor performers and minimum standard employees because these people don't bother them with problems, issues, concerns, ask for help, or make any waves. They show up to work and collect a check. And if they can do that as they
  more... sit at the nurses station on their cell phones, instead of answering lights, tending to patients, or helping their team, then that's what they do. Those that go above and beyond, have true patient care concerns and try to make improvements are not valued or supported in any way. My Director in particular, makes all the politically correct statements when addressing such things in staff meetings, but never takes any action. Patient safety is made out to be a big deal and was put in place to encourage people to speak up, but they don't really want to hear about it, especially if it requires any action on their part.

I have personally witnessed directors discussing their employees with other employees of the same status, which I find very unprofessional. Inappropriate jokes are common. And employees who have personal friendships with their directors outside of work are permitted to treat other employees badly, permitted to make insubordinate comments to their friend/director publically without correction or repercussion, and are often given preferential treatment & opportunities for advancement based on their personal friendship, despite their poor performance level.

There is no teamwork in this facility. There is a lot of conflict between departments. Nurses coming in to help, or being floated to another unit to help are given the more difficult tasks & assignments. The chain of command is pointless policy and gets you no where.

It really is just an overall poor place to work.
Pros
You don't have to do much to look good in comparison to everyone else.
Cons
Poor patient care, low morale, no support from directors, lack of teamwork, no opportunity for merit raises, poor pay, poor compensation efforts.
Poor leadership, All about politics & money
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 9, 2014
There is absolutely no team work at this facility. Upper management and nursing directors are often seen in hallways chatting the day away, yet are unavailable as they push their nurses to unsafe staffing ratios. Safety concerns and Safe Harbor will either get you fired, or make your life miserable until you quit. Annual raises are minimal and there is no such thing as a merit raise. Benefits have are reduced each and every year. No incentives. No retention efforts. Conflicts of interest, preferential treatment and unfairness are not uncommon. There is no leadership whatsoever. Directors are all talk and no action. Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Cons
too numerous to list
Very relaxed place to work. No hassle
CERTIFIED NURSES AIDE (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 26, 2012
I love my job. The pay isn't so wonderful, but the benefits are good and its not hard work. I enjoy working at this place!!!
Pros
good hours, not hard work
Cons
short breaks, expensive lunch, some nurses are lazy
Stressful, not patient oriented, all about the money
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 12, 2013
They expected the nurses to do all the work. The nurse is the desk clerk, the aide, and the charge nurses are now having to take patients so they are not available to help out if you get into a situation. There is too much work and they kept taking away things like shift diffs, and other compensations were lowered but you still had to meet ridiculous requirements to obtain the compensation. I really enjoyed my time on the PCU. I worked nights now I understand days is a nightmare. There have been many times on that floor where they will give them 6 patients and have no aide. They are constantly getting admissions and discharging patients on PCU and on Med/Surg. and the nurses are on a regular basis brought to tears due to the working conditions. This is a for profit hospital and that is what they are trying to do is make a profit and they will work the staffing however it suits them even though they say they are going by matrix. Matrix doesn't work as well as acuity. There have been many a time on my floor that acuity should have been considered instead of matrix. They combined the oncology and SNU floor to save money and it is a nightmare because of the difference in charting and the type of patients you have. I have always known that aides are the backbone of nursing care but I for sure know that now. Desk clerks are awesome as well but having none of these at your disposal and expecting nurses to do it all and paying them no more is haphazard and borders on abuse. When I first started working there we had aides and desk clerks and it made it possible for the nurses to do there  more... jobs effectively and still have time to care for some of the psycho social issues that come up but not now you do what you can and usually as quickly as you can and go to the next one and hope and pray they don't need too much so you can get to the next one. That is my experience at this hospital. I hope they get better because they used to be a good place to work for.  less
Working inside along professional staff.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 21, 2013
Worked as a trauma tech which was always fast paced, and had excellent working professionals to teach me all aspects of working in the medical field. I never really was able to join management for judgement but did have some of the best team oriented crew that i have been blessed to work along side. The most haredest times were having to deal with disoriented patients and assisting the nurses and doctors in all trauma codes but always enjoyed doing my job to best of my ability.
Pros
team oriented environment
Cons
excellent communication skills developed during employment.
Workable work area.
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 10, 2012
I have only worked here a couple of weeks, but the job is not overwhelming. I have learned a little at this job, as, how to use the equipment to meet the needs of the clients. Management is understanding of my needs to work only certain hours as a call out. Co-workers are kind and cooperative. The hardest part of the job is learning the proceedures of the hospital. The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to work on my own without immediate supervision.
Cons
irregular hours
Very fast paced environment.
ED Registration Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Abilene TexasNovember 16, 2014
Supervise 14 full and PRN employees. Update and fix billing errors as necessary. Run and update various reports. Work also as a Financial Counselor in the ED registration area.

Sometimes supportive and sometimes not very supportive.

How to stand up for myself.

My co-workers can be very helpful at times.

Hardest part of the job, is time management.

Helping customers.
Great Staff!
PRN (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Love working with the different departments in the evening and love working with my patients.
With me working PRN I have been able to work with staff on all shifts and see the flow of each shift.
The hardest part of my job is the drive since I live an hour away, but the most enjoyable part is giving my patients a sense of comfort, understanding and sometimes comic relief.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
new employee training time is rushed
Abilene Regional
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 10, 2012
I have only worked her for a few weeks, but the pay is much more than the other hospital in the area. The work area is serviceable and clean. Management knows the hours I am available to work and are cooperative with my needs. The hardest part of the job is the irregular hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is the public contact.
Cons
limited breaks.
Hmm
Centralized Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Love my job and my time here, management is key. Some days are busy, some are not. Some days are long, some are short.
Busy & Challenging
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 12, 2013
Great area for career advancement. Wonderful coworkers. Unfortunately they are not very flexible, so be prepared to change your personal life to fit the job demands. 8-12 Hour shifts with no breaks.
Cons
no breaks
Excellent work environment
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 29, 2014
As a newly graduated student, I was able to learn all the skills necessary to effectively work in a level II trauma center. During that time, I received most certification available for an ER specialty including ALS, PALS, TNCC, and others. I experienced a wide variety of situations in which to fully use all my RN skills.
busy unit but learn alot hard work
unit secretary,cna (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 9, 2013
Start morning out by calling consults to the physicians, put lab reports into patients charts, I answer any and all calls that come through,I assist family members and visitors when needed. I check storage rooms to see what's needed for the unit,I transcribe all orders that the physicians write, I do filing and make and break down charts.
nice smaller hospital
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 13, 2012
smaller hospital but stays pretty busy during the winter season. Has NICU, and great ICU staff. Great staff in Resp.Department, gets along great and works together. Cons are feeling somewhat understaffed and flexed quite a bit in summer time.
Pros
smaller hospital but good experience
Cons
profit hospital, budgets, flexing
Relaxed and professional environment
Dr Roddy Shayne White Medical Director (Current Employee) –  Abilene TexasSeptember 10, 2013
Abilene Regional Medical Center is a very professional and friendly place to work. As healthcare has changed and the ER has become more in demand it would be beneficial to the staff and patients for them to increase the staff to meet these growing demands.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
understaffed
rewarding experience
Charge Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 8, 2013
this position required worked with the mentally handicapped adult population. This was a very rewarding position; however, working with this type of population was a challenge and was a bigger challenge in taking care of their ever changing mental conditions
I enjoy working with all the Doctors. They treat us very well.
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 19, 2014
ARMC is a good place to work. I'm just ready to move on to bigger things. I'm ready for more experience.
Refunds clerk
Lead Refunds Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 5, 2014
I enjoyed being able to apply my skills of insurance knowledge as well as finance to the job. The environment was nothing but positive and always had room to grow.
Great Experience
Exercise Specialist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 24, 2013
Good diversity of patients. Learned many life skills and practical lessons there as how to be professionals
Nice Place to work
Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 6, 2014
I enjoyed working at Abilene Regional Medical Center. Everyone worked to make sure the patients were well taken care of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abilene Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Abilene Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location