Abilene Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Want your soul sucked out? Then come on down!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 10, 2017
One of the worst places to work for in Abilene, TX. Nurses are treated as expendable. Have a complaint?, they show you the door. They don't hire aides because it's about the bottom line and they feel nurses can handle a full patient load without help. On PCU ratios are 5:1. Med surg 6:1. ICU depends on the hospital needs and if the unit is over flow and they don't care. Try to stand up for yourself and protect your license they beat you down until you agree and treat you like garbage. On your days off, they will blow up your phone asking you to come in all the time, but god forbid you need to call in. Doesn't matter if youre sick, if the census is high they will make you come in. They beg you to pick up shifts to help out, what they don't tell you is if the census is low and you come in exyra for your unit and the unit doesnt need you they will float you. Management is a joke. They only care about getting their bonus so expect not to have supplies. If you are family orientated, for the love of god don't work here, they will take everything from you and give you nothing in return.
Pros
Cons
Everything!
Small work group setting
Centralized Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 17, 2017
Worked in a small 4 person group answering calls and scheduling appointments for patients.

Fast paced environment and must be able to multitask.

Company has good benefits.
Registered Respiratory Therapist, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 8, 2017
Management was inadequate, mainly because the director was from radiology and had no experience in Respirotory Therapy. The workplace culture was profession and continueing education was a priority. I enjoyed the profession.
Very unprofessional, low morale, patient care is NOT a priority
Staff Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 7, 2015
Patients are NOT well cared for in this facility. Nurses constantly work short and are frequently assigned more patients than they can safely handle. Safe harbor is NOT taken seriously. The response that is always given is, "Patients are always better with a nurse, than without one." This discourages nurses to pursue a safe harbor claim any further, as it does not get them any help or relief, it just protects them in "IF" something bad happens. Nor do they have the time, as they are already staying hours late past their shift to get all their work done as it is. The problem is never fixed. Upper management continues to allow unsafe patient loads. The hospital hardly ever goes on divert. And it is rare to see Directors on the floor helping, and they are even more obsolete during staffing crisis. Bonuses are only offered as a last resort, and hardly worth it as they have been cut to almost nothing. It's not even noticeable on your paycheck. Sign-on bonuses, retention bonuses, etc continue to decrease, as the work load continues to increase. And there is no such thing as a merit raise. Even annual raises are minimal, and is an even 1-2% percentage for everyone straight across the board, regardless of performance.

As with all jobs, there is a wide variety of poor performers, to meeting the minimum standard, and over-achievers. Directors tend to favor the poor performers and minimum standard employees because these people don't bother them with problems, issues, concerns, ask for help, or make any waves. They show up to work and collect a check. And if they can do that as they
  more... sit at the nurses station on their cell phones, instead of answering lights, tending to patients, or helping their team, then that's what they do. Those that go above and beyond, have true patient care concerns and try to make improvements are not valued or supported in any way. My Director in particular, makes all the politically correct statements when addressing such things in staff meetings, but never takes any action. Patient safety is made out to be a big deal and was put in place to encourage people to speak up, but they don't really want to hear about it, especially if it requires any action on their part.

I have personally witnessed directors discussing their employees with other employees of the same status, which I find very unprofessional. Inappropriate jokes are common. And employees who have personal friendships with their directors outside of work are permitted to treat other employees badly, permitted to make insubordinate comments to their friend/director publically without correction or repercussion, and are often given preferential treatment & opportunities for advancement based on their personal friendship, despite their poor performance level.

There is no teamwork in this facility. There is a lot of conflict between departments. Nurses coming in to help, or being floated to another unit to help are given the more difficult tasks & assignments. The chain of command is pointless policy and gets you no where.

It really is just an overall poor place to work.
Pros
You don't have to do much to look good in comparison to everyone else.
Cons
Poor patient care, low morale, no support from directors, lack of teamwork, no opportunity for merit raises, poor pay, poor compensation efforts.
Patients are provided with expemlary care
Registered Nurse in Labor and Delivery (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TxJuly 6, 2015
A typical day at work consists of triaging patients for possible labor or labor complications. It also includes caring for patients in labor and throughout recovery, as well as pre-op, intraoperative and post-op for cesarean sections.

I learned how to successfully labor and recover patients, circulate cesarean sections, and triage patients.

We recently lost the director of women's services and have an interim director.

Morale has been low and the turn over is faster than it should be. I have been there about a year and am the person who has been there the second longest on nights. We currently have only 5 full-time night nurses.

The hardest part of the job is going to work and being afraid that we are working in unsafe conditions. I still consider myself a novice and have a lot of questions and I do not feel like there are enough experts on nights to answer questions.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to care for patients and their families while they experience one of the most joyful times in their lives. I am very passionate about labor and delivery and feel like there is still so much more I could learn.
Pros
Wonderful patients
Cons
No breaks on nights, short on staff and fast turnover rate. No permanent director of women's services
Hmm
Centralized Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Love my job and my time here, management is key. Some days are busy, some are not. Some days are long, some are short.
Great Staff!
PRN (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Love working with the different departments in the evening and love working with my patients.
With me working PRN I have been able to work with staff on all shifts and see the flow of each shift.
The hardest part of my job is the drive since I live an hour away, but the most enjoyable part is giving my patients a sense of comfort, understanding and sometimes comic relief.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
New employee training time is rushed
Very fast paced environment.
ED Registration Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Abilene TexasNovember 16, 2014
Supervise 14 full and PRN employees. Update and fix billing errors as necessary. Run and update various reports. Work also as a Financial Counselor in the ED registration area.

Sometimes supportive and sometimes not very supportive.

How to stand up for myself.

My co-workers can be very helpful at times.

Hardest part of the job, is time management.

Helping customers.
Excellent work environment
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 29, 2014
As a newly graduated student, I was able to learn all the skills necessary to effectively work in a level II trauma center. During that time, I received most certification available for an ER specialty including ALS, PALS, TNCC, and others. I experienced a wide variety of situations in which to fully use all my RN skills.
Poor leadership, All about politics & money
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 9, 2014
There is absolutely no team work at this facility. Upper management and nursing directors are often seen in hallways chatting the day away, yet are unavailable as they push their nurses to unsafe staffing ratios. Safety concerns and Safe Harbor will either get you fired, or make your life miserable until you quit. Annual raises are minimal and there is no such thing as a merit raise. Benefits have are reduced each and every year. No incentives. No retention efforts. Conflicts of interest, preferential treatment and unfairness are not uncommon. There is no leadership whatsoever. Directors are all talk and no action. Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Too numerous to list
Nice Place to work
Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 6, 2014
I enjoyed working at Abilene Regional Medical Center. Everyone worked to make sure the patients were well taken care of.
Armc
Registered Nurse to Patient Care Advisor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 20, 2014
16 bed mixed ICU/CVICU/CCU in Abilene, Texas. Strong cardiac program and involved physicians in this rural Texas town.
Refunds clerk
Lead Refunds Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 5, 2014
I enjoyed being able to apply my skills of insurance knowledge as well as finance to the job. The environment was nothing but positive and always had room to grow.
I enjoy working with all the Doctors. They treat us very well.
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 19, 2014
ARMC is a good place to work. I'm just ready to move on to bigger things. I'm ready for more experience.
Stressful, not patient oriented, all about the money
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 12, 2013
They expected the nurses to do all the work. The nurse is the desk clerk, the aide, and the charge nurses are now having to take patients so they are not available to help out if you get into a situation. There is too much work and they kept taking away things like shift diffs, and other compensations were lowered but you still had to meet ridiculous requirements to obtain the compensation. I really enjoyed my time on the PCU. I worked nights now I understand days is a nightmare. There have been many times on that floor where they will give them 6 patients and have no aide. They are constantly getting admissions and discharging patients on PCU and on Med/Surg. and the nurses are on a regular basis brought to tears due to the working conditions. This is a for profit hospital and that is what they are trying to do is make a profit and they will work the staffing however it suits them even though they say they are going by matrix. Matrix doesn't work as well as acuity. There have been many a time on my floor that acuity should have been considered instead of matrix. They combined the oncology and SNU floor to save money and it is a nightmare because of the difference in charting and the type of patients you have. I have always known that aides are the backbone of nursing care but I for sure know that now. Desk clerks are awesome as well but having none of these at your disposal and expecting nurses to do it all and paying them no more is haphazard and borders on abuse. When I first started working there we had aides and desk clerks and it made it possible for the  more... nurses to do there jobs effectively and still have time to care for some of the psycho social issues that come up but not now you do what you can and usually as quickly as you can and go to the next one and hope and pray they don't need too much so you can get to the next one. That is my experience at this hospital. I hope they get better because they used to be a good place to work for.  less
Busy & Challenging
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 12, 2013
Great area for career advancement. Wonderful coworkers. Unfortunately they are not very flexible, so be prepared to change your personal life to fit the job demands. 8-12 Hour shifts with no breaks.
Cons
No Breaks
Relaxed and professional environment
Dr Roddy Shayne White Medical Director (Current Employee) –  Abilene TexasSeptember 10, 2013
Abilene Regional Medical Center is a very professional and friendly place to work. As healthcare has changed and the ER has become more in demand it would be beneficial to the staff and patients for them to increase the staff to meet these growing demands.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
understaffed
rewarding experience
Charge Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 8, 2013
this position required worked with the mentally handicapped adult population. This was a very rewarding position; however, working with this type of population was a challenge and was a bigger challenge in taking care of their ever changing mental conditions
Working inside along professional staff.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 21, 2013
Worked as a trauma tech which was always fast paced, and had excellent working professionals to teach me all aspects of working in the medical field. I never really was able to join management for judgement but did have some of the best team oriented crew that i have been blessed to work along side. The most haredest times were having to deal with disoriented patients and assisting the nurses and doctors in all trauma codes but always enjoyed doing my job to best of my ability.
Pros
team oriented environment
Cons
excellent communication skills developed during employment.
Great hospital
Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 10, 2013
Great place to work. Good to employees, fair pay. Comfortable atmosphere.