Abington Memorial Hospital

Abington Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

AMH - Not patient-oriented
Pre-Encounter Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAFebruary 11, 2015
If you are a high level employee in the Abington system, your work experience is likely a good one. However, middle- to lower-level employees are routinely threatened with termination for not meeting various quotas, regardless of patient safety. Management is encouraged to focus on bill collection in all departments, and patients are routinely called and asked to pay money for services before the services have even been rendered. This leads to contentious relationships with patients and management, as well as the high turnover rate at AMH.
Productive workplace
Medical Records Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Abington, PA.February 9, 2015
Processed documents, medical charts and filed daily, Picked charts up from nurses stations, Chart copy transfer, Processed Birth Certificate Government Forms, Stored charts and old data for shipment. I enjoyed working together on one accord with my co-workers to meet our quota for the day.
Pros
free lunch at times, celebrations, learning new things.
Cons
n/a
Great hospital
Student nurse (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAJanuary 23, 2015
Solid staffing, focused delivery of care. Lovely staff and benefits.
I learned alot of skills
Medical Records Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAJanuary 19, 2015
I have learned alot of skills and I can do any multitask job when it comes to medical records or office types clerical work.
Pros
i like working by myelf
Cons
no advancement
Enjoyable
Medical Technologist (ASCP) (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAJanuary 3, 2015
Great place to work where I learned a lot and was able to grow into the person I am today
Good work environment
Central Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Abington,PaNovember 30, 2014
I report to work on time to see what area i will perform my work duty for the day. I look to the "Job task" board to see what sets or instruments are a priority for the surgeries that will be carried out during my shift
Went down hill
registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Abington, PASeptember 9, 2014
When I started here Abington was a great place to work. Over the years it has declined greatly. The benefits are terrible, the pay is mediocre at best and the work load is very heavy. I love what I do but it is very hard to be the nurse you hope to be when staffing is so short and you are forced to do things that are unsafe and end up neglecting your patients.
Challenging and Diversified
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Abington, PASeptember 5, 2014
Typical day would include:
Daily
Date stamp & sort mail: photocopy checks, create daily bank deposit, deposit delivered to business services to deposit.
Process account payable invoices received daily and send to finance for payment
Respond to employee’s questions about pay and reimbursements
Respond to managers questions-various issues: invoices from their venders, payroll issues, department monthly account balances
Filing and archiving
As needed
Monthly cash reconciliation
Review month end reports
Responsible for petty cash account-disbursement, track receipts and balance
Process payroll for 200 employees
Compile information for various studies
Other various duties as assigned
This organization had many layers of management. Each department manager has their own style which is influenced by the leaders of this non-for profit organization. My co-workers and I all worked as a team, especially on payroll Monday. The hardest part of this job was ensuring all full-time nurses turned in time sheets in order to complete payroll and turn in by 10 AM as required by payroll department. The most enjoyable part of this job was completing the monthly reconciliation as well as analyzing and reviewing monthly reports and statistical studies. Making sure everything balanced to the penny, all account had accurate balances, and statistical studies provided accurate information was fun and challenging.
While working at this job I learned many new skills; such as supervising other employees, creating and implementing statistical studies, and financial analysis of monthly reports.
Pros
close to home, good benifits
Cons
changing managment
Current employer
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAAugust 1, 2014
I currently work on the night shift on the post partum unit. We care for new mothers and their infants.
I have learnt a great deal about post partum care, care of infants. I have also cared for mothers whose infants have passed away or those who are in the NICU.
The night shift supervisor is helpful, I don't tend to see the management team as they are in during the day. I have only met upper management a couple of times.
My co-workers are a great team, we work together when admissions arrive and when there is an emergency.
It is hard to look after mothers whose infants are critically ill in the NICU or pass away in the NICU.
It is nice to work with new parents and their infants
Pros
close to where i work
Very rewarding position
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAAugust 1, 2014
Patient Services Representative, 1993 - 1999
Assisted patients with billing inquiries and served as patient relations representative to resolve both financial and non-financial issues. Acted as liaison with insurance companies providing assistance in coding and timely payments. Reviewed EOBs to confirm proper payment by insurance company

Financial Administrative Assistant, 1991-1993
Developed training program for Home Health Aides, which included staying
within insurance company guidelines and following plans for care as dictated by the case manager. Computerized the activities of Home Health Aides for billing and patient medical records. Performed payroll functions for 40 Home Health Aides and resolved workers compensation issues.
interesting oncology unit
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAJuly 29, 2014
The hardest part as a student to care for the young mom with the cancer with one 8 month old baby.
Pros
great oncology unit to learn for the student nurses
Cons
short rotation
Overall, Abington is the nicest place I have worked. Problems actually are addressed, and they truly do resolve problems.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAJuly 16, 2014
Overall, the company is a good place to work. They are not "nurse friendly" in that nurses are not compensated for their efforts. At my last review I was declined a market increase in salary because I was at the top of the pay scale. However, I did receive the 2.5% cost of living increase.
The hospital is clean, dedicated to customer service, and does have top notch RNs and doctors. RN assignments are a bit heavy. At times not sufficient ancillary help to support the RNs.
Issues are addressed and rectified as fairly as possible.
Pros
no breaks or lunch on the schedule, clean work environment, cafeteria does have a healthy selection, we started a new computer system throughout the hospital, support staff was well trained to help everyone adjust.
Cons
clics, heavy patient assignments, and i know this sounds cliche, but the rns are underpaid.
Enjoyed delivering babies
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  1200 Old York Road, Abington, PAJuly 8, 2014
Worked night shift at a time when the delivery department was exceptionally busy every night. Hardest part of the job was seeing mothers upset when things did not go as planned. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping new moms and baby transition.
Team Oriented
Safety Companion/Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia PAJuly 3, 2014
A great place to work, good supervisors and team oriented co workers
Pros
great place to work
Cons
recent lay off
Great place to work. People are very kind and professional.
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  PAJune 24, 2014
Healthcare always changing and Abington Hospital meets the demands. Have no intention on leaving my job, I am trying to supplement my income.
Staff Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAJune 6, 2014
Many opportunities to save lives. Many technical advances. Culture of safety.
Pros
great location
Cons
diploma nursing program
Not what I expected from a reputable Hospital!!
Crcst, Chl (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAJune 4, 2014
When I first came to abington hospital, i was employed as a Surgical tech right out of school. Graduated top of class. All I recieved from the OR staff was no support. They made my orientation very unconfortable. I ask myself why hire me, but I went to work every day, work hard, was never late. And the OR nurses decided to make my day to day activities unconfortable. To sum it up they made up some story that I fell asleep while in the OR with a doctor during a procedure. wrote me up and decided to fire me. well they gave me a choice, same choice i found out they gave three other surg techs prior to me employment. Go to work for CSR Department or get fired. At the time there were'nt many surg tech job opening so i took there offer (I needed to pay my bills). Well as time pass I lost my certification as a surg tech. (16,000 dollar down the drain) and was force to get certified as a CRCST. Nothing changes I continue to give 110 percent to this Hospital and in return get nothing I been turn down to become the supervisor of my shift. After getting my certification as a CHL. I continue to look everyday for some better opportunity for myself and family. All I can do is hope the there is an employer out there that appreciate a hard working employee as my self with good family value and a verteran of the armed forces.If this sounds like a bad review it not, it the truth and my co-worker feel the same way about this employer. Bad News, A BIG DISAPOINTMENT!!!!!!!
Pros
that i at least can bring in enough to live from pay to pay
Cons
it a shame a hospital has to be ran with so much recentment towards ther employees
Family like enviroment
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAMay 21, 2014
I enjoy the work I provide at the hospital and also my co workers.
Pros
close to home
Cons
job security
very busy ER
Staff Nurse- Emergency Room (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAApril 29, 2014
started with a BANG and usually ended very quietly. Worked overnight hours, much more enjoyable than 1st shift
Pros
overtime incentives
Cons
living so close, i felt like a slave
Great place to grow
Nutrition Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAApril 21, 2014
While employed with Abington I learned all about multi tasking and time management. I became more of a team player with my co workers. I loved to meet new people at my job, and I got a wonderful feeling when my patients thanked me for my services.