ABM Industries, Inc.

ABM Industries, Inc. Employee Reviews

It was a great experience
Janitor/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day working for ABM was pulling all trash,sweeping,mopping,vacuuming,and making sure everything was nice and clean for the next day.The only thing I need not like at ABM was the management the manager was very unfair and lazy.
Loved working for this company
Security Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 3, 2016
A days work were to come in check the schedule and make sure that all my employees were on time and at there post that were assign to them. Walked around and did perimeter door and ground check. Relieved other officers for their breaks. Co-workers were great with following directions and understanding what were expected of their job. My management team were awesome. The hardest part of the job is when officers did not show up for their shift and other officers were made to stay without notice. being able to go home at your schedule time.
Pros
Free lunches and gifts
Cons
the breaks were only 10 mins long
Great co workers, terrible management
security guard (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 25, 2016
I worked here for a month than quit,DO NOT WORK FOR ABM. As soon as i got the job the manager started talking to me like I was nothing,my co workers told me how bad it was etc. I was promised hours and once I left my job and started I got no hours at all.
Pros
Got payed 15.00 a hour
Cons
Not a respectable company at all.
cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 19, 2016
They are the most racist company I have ever worked for!! They fired me 2 days after I got hired and they have never been a full staff. They are always hiring because they fire every race except whites.
Abm okc airport
Pros
EASY WORK
Cons
RACIST MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS
Very fun place to work
Day Porter (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJanuary 11, 2016
Great people to be around. You are around the customer for the duration of your 8 hour shift. management was spot on. Didnt really have any co-workers mostly worked alone. Hardest part was staying busy finding yourself with little work to do. The people were the most enjoyable.
Pros
great lunch room
Cons
Poor upper management. Unfair pay wages. Poor communication. Empty promises.
security officer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 6, 2016
Poor communication with the local security site this company oversees. They will tell you what you want to hear at the beginning of employment, then tell you they have no control over those things once you start working on location.
Upper management does not follow up on or back up any disaplinary actions taken by the field supervisors they have appointed to be in the position of authority. So because of this there is a very high percentage of employees as no call no show, call in multiple times or simply do not do their job properly and continue to show this type of behavior because they simply get away with it. This makes the field supervisor position look like a joke, trying to do their job properly with no backing.
Training from upper management is poor, they bring in unexperienced people to the site that have no knowledge about the client's policies and procedures security must follow. The pay rate is unfair, they bring in new employees at a higher rate because they know the wages are unfair, and then beat around the bush anout the fact that the employees with tenor deserve a raise because the new employees are taking all the money in the budget.
Pros
Plenty of overtime if willing.
Cons
Poor upper management, No accountability, Favoritism, Empty promises, Poor communication, No support for employees.
No appreciation for employees
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 30, 2015
Of you enjoy being over worked, under paid, then working for ABM is just for you. Before I began working for ABM, I was already employed under a different company. That company lost the account and therefore ABM (Chicago region) took over the account. I came to find out it was because they offered to provide security at a cheaper rate. Hence I became employed by AMB. My intention is not to bash anyone, but I will however tell the truth just the way it is. My experience with ABM, they give you the impression that they are well organized and on top of everything. FAR from the truth. The building I worked in was a understaffed. It was always required that 2 officers be on duty at a time. 1 to monitor the dock area, and 1 to monitor the lobby area. Typical duties would be to sign in/out vendors, tenants, contractors, and guests. Also to answer phones, give directions, perform rover rounds, and watch the CCTV system. These duties would be fine if you didn't have to perform Rover rounds of the building, which was more than 40 floors, including the basement area, and floors with no lights at all. Each officer was only equipped with a walkie-talkie. ABM does not allow officers to carry any type of weapons, let alone a flashlight. At night the staff was not sufficient for the the size of the building. (They found a homeless person sleeping in what use to be a bank vault within the building). Imagine you being a woman, alone in a dark bank vault where there is no signal for you to use your walkie-talkie. You have no mace, or anything to contact your colleague if you need assistance. Pretty  more... scary. However those were my duties, and I performed them. I enjoyed my job before ABM took over. I was never late when working for either company. I got along with everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE in the building. I always performed overtime when asked to do so, as well as overnight duties. The problem came when ABM called my post phone at the last minute, and requested that I stay until 3am, until they found another officer to fill the post for the dock area "hopefully by 3am" is what I was told. (THE DOCK CLOSES ANYWAY AT 6 PM!!!!!!) I respectfully declined, yet was informed that if I declined and left the building unattended, I could be terminated. My options were to stay until 3am, and risk getting on the bus at 330 or whatever time the bus arrived, in the morning and travel from Chicago loop area to the south side of Chicago in the dead of winter, and risk my own safety. Or, stay until the next officer came to monitor the lobby area and then leave. I thought logically. Since the dock was locked and closed for the day.... security would definitely be here to monitor the lobby area...... I could leave at the regular time my shift is complete, and the building would not be left unattended. Right??? WROOOOONG!!!! ABM called me approximately 3 days later to come to the downtown Chicago office, only to notify me that I was terminated. All the over time I gave in the past, never late, came in on off days, none of that mattered. I was angry, but simply took it as a grain of salt. Working for ABM, or any company like it is not for me.  less
awsome place to be
Janitor cleaning (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 21, 2015
loved my bosses did whatever was ask of me how I learn a lot more be for what I knew when I started wonderful hours very reliable my boss respect me and work with me and I respected them
Do Not Apply or Work for this company.
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYDecember 11, 2015
I've been working full time for over a year on 2nd shft, I had medical issues for awhile but I still do my job, manager and lead came to me tonight and basically told me to do more like my job and others job or quit , I opted for part time. This is one of the worse companies I have ever worked for, Treated/worked like a dog , tonight is my last night. Managers will harass you and follow you around all night. Very bad company.
Pros
Pay isn't bad.
Cons
Everything else
Horrible company to work for.
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 5, 2015
I was hired April 2015 for a customer service position. Trained in the main office for about 2 weeks,then they stuck us in the garages up until I left in September. The position never came about they kept saying they were waiting on the internet.However it really was they didn't get approval from the city to make the garages go automative.Upper management was horrible and racist. They have a very high turn over rate. I just couldn't anymore with the company.
Pros
NONE
Cons
All of the above!
Harassment and racial discrimination hostile work environment
Other (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2015
Please be advised the situation at my place of employment has not gotten no better as far as harassment and racial discrimination hostile work environment is concern.
Everyone deserves to work in an environment that is free of harassment
They S**K........
Pros
None besides a pay check
Cons
hostile work environment
overall worst company i ever worked for
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PANovember 14, 2015
This is one the worst companies i ever worked for i was with them for a little more then a half yearvand through that i was over worked to the point of near exhaustion they are very understaffed and dont care about yur personal life yes you had as many hrs as you wanted but they would expect great workers when they schedule yu to work a over night to work a morning shift the following day knowing you only had a hr or two of sleep for my fist month of workin i didnt receive a pay check until after 5 weeks of working i aint giving suvh a poor review to be one of the ex employees that are jerks or anything ontop of that i was supposed to be promoted to supervisor but went through servel pay rate changes and it just kept getting lower coverage for shift was nearly impossible so you have to work sick any weather even if a family emergency and through the cold weather i requested a coat and sweater uniform and never recieved it
Pros
paid lunch lots of hrs
Cons
pay rate change, none to one day off, vary shift regardless of yu worked over night, pay rate change very often, have to fight to even get paid
Management has a lack of keeping help and has a lack of management material
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Scottsbluff, NENovember 9, 2015
Every day at work starts with complaints from the floors not about the
housekeepers but of the managements lack of solving issues. Learning how to be a leader was a wonderful experience and i used
that experience every day i was at work. the management has not been very efficient since i started they do not tell the truth about anything. I liked my co-workers all of them were very hard workers and did their job well. the hardest part of my job was when i was the only person working controlling an entire hospital by myself by poor lack of scheduling. I loved every minute of working with the nursing staff on all the floors they were so appriciative of my work.
Productive and accomplished work
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 30, 2015
I loved working with the Banquet Staff. I felt very accomplished and proud of our daily routine. It felt good to be a part of something that the club members could appreciate. The hardest part of the job was the clean up and break down at the end of each day. The most enjoyable part was getting to meet new people and being recognized for a job well done.
Pros
All of the above
Cons
long weekend hours
A nightmare from start to finish
Janitor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 26, 2015
I left after less than a month. While the account I was working at wasn't so bad, the simple act of being an employee at ABM was truly awful. The company was a week late delivering my first paycheck, and when it finally arrived it was for a payment period much smaller than I was initially led to believe. Additionally, they do not offer payment through paper check, only direct deposit or a pre-paid debit card. If I had to miss a shift, I was expected to make four separate phone calls; one to a company hotline and one to each of my three supervisors. This company is an organizational embarassment, and should not be applied to.
Pros
Passable benefits
A fun work place
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 25, 2015
A fun work place with supportive management and co-workers the hardness part make production the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
short break
Great place to start you on your way!
Janitorial Worker (Current Employee) –  TalladegaOctober 23, 2015
I like the people! Love the hours! nice job! I love the work environment!!!! Not hard to work here, just be consisted in whatever you do here. There is a lot of cleaning and dusting, mopping, stocking...etc.
Cons
30 minutes breaks
Insane Staffing
cleaner (Former Employee) –  ottumwaOctober 23, 2015
This is not a small, inexperienced company, yet they sure act like it. I had something on my background from 20 years ago and management wasn't ok with it. Grow up ABM.
Worst company in the world!!!
EVS supervisor (Former Employee) –  southeastOctober 20, 2015
I worked for ABM as a supervisor for 3 years. Don't know how I made it that long. I recently resigned because I couldn't take it any longer, yeah it got that bad. Over those three years had 5 directors, which all resigned as well. The human resources department is a joke, we were always severely understaffed and we had the same open positions for over a year. just recently we had 22 open positions out of 64 total employees but upper management constantly wondered why we had so many issues and problem, I wonder?
Pros
Cons
everything
fun work place to work you see and meet new people every day
maintenance parking servive (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica CaOctober 20, 2015
well presentable company. attentive to every detail. very polite people. near the beach. always busy . time flies. always something to do. simple duties
Pros
safe, honest clean
Cons
too hot during summer .no break room

1.8