AC Transit Employee Reviews

public transportation service
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 18, 2016
great pay great work hours i work inside the office as a data entry clerk.this job gave me a chance to gain experience in working inside the office work place i truly enjoyed it
filed clerk
File clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAAugust 15, 2016
• Organized documents in alphabetical order
• Answer phone
• Send faxes
• Process information into data base
• Scanning and making copy’s
how filed paper work and run an office in profession manner
PeopleSoft Technical Consultant
PeopleSoft Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 22, 2016
• Handling the PeopleSoft application technical issues, data issues, interface related issues
• Monitoring the daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly PeopleSoft job runs and fixing it if any issues occurred.
• Handling Time and Labor rules for NA Payroll
• Mostly working on the Application Engines, SQRs, Data Movers, File Layout, People Code, Component Interface, Workflow, Integration Broker, Process- Scheduler and Security Management
• Taking care of all Tax updates and doing fit gap analysis if any customizations involved.
Productive Team-Orientated Position
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 30, 2015
I learned communication skills, patience and problem-solving in an office environment.
Flexible hours
I was able to have a badge that accessed different departments.
It was mandatory to be prompt everyday with professional attire.
The best part about this job was working off site at different locations and gaining experience that I can apply in the future.
Pros
Decent Pay and Perks
Cons
Short breaks
Great workplace. Excellent training, pay and benefits.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 23, 2015
AC Transit is an excellent company to work for. Training is wonderful, you will be prepared and ready to drive the various buses at your disposal. You will learn patience and how best to exercise your customer service skills. Driving a bus requires paying attention and being focused as many things revolves around you. The folks you train with will probably be your closest friends and sources of support. Most co-workers are very friendly, some you want to stay away from. Depending on your route, you may find dealing with some passengers to be a bit on the difficult side. Completing your shift and the satisfaction of a job well done is the best part of the day.
Pros
excellent work environment. rewarding work.
Cons
trying to keep your schedule. unruly passengers. driving a bus is not for everyone.
ok place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 21, 2015
Decent union and ability to move upward in the company are a plus. Wages could be better and so could management. Apprentice workers are often given the short end of the stick
Pros
union, advancement
Cons
management
Busy environment
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 1, 2014
My days at work are extremely busy. Customer contact levels are high. I have learned how to manage my route and schedule to the minute,load and unload passengers efficiently,handle fare transactions accurately,and maneuver through dense traffic. I have learned to operate all the vehicles that the company has made available to transport passengers. My co-workers are okay. They all grew up in the same area,so they pretty much run together. The hardest part of the job is doing everything in my power to keep my schedule on time,only to have the schedule delayed. The most enjoyable part of the job is driving the vehicles that range in length from 35'-60' in length.
Pros
schedule changes every 90 days, with the opportunity to change shifts and days off.
I have never quite encountered managment that manages without ever raising their voices.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 8, 2014
I learned how to take complete command of a bus,it's schedule and line and work it down to the minute,actually fraction of a minute. I learned to combine driving with close contact with the public,cash handling and customer service queries. I learned how to manuever buses as short as 35' to 60 feet in length as easily as I can manuever a car. The manueverability is really the best part of the job-hands down. (^5 on the training you won't find better). A typical day on the job can vary. It gets rough out there because we are dealing with people that come from all walks of life and come with their own pre-conceived notions of who everyone else should be. My co-workers are ok. Most of them grew up in the same area and as a result tend to stick with those with whom they grew up with. The most enjoyable part of this job as I stated earlier has to be driving the different vehicles that the company has to offer.
Pros
schedule availability
Cons
i really don't want to put ac transit on the spot. as employer and employees, we all know where we fall short and what our best really and truly is.
Hard work and very demanding but great benifets
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 24, 2014
Hardest part of the job is dealing with the customers and dealing with other drivers.
Pros
work tons of hours
Cons
short breaks and doesn't have permanent bathrooms
Receptionist
problem solver (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 28, 2014
Maintain the department, answering incoming calls. Organized and file documents. input information in the computer files.
Managment can be more friendly!
Full-time Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 3, 2014
Im not recommend this company. People who you going to transport not the best. No time for eat or restroom. Management can be more friendly...Good pay and benefits..
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
no breaks, not friendly managment!!!
Productive Workplace
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 4, 2014
Great place to work wonderful people a daily routine you may encounter people that could make you smile or frown
Pros
discount at some business's and banks
Cons
top out pay
Management and union laborers are always battling one another. The environment in some departments is toxic. I prefer the private sector.
HR Receptionist/Sr. Admin. Clerk (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 6, 2014
There are some departments with happy employees due to management. However, for the most part, managers are usually clashing with unions which makes a simple job much harder due to extreme personality, socioeconomic, and subcultural values. Nepotism is rampant for a public agency. Training is poor since several clerks left within a year. I was the 6th clerk in that division in 2012, but I managed to clean up the 5-year backlog in the HR fileroom and 8-year backlog at EEO as well as act as liaison for multiple departments. Managers have a closed door policy since they have too many lawsuits from current and former employees.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
poor managers who want people to work 7 days a week and belligerent union leaders.
working in the customer service fields
BUS OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Oakland CANovember 19, 2013
my daily work schedule consist of driving several different routes on a set time making sure passengers reached their destination in a safe timely manner. I was able to meet many different people from all types of backgrounds and cultures.
Professional workplace
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland,CAOctober 30, 2013
Great place to work if you enjoy sitting most of the time. Great benefit package.
This is a terrible place to work!
Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 7, 2013
After nearly 4 months with AC Transit as their new Planning Manager with good reviews and hard work they told me I was being terminated and escorted me out of the building right then. I asked "why?" and they refused to give me a reason, said they didn't have to give a reason. I know of 3 other people they dismissed this way, one nearly had a heart attack from the shock and sued them. Others were people just doing their jobs and got escorted out. This practice is cruel and damaging for individuals and the organization. How can people improve if no one tells them what they need to change ? How can AC Transit improve their employee relations if they don't get feedback from their employees?

This agency operates with 20 year old management styles, draconian and cruel. The pay and benefits are great if you can stand to be treated this way.
Pros
good pay and benefits and a free transit pss.
Cons
business systems and management styles are 20 years out of date.
Typical day at work
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 7, 2012
get the run number
get the block number
check the buses and make sure there no graffiti and no cuts on the seats.
load the school kids and do a head count.
make sure they dont fight
when all the kids are off the bus check for graffiti and cuts on the seats
Best Job to have
Bus Driver/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 9, 2012
Best Job I ever had things weren't always perfect but it paid the bills and allowed you to save or spoil yourself
Pros
sleep on breaks pool tables tv's card rooms trips
Cons
short or no breaks supervisors are mean

4.4