Acacia Network Employee Reviews

A Learning Experience and great job opportunity.
Residential Aide (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 5, 2015
It was a temporary position and knew what I was signing for. I was a Residential Assistant at the Radisson Hotel in Jamaica, Queens. The Hotel had partnered with Acacia who had 135 families temporarily assigned there until their individual cases was approved or denied by HRA.

My job was logging in the activities of the shelter occupants and reminding them that they must follow the rules while staying at the hotel and the time that Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner would be available including the curfew time which was 10:00pm in the evening.

I remained in communication with other case workers, my supervisor, and the hotel staff/management to resolve problems with the daily operation of the hotel that was related to the shelter occupants.

The hardest part of the job was informing the shelter occupants that they had to vacate their hotel room in the morning. They was picked up by a vehicle and ordered to go to PATH. I had to clean up the room with their personal belongings in several boxes and placed them in the office until the former occupants had picked them up. I even stayed at the job until 1:00am because something had always came up at the last minute. It had to get done or sometimes in the following day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the shelter occupants. Despite their circumstances, they are human beings and want to do better for themselves and their families. They are determined to not let their current situation determine their present and future.

It was a learning experience for me and I am thankful for it. The job has made me more sensitive
  more... to the plight of others and to always be thankful for what I have in my life.  less
Pros
interaction with other people.
Cons
temporary position.
Poor upper Management and no structure or accountability
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  bronx, nyApril 24, 2015
Although this agency is quite large it is poorly managed from the top down. It appears the interest in aquiring more programs and absorbing more agencies is priority to fixing existing programs that are obviously floundering.

The staff are over worked and under paid and very disposable. There is a "pass the buck" mentality and clear scapegoating. This agency has a terrible track record of keeping staff. There is no supervision and no emphasis on professional growth or development.

It is apparent that there are unqualified individuals in very high positions who do not know nor care what is happening. The only directive is "get it done" without help or direction. If you do it wrong then there are punitive consequences. This type of environment of fear is unnecessary and intolerable.
Productive Day with Wonderful residents
Community Residence Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 8, 2014
A typical day would be to start my rounds, check my calenders for appointments for the residents, follow-up with the doctors, ensure all resident have taken their medication and motivate and encourage the residents. I am a team leader two times a week over othe employees. My co-worker love me for the reliability and caring for the residents by ensuring that they are all safe and healthy. The hardest part of the job is when a resident relapse and we have to go through the services again to keep them drug-free by encouring them to attend a drug tx program. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you monitor the residents and you see they are mentally stable by taking their medication daily and moving toward independent living.
Pros
good residents
Cons
have to encourage some residents to succeed
Large organization, equal opportunity employer.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 12, 2016
The shelters are fast paced and most with large turn around numbers. Must be able to document well in order to provide clear record of events. I learned empathy and how to enforce rules and regulations. I developed great communication and organizational skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing clients progress and reach their goals. The hardest part was accepting that some clients are content with their situation and you want more for them and their family than they do.

I would have liked to get more structural guidance from my superiors however being in the field so long I learned how to do most task independently.
The co-workers are easy to get along with. I, myself don't see myself climbing any of their latters.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 17, 2013
I really can't put into words about how things worked there. Everyday is not the same and you can't count on you being the one to finish your project because you can be pulled to start something else. I knew a lot more than most of them and also can improvise. So most of the guys liked to work with me. I love showing them better and easier was of doing somethings. At the same time I love learning myself.
Pros
i got to show off my skills and do special projects.
Cons
working and not getting the materials i need or on time.
Look Elsewhere for a Career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 4, 2014
Pros
The company has a family atmosphere and colleagues generally have a lot of respect for each other. The company is in a growth phase. The work/life balance is ok.

Cons
There is rampant nepotism here. Despite touting a highbrow "Values" statement, ethics and morals at this place are truly nonexistent. IT department is a mess. The CEO and COO are impotent; the CFO has all the power, and he rules this place from an ivory tower and with an iron fist. There is no upward growth in this company because there is no value placed on training or career development.
Pros
see below
Cons
see below
Family oriented company
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 6, 2013
Acacia network is a company that will give one opportunity for growth and first time employers. Ive realized that at times its not beneficial to the company to have non experience personel but if you do you must have great leadership and instructors on board. The hardest part of the job is that your days will be more than 7 hours (w/o being compensated for it) too much nepotism and very latin based. Finding housing for clients who had never had their own and seeing their smiles.
Pros
flexible, do not micro manage
Cons
healthcare too expensive/not enough pay
Unorganized management
Community Resident Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 2, 2014
Meeting with and assisting clients to reach their goals and documenting their progress towards change and independent living.
I've learned that if you put in the effort with each client they give it back to you.
Management is mediocre.
Co-workers are fun to work with but are becoming frustrated due to management.
The hardest part of the job is our concerns not being heard.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping others to bring about positive change in their lives.
Pros
helping others
Cons
the feeling that staff concerns are not important
A place where there is a balance .
Mica Case manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 22, 2013
I am greeted at my door with clients needs and there need to see me. I greet the clients that are in the cafeteria then proceed to my office where I print my calendar. My co workers make their way to my office with information of clients that would like to see me and any messages that where left for me. The overall of my day is calling and receiving calls for clients. Any services that are needed to help them with Independent living plan.
Pros
i love the work that i do . i feel like my life has a purpose.
Cons
my pay rate shoulde be equal to the work that i do.
Fire Safety Director/ Facilities Mangager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 23, 2015
Supervise daily operations of the building
Learned how to deal with challenging personalities of the clients whom entered the building as the building is a mental health and drug abuse facility
Management was respectful and easily accessible for daily updates
Co-workers were hard working and willing to go above and beyond their asked tasks
Dealing with failed equipment
The most enjoyable part was the feeling of accomplishment and a job well done especially on days that are more challenging than others
very productive and Meanful
Residential Aide / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2015
I love this jobs because i love helping and working with people and while being apart of this company i did just that.To me it felt good to help the people at my job because they really needed the assistance .all of the people that came into my job are homeless and are looking for housing and Gainful employment and i love that what i did help them to Achieving those goals.
Pros
room for growth and ability to be cross trained for other positions
Cons
shorts breaks, sometimes none depending on the situation.
If you speak the language you are better than your skills
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, New YorkNovember 17, 2014
A typical day at work is busy, unending interruptions, leading to a face paced and demanding environment. The more you give the more they take. Promises are empty. If going to work is the hardest thing you do all day, perhaps the work is the problem. Surviving the benign conversations of people who want nothing more than to compare themselves to you in every way to be interesting. Autonomy is wonderful way to work.
Pros
autonomy, no micromanagement
Cons
no lunch breaks
Great for gaining experience
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 7, 2015
I learned a great deal of skills relative to social services. The hardest part of the job was trying to meet expectations that were mostly unrealistic based on limited resources. The most enjoyable part of the job was networking and gaining experience in social services.
Pros
Experience and training in social services
Cons
large work loads for low wages, unfair and unsanitary work environments.
team player
out reach staff driver (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2014
I am retired from a long career in the music industry as a marketing
director in the field of latin jazz and tropical music.with many years left for me to explore a new career I chose to become a school bus driver.The industry has suffered hardships and I was forced to look at
other alternatives. I have high work standards, never call out sick
and a team player.thank you
Pros
never late, team player
a typical day at work consist of keeping order in the shelters, great people to work with. Management can be tiring and repitious.
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  queens new yorkFebruary 9, 2015
Theirs not much to tell, I just began this new experience and theirs a lot to learn and I'm eager to jump in with both feet. working as a case worker in this field move swiftly so you must pay attention and accurate.
Co-Workers are extremely nice and good to work with
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 11, 2013
My department (Human Resources) is filled with bright, great people my manager is great very nice and friendly and there when i need any help with anything couldnt ask for anything better.
Pros
1 hr lunch break, everything close by (bathroom)
Cons
for my line of work (pay isnt the best)
fun place to work
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 13, 2015
i worked there for a year and had to leave the job because i moved out of the area, but it was a great place to work. i worked with the infancy and toddler i was a teacher aide there and it was a really good environment to work at have everything necessary to make the work place comfortable
Acacia network is a leader in Healthcare
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx nyOctober 16, 2015
I worked at the organization when it was United Bronx Parents, Acacia took over four years ago. it was a great experience, but I wanted to further my skills at another organization.
Pros
there are lots of resources
Cons
leadership is not consistent
productive and growth
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 29, 2014
I love the interaction and working with people. Helping people and providing service. The hardest part would have to be not enough home time as I would like. Most enjoyable is seeing the client/customer happy and being able to help them reach their goals.
Very Productive
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 6, 2015
I loved working here. These were the best years of my life.

It's too bad I am not there anymore.

Sometimes we have to move on to learn more
Pros
good benefits, great team players, good pay
Cons
some managers are unfair and take things too personal.