Academic Advantage

Academic Advantage Employee Reviews

Great Development Experience
Tutor (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: working with children, independent contractor, setting own workload
Cons: heavy restrictions, difficult to reach management
As an independent contractor with Academic Advantage, you are free to choose how many students you would like to take on, up to a maximum of 6. You are heavily restricted by the No Child Left Behind guidelines and school district policies, which makes it difficult to find a time that benefits students and your own personal life, hence why I gave this a 4* on balance. The greatest part of this job is being able to help enrich disadvantaged students and watch them develop in their basic math and English skills.
Helping Children
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: decent pay, decent customers, rewarding.
Cons: no health care, no raises, no compensation for learning materials, no compensation for travel, management would hold your paycheck if they don't think you deserve it.
I was a tutor for Academic Advantage, and I loved working with children to learn basic math, and reading skills. It was a rewarding job, but unfortunately, there were some issues. I had to pay for my own teaching material, gas for travel, and only got paid at the end of the month. I'd often drive to student's houses, and help them learn various subjects to help them in their struggle in education. The final results after a 6 month period, they all got really great test scores, and one student got accepted to a prep school on a scholarship based on the mathematical skills I taught him. Another student, now can speak clear English, in a Spanish household.
The Right Hand didn't know what the Left Hand was doing!
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2014
Pros: provides good resources for tutoring core cirriculum standards
Cons: too many to list.
What Academic Advantage provided was free "NCLB" tutoring and a promised free Tablet within 90 days, (once the students had completed all their tutoring hours). Some of my Students received the Tablet they had earned two months later than they were supposed to.
They VERY INEFFICIENTLY assigned students.

If you called the Supervisor, you were RARELY responded to. E-Mails were frequently responded to within a day or so.

They supplied good Testing Sites to Pre-Test and decipher the exact student needs by teaching Common Core Standards.

The Tutoring Reources were adequate to most students.
The Post-Testing used exactly the same test as the Pre-Test so you could resonably monitor student progress.

Academic Advantage performed quite poorly in keeping track of the Tutoring Hours reported by Tutors. This detail is important because if I completed and reported every single minute of the required tutoring, and they did not include every single minute correctly into the Hours Completed By Student, they would not send the Tablet my students worked so hard to earn to them. This made me very angry. They did this three times, even though I was able to prove that the students had completed their hours, and that they had been correctly reported. Also, in one incident, though I reported it several times, I tutored a specific student for a time period of 2 hours and fifteen minute, they only credited the student 15 minutes towards their time of completion, and refused to send him his Tablet. They only paid me for the 15 minutes. They were not correcting problems that were brought to their – more... attention.

A typical day included teaching the students learning skills they did not have. We used Internet Resources, SOPs, Books, Flash Cards, Pictures, Examinations, videos, games, and any other tool that was helping that student to understand and make progress in attaing and retaining new knowledge.

The best part was showing tips and tricks for learning to the students, and seeing "That Light" go on in their eyes.

Another best part of tutoring was to help the student to gain self-esteem, confidence, and pride in their new abilities, and see them grinning at the end of a session. I also enjoyed proving to them that: "They CAN DO IT!",. and they already have stored in their brain what they have been taught. I help them build a "Road-Map" to the place in their brain where all that information is hidden. They begin to become fearless in Reading and Thinking. I just LOVE helping them!

The hardest part of the job was finding parking at the student's homes. I managed to persuade almost every student's parents to bring them to me at the Library. This provided me with enough gas to tutor many children, and the time to do it in. The second hardest part was waiting 30 days for a paycheck every month.

I was told that Academic Advantage was no longer permitted to tutor in the school districts I had been working in.

They promised to assist me into getting into a new Tutoring Company position. Almost immediately I was invited to come to work for a new Company. They were "New" all right. Academic Advantage went out of business, and renamed their company. It was the same company, the same difficulties reaching management, and the same habits of lying to parents and employees. and they lied to me about the job position they were employing me for. I directly asked them several times if they were Academic Advantage under a new name. I was repeatedly told "No". I completed the first job position they had tricked me into applying for. They asked me to tutor for them.

I attended two days of Orientation, and found out about several other "manipulations of the truth".

I will not work for a company that is corrupt or acting under-handedly. I will take no part in tricking students or their parents.

On November 18, 2014, I called the Program Co-Ordinator, as directed, (three times) to discuss my employment at his company and left messages to please return my call. He has yet to deign to respond to any of my messages. It has been over a month since I called. It appears that something just is not right with the Company. I am very chagrined that I talked over 50 parents into signing up their children for tutoring with them. Ethically, and Legally I cannot warn the parents.

That is my Review. – less
Productive day with fun activities.
Children's Tutor (Former Employee), Paramount, CADecember 21, 2014
Pros: i made my own schedule.
Cons: no healthcare and was seasonal.
Every tutor appointments with each child was different. Each one had their own way of learning and I adapted to everyone of them. We played online games, cards, board games and used candy, active games and utilized ideas the child thought we great. The hardest part of the job was to meet every child's need. Some required more attention than others, and some were easily distracted. But I was able to improve their learning skills and inspire them to work hard for what they really want in life. And that everything is possible if you believe and put hard work and your heart in it.
was a fun place to work at
Program Aide (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYDecember 13, 2014
working with kids can be fun an challenging but in most cases rewarding
This is an outsourcing company and everything is done virtually, e-mail and by mail.
Enrollment Representative, ELA/MATH Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2014
Pros: you create your own work schedule
Cons: not assigning an specific person to deal with paperwork, which can be a hassle when it gets lost in the mail
A typical day at work was to call parents and find out when they would be available for the class session, get ready with all the material and arriving with the best attitude possible. I learned how to communicate with diversity of people and to deal with the negative, and not availability of some parents. I also learned how to manage my time more productively to have every single paperwork ready to mail and expedite. I did not have co-workers to rely on in case of a question, I forcedly had to e-mail and wait for the representative response in charge, which was the hardest part of this specific job. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was to see the children trust and rely on me for answers.
Helping the Children
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 23, 2014
Pros: helping the children
Cons: getting paid
I really enjoyed working and helping the children reach their full potential. The Kids and their parents were awesome. However, the company was not very organized. The hardest part of the job was dealing with organization.
This job provides a schedule that is flexible
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 20, 2014
I was hired as a tutor to work with underprivileged students with their math studies education. I didn’t know that there are lots of students that need help in my community. Some of the students that I tutored have parents that can’t speak or read English, therefore, making it difficult for them to help their own children. It was a great learning experience and very rewarding
Very Hands on
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: work independently
Cons: random schedule to accomodate parent-student schedule
Worked independently from others
maintained parental contact
Training provided
One-on-one parent consults
Tutor student one-on-one
Flexible hours and great working environment
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 16, 2014
Pros: the students
Cons: no benifits and no job security
When starting the job I was assigned two students as a certain amount of hours were allowed to tutor each student you can pick up additional students. I was laid off for no reason and not even contacted that I was let go. I loved working with children I had patience and made some friends a long the way. Some students had a difficult time learning just had to be extra attentive to their needs. This company was a scam taught I taught job security was there for me.
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2014
Pros: paid well
Cons: not enough hours
Tutor a student one on one, so he/she can advance in their academics.
This job is the very definition of independence. The flexibility is awesome and the tutoring is so rewarding.
Math/English Tutor K-12 (Former Employee), Location VariesAugust 6, 2014
Pros: the independence and the rewarding feeling is great. the pay is awesome.
Cons: its not a full time position and i would like to have pay stubs.
I get an email of a list of students in my district. I make phone calls to parents to set up a time,date, and location for tutoring sessions. They take an exam and then determine their academic goals. I review goals with the parents and ask if they agree. Then I tutor them for two weeks and administer another exam at the end. I then present the results to the parents.
horrible communication
at home tutor (Former Employee), Fontana; Ontario; ChinoAugust 4, 2014
Pros: excellent time flexibility
Cons: horrible office personel
they always loose paperwork. always. which causes for late pay checks. horrible office employees.
You are your own boss.
Tutor (Former Employee), Reedley, CAJune 12, 2014
Cons: everything comes out of your pocket.
Regardless of working on your own time, the benefits are seeing the child you are tutoring advance and learn a thing or two.
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 12, 2014
Pros: flexiable schedule
Cons: summer breaks not paid.
As I tutor I got to work with several individuals in subjects such as Math and English. Most of my students were located in Los Angeles area. I worked one-on-one with students in the privacy of their homes to improve on how to take to pass the California Standard Test.
Enjoyed helping the children with understanding their academics
TUTOR (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 17, 2014
Pros: the entire program was great, full of attributes for the student in the los angeles county unified school district
I tutored 6 children at different times on different days. Once a week we all came together to discuss what we had learned during the week and ask questions about things that may be challenging. The weekly gathering also allowed the children to read out load which assited with hearing and pronunciation of words.

All my children were of mexican descent and were having challenges with communication in class. I found that all the student that were assigned to me have excelled in school today and are on their way to a success educational experience which will lead to a successful professional lifestyle.
Private Tutor
Tutor children (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: one on one time with the child, so the child can recieve a better understanding of what is required from them
Cons: going to their houses. some live in dangerous areas
tutor children in the Compton and Los Angeles area. prepare the children for testing and assisting them with homework to improve academic scores
Great company and flexible
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
I was able to set my hours according to my availability. I tutored children of all ages. Math and English were the main subjects that students had difficulties with. Children enjoyed the activities we taught and improved on test.
Fast-paced environment that demanded accuracy but very rewarding.
Telemarketing Recruiter (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: team-work and enjoyable work environment
Cons: professional growth
A typical day would require me to get a list of prospective clients to call, interview them, and set up an interview within a week.

Well at Academic Advantage I learned to connect with clients and have brief small talk to build a relationship.

I learned to have fun but be productive from my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was the cancellation of prospective clients, especially taking the time to make a last lasting connection.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and having learned from my managers.
Good place to make extra cash
English and Math Tutor (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 14, 2014
I’ve read a lot of online reviews, some good, some bad. My experience has been pretty positive for the most part. At the end of the day it’s a job, no better, no worse than any other job out there. The advantages are it pays better than most, the hours are more flexible than most, and you don’t have a boss breathing down your neck.

1 2 3