Academic Advantage Employee Reviews

Great Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 22, 2017
It was a pleasure to work with children who required a bit more attention than the average student. It really did give me a sense of accomplishment. This was a very rewarding job indeed.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long drives
Good people at work
Assistant Account Rep - Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2017
This was not for me, it was more of an office job then computer work. But good people to work with. Some day were really busy, but I was always up for the challenge.
Great company with student availability
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 31, 2017
As an independent and trustworthy tutor, I provided in-home tutoring to high school students in subjects such as Biology, Pre-Calculus, Algebra II, Calculus, English, etc. Was a great experience.
Fun and Rewarding Place to Work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2017
Nice to help children who are struggling in school. You can schedule your time to meet with the child and it can be at the comfort of a library near you.
Cons
Pay is not guaranteed
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 3, 2016
Academic Advantage is an inspiration for students. As a tutor, the independence in constructing lesson plans showed whether teaching methods were effective or not. The position made a difference when there was test improvement.
Nice as a part time job, nothing else
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 23, 2016
They said that they would match you with parents that had similar availability as you, which was a lie. It was very hard to keep every parent happy with the hours of availability. They make you make up your own lesson plans and you have to document everything. They find any way to deduct money from your check with errors on your report.
Pros
good experience for first time job
Cons
commute
okay
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 2, 2016
The pay is great. You basically work on your own terms and schedule. The company is not helpful. They are more concerned about paperwork being turned in.
Flexible hours
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2016
With this job you work your own schedule, so it all revolves around you. You could make it fun in the way you try and teach the students.
Good Hourly Pay
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAOctober 25, 2015
Decent play to work. $18.00 an hour to tutor kids. Management have problems with payment. Make sure to make copies when sending in time sheets to headquarters.
Tutor students english or math from grades 1 to 12
Tutor students (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles,CAOctober 23, 2015
Tutor students english or math. Try to find ways in which students would be a bit more interested in learning the material and have fun doing so.
Slow Paced and client relations were few and far between.
Field Representative/Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Van NuysJuly 15, 2015
Wait for incoming calls and deal with patients that had issues with their equipment and try and provide a surface with what we had to work with.
Not very organized.
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2015
I liked working here because of the pay and because I could make my own schedule, but in the end it was not a secure job. I was only ensured a position with the company for four months.
Fun workplace
School Aide (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 17, 2015
•Provided snacks to the children

•Picked up the children from their homeroom class and brought them to the afternoon class program

•Provided step by step assistance on homework and assignments

•Handled classroom attendance and made sure students signed in and out

My co workers were very fun , active people. Nice environment
not really a hard job, the most enjoyable part was helping the kids with there work , giving out the snack
Pros
The kids were fun to be around, the teachers as well
Cons
nothing
Great Development Experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 18, 2015
As an independent contractor with Academic Advantage, you are free to choose how many students you would like to take on, up to a maximum of 6. You are heavily restricted by the No Child Left Behind guidelines and school district policies, which makes it difficult to find a time that benefits students and your own personal life, hence why I gave this a 4* on balance. The greatest part of this job is being able to help enrich disadvantaged students and watch them develop in their basic math and English skills.
Pros
Working with Children, Independent Contractor, Setting Own Workload
Cons
Heavy Restrictions, Difficult to Reach Management
Helping Children
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2015
I was a tutor for Academic Advantage, and I loved working with children to learn basic math, and reading skills. It was a rewarding job, but unfortunately, there were some issues. I had to pay for my own teaching material, gas for travel, and only got paid at the end of the month. I'd often drive to student's houses, and help them learn various subjects to help them in their struggle in education. The final results after a 6 month period, they all got really great test scores, and one student got accepted to a prep school on a scholarship based on the mathematical skills I taught him. Another student, now can speak clear English, in a Spanish household.
Pros
Decent pay, decent customers, rewarding.
Cons
no health care, no raises, no compensation for learning materials, no compensation for travel, management would hold your paycheck if they don't think you deserve it.
The Right Hand didn't know what the Left Hand was doing!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2014
What Academic Advantage provided was free "NCLB" tutoring and a promised free Tablet within 90 days, (once the students had completed all their tutoring hours). Some of my Students received the Tablet they had earned two months later than they were supposed to.
They VERY INEFFICIENTLY assigned students.

If you called the Supervisor, you were RARELY responded to. E-Mails were frequently responded to within a day or so.

They supplied good Testing Sites to Pre-Test and decipher the exact student needs by teaching Common Core Standards.

The Tutoring Reources were adequate to most students.
The Post-Testing used exactly the same test as the Pre-Test so you could resonably monitor student progress.

Academic Advantage performed quite poorly in keeping track of the Tutoring Hours reported by Tutors. This detail is important because if I completed and reported every single minute of the required tutoring, and they did not include every single minute correctly into the Hours Completed By Student, they would not send the Tablet my students worked so hard to earn to them. This made me very angry. They did this three times, even though I was able to prove that the students had completed their hours, and that they had been correctly reported. Also, in one incident, though I reported it several times, I tutored a specific student for a time period of 2 hours and fifteen minute, they only credited the student 15 minutes towards their time of completion, and refused to send him his Tablet. They only paid me for the 15 minutes. They were not correcting problems
  more... that were brought to their attention.

A typical day included teaching the students learning skills they did not have. We used Internet Resources, SOPs, Books, Flash Cards, Pictures, Examinations, videos, games, and any other tool that was helping that student to understand and make progress in attaing and retaining new knowledge.

The best part was showing tips and tricks for learning to the students, and seeing "That Light" go on in their eyes.

Another best part of tutoring was to help the student to gain self-esteem, confidence, and pride in their new abilities, and see them grinning at the end of a session. I also enjoyed proving to them that: "They CAN DO IT!",. and they already have stored in their brain what they have been taught. I help them build a "Road-Map" to the place in their brain where all that information is hidden. They begin to become fearless in Reading and Thinking. I just LOVE helping them!

The hardest part of the job was finding parking at the student's homes. I managed to persuade almost every student's parents to bring them to me at the Library. This provided me with enough gas to tutor many children, and the time to do it in. The second hardest part was waiting 30 days for a paycheck every month.

I was told that Academic Advantage was no longer permitted to tutor in the school districts I had been working in.

They promised to assist me into getting into a new Tutoring Company position. Almost immediately I was invited to come to work for a new Company. They were "New" all right. Academic Advantage went out of business, and renamed their company. It was the same company, the same difficulties reaching management, and the same habits of lying to parents and employees. and they lied to me about the job position they were employing me for. I directly asked them several times if they were Academic Advantage under a new name. I was repeatedly told "No". I completed the first job position they had tricked me into applying for. They asked me to tutor for them.

I attended two days of Orientation, and found out about several other "manipulations of the truth".

I will not work for a company that is corrupt or acting under-handedly. I will take no part in tricking students or their parents.

On November 18, 2014, I called the Program Co-Ordinator, as directed, (three times) to discuss my employment at his company and left messages to please return my call. He has yet to deign to respond to any of my messages. It has been over a month since I called. It appears that something just is not right with the Company. I am very chagrined that I talked over 50 parents into signing up their children for tutoring with them. Ethically, and Legally I cannot warn the parents.

That is my Review.
Pros
Provides good resources for tutoring Core Cirriculum Standards
Cons
Too many to list.
Productive day with fun activities.
Children's Tutor (Former Employee) –  Paramount, CADecember 21, 2014
Every tutor appointments with each child was different. Each one had their own way of learning and I adapted to everyone of them. We played online games, cards, board games and used candy, active games and utilized ideas the child thought we great. The hardest part of the job was to meet every child's need. Some required more attention than others, and some were easily distracted. But I was able to improve their learning skills and inspire them to work hard for what they really want in life. And that everything is possible if you believe and put hard work and your heart in it.
Pros
I made my own schedule.
Cons
No healthcare and was seasonal.
was a fun place to work at
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 13, 2014
working with kids can be fun an challenging but in most cases rewarding
This is an outsourcing company and everything is done virtually, e-mail and by mail.
Enrollment Representative, ELA/MATH Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2014
A typical day at work was to call parents and find out when they would be available for the class session, get ready with all the material and arriving with the best attitude possible. I learned how to communicate with diversity of people and to deal with the negative, and not availability of some parents. I also learned how to manage my time more productively to have every single paperwork ready to mail and expedite. I did not have co-workers to rely on in case of a question, I forcedly had to e-mail and wait for the representative response in charge, which was the hardest part of this specific job. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was to see the children trust and rely on me for answers.
Pros
You create your own work schedule
Cons
Not assigning an specific person to deal with paperwork, which can be a hassle when it gets lost in the mail
Helping the Children
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 23, 2014
I really enjoyed working and helping the children reach their full potential. The Kids and their parents were awesome. However, the company was not very organized. The hardest part of the job was dealing with organization.
Pros
Helping the Children
Cons
Getting Paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academic Advantage. Our community is ready to answer.