Academy Bank Employee Reviews

More of a retail store, less of a bank
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 13, 2014
As assistant manager my typical day began nearly two hours before the bank opened, turning off the alarms and generally prepping the site for daily operation. This included opening the vault and prepping the computers and scanner. I would run and enter the previous days numbers to ensure tellers were in-balance and to report the production of the individuals and the office. This was done with a daily conference call that included up to 25 offices. I would assist in determining a daily sales plan that included our daily goals, but my greater responsibility was on managing the office space. This included making sure we were meeting and exceeding compliance standards set out by both federal and bank regulations. I also maintained the supplies necessary for every day operation. I would operate my own teller drawer at times and handled every type of transaction including opening and closing of accounts. I was the main point of contact for disgruntled individuals. At a bank, there is no shortage of persons unhappy with fees earned or misunderstandings of balances available. I learned to take my time in explaining myself and technical situations in this manner. There is a small window to have your explanation received and understood before you'll lose that individuals trust in those situations and that was a learning experience that I am glad I learned quickly. Closing included counting all aspects of the monetary function down to zero. I would ensure each teller was in balance, as well as, the vault, which could be more than $500,000 at times. In my time there, I never came up short  more... or over even a penny. I worked with two managers in my time as assistant manager and they were both very good to me. They explained a lot of the situations I was going to encounter before I ever did. The bank only employed 5 tellers so it was a small office environment and it took a lot from both myself and the branch manager to mediate and dictate those persons. The hardest part of the job to me was the constant sales pressure while trying to ensure customer service was held to the highest levels. Upper management would contend that one is the other, but I ensure you, selling someone a bank product that will debit their account each month when they spend a good portion of the month negative in balance is not good customer service. I found some of the tactics to prey on the ignorance of the clientele base this bank worked with. I enjoyed a lot of the individuals I worked with. Both coworkers and customers. I met some fascinating people and heard a lot of entertaining tales. I also made some lasting friendships. I also enjoyed having the responsibility and control over the office environment. I took pride in my organization and method for maintaining sensitive information and the time-frame routine in ensuring proper destruction of those documents. It may seem strange, but it is satisfying to have a zero difference when you complete a vault audit of a large amount of money.  less
Pros
working with people, managing a large amount of responsibility
Cons
very pressured sales, disgruntled persons on a daily basis
Good work environment with strong potential for growth and personal development. Wonderful employee benefits
Personal Banker and Teller Coach (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 29, 2013
Work would consist of opening the branch, basic cleaning and system booting. Followed by personal in store marketing, transaction processing, and opening/maintaining accounts. Management treats their role as a leadership where employees are encouraged to grow with them not for them. The job was challenging when irate or distraught customers demanded things that were not possible, such as refunding whole transactions etc. Through these situations opportunities were given to improve customer service skills and strengthen sales techniques. I personally learned quite a bit about how the average person views banking in general, and how to properly maintain your own accounts and finances. It has been wonderful being able to help customers when they find themselves in unforeseeable positions or emergencies by either helping to educate them on the workings of their accounts or helping them stretch/utilize the funds available to them to meet their need, or if these funds were insufficient directing them to other products like loans which would help them to make ends meet.
Pros
wonderful work place for personal and professional growth with strong benifits package
Cons
lack of cohesive communication from higher level management, small problems with review/pay increase process
Fast paced environment and always stayed busy
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 2, 2015
Working for my last company it was an enjoyable experience from the customers to the employees and with everything inbetween that includes filing, customer relations, confidential matters and management. There wasn't anything I couldn't overcome from being short staffed to being the only manager for months at a time. I enjoyed everything about my last positon, nothing was to small or to much. I learned a great deal about myself while working for a bank. I grew as a person and as a leader. Being able to hire and retain employees was a struggle at the bank, but I managed to retain employees with new ideas, friendly competitions and motivation. I had great support from upper manangment with all new ideas and backing me with the way I manage. It was a career that I could learn something new everyday. I enjoyed working for a fast paced enviornment and a never ending learning experience. Didn't have to work Saturday's but would to ensure that my business was growing.
Pros
Set my own schedule, set employee schedules, didn't have to work weekends if I didn't want too but I would on Saturdays, Dealing with confidenntial information and feeling apart of a bigger picture.
Cons
Not enough employees. The training wasn't long enough for employees, to high of a turn over rate.
Financial Institution
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, COMarch 20, 2013
I enjoyed and learned the most from working for Academy Bank. In the two years I worked for the
company, almost every month I was in the top three sales employees in the whole company. The
branch I worked for in Denver was the top sales branch every month and is where I learned most
about sales. I have never had a check come back bad and every fraudulent check I came across I
caught and earned an incentive for catching the check. I was trusted enough to perform manager
duties before I became a manager which consist of: balancing the ATM, balancing the vault,
opening Business and IRA accounts, loss & prevention, and inventory & ordering. When I became
an Asst. Manager I performed a few more duties which consist of handeling more serious customer
complaints, managing tellers, Imaging checks, Fixing outages (drawers, Blotters, and Image
Suspense), Auditing tellers and the Branch, following strict procedures to complete reports in a
timely manner, and do maintnance on the branch when equipment breaks.
Pros
bonuses, good customers, hours, breaks, holiday pay
Cons
work all but 4 holidays, (easter, thanksgiving, christmas, & new years
Academy Bank
Personal Banker / Asistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COApril 21, 2012
The branches are located inside a retails tore and quite noisy. Customers were quite rude and verbally dificult quite often.
A typical day is busy off and on. The regular duties are performed but training the new employees how to do a specific job is also dealt with.Also, reviewing accounts with customers.

The management was unstable. For a few years the staff would be stable, then, all staff would be changing every few months, including the manager and assistant manager.

I did learn to work with a wide variety of people. I learned patience and communicating with a diverse population.

The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with new managers and their way of doing things. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

The most enjoyable part of the job was befriending the regular customers and chatting with them as they came in. Also, helping them with issues that needed to be corrected.
Pros
was able to work with school hours
Cons
no raises, retail scheduling, schedules changing on daily basis
unprofessional
Personal banker/Teller (Former Employee) –  lafayette coloradoMarch 12, 2015
Its a good place to get experience but once you get the experience LEAVE its Unprofessional Mcdoanlds pays Better then academy bank and gives better raises!!!! All the management cares about is SALES SALES SALES. They care so much for it that they will do anything to get product they are always short staff and have different people every day there is never a full staff in any branches because employees get treated like dirt... Personal bankers make more then assistants and managers!! Assistants make 660 every two weeks and i calculated all that and they make 8.25 hourly WHEN PERSNAL BANKERS START OFF AT 10 AN HOUR!!! there was a MANAGER WHO WORKED FOR THE COMPANY FOR 6 YEARS AND WAS ONLY MAKING 800 EVERY TWO WEEKS ummmm can u say pathetic!!!!! Oh and not to mention when your with the bank for a year they give you a raise would u guys like to know How much that is hmmmm like 0.14cents!!!! Woooooooooo thats one huge of a raise haaaaa NOT...think twice before you apply
good starting job..... but
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  COOctober 6, 2013
It is an eaiser bank to get started in, incentives seem really good until you find out other banks in your area are paying more per hour. In fact fast food pays better than working for Academy Bank! There is high high manager turn over. The companys favorite thing to do seems to be promoting someone into management, pronise them shorter than 50 hours a week, and an assint or branch manager to be hired asap, then let them burn themselves out, doing the work of 2 people. In my time with the company, I have seen 3 managers quit without notice, and 2 others talking about quiting frequently! There are 5 branches on the westernslope, only one of which has retained a banker turned manager for more than 6 months. there are no branches that have both Assistant & Branch Manager on the western Slope!
Pros
they like to hire with no previous bank expeirence, easy to move up because of high management turnover
Cons
constantly changing procedures/expectations
First job
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CO 80011December 6, 2012
Every day at Academy Bank was very tedious. Despite the work, the customer base, and the routine being the same every day, it was quite the learning experience for me. Occupying the job as a personal banker/teller taught me several skills including cash handling, customer service, stronger work ethic, and building relationships. The management was empathic and strong-willed, and always encouraged the workers to go beyond their limits. My co-workers were supportive and always livened up the work space. The hardest part of the job was keeping everyone calm and collected when angry customers approached the bank. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was receiving the overall satisfaction of solving every problem and answering every question a customer had before sending them on their way.
Pros
great learning experience, great coworkers, skill building
Cons
long hours, small work area, short staff
A great place to work to learn the world of banking. Not the most proffessional workplace, but still teaches the necessary skills.
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Falcon, ColoradoAugust 9, 2015
Days usually can get quite stressful when dealing with certain customers and certain employees. You are given quite a lot of responsibility and the slightest mistake can get you into very big trouble. Management makes promises thy cannot keep and the turnover rate is extremely high. Co-workers are what gets me through my day. I work with people that I have become friends with outside of the workplace. Hardest part of the job is responsibility. As I said before, there are many ways to mess up and not everything is reversible. Most enjoyable part is the job title. Telling someone you work at a bank makes you look very good on paper.
Pros
Insurance benefits
na
Personal Banker/ Manager Backup (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 9, 2013
• Immense experience in providing customer service in banking and retail environment
• Handled managerial duties , such as completing daily blotters, vault works, and daily scanning of work
• Familiarity with cash handling, origination, processing, and booking new loans
• Provided assistance to customers and informed about all bank products and services
• Specialized in cross selling a variety of bank products and services
• Administered opening of all new personal accounts and business deposits
• Developed and implemented sale campaigns to expand customer base
• Ensured compliance to all security policies and procedures in all processes
• Maintained customer confidentiality at all times
Pros
na
Cons
na
Very little chance of promotion within...
Assistant Banking Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Delta, COAugust 2, 2015
There is a high turnover rate with this bank due to lack of promotion from within and inadequate compensation. I enjoyed working at this branch with my team. One thing I would change is that when hiring, they seem to hire people with minimal to no banking experience or knowledge, which leads to mistakes that cost the branch financially. Unfortunately, Academy Bank has a bad reputation within the community which makes it difficult to bring in new accounts. My other issue is their training is minimal to none.
Pros
My customers, my team
Cons
Lack of promotion, inadequate compensation
A very bust fun enviroment
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 8, 2014
A typical day at work is very fun dealing with several different walks of life. I learned how to be patient and how to listen. Management was terrific as long as you performed your daily duty. My co workers where very good nobody ever had a bad attitude. Other then paying close attention to detail there was no hard part about the job. Managing money and paying close attention to things is very easy to me so the whole job was enjoyable.
Pros
wearing a dress shirt and tie looking professional
Cons
constantly having agry customeers no matter what
Professional and fun place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 19, 2013
A typical day was staying busy moving and having fun get to meet new people. I learned new things in this field everyday. My manager was great and understanding when it can to her employees and with the customers. I loved working with my co-workers because we all worked as a team. The hardest thing about this job was making sure all of our customers where satisfied with our service after they had a hard day at work. The most enjoyable part of my day was all day working with all of my customers and meeting new people.
Pros
free refreshments
Cons
health care
Academy Bank
Assistant Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 5, 2012
Academy bank was a very good employer if you succeeded in your sales goals. Upper Management constantly asked for more accounts even though the current account base was suffering due to charge off accounts, or customers not using. I believe that if Academy Bank wants to continue to succeed then they need to stop worrying about selling so many accounts and focus more on customer satisfaction and contacting customers after account opening.
Pros
recongnition when you do good.
Cons
product focused vs customer focused
Productive and structured environment with great co workers and assistant manager
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Harrisonville, MOSeptember 1, 2014
While at Academy Bank I gained knowledge of the banking world. I was taught how to open and close accounts and how to help customers manage their banking needs. I had the best Assistant Manager there. He taught me everything I knew there. He was friendly and kind and had away of teaching that I understood. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing all account holders come in. I built a relationship with them and it was truly rewarding.
Good place to learn about banking.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CODecember 10, 2013
I always went in early and worked late. Get all the morning and evening numbers in, record all the sales etc. Do sales out front. Respond to constant emails and several conference calls a day.
Wait on customers, problem solving. My staff was great. Goals are not set fairly. Customer Service and helping the customers is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
loyal customers
Cons
didn't have the traffic for goals set, didn't feel like i was allowed to run my office
Not very Employee Focused
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Evergreen, COJune 26, 2014
This bank is a Retail bank and not focused on their workers. It's all about meeting quota's and sale's. They don't really care about their customers either, just as long as they open enough accounts or get loans. You make fast food wages with low incentives and rarely a bonus unless you outsell everyone else.
Pros
1 hour lunch, bankers hours, you dont even make bankers income
Cons
sell sell sell, low wages, low incentives
Fun and Competitive
Sales Associate/Teller (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO.October 4, 2013
Working at Academy Bank was so awesome! Being a Sales Associate involved me to have to compete with my co-workers which wasn't a problem. It was very fun and helped motivate each other. I had the chance to meet new people and built a great relationship with my customers. My supervisor made it more easier and fun when he gave us things to compete for. I really miss working at Academy Bank.
Great in regards to meeting new people, lacking in others
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COFebruary 9, 2014
I enjoyed my time there up till the end, except for high quotas, it was a fun place to work and even make friends, however after deciding to go back to school and a co-worker having a medical emergency the political drama was annoying.
Pros
in rural areas, its like a family.
Cons
rural places have similair quotas a the big cities; drama.
Challenging Work Enviorment
Banking Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, CONovember 16, 2015
Company has to much focus on marketing and sales and not enough training and skill building in knowledge of the financial industry and duties involved with the operational side of keeping a stable branch.
Pros
Rewards from Sale Activity
Cons
Consist changing of staff members