Academy Bus Employee Reviews

Daily performance
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDSeptember 14, 2017
Drive and operate a commercial passenger bus; transported passengers to and from scheduled stops; and collect bus fares, validate passes. Complied with State driving regulations and safety rules and procedures.
Pros
Really enjoy the people
Cons
mechanically problems
Problem here is mgt
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hoboken and MiamiSeptember 12, 2017
I worked for them in Hoboken and Miami. Management is as poor as it gets. That is the main reason not to work for Academy. There are far better companies to drive for.
Pros
When driving you don't deal with mgt.
Cons
Mgt don't care if you have a life. They will push you until you drop. As far as they are concerned, next man up.
No life/Bad management
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 23, 2017
If you want to have a life dont wotk here. You can make up to $200 per day sometimes, but ne ready to start at 4:00 am and finish your day at 1:00 am the next day. So, yeah, you'll be making like $3 per hour. Go work for Academy and kiss your life goodbye
Pros
Cons
Bad management. Long hours and no life
Ok place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 24, 2017
Laid Back low stress job!
Easy Tasks
Flexible Scheduling
Great benefits and driver perks
Overtime optional
Paid Weekly
Great Co-workers
Nice Supervisors
Not friendly very disrespectful trust me just do a application and you see
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 23, 2017
If you black you'll have to only wash the bus whites don't want to see a young black man to feed his family. The supervisor is the worst human being in the world
Pros
Good pay (yea right)
Cons
Ha funny
excellent benefits
Fleet/Bus mechanic (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAMay 11, 2017
excellent benefits and decent pay, but an extremely unsafe and disorganized work place combined with inexperienced mechanics and disgruntled drivers amounted to a stressful low morality working environment.
outside work
Field dispatch (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 14, 2017
job was very flexible with my hours but didn't like the management and they always messed up my pay because of the way they put in hours always had to get double checks for missing hours.
Pros
great flexible hours
Cons
incorrect pay
No communication
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJApril 4, 2017
Low pay. no overtime, they consider overtime 10hrs over 40 at straight time. Use the you work on the bus so you don't get time and half. the bus cleaners were the ones that got time and half. got ignored about health benefits for family. say one thing about pay rates and give you less then what your told.
every day wasdifferent
Head Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Pomona, NJFebruary 21, 2017
I went back to Academy Bus as started this job as a dispatcher on the second sift. In six months I was promoted to Head Dispatcher this capacity I am in charge of three shifts and handle about one hundred thirty buses a day and four dispatchers, which dispatched motor coaches on charters, airport pickups and commuters and line runs to from Atlantic City to New York City on a twenty four day operation. I made sure that the drivers had all paper work and they were on time. I check in drivers that were coming into Atlantic City. Settle any customer problems that might occur on the bus or off. I left here after they close the Terminal down .
Pros
helping people
Cons
management
Trying to Start a job/career with
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach/Boca Raton, FlDecember 19, 2016
2 times I have applied to Academy Bus in West Palm Beach, Fl for bus driver and 2 times I was turned down because I do not meet the qualifications for bus driver at Academy Bus. Please tell me what qualifications and requirements do I need to have other than the qualifications and requirements that I have had for 30 years and bus companies that I have either worked for or working for finds my qualifications along with my record and background checks to be true, clean, accurate, meetable and passible while Academy Bus of West Palm Beach has a problem with. Please tell me so that I can either work on meet the requirements or there might be an error in the company background check system

Comment – December 23, 2016

I guess that this particular hiring process of Academy Bus Lines of West Palm Beach takes time. So what I will do is stay positive and keep applying to Academy Bus of West Palm Beach for bus driver because I know that my qualifications, requirements, record and background check is true, clean, accurate, meet able and passible that any bus company nationwide including Academy Bus West Palm Beach would just be delighted in having me working for them. Thank you.

Comment – December 23, 2016

Even though management of Academy Bus of West Palm Beach tells me to give up trying to have a job/career with Academy Bus. I cant. As long as Academy Bus of West Palm Beach has contracts that provide bus service to Century Village in Boca Raton, Century Village in West Palm Beach, and Golden Lakes Village in West Palm Beach and perhaps other Century Village and Kings Point to come. I have to keep applying to Academy Bus West Palm Beach for bus driver because on the other side lies my ultimate retirement process plan system as well as South Florida is growing and I would like to do my part in provide bus service. So please management of Academy Bus West Palm Beach, Indeed Job Sight and other Job Sight, Please help me get this job career this means a lot to me. Thank you.

The buses are always broken down .
Bus OperatorBus operator (Current Employee) –  Braintree MassachusettsNovember 9, 2016
Been at the company for almost 2 years. The buses is always breaking down. In the summertime there's no AC and in the winter time there's no heat sad but true. The turnover rate at the Braintree office is ridiculous. I have seen about nine dispatchers come and go about 20 drivers coming and go.They have a very hard time keeping anyone working there. Most people come there if they just received there CDL license to get the experience at one point they was offering a $5000 sign on bonus a lot of people didn't even stay for that.
If You Have a Life/Family Stay Away
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  NJOctober 31, 2016
This place is not it if you have a wife and kids or a girlfriend. If you're just an average Joe, this is your dream job. This place will make you pay bus tickets, even if its beyond your control, and work you to death. You start early mornings between 3 and 6am and you don't get done til between 6 and 9pm. Long days! Very stressful! About an average 5 hours sleep nightly. Management is unfair and misleading. They will give your runs away to accommodate other drivers and leave you with the bad runs. Just alot. I can't fit everything here, but I will say that I wouldn't recommend. There are other places to work!
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Don't Have a Life
academy
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJAugust 12, 2016
large company many states i worked for the company twice not happy with how the treat their employees in nj you get paid time-b-half in fl you get only stright time thats crazy and you work 6days a week under staff in fl
Military style treatment/ Corporate Offices
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJune 13, 2016
Overbearing management. Direct supervisor a total workaholic who won't even let you answer the phones doesn't believe in lunchbreaks . they want you to have no life . Military style environment . the pay and benefits are average . If you just want a paycheck its the perfect place to work. If you want to be able to succeed ,advance and make a better life for your family it will never happen at Academy Bus.
Pros
you get a paycheck
Cons
Collections Manager a total workaholic who will keep you in your place.
Charter Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2016
Great company to experience tour and travel.
Opportunity to work in different departments.
Get to experience networking in private company events.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Not much opportunity for overtime
it was a Job that helped me support my family
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJFebruary 2, 2016
over the road trips in which i learned different states and how to navigate thru them. Not too good management the co-workers were good. hardest thing was going over the road a lot.Most enjoyable part was not having to be supervised while on the road.
Pros
Home everynight
Cons
low pay for long trips
find another transportation company
maintenance manager (Former Employee) –  leo & perth amboyDecember 29, 2015
I started out as a shop foreman & moved to a maintenance manager position. The company does not pay the techs time & half so it's tough to find quality mechanics. The northeastern maintenance manager is a bully & doesn't know what's going on. The same can be said for the manager that oversees the operation. He plays favorites & only listens to the terminal managers. I resigned due to sub par maintenance practices. I found half the fleets abs systems disabled & found out who was responsible. Management let it go!
Pros
401k & benefits
Cons
pay could be better
Great work place.great management and great co-workers.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJJune 6, 2015
Start early in the morning,get done late at night.long hours of downtime.Paid by the trip.Great pay and benefits.The hardest part of the job is sitting on the heavy traffic most of the time.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Long hours.Long sitting time between the day.
was no a place for me
Second shift bus technician (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJDecember 8, 2014
was not a place for me . idid inspection and performed repaires as needed
academy bus
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 25, 2014
great company and good pay with benefits. the hours just did not work for me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Bus. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7