Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,571 reviews matching the search
Good First Job Experience Overall
Apparel Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNMarch 28, 2016
Pros
20% Discount
Helpful Managers and Team Leads
Good hours depending on store
Great atmosphere depending on store

Cons
-Apparel is hard work depending on the store. I have worked at two stores one in GA and TN. The GA store was extremely busy and the managers could be pretty strict on the closers. If wasn't right we did it over. Average time going home was 11:30p.m.
- being called as a back up cashier constanly due to under staffing
- TN Store is extremely dead and I barely make 20hrs for bi-weekly pay. The store is fairly new but the staff here are extremely lazy in apparel and unknowledgeable. For the store to be so dead all the time the zone is pretty bad.

*Update*
I did eventually get a few more hours and a .25 raise after a year.
Job is still pretty boring and if you like fast pace, it might not suit you.(TN STORE)
Pros
discount
Cons
no room to move up
Excellent pay with advancement opportunities
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Evans, GAFebruary 29, 2016
A fun and enjoyable place to work for at times. The management and senior team leads are great. However, they have a few Team Leads that abuse their power and are a leading cause in their turnover percentage. The hardest part of my job is smiling and being nice to every customer regardless of how they treat you. The most enjoyable part of my job is the family friendly environment. You can always work, talk, and have fun. A typical day at work consisted of assisting customers with purchases and the store with sales primarily, followed by stocking and zoning while slow.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly coworkers, amazing discounts
Cons
Unstable hours
Great coworkers, uneducated management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXFebruary 19, 2016
For a supervisor at my specific store, a day at work consisted of 25% cash register, 25% helping customers, and the other 50% miscellaneous activities. I learned a lot about customer interactions, which can be important in all careers. Management was the low point of my store. Most managers were lazy and arrogant, and some just plain uneducated. I even had a manager get into an argument with a customer, when the customer asked a question about our policy, after which he stated, "I'm not sure ma'am, I'm not up to date on our policy. Sorry." That was the end of the conversation. No assistance given. The same situations would happen with our employees. Overall the job was easy. The hardest part was dealing with some customers (which is to be expected).
Life at Academy Sports and Outdoors
ASSET PROTECTION ASSOCIATE (SECURITY) (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALMarch 5, 2016
I worked Asset Protection Associate. It was security and inventory control that I dealt with. I worked in a group with either of 5 or 3 people, including the team lead. We dealt with the stores entire inventory, from doing cycle counts, to fixing the counts ourselves when we came across issues. We also dealt we rtv's, damages, in store use, and any other issues. The security part, was us monitoring the front door, following and deterring known thieves, and alerting management of the situation.
Pros
I learned retail inventory and about security
Cons
I couldn't get full time, because there was no room for advancement.
Terrible place to work
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 1, 2016
This is truly the worst place I have ever worked. Management is lazy and clueless about their employees and work performance. Management stays in the office and doesn't work or mentor their employees. When they are on the floor which was not often they were talking sports with their favorites. They also promote lazy employees that such up to Managers instead of the hard working, well qualified employees. The Store Director needs to be fired because he bullies his employees!
Pros
Stay away you can do better
Cons
Poor Management
Management is OK...
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 16, 2015
The management likes to pick favorites and makes you do certain tasks that aren't even yours if you aren't one of them. The people working there are all mostly Texas State students so we are all around the same age working until we start our careers. It's a great place to meet people, make friends, learn the value of having a really clean store and also how to treat each individual customer throughout your time behind an Academy name tag.

In all the hardest thing about the job would be cleaning up after grown adults who should know to hang things up the way they found it. Bending over and sometimes even crawling in the floor to get to things people like to stash into the small areas in the store also is a big pain.

But throughout all of the experience over the past few months there has been many days of just doing an easy job and the best part about leaving and ending the day is that you know you are getting paid, even if it is crawling and cleaning after people you don't even know.
Pros
hour breaks for full shifts, relaxing slow days sometimes, getting paid better than fast food
Cons
not very good medical benefits, the management, the messes through the entire store
Unique environment with growth potential
Senior Team Lead/Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCSeptember 19, 2015
Unlike other retailers, Academy emphasizes it's culture above all else. In an effort to establish long-term growth, profitability, and a uniquely fun and diverse workplace, Academy leverages a flexible and entrepreneurial culture to all of it's associates. From the newest to the most seasoned veteran, everyone is empowered to make dynamic decisions to influence the success of the business. While several new roles and changes have been implemented, yet undefined, this company promises to be a retail-force to be reckoned with in the coming years.
Pros
Flexible work dates, yearly performance revues with raise-potential, and growth potential
Cons
Difficult to grasp management structure, low pay, and high turnover
Excellent Company
Loss Prevention Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, GAFebruary 22, 2016
This is a growing retail chain and provides a good opportunity for employees interested in a career in warehouse shipping and receiving or in retail management.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
none noted
Productive.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Monroe, LAJanuary 15, 2016
I learned a lot of customer service skills with this job. It was a challenge everyday which lead to competitive social skills and I learned a lot by working in the gun department. I loved the management there they were always understanding and worked well with me as a team. The hardest part about the job was just wanting to be willing to set new POGs but taught me a lot on how they rotate items in the store and how to organize merchandise. The most enjoyable thing about the job was always learning something new everyday and taught things on a higher level of retail.
Great workplace that worked well while attending college
Apparel Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 13, 2015
Academy has been a great team experience during college, worked well around my classes and other things in my life. Co-workers were always great and friendly. The best management staff, even offered benefits for outstanding customer service.
Pros
Long breaks, benefits, discounts, lunches
Cons
Long hours, late nights
alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 4, 2016
it was a good part time job but management was lack the job culture was lacking it was a revolving door as far as workers there was no advancement and people were always leaving
fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCApril 4, 2016
Pretty good company to work for
managers are understanding
learned time management
customer service
co workers are pretty cool
hardest part is during black friday and those long hours
Pros
pay
Cons
short breaks
fun workplace
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYNovember 10, 2015
This is a great place to work, my co workers became a second family to me and they taught me a lot. It is very rewarding having customers tell you how great of a job you did helping them and that they will be back, there are a lot of benefits that can be earned the longer you are with the company and the management is very understanding and helpful when you need it. I learned a lot about working as a team and about communicating with others in general. It sometimes got hectic, like any other job, you have to be able to keep calm and work at a very quick but steady pace in these times to ensure that things go smoothly but overall it is a great place to work!
Cons
pay
Loss Prevention Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJanuary 24, 2016
Great place to work, have always had an overall great experience. Management works right alongside with us. We are always training to keep everyone up to date on company policies. Work team is like a family.
Pros
Benefits, friendly family like staff, great work environment
Cons
Stress to complete projects with not enough manpower
typical day
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 25, 2016
I would break freight. Stock clothes in designated areas. Sometimes we would merchandise every other day. Or change prices on clothes/items sales. On Sundays the team and I would do markdowns as well as price checks. I enjoyed folding clothes for long hours with co-workers. I felt as if my team was a family. I got a lot of respect from my managers and colleagues. Academy was about teamwork. I was an excellent worker and enjoyed getting to know everyone around me. I was also Team lead a few times when my manager was not present. I never let my head get big. I took my job very seriously and resented my decisions in the past, for example, i might have taken my job a little too serious and took things personally. I would say that in almost everyone has a way of growing up I will say that I was a little on the tender side when it came to the personal level. Meaning I took things to heart Still love this company, and I am a team player.
Pros
good exercise, time goes by fast. Over time
Cons
night job can be hard when working over time and lack of communication
Super busy but fun workplace
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 13, 2016
A typical weekend day at work is usually very busy. However, during the week it is usually very slow and the day drags on. I learned a lot about the products that Academy sells and how our return policies work. Management for the most part was okay. There were only two managers that were hard to work with. However, that was because if they worked together they felt like you were supposed to listen to them over anyone. My co-workers were awesome! I never really came across a co-worker that didn't care for me or that I didn't care for. The worst part about my job is that fact that I stand at the door all the time and hardly ever get to do anything. However, knowing that people are greeted by a smiling face and are not afraid to ask me where something is or if something is worth buying is what I enjoy most about my job.
Pros
hour break, popular store, friendly co-workers
Great company but poor management at local level
Administrative Assistant/Human Resouces (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJanuary 29, 2016
Academy Sports is an awesome company. Unfortunately the Lake Mary store is poorly managed. Their benefits are excellent and room for growth is available.
Pros
Growing company
Cons
Poor management at local level
Usual retail job, rough because new store
Camping Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 24, 2016
I was hired before the store was even open. I helped unload the first trucks, helped put in the new stock, and was there the store first opened. I put a lot of love and hard work into the store I worked at, but with most retail, the "corporate bigs" and the staff butt heads. With it also being a new store in the area, getting used to how everything ran was quite difficult. I was with this company for over a year and could run half the store, yet when I left I was only given an honory promotion, due to the fact that the person above me left but we didn't have the money to promote. Retail is a double edge sword: you love to see the smiling faces and good reviews from those you help, yet the drag of the customers and bosses messing stuff up or making your day harder drags you down.
Pros
Awesome "back stage" experience of opening a store, met great friends, fun to open a new store to a state
Cons
The usual retail hum drum, promises of easy promotion untrue, understaffing, unrealistic sales goals
fun and flexible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 2, 2016
fun place to work
awesome staff
some problems with team leaders but over all great company to work for.
Management was pretty good
Pros
good breaks good pay good benefits
Cons
rude team leaders
okay job but hard to keep
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXMarch 7, 2016
First and foremost let me say i enjoyed this job as a whole. That being said the systems in place there are a joke. The phones and other equipment for proper merchandising are clearly very dated. They constantly break or have to be manipulated just right to even function. The best part of the job is definitely the coworkers, Everyone i encountered here was friendly and moderately helpful. The management is satisfactory. They do an ok job at just about everything.
Pros
Good Coworkers, Good Hours
Cons
Bad systems. Bad communication between management and employees

Academy Sports + Outdoors Reviews by Location