Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,608 reviews matching the search
Terrible management.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Sugar land, txJuly 14, 2015
You are scheduled to 10 p.m. But you see the time is 1 a.m. And you are still working. They are only flexible if you are part time. Even if you say you can only work certain hours they will schedule you past your availability. Some of the managers honestly are pathetic you aren't to pretty to do something.

I'm an hard worker but no one will take advantage over me, and that is what they'll do. It's fun at first until you see there true colors. They will not be flexible, and you have to make sure they give you your raise.
Pros
Getting off
Cons
Terrible management, long hours, non professional environment, post to many good workers
Great Company with Great Benefits and Opportunity.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2015
Academy was a Great Company to work for. Benefits were great as well as the opportunity for advancement. You have unlimited resources to effectively get your job done. As a Manager, I felt I had allot of support from upper level managenent as well as the empowerment to make day to day decisions.
Pros
Pay, People, Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Long Hours, Weekends.
N/a
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 2, 2015
I loved my experience here! I enjoyed to managing staff. I loved going to work. Some customers were rude but for the most part the job was easy. Most people hated customer service but I loved working it.
Pros
Flexability with scheduling, work hours, wages, management
Cons
Lack of benefits for part-time
Great Experience for 2nd Job Opportunity
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 12, 2016
I began working here in the Camping Department - love the outdoors! Quickly began to see that my skill set better suited for more direct contact with customers. The Management Team saw the same thing and moved me up front - customer service and cashier - where my people skills would shine. I learned to operate a cash register and process returns for customers. I was regularly complimented through surveys for the way I correspond with customers. Working with mostly younger employees, it gave me a great opportunity to demonstrate friendliness and what a strong work ethic is all about. The hardest part of each shift was being on my feet for 4-6 hour stretches without being able to sit down.
Pros
Helping Customers; Interacting with Employees
Cons
No Benefits for Part-Time; Long Stretches of Being on My Feet
Very fast paced but fun work environment.
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 5, 2016
A typical day at work would be arriving to work and clocking in then going to the fitting room to check and see what my task for the day is. While completing our tasks I also need to be keeping up with the customers and making sure they are finding everything they need. By the end of our shifts if we aren't completely done then we need to make sure whatever the next shift coming in after us will know what wasn't completed so it can get finished. If you are apart of the closing shift then you need to make sure the floor and everything is cleaned and put back in it's right place so it's ready in the morning when the store opens so it's presentable for the customers.
Pros
Great co workers and productive work days.
Cons
Slow days we didnt really get to do our job because there isn't to much to do.
It was a learning experience because that was my first retail job.
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 11, 2016
A typical day was steady to busy because we were a reasonably priced sporting good store and we had great customer service. I learned the behind scenes of the process was to maintain a successful retail store. The management was very involved in the everyday process and hands on with the customers and products. Everyone that I worked with was hard working and we knew how to work as a team to help one another. The hardest part of the job was recovering the store during work hours and servicing customers at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the knowledge I gained about the retail industry and the different aspects and equipment about sports I wasn't familiar with.
On The Job
Fulltime Team Lead Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 19, 2015
A great place to work especially if you are a college student. This company works with all school and personal schedules. The benefits for all workers are generous including what the vendors have to offer the associates as well.
Pros
Various Benefits
Cons
N/A
Retail.... need I say more
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GANovember 20, 2015
I really enjoyed interacting with people everyday. The benefits are good. The management is a bit lacking in some areas as far as knowing their department and associates.
Fun part time job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 4, 2016
I worked there back when I was a teenager trying to make some extra money. That is the kind of job it is, dont expect to earn a living off of it. I worked in the camping dept moving freight in the mornings so there was a lot of heavy lifting, at least in my dept. They pay could be more we only make 8.25/hr. But its been three years so my information is outdated. You do get a 20% discount on all products including guns and ammo. For the most part you just help customers with anything theyre looking for, I spent countless times with people who knew nothing about camping helping them buy the right items for their camping trips. The co workers were very nice and you make a few friends. You wont get any full time work there unless youre a manager.
Pros
20% in store discount, 45 minute lunches
Cons
Poor management, part time hours, low pay
Productive and Helpful Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2016
Very welcoming and friendly workplace, was offered supplies and help if needed, never felt under educated about job operations. Job taught more about customer service and stocking in the store room and on the sales floor, Management was very helpful and welcoming to anyone and everyone, very adequate help from managers and coworkers as well as from other stores. Hardest part of the job would be the Zoning and Sizing but that was pretty easy for me to understand, most enjoyable part would be the people and the vibe when you walk into store everyone is welcoming and very very helpful in all departments
Pros
1 Hour Breaks, Good Pay, Helpful Environment
Cons
Long Hours, Messy at times
Great place
Space Planner (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJune 20, 2016
Management was horrible they don't believe in training people the manager was putting me off on other people to train me so they wanted to let me be laid off because they feel as though that they don't have time to train and it still much work to be done so I had to file unemployment on them come to find out they really didn't have a reason to fire me so I had a wonderful time warner appointment cuz I made really good money there but the management is horrible so lot of people that quit there because of management and they really need to look at who they hire for management or they want that company to do they need to do
Pros
Great pay wonderful hours Monday through Friday 8 to 5 holidays off and paid good insurance
Cons
Hate the managers
Typical job rather than career. Hard workers have to pick up slack for the majority who do not work hard. Employees do not receive product education
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMay 29, 2016
A typical day consists of stocking products and helping customers find what they are looking for.I did not learn anything from the job.That is due to my prior knowledge of the product and the lack of product education. Management varied but for the most part they were kind and helpful but too busy to help one learn more. The hardest part of the job is that the ones who did not work hard were not held accountable and those who did had to pick up the slack which made for long hours to get the job done.The enjoyable part was helping customers and forming a relationship with the regulars.
Pros
building relationships with customers and co workers
Cons
lack of on job training, the non hard workers not held accountable, hard workers do everyone's work
Poor Management and Loss of Meaning in the Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 8, 2016
When I was interviewed to work here, I felt welcomed and for it being my first job I shouldn't complain as much as I am, but after the first month of employment I began to experience a gradual negative personality growing within myself. I did not work as many hours as a full time employee, but I felt the same pain in working there as others. Management was poor because they were very demanding and lacked the effort in supporting the lower end of each department. I could say I am happy with meeting some of my previous co-workers, but the overall experience was awful.
Pros
Convenient discounts
Cons
Poor management, cheap industry, clientele often difficult
Not a bad first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAJune 22, 2016
simple tasks at work such as down stocking and keeping your area organized. I learned a lot about myself and how to deal with customers. Management had good people but there was a huge disconnect between them and the regular associates. Too many managers and not enough training for the employees. Co-workers were typically pretty good but every once in a while you have people that give you an attitude for no reason. Hardest part of the job was doing a lot of good, hard work and not getting any recognition for it. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with my friends.
Pros
you'll get a lot of hours because they'e under staffed
Cons
short breaks, very minimal raise, lack of communication
Not a bad job to make money.
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  White Settlement, TXNovember 9, 2015
Great benefits.
Great discounts
Easy work environment.
Management is new.
Good for students
Pay is above minimum wage
Christmas and Thanksgiving off.
Pros
discoutns
Cons
retail hours
fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCApril 4, 2016
Pretty good company to work for
managers are understanding
learned time management
customer service
co workers are pretty cool
hardest part is during black friday and those long hours
Pros
pay
Cons
short breaks
good staff environment, poor management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LA 70607July 12, 2016
I learned how to interact with people in a positive manager and accomplish tasks as a team. A typical day for me in this establishment includes help with sales, helping customers, down stocking, load ups, zoning and cleaning up the store after closing and encompasses working 6 hour shifts many times extending into late night hours. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my coworkers and helping people who appreciate it. The hardest part of my job is being indoors for so long and carrying out tasks that don't make sense. Often times we are shorthanded for the goals that we are set to accomplish and then fail to meet the set expectations despite our efforts. Issues like down stocking, managing product on the shelves and placement of those products, as well as the timely management of daily tasks often seem as if they come from a direction completely oblivious to how things actually work on the floor.
Pros
20% purchase discount
Cons
no breaks for part time employees
The environment was fun but the management was not
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJune 11, 2016
Working at Academy was a blast, the customers were always such a experience even when they were having bad day or even if the associates were having a bad day. Learned how to talk to people when they're in a bad place. Management was great when the store first opened but they did not stick to store policy guidelines as time progressed which lead to the good managers to leave and bring in new ones who were not capable of following policy procedures. My co-workers were the reason for me staying there for so long they were such a great team and we all helped one another when we were training new recruits or if someone called out in a department. Hardest part of my job was not having management around to help me because in the systems there are manager overrides which I could not do. Best part about coming into work was seeing the faces of my associates and interacting with customers that i've build relations with.
Pros
The People
Cons
working side by side with well educated and train managers
Customer Services Leader and New Hire Trainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 7, 2016
very good company to work, I have gain several years of customers experience with this company, along with penitents, answering and directing phones call and working at a very fast motion at the same time. which includes Schedule and assign workers task, excellent Organization Skills, all incoming and outgoing calls directory including information messaging, resolve all customers matter and issue, increasing customer services at 20%, and Keep close communication with all departments matter and issues.
Pros
gaining the percentages off whenever a item is purches
Cons
working on all holidays
Super busy but fun workplace
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 13, 2016
A typical weekend day at work is usually very busy. However, during the week it is usually very slow and the day drags on. I learned a lot about the products that Academy sells and how our return policies work. Management for the most part was okay. There were only two managers that were hard to work with. However, that was because if they worked together they felt like you were supposed to listen to them over anyone. My co-workers were awesome! I never really came across a co-worker that didn't care for me or that I didn't care for. The worst part about my job is that fact that I stand at the door all the time and hardly ever get to do anything. However, knowing that people are greeted by a smiling face and are not afraid to ask me where something is or if something is worth buying is what I enjoy most about my job.
Pros
hour break, popular store, friendly co-workers

Academy Sports + Outdoors Reviews by Location