Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,575 reviews matching the search
Decent Entry level position
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 20, 2016
I worked here during college. They worked well with my school schedule and gave me good hours. The management is decent and had enjoyable co-workers. The pay is low (minimum wage) and my yearly raise was a disappointment. The job can be tiresome at times. My biggest complaint is the customers. The company is a bunch of pushovers and the customers pick up quick that they can get anything they want if they complain enough. They expect high customer service from you but since the prices are so low the quality of customers you deal with greatly varies. Overall not a bad experience.
Pros
Good co-workers and management, flexible scheduling
Cons
low pay, can be stressful job
Ability to sharpen ones interpersonal skills and customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 12, 2016
Typical day at work was quite busy with the amount of volume of customers we would obtain. I worked with some of the best co-workers ive met who are great to work with and help each other as a team. downside was the fact that leadership was the poorest ive witnessed/experienced! I was brought out on the floor because of my great customer service but to my surprise no one in the leadership/management roles never trained me or taught me a single method or role. Everything I have learned while working was through my own success and failures.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay Rate, Training, Better Leadership
okay job but hard to keep
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXMarch 7, 2016
First and foremost let me say i enjoyed this job as a whole. That being said the systems in place there are a joke. The phones and other equipment for proper merchandising are clearly very dated. They constantly break or have to be manipulated just right to even function. The best part of the job is definitely the coworkers, Everyone i encountered here was friendly and moderately helpful. The management is satisfactory. They do an ok job at just about everything.
Pros
Good Coworkers, Good Hours
Cons
Bad systems. Bad communication between management and employees
Fun work enviroment, Productive
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAAugust 20, 2015
Academy is an awesome place to work, with great benefits and employment advancement. The pay is competitive. Some of the tasks may be a little strenuous are time consuming depending on the area you are in or what you're asked too complete. The manager team is open & willing to help you however they can.
Christmas Bonus
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2015
Great 401k that match 6%, Thanks giving lunch, Christmas lunch, decent pay, discounts on merchandise, flexible hours, had $2.00 lunches.
Pros
401k match
Cons
pay horrible
Productive.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Monroe, LAJanuary 15, 2016
I learned a lot of customer service skills with this job. It was a challenge everyday which lead to competitive social skills and I learned a lot by working in the gun department. I loved the management there they were always understanding and worked well with me as a team. The hardest part about the job was just wanting to be willing to set new POGs but taught me a lot on how they rotate items in the store and how to organize merchandise. The most enjoyable thing about the job was always learning something new everyday and taught things on a higher level of retail.
Productive and innovative team
Operations Senior Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMay 17, 2016
I thoroughly enjoy working with this company. What I like best about my job is that a primary responsibility involves interacting with employees on all different levels of the organization and across all functional areas. I love that I get to learn new things about the company/business/market/etc everyday.
I love human resources aspect of my job, but I like steering the business more in the operational aspect. In some prior roles I spent a lot of time and effort recording the business activity or projecting it, but now I get to shape it. It is by far the most rewarding role I have had yet!
Everyone should work in retail at least once in their lifetime
Front End Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at work you deal with happy and unhappy customers all the time, it's part of the job. Working in retail has helped me with my patience, it has taught me the value of work. As of now I am a team lead for frontend, so basically like a supervisor for the cashiers. I enjoy it so much, my coworkers are easy going and friendly. The environment is what has kept me going to work these past four years. I started off in footwear and went on to becoming a full-timer and was very involved in my job. Of course like any other job it is a bit stressful, people will say what is so stressful about working at academy. Well sometimes things go wrong and goals aren't meant and some coworkers don't care as much but that's anywhere. I do what I have to and help others that need it.
Mildly-paced, interesting and fun place to work
Field & Stream Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 29, 2016
I've been an outdoors kind of guy all my life, and it was fitting to apply for the Field & Stream department at Academy. I learned a lot more about fishing, hunting, firearms & ammo, and everything else that had to do with the outdoors. It was a great experience ,and I would definitely recommend others to work there, especially since employees had a 20% discount on all merchandise throughout the store (or at least at the time we did). Management changed hands sometime while I was there, and I didn't care too much for the new store manager.
Benefits
Easy going workplace with energetic people
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJanuary 14, 2016
Starting off and setting up the store was great! After the holidays they cut hours dramatically. They love to put family first, and are extremely flexible. Management is pretty laid back, but they expect you to do your job. There is nothing really hard about the job, I find it pretty easy. The only thing I did not like was them changing my schedule behind my back.
Pros
Flexable, discounts
Cons
Short hours, scheduling issues
Ok starter job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAFebruary 26, 2016
Management worked with schedule so that many of us could attend school. After holidays the hours get cut tremendously, but they continue to hire people. OK job...easy work. No breaks for under 6 hours and sometimes it seems as if they get aggravated by the fact that you have to use the restroom. Pay was minimum which I didn't expect. I've since moved on but glad it was available when needed.
Pros
Discount, staff
Cons
No hours, no breaks
Decent workplace, long breaks and flexible work hours
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 1, 2016
Typically my day at work at Academy consisted of assisting customers and down-stocking. This is not a hard job, and at times can even be fun, but don't screw around. The management are very good at their jobs, and know when work needs to be done, but can be relaxed at the same time. Overall, this was not a bad place to work, however it's not for everyone if you don't think you can handle dealing with varying levels of attitude from the customers.
Pros
Hour-long lunches, employee discount
Cons
No benefits for part-time, no sick time until one year completed
The Schooling of Academy
Cashier Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ARMay 11, 2015
Being a team lead my days were usually quite full, I learned a lot about leadership there and how to be a strong and confident leader. I also learned a great deal about money and security procedures when handling large sums. The management team was always supportive but there was more favoritism there than I found to be professional. My co-workers for the most part were very respectful and quick to follow directions and speak up if there were questions. I did find that 8 to 10 hours of country music was hard to bear after a while. Yet the hardest thing was the holidays, black Friday and hunting season was very stressful on my team and I had to push for simple things. For example allowing my cashiers to have a small bottle of water during such busy times took quite a bit of string pulling. I enjoyed helping my team and my customers though, and I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.
Pros
Discounts, Benifits, and the Training.
Cons
Staff Shortage
Daily Job working with sunglasses. Helping customers find the right pair.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 19, 2016
On a typical day I work in showcase with sunglasses. I do the shipment which is to label all the sunglasses. I have to figure out which glasses need to be put on display. I make sure the back stock is organized find when sunglasses are purchased. The glasses are planogrammed so I created a system in which they stay in the same spot. I've learned a lot about the brands Costa, Under Armour, Ray Ban, Oakley, Smith, Spy, Nike & Hobie. I research my own information to tell the customer when dealing with a certain brand. I keep busy working so may day goes by fast.
Pros
Long Breaks
Cons
Hours, Pay
Finish Line
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 3, 2015
had good benefits and was paid a fair wage
there was room for advancement with the company
loved selling shoes so it was a great job
ok
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXApril 22, 2016
good
review for Academy Sports + Outdoors I love taking advantage of all the deals on fitness apparel in late December/early January that are marketed to the 'resolutioners'. I hit up Academy today looking for some deals on Nike training clothes as well as shoes.

Now, I get that the shoe department is essentially "self-service," however, I don't understand the point of having so many employees working in this department if they aren't doing anything. While looking for my size in one shoe style, two employees stood in the same aisle - watching me and obstructing the stock - while they continued to chit chat.
Horrible place to work stay away from this company
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 2, 2016
A horrible place to work for. Managers have their favorites and let other employees cuss at you and harass you. The turn their heads when their is a situation like this It is ridiculous why this company is still even in business and not on the daily news about what exactly goes on at Store 131 in McAllen. They don't care how long you have work there or how hard you work. Your easily replaced. My advice is stay far away from this company.
Pros
Cons
bad management, harrassement, no benefits
sometimes fun and protective workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXMay 14, 2016
My job isn't hard, my coworkers are pretty easy to work with, the most enjoyable part is counting my register down to go home from a long day, the hardest part is having to deal with upset customers(trying to make them happy when they do not want to be), management is not to bad they do ok with complying with our outside life and work, and i learned a lot showcasing and learning the ins and outs about sunglasses
Pros
sometimes the company has family events at the job, hour breaks
Cons
slow days at work means cutting back on hours
Efficient and time consuming
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 29, 2016
A typical day at work involved constant work at the register and splitting up at the end of the day to arrange the multiple aisles of the store.

Management was relaxed yet decisive. If an employee was lacking, they were pulled aside to have a talk instead of making a scene. Hours were also flexible.

The hardest part of the job was closing the store.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when the lines were full and I constantly had customers in line.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Location of the store made lunch breaks an ordeal.
Not a Bad Place to Work
cashier team lead/footwear team lead (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJuly 21, 2016
Overall Academy wasn't a bad place to work. I was able to be promoted quite quickly. As a regular team member you are responsible for very little. Once you become a team lead your work load becomes very heavy. Management is all on different pages and very unorganized. The communication in the store is terrible. Senior team leads don't allow you as a team lead to do your job.
Pros
Hour Lunch, good benefits, good location
Cons
Extremely busy, angry management, traffic, unorgazined, bad communication

Academy Sports + Outdoors Reviews by Location