Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Found 2,265 reviews matching the search
Productive work place
Cashier Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXJune 13, 2017
This was a great job to get me through school. ON a normal day, I would work an 8 hour shift with a lunch break. It wasn't a bad job but it definitely wasn't the best.
Pros
Benifits
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 12, 2017
Nice job, with awesome coworkers. I make sure customers are taking care of, and have everything they need. Making sure customers have a nice shopping trip is all part of my day.
Unbalanced work
Team Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 12, 2017
Overall the job was great providing customers with a great service. However the clock in times and lunch breaks were unorganized with unfair management
Cons
unbalanced breaks
An okay job best suited for supplemental income
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJune 12, 2017
If you are student, this is an okay part-time job. As a working adult, I'd recommend to try working somewhere else unless you are in immediate need of employment. Pretty fast-pace environment in which you have to deal with a lot of customers (who can be quite rude) and sometimes not-so-great management
Pros
employee discount
Cons
scheduling
Summary
Associate (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXJune 12, 2017
Academy was a great place to work, great people, fun, and routine changed daily. Always busy for the fasted paced type of person. Great friends were made
It was an good working enviornment
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, GAJune 12, 2017
It had its ups and downs but it was an good working place. The people there were good workers and the management was OK at times I would work in another warehouse.
Productive and friendly environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJune 11, 2017
Academy is a fun, friendly, fast-paced, and professional work environment. It was my first job in retail and I enjoyed it very much and would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, discounts, and breaks
Very basic retail job, almost minimum wage, not very many full time positions.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXJune 11, 2017
I worked here for almost 8 months making less than $8 an hour. I usually never got more than 25 hours a week and their isn't very many full time spots. A lot of heavy lifting for such a low paying job also the managers dont seem on the same page about daily work routines.
Academy was a great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 11, 2017
I enjoyed working at Academy Sports & Outdoors, being a cashier in a retail environment gave me a lot of experience. I enjoyed interacting with customers and enjoyed the people I worked with. The pay wasn't great but it was normal for a cashier. The hardest part of the job was just making sure all customers had a great experience in our store. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers and co workers. Management was great and very well trained.
Pros
Friendly environment, experience
Cons
Pay, short breaks
busy on holidays and evenings
Merchandising Team Member (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2017
Academy is an amazing place to work at and they are willing to train you and offer benefits for full time associates. it is extremely busy on holidays and black Friday because its retail. in order to work here you must be patient and able to adapt well.
Laid back yet Fast Paced
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJune 10, 2017
Management does not utilize teamwork or communicate with each other. Employees slack on most projects and everyone seems to not care about their employees. Policies need to change if Academy wants to succeed in the future
very productive work enviroment
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 10, 2017
always stay busy, learned how to ticket and lower merchandise. hardest part of the job was the actual labor work, lots of climbing and lifting. Plus was that it keeps you in great shape being an overnight stocker
Pros
great benifits
Cons
late nights
Develop a great working relationship with Management
Apparel Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 10, 2017
In order to grow and learn within your department, it's necessary to use execllent communication skills to develop a working relationship with Management. Policy is ever changing but customer service will always be top priority.
Productive, not customer friendly
Senior Team Lead (Current Employee) –  West Monroe, LAJune 10, 2017
Relaxed, Management is new and learning how to focus. Culture is on point with recovering, not so much with customer focus. Hardest part of the job is the lack of creativety that is allowed for team members.
Pros
not to early hours
Cons
scheduling, entirely to late hours
expeience
Apparel associate (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXJune 10, 2017
the expectations are high so much work
disrespectful managers
managers are rude
employees are never on time and complain like little children
employees sleep with each other and talk about each other
Typical Day at work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Denham Springs, LAJune 9, 2017
Typical day at work is relaxed, but you do have the times where the gun counter gets busy. Feel like the weight of the department is not distributed even between all associates.
Good Place to work. If you want Retail Try Academy
Sales Associate Camping (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJune 9, 2017
Worked Seasonal in Camping. Enjoyed the Customer and Coworker interaction. Flexible Hours, and the management were great.Helped with the Original Setup and through the Grand Opening, Everyone was great.
Apply at your own risk.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Monroe, LAJune 9, 2017
I have never worked in a place where management is so disorganized and sloppy. It's almost as if critical thinking and logic is not important at all. They have a "do as i say or else" attitude and it makes it so hard to be motivated. Most of my coworkers are honestly still there for the medical insurance. The hours are constantly getting cut because of customer theft, but what else do you expect when we have such a lax and complex policy on not approaching customers. Managers and Senior team leads are rarely on the floor unless the big guys are visiting. The job itself is easy, but the management is awful. AWFUL. They try to speak this whole "we're a team" line but only do whats best for them and their personal favorites who are ironically the laziest workers in the store. You cant even call HR without the store director trying to retaliate against you. This place is a nightmare. IF you want to survive here you're best bet is to just do your work, not say anything to anyone and just go home.
An amazing job that puts you to work.
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 9, 2017
Academy Sports + Outdoors has treated me great. It's a company that will explain each job function very specific with you, without just throwing you out there. It consists of multiple departments (Hunting & Fishing, Apparel, Camping, Team Sports, Footwear Fitness, and Licenscing). Personally, I worked in footwear throughout my time so far. Can't complain, it's a fairly good job, the only main concerns I have are the inconsistent hours given weekly. I like to be given 30-40 hours and unfortanutley I haven't experience that yet with Academy. A typical day at work involves helping customers find the right pair, size, and fit. Weather a customer is going in for a specific shoe or not, it's in my job function to find what best fits the customer to the best of my ability. During closing time I front all the shoes, clean up all trash, make sure shoe displays are 100%, and help out any other departments once I'm done with mine. Highly recommend this job to anyone looking for a job that puts you to work.
Pros
Greeting and treating customers amazing
Cons
Inconsistent hours weekly
Productive workplace
merchandising, and logistics operations (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARJune 8, 2017
Personally for the amount of easy work that is accomplished at my current job, I feel as if my potential is halted and wasted. I am a hard worker and need a career that I can excel and be proud of.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Not enough pay or hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval