Academy Sports + Outdoors

1.2K reviews

Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Terrible management.
Sales associate (Former Employee), Sugar land, txJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Getting off
Cons: Terrible management, long hours, non professional environment, post to many good workers
You are scheduled to 10 p.m. But you see the time is 1 a.m. And you are still working. They are only flexible if you are part time. Even if you say you can only work certain hours they will schedule you past your availability. Some of the managers honestly are pathetic you aren't to pretty to do something.

I'm an hard worker but no one will take advantage over me, and that is what they'll do. It's fun at first until you see there true colors. They will not be flexible, and you have to make sure they give you your raise.
Excellent and fun place to work
Sports Supervisor (Former Employee), Temple, TXJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Great people, atmosphere, and management.
Cons: I had no real cons.
Very much enjoyed all my time at Academy. Most of the people were great as friends and coworkers. The work was very easy and the methods employed direct and to the point.
fun working in team sports
Store Associate (Former Employee), North Richland Hills, TXJuly 13, 2015
Pros: u
Cons: long shifts, cut hours
I worked in Team Sports and there was not much for us to do. I learned how to work the phone and how to price things. My coworkers were nice, and the hardest part was lifting heavy stuff like trampolines and basketball goals.
Not the kind of job you would think of in a sporting goods store
Senior Team Lead (Current Employee), North CarolinaJuly 13, 2015
Room for advancement only if you plan on moving around the country. Great employment if you love to interact with the public.
Great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Rogers, ARJuly 12, 2015
Very structured and organized. Great training and costumer service. Fun atmosphere and a great learning experience.
fun
Women’s and Men’s Department Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lafayette, LAJuly 10, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Enjoyable entry-level job with great, cooperative coworkers
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Interpreter (Former Employee), Tulsa, OklahomaJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Laid-back, flexible shifts
Cons: Low wages, recent emphasis on salesmanship without comission
Academy Sports + Outdoors is an excellent job for a college student who is seeking to work part-time while in school. The company is known for being very flexible with relation to scheduling in accordance with one's availability. Its positions offer great opportunities with respect to developing valuable customer service skills. Also, the work environment is quite laid-back. However, there are seasons that are quite busy as is expected in any retail job. One disadvantage to the job is its low pay and the company's unwillingness to compensate its employees for certain tasks and services.
Fast paced, Great management
Shipping/Receiving clerk (Former Employee), Midland, TXJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Company cook-outs
Cons: Couldn't have lunch outside the building
A typical night at Academy was very buisy. We would start by unloading the truck, putting merchandise in sections depending on what department they went in, taking the groups to their designated departments, assist in stocking if needed, collect boxes, run the trash compactor, clean the receiving room, and sweet mop and buff the floors. I learned so much at Academy, the most important being; you can do anything you put your mind to. The managers and my co-workers where all very personable and never denied offering a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was the deadlines, but with the help of my co-workers, we always made them. It's hard to pick out the most enjoyable part of the job because I enjoyed it all.
I feel like the atmosphere and people at Academy would be pleasing,
sales executive (Former Employee), Benton, Ar.July 7, 2015
Pros: people were friendly
Cons: No breaks and 30 minute lunches
Kroger, I clocked in, and went straight to my cash register and signed in went to work. Didn't get many breaks at all at Kroger. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and had to quit this job. I have good people friendly skills. my most enjoyable part of the day was lunch hour.
Great Place
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), fort worth, texasJuly 3, 2015
Lot of memories working at Academy. It started as a High School part-time job til i went off to college. Can be a great place for a career or something on the side, your choice.
Great Staff.
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 2, 2015
I loved working at Academy Sports and Outdoors. The GM was awesome. He help with all things. The company as a whole is very awesome as well. Really help with asking time off and working around my schedule.
I loved it!
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 2, 2015
Academy was a really fun job for me. The teams are friendly and the customers are amazing! Advancement through Academy is fairly easy if you show them that you deserve it. I would recommend to anyone.
love my team leaders and team members
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Lawton, OKJuly 2, 2015
Pros: 20% discount
I love working there. Love the management and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is getting customers to apply for the Academy Visa Card
Good place to work.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Friends, close to home, stable.
I enjoyed my time at Academy. Management was fair for the most part, and I met alot of great people...customers and associates alike.
horrible
Manager Of Operations (Former Employee), ft worth texasJuly 1, 2015
this company has gone down hill since KKR took over. The best part of the job was some of the people I got to work with over the years
Academy was always busy which made the days go by fast.
Cashier (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 1, 2015
A typical work day was just working at the cash register and moving wherever they needed you to go. Also counting your register at the beginning and end of every shift.
Wide variety
Hardlines Senior Team Lead (Current Employee), Dothan, ALJuly 1, 2015
Check Playbook tasks daily to ensure there are no over due projects. Work with the managers to help teach and develop all associates. Co-workers are great to work with and can always be counted on to get assigned tasks completed, correctly and efficiently. Hardest part of the job is when ALL plan-o-grams drop at the same time.... hard to have proper staffing to get all areas of the store covered to get everything completed.
Nice place to work
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Lake Mary, FLJune 30, 2015
very nice place to work. The management team were always helpful to the team members. I loved the discounts that the team members received
Unorganized management
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Conroe, TXJune 29, 2015
organized shoes, climb ladder to organize top stock, assist customers in finding shoe, order shoe online, organize displays
fast-paced environment
Senior Team Lead of Operations (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 28, 2015
The Academy Way is encouraged from day one. It is a fun environment and easy to advance due to a high turnover rate. Unfortunately, the hiring needs are not met throughout the year and especially during the holiday seasons. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with your customer service, leadership team duties, and getting out at a reasonable hour.