Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Found 2,150 reviews matching the search
Love the store, and the people but corporate ruined it for me
Customer Service Part Time and Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 9, 2017
A typical work day consisted of me working with the customers and helping them find what they were looking for while also trying to also sell them on our other store products. I learned a lot about the different products and why certain brands are better and how it can benefit you to have better brand materials and I learned how to work with customers and found an effective way to sell products to the customer without ripping them off or being too pushy. The store managers overall were good, there's always that one or two store managers that ruin it for most but overall they are good. However, corporate gets in the way too much and causes chaos and makes people want to not work there. The culture is overall decent. The other employees are great, but it does get old having to deal with certain customers and those one or two managers who are just too much and how corporate always has to have their fingers on everything. The hardest part of the job is to please everyone. It is almost impossible to please the customers, store managers and corporate. The most enjoyable part of the job were the other employees and the great discounts on all of the great products Academy Sports and Outdoors have to offer.
Pros
Great Store
Cons
Corporate
Disappointed
Logistic Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Collierville, TNMay 9, 2017
I was disappointed in the training and how unorganized the store manager was. A typical day for me as a leader involved me being lost as to what my duties were.
Pros
Great team members
Wonderful company
Team Leader Loss Prevention (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXMay 9, 2017
Working for Academy was great until I got sick and needed less hours and they wouldn't work with me. One manager was rude and lacked empathy to what was going on with me. The stress was too much for me to handle.
Pros
Cons
One manager
Live to work and no fun
Hunting and Fishing Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Greenville, TXMay 9, 2017
when I first started working there it was a great place to work. we've lost team members and gain team member. Some didn't stay long do to same don't care about your personal life and demanded you to work very day on matter what's going on and no weekends off. others would work with you to get said days off but they will to business and no one else will not. At this time I don't look forward to every work day. I've came to work sick a few times because there wasn't anyone to cover. My team members are great to work with. Even outside my area we get along. working there its like you work to live and don"t get to have a life. unless you have kids then they care.
Pros
hr lunches
Cons
no off time
easy going retail job
Field and Stream Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 8, 2017
great place to work part time, discounts help fuel your habits. Management can be hairy at times, but as long as you do what your told you wont have problems. Point system is a bit unforgiving
Good company to work for.
Senior Team Lead of Operations (Current Employee) –  Manchester, MOMay 8, 2017
Good company to work for with some good benefits at well. Definitely could use some help on the management side of things but is still a developing company.
Pros
Good benefits and room to grow within company.
Cons
Needs a better work environment.
Love working here
Teams Sports Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, MOMay 8, 2017
Managers are very friendly and will help you if needed. When you apply for this job expect to work your butt off for minimal pay.The hours are good if you are full time, but for a part time job it depends on the department.
Slow, easy for managers to overlook your hard work.
Firearms Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 7, 2017
As much time as a person spends there, the pay doesn't seem to equal what you are required to do. You can try to show your value, but to no avail. You will likely have an awful experience with team leads and Senior team leads.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no appreciation, looked over, reminded you are beneath senior and normal team leads
Good
Overnight Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMay 7, 2017
It was okay and a good place to work if u wonted a job badly, but it had some lazy people in there, but my senior team lead was nice in she cared about her workers
Fun place to work
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXMay 7, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for Academy. I was young I didn't appreciate the job when I had it. It's a really great company to work for the people i worked with were great and I liked being part of the team
Pros
Close to my home
Cons
No cons
Fun sport related experience.
Cashier Team Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMay 6, 2017
Very flexible work hours. Easygoing and fun employees. Management was okay but wasn't great. The most enjoyable part of my job was the sport related events that always seem to be going on. There wasn't really anything hard about the job at all.
Good people, poor management
Associate (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 6, 2017
The staff is mostly fun, but management didn't seem to ever figure out how to get out of it's own way. they seem to just hire people for warm bodies instead of taking the time to get actual hard working people
Great company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMay 6, 2017
Overall great place to work, great atmosphere, good benefits, great customer base- love that we can offer customers best prices around w/ price match guanrantee
Not so comfortable place to work.
Apparel Sales associate, back-up cashier (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 6, 2017
Academy is a good company but they have management issues clearly. My experience at Academy was not comfortable or fun. There were no smiles or positive attitudes around the work place. There should be better management for the apparel departments.
Cons
short breaks
fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSMay 5, 2017
we unloaded trucks and got things from the back for customs that wasn't on the floor. Also we help sit up prices sometimes and put together the race track.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Not so great anymore
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 5, 2017
When I first started I got the hours I needed and everyone was incredibly nice and well informed. Then they decided to cut back hours, while still continuing hiring new people when they knew they weren't going to give them good hours or give the original employees more hours. They single out people and basically make them feel like they aren't good employees but they in fact are. They focus on "bad" ( which really isn't bad, they just so happen to walk by and see you talking to another employee) and assume you're wasting time and give you a coaching even though you were talking about work stuff/issues/advice on where things are. When they cut back hours they expect you to have everything perfect even with 1/2 less people to help get the store clean. They get mad at you for not being able to make things perfect but how is it our fault when you cut hours and people call in because they don't want to show up to this hostel place. They always say we are "family" but they treat us horrible. The associates are wonderful people and are very caring, management sucks, team leads/Sr. teams leads are GREAT and help associates way more than the managers do. This used to be my favorite job and I used to love showing up!
Pros
New friends, pay
Cons
Everything else
Used to be great
Store director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2017
When KKR got involved the entire company was negatively affected. Regional managers at this place are horrible. Pay was great, bonus was great, dealing with upper management was a drag.
good way and generous hours
Team Sports Associate (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 5, 2017
they let me have off when I requested and are very flexible with my college student schedule. However, they sometimes gave me way too many hours and I should've been considered over time with some of the hours they gave me.
Pros
flexible schedlu
Great company
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hiram, GAMay 4, 2017
Academy is a great company to work for overall, they are in a growth phase right now and the scheduling structure isn't ideal but management understands that you have a life outside of work and will work with you as long as you give 100% and are willing to work with them as well!
Fun work place, productive
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 4, 2017
The work place was fun to work at. Time passed really fast. The store manager was nice and understanding. My co-workers were very helpful. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Seasonal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval