Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,534 reviews matching the search
Very fun place to work
Overnight Senior Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 13, 2016
very fun place to work at and very fast paced. if you like sports and outdoors then this is the place for you. you meet great people and awesome customers who tell you there stories and adventures that they have been on.
Pros
Discount, Hour Lunches, free Events
Overall is a good job for someone looking to fill time
CUSTOMER SERVICE CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Orange Park, FLApril 28, 2016
Co workers are great. Loved them.
The management was so so. The communications between them is not the best.
Depending on the day of the week you had a lot to keep you busy. Other days were slow and had to find things to pass the time.
Amazing place to work, especially if you love working with the public.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 29, 2016
Academy Sports & Outdoors was one of the best jobs I have ever held. The overall atmosphere was awesome and the people were just as amazing. You could do everything from run a register to stock shelves in a department. The management team cared for their employees as people rather than just someone to come in and work.
We sell fun
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJune 3, 2016
Fun place to work. Retail can be hectic but overall its a great company with good benefits. We are required to be great at multitasking and customer service ( which I excel at). Hours are probably the most challenging part of the job.
Pros
Work with a great group of people
Cons
Hours
fast pace, "family feel" enviroment
logistics/recieving (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 11, 2016
a typical work day is a very smooth, productive, hands on, upbeat atmosphere where every other coworker genuinely tried to make that day better then the one before.
Pros
1 hour lunch break, could be taken anytime during shift
Cons
no benefits for part time employees
Poor management, terrible work/life balance, would not recommend.
Junior Application Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 20, 2016
Expect to work long hours and weekends with little to no rewards for it. I'm not the type that needs constant recognition or pats on the back for doing my job, but a little gratitude goes a long way.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 16, 2016
Great training even when starting during the holidays. You learn something new everyday. They hardest part of this job was getting customers to understand that we have to follow company policies for returns and exchanges.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
N/A
Working at Academy sports & outdoors
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALJanuary 8, 2016
A typical work day for me would be taking basketball goals, weight machines, and bikes to the customers car when they bought them, assisting customers on finding what they were looking for. I learned that people love buying basketball goals in the summer. The management wasn't the greatest. They would complain about work not being done when there was no work to do and constantly sat in their office all day. The hardest part about the job was facing all the merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the joy on people's faces when they got what they came for.
Exciting working environment.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 26, 2016
Academy is a great place to work the customers are always extremely nice and excited about the products that we are selling, and always are interested about what one has to say about the products.
Pros
exciting and upbeat
Cons
random hours
Super busy but fun workplace
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 13, 2016
A typical weekend day at work is usually very busy. However, during the week it is usually very slow and the day drags on. I learned a lot about the products that Academy sells and how our return policies work. Management for the most part was okay. There were only two managers that were hard to work with. However, that was because if they worked together they felt like you were supposed to listen to them over anyone. My co-workers were awesome! I never really came across a co-worker that didn't care for me or that I didn't care for. The worst part about my job is that fact that I stand at the door all the time and hardly ever get to do anything. However, knowing that people are greeted by a smiling face and are not afraid to ask me where something is or if something is worth buying is what I enjoy most about my job.
Pros
hour break, popular store, friendly co-workers
good company to work for
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mobile, Al.June 21, 2016
I was only hired as seasonal help, but I loved working with the customers and getting experience in retail. The Managers were very helpful and my coworkers to the time to help with any questions that I had. Overall it was a great company to work for.
Part-time Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2016
Go in, Front your department, help costumers and enjoy your day. Good boss' and great management who take care of you.
They teach you so much with seminars and how to sell your department to customers and its a great place to work as a highschool student.
Changing from Family oriented to Corporate minded
Store Director (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKJune 3, 2016
Solid company, but losing the family attitude that I was drawn to. Overall a good company just not for me anymore. Company is growing but still way behind other retailers in inventory control and most other technology.
Fun, easy, stay busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 26, 2016
Never a boring job at Academy Sports & Outdoors. Store is filled with welcoming and diverse personalities. Average day at work consists of working with register, stocking shelves, and making sure that footwear/apparel departments are clean and nice looking.
Flexible hours but not ideal work environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 21, 2016
Academy is very flexible with work hours and being able to work around other jobs or school commitments. You'll learn multiple ways to interact with customers and what you need to look for to better assist customers. I certainly gained more in leadership and time management while working with Academy while also working with all types of people. Having coworkers that you enjoy working with is certainly a plus and that is what I experienced at my time with academy. The hardest aspect about this job is organization; if you don't have a grasp on how things should be organized then nothing is going to go right the rest of the day. Organization all starts with management and at Academy, it's pretty much pure luck if you have a manager that is well organized and knowledgeable about the store; same sits for your store director.
Pros
Flexible hours, improvement for communication skills
Cons
Lack of organization, lack of business knowledge in management
The environment was fun but the management was not
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJune 11, 2016
Working at Academy was a blast, the customers were always such a experience even when they were having bad day or even if the associates were having a bad day. Learned how to talk to people when they're in a bad place. Management was great when the store first opened but they did not stick to store policy guidelines as time progressed which lead to the good managers to leave and bring in new ones who were not capable of following policy procedures. My co-workers were the reason for me staying there for so long they were such a great team and we all helped one another when we were training new recruits or if someone called out in a department. Hardest part of my job was not having management around to help me because in the systems there are manager overrides which I could not do. Best part about coming into work was seeing the faces of my associates and interacting with customers that i've build relations with.
Pros
The People
Cons
Unable to follow through on promises
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norman, OK 73072May 12, 2016
Company assured me a full time position within a month. At the most, I got 30 hours a week and that was only for a couple of weeks. No breaks while cashiering for up to 8 hours. Co-workers not encouraged to help each other at all.
Cons
no breaks for cashier
Academy
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 1, 2016
A typical day as a fishing/hunting associate consist of customer service first and then a daily objective. Most of my time spent at academy has been working the gun counter and selling guns. I would also help customers in the fishing department. I also kept in touch with my team leader or manager during the day to see what needed to get done on the sales floor. It would usually consist of displaying product in better places along the sales floor or unload a new shipment of ammunition to the shelves.
Pros
Good opportunity
Cons
lazy co-workers
Productive and busy workplace
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Webster, TXFebruary 23, 2016
On a typical afternoon at academy sports and outdoors is very busy and its constant 24/7 customer service. I've learned that customer service is very important in the retail business because then there isn't nobody there to sell the product and tell you how this product works.
Overall a good experience.
Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 13, 2016
The only days I disliked were the days I was stuck standing in the front and was not able to actually work with customers. I wasn't allowed to leave the "podium" at all even to help customers but understood.
Pros
Flexible schedule.
Cons
Not many hours.