Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Unnecessarily Stressful and Overly Complicated
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 30, 2017
The only good thing about Academy is the unity of the sales associates. But, we are struggling under a management team that half of which were difficult to work with. My personal manager did not believe that I knew what I was doing when I said I did, did not believe in my ability to lead, made a point to tell me multiple things I did wrong and things I did that were disappointing. Even though I worked hard, came home with sore legs about 80% of the time and because we were so severely understaffed, I worked the jobs of multiple people regularly. I just wished I was shown appreciation more. Maybe I was appreciated, but it wasn't shown much. Then I probably would've stayed longer, since I enjoyed working with my fellow sales associates so much.

Also, in the time I was there, there were no sales associate appreciation events that could motivate us to work harder or promote more unity.

Also, the benefits were a 20% off discount of all academy items, including clearance, but it doesn't combine with Hot Deals anyways, which is 25% off. So, at the best sales opportunities, customers get the same deal as store associates.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 30, 2017
Working hard and doing the right thing is a must and would work at this place again. The managers are great very hard workers in managing the store and help with all the customers needs
Busy and fun
Store Manager-Operations (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 30, 2017
Good place to work. Fast pace. Employs 100 team members.
Never a dull moment.
Academy does a good job to balance work and family.
Holiday time is the hardest with extended hours.
Closed Thanksgiving
Academy Sport + Outdoors Review
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 28, 2017
One of the best places to work at as you are able to freely express yourself and your abilities will be utilized in some way. A typical day for me consists of helping customers or coworkers 3/4 of the time.
Pros
Discounts & friendships
Cons
Very fast paced
great working warehouse
Employee (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, GAOctober 27, 2017
you show up to work have a meeting go to job assignment and work until its time to go home and it is so fast paced that you don't have time to even slack off but time does fly quick
Pros
always feeding us and overtime non stop
Cons
short breaks
Great working experience. Meet new people from everywhere
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 26, 2017
Coming in to work everyday, where everyone smiles and greets you at the door. Where you feel welcome, makes this a great place. The only time it was boring was when it was slow on business. But overall work experience here is awesome.
Pretty boring, easy to get overlooked.
Logistics Team Member (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 26, 2017
There was definitely a favorites game going on at seemingly all times, my team and I worked hard but never seemed to get the recognition we should have.
Pros
Nice, typical stocking hours.
Cons
No feedback, just unspoken disdain for whatever you seem to be doing.
Great work place
Hunting and Fishing Team member (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32839October 26, 2017
The job is very chill and is a great place to work. Great managers, and amazing workplace culture. Selling guns is great and the work can be hard at times but the big oicture is for sure customer service.
Pros
discounts, and good hours for part time.
Cons
pay
Great Company, but slow-paced and boring
Global Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXOctober 25, 2017
Academy has a great culture and hire wonderful people. However, I was consistently bored during my internship and wished I had been given more interesting projects to work on.
bored or busy
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 25, 2017
either bored or busy when not running register you stand by it and straighten your area at the end of the night you must help clean and straighten the entire store and do not leave until 1am or later
Great place for a part time job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Collierville, TN 38017October 25, 2017
Working at Academy is good. Very flexible and good management.. Good hours on holidays. when the store has its busy periods, things tend to go by smoothly.
Productive, fun environment with some great managers that make it enjoyable to come to work.
Senior Team Lead, Logistics (Current Employee) –  Terre Haute, INOctober 25, 2017

With the Senior Team Lead of Logistics role, it is an overnight, Monday thru Friday 10pm-7am. Tasks throughout the night may include: running freight, setting POGs, setting pricing, setting visuals.
Job
Team Sports Member (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYOctober 25, 2017
Academy Sports was not a bad place to work,
Constant interaction with customers. A close knit type of environment, very comforting, until closing time. At times you could be there an hour past quitting time.
Awful
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLOctober 25, 2017
I helped open this store, and Immediately off the bat, they went down hill. The hours are awful, i worked once every two weeks, and you’re not allowed to clean your assigned area until after closing, and then you’re forced to stay until every department is cleaned, which means we didn’t leave until past midnight every shift. All of my managers got fired after I left, and even the new management is awful.
Cons
Bad management
Sales Associate
Hunting & Fishing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKOctober 23, 2017
Just a college job. The managers their don't seem to understand that. About 90% of the employees there are enrolled in college. The managers want us to act like this is our final career in life. The hours are always being cut yet the work demand stays the same or higher. The only thing corporate cares about it seems is Credit Card Applications and customer surveys. Not actually what happens in a store. The main benefit is they are flexible in hours for school and its not that hard of a job.
Easy and Fun workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALOctober 23, 2017
Granted i worked there during the christmas season as seasonal help, i really enjoyed myself. I loved the fast pace when things are busy and the interaction with the customers. I am a sporty and outdoors person as well, so the merchandise we sold was appealing to me as well.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
working holidays
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALOctober 23, 2017
My experience at Academy Sports and Outdoors was good. Everyone that I worked with was very friendly and understanding. The management was good and gave reasonable work hours.
Fun workplace with a positive arttitude.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Wichita kansasOctober 23, 2017
I have fun working here but I’m not getting paid what I should be. I believe I have the potential to make more than what I am. I’m a college student so I’m trying to find every way possible to make more money.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Low income
good
Truck Driver/Yard Mule (Current Employee) –  Katy, TX 77449October 22, 2017
good place to work just not enough on the pay I work as a yard mule and started going to the stores management was great the driver was great the company was great
Flexible hours and positive environment!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TX 76901October 22, 2017
I worked with Academy all through college and I loved it. Hours were flexible and multiple opportunities for advancement! Staff was positive and always pleasant to work with!
Pros
Flexible hours, competitive pay and advancement
Cons
Short breaks, holiday hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.