Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Found 1,359 reviews matching the search
High expectations
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 16, 2015
In the year that I have worked here, I have never felt as an equal to management. I have always felt separated. It is supposed to be a team to work with. That is why there are Team Leads, and Senior Team Leads. I am a Team Lead and I have never felt like I was working on a team, just being told what to do and how to do it with little help, not "team help."
been able to go to work and meet new people
stocker (Former Employee) –  Trussville, ALNovember 14, 2015
The average day at work would be me being able to have fun and still work and help people when needed. The good part about the job we would compete on who could sell the most items in their area.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Typical retail environment
finance (Former Employee) –  Katy TexasNovember 10, 2015
Colleagues are very nice. The company has a gym that you can join which is very convenient. Location was convenient. I don't have much more to say.
fun workplace
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYNovember 10, 2015
This is a great place to work, my co workers became a second family to me and they taught me a lot. It is very rewarding having customers tell you how great of a job you did helping them and that they will be back, there are a lot of benefits that can be earned the longer you are with the company and the management is very understanding and helpful when you need it. I learned a lot about working as a team and about communicating with others in general. It sometimes got hectic, like any other job, you have to be able to keep calm and work at a very quick but steady pace in these times to ensure that things go smoothly but overall it is a great place to work!
Cons
pay
If you're unemployed and need a job, this is better than nothing.
Cashier Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 9, 2015
A typical day at work involves constant multi tasking skills, cash handling, customer service, and multiple simultaneous demands, merchandising, and accounting work.

I have learned a great deal of communication skills, patience, the value of team work and how to motivate a team.

Depending on the store, management can be outstanding and very willing to communicate with its associates on solutions. They know the meaning of compromise and have great people skills. However, this is not always the case as management styles, budgets, and regional differences can make a huge impact on the associate's experience.

My co-workers are amazing. I love the team and consider myself very lucky to be their leader.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with endless short staffing, poor planning and scheduling, and lack of support combined with difficult hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer interaction. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the general public and am fortunate to have met so many wonderful people who really give me a good perspective on life. It is honor to serve them in my place business each and every day.
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
low wages, difficult hours
Not a bad job to make money.
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  White Settlement, TXNovember 9, 2015
Great benefits.
Great discounts
Easy work environment.
Management is new.
Good for students
Pay is above minimum wage
Christmas and Thanksgiving off.
Pros
discoutns
Cons
retail hours
It wasn't bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 9, 2015
It's your average retail job for college students and people right out of high school, they had free food for holidays. Management was going through a lot of changes when I was working.
Productive day with Academy Sports and Outdoors
Cashier Team Lead (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 9, 2015
Academy is the usual fun loving, workplace. The work culture and ethic is incredible. If you don't feel welcome, then there is something wrong. A fun day at Academy would be to come in to a busy day, and seeing nothing but smiles on all of the employees. The management, and employees are full of energy and its a fast paced job which makes it all more exiting. And the new faces full of potential, and ready to learn.
Pros
The people.
Cons
The way you get treated by management AT times.
Nice work place decent people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXNovember 7, 2015
Giving your knowledge and helping customers with their sports needs. Sometimes when we get busy at the registers if my department isn't busy we shall help at the registers to keep the flow of the store.
Working at Academy Sports + Outdoors
Camping Associate (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 5, 2015
Get fright out, put the product into its location, down stock, help customer when store is opened for the day, Provide answer for customers over the phone, in the store and/or assist them in finding the product of their interest in store or on the IT equipment available. Also providing support for the Cashiers and any questions they have.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
On feet through out shift, lots of bending, lifting.
Lack of knowledgable management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSNovember 5, 2015
Just as every other work place, there were some employees who worked hard and others that did nothing. The management did nothing about it, but continue to use the people who worked. The management were not knowledgeable about the area they were over.
Changing of the Gurard
associate (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, GANovember 5, 2015
Academy is a growing company and believes in promoting from within. The new Director and Assistant Director will challenge you and want and value your input.
Great atmosphere with high standard of customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Collierville, TNNovember 5, 2015
Generally speaking, Academy is a great work environment, one that listens to the concerns of all employees while trying to find solutions to said concerns. A typical day is spent ensuring customer satisfaction and applying teamwork to accomplishing tasks when needed. Associates look out for one another and try to make each others day great, especially when the work load increases as customers arrive in waves. The hardest part of the job is trying to ensure that every customer is happy and can find what they need. No one person knows everything and as such we rely on one another to try to gather the relevant information a customer seeks.
Pros
Friendly environment, Fun place to work
Cons
Inconsistent scheduling
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2015
The company was very flexible with me while in school. It allowed me to increase communication skills. Also improve my customer service skills.
Christmas Bonus
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2015
Great 401k that match 6%, Thanks giving lunch, Christmas lunch, decent pay, discounts on merchandise, flexible hours, had $2.00 lunches.
Pros
401k match
Cons
pay horrible
Great Place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARNovember 3, 2015
The best part of the job was the friendly environment working there. The managers were great. very flexible they work with you on your schedule.
terrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKNovember 3, 2015
i did not enjoy working here feel like the best part about working there were the friends that u make there. the management was horrible and i would not recommend.
Loyal Management
Cashier Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 2, 2015
Academy has been a great company to work for managers are loyal to their employees. Employees need to have a flexible availability when working retail including weekends, nights, and holidays.
N/a
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 2, 2015
I loved my experience here! I enjoyed to managing staff. I loved going to work. Some customers were rude but for the most part the job was easy. Most people hated customer service but I loved working it.
Pros
Flexability with scheduling, work hours, wages, management
Cons
Lack of benefits for part-time
fair
Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee) –  Selma, TXNovember 1, 2015
overall good management could use a little work and some better organization and communication skills training could use some work.
Pros
fun active work
Cons
temporary