Academy Sports + Outdoors

Academy Sports + Outdoors Employee Reviews

Found 1,945 reviews matching the search
Productive and a fun work environment!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Decatur, AlabamaJanuary 21, 2017
I loved working here! It was a great part time job! Enjoyed the people and management was amazing! We sold a lot of sports and out door supplies! Anything from shoes and clothes to camping gear! It was fast pass and required good people skills! A lot of young people and they were awesome!
Pros
Hour for lunch
Cons
Sales tend to be a bit boring to me!
Osha really needs to get involved
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXOctober 16, 2016
Unsafe work place. Management tells everyone what they want to hear and never follow through. Never has as sufficient amount of supplies. Hires more people than they need and cuts full time our to fill those slots. If they feel you as a threat when you are terminated they have you sign restraining orders to never go to any Academy sports and outdoors even as a customer. Not a great job unless you are trying to work while you jump to the next job.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lack of communication. No coordinating.
Very fun workplace for me since i love sports. Being able to talk to people about sports and outdoor activites is something i enjoy.
Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 2, 2017
Great place to work at with a diverse set of people that comes into the store for help. I find great joy in helping them find the exact thing they want.
Cons
No benefits and lazy workers
Worst Company to Work for
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 20, 2016
Not a good company to work for they don't work with you. When you get moved up it takes 5 to 6 months to get your raise. Employees take advantage of the company and management does nothing about it. Full time is not full time hours it's part time hours I'm losing $500.00 a month that I need to help pay bills. We work 30 hours a week. We get more when people call in.
They hire more and more but can't take care of the employees they have now.
Pros
A few great managers and team leads
Cons
some managers that don't care
Academy Sports and Outdoors is a Productive and fun place to work at.
Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJanuary 3, 2017
I enjoyed working at Academy Sports + Outdoors. I enjoyed working with my fellow colleagues and helping customers. I learned several thing while working at Academy such as inventory management, interpersonal and communication skills, and the logistics of the company.
Pros
The employee discount
San Antonio Academy job position
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 10, 2016
My job position at the academy in San Antonio was terrible! After spending over a year with the company in Midland, Texas my experience with the company after i transferred was not worth the move! Managers were terrible and had asked to be moved back to the position i had worked before i transferred and was denied several times because the department was "full" even after an employee had already quit.
Pros
flexible hours, 3point5.com
Cons
managers, benefits, pay
Producticive and fun work place
Sales Associate/ Freight Team/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 14, 2016
Typical day of work consisted on zoning, customer service, stocking, and price marking. Management created a god and enjoyable work place for the employees. The hardest part of the job was really dealing with customers that were difficult and rude. The enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers everyone help out and created a good work environment.
Pros
Hour Lunches, Flexible work schedule
Cons
Pay
academy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXMarch 20, 2017
Typically I will come in, log onto my register and starting handling the customers that need to be taken care of. If they need me to help with any other sales i will. If it gets slow i will make sure the front end looks nice. Management is very laid back and hands off. This is a very simple job.
Pros
very easy job
Cons
inconsistent schedules
Bad experience with apathetic management.
hunting and fishing sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 23, 2017
Rather pleasant work environment overall and good pace with well utilized schedule. Though closing procedures could be abnormally long especially during the holidays.

Was actively being promoted which was fantastic but unfortunately I had to leave due to combination of personal issues requiring my attention outside of work and concern about lack of health insurance after a near miss incident from another employee improperly using CO2 refilling station.

Gave my two week notice, worked until I was taken off schedule and proceeded to clear up personal issues. Reapplied several months later and personally told I quit without notice and was I would not be considered because of this.
Pros
Excellent on the job training
Cons
Strict cellphones cant be carried policy
Firearms Sales
SALES LEAD ACADEMY SPORTS AND OUTDOORS (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 25, 2017
Great workplace with the opportunity to explain the use of certain firearms for specific types of shooting activities as well as exposing customers to the benefits of using quality firearms in order for them to enjoy the hunting/shooting experience.
Pros
Exposure to to various types of firearms
Cons
Healthcare
Good workplace with good atmosphere and treated fairly
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARMarch 16, 2017
My time working at Academy was quite enjoyable. I was given a break when I was suppose to and the management team was realistic. It was obvious to me that the staff there really cared about their workers as well as the well being of the store.
Pros
Free lunches, good management
Its okay, you get no hours and pay sucks.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Pearland, TXFebruary 1, 2017
There's never any hours to give out and pay is horrible. You have to be the managers favorite friends to get promoted .I feel like I do more and know more than the team leaders, even more than our logistics manager also. But I don't get promoted, I don't get how the promotion works.
Pros
my co workers
Cons
Hours, pay, promotion
Summary
Men's Apparel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 15, 2016
Until they change up the management, it is just not worth working here. They keep the store understaffed so stress is always high, and then will not even give you adequate compensation.
Pros
Good benefits and great people
Cons
Slow advancement, pay is negligible, management is terrible, etc.
Fun at times
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 31, 2017
Dose not like to hire within the company. Expects you to go above and beyond without reward. Poor management. Hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers. Most enjoyable part of work is being around the employees you get along with.
Pros
helping customers
Cons
poor management
Great Place to work and make friends.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 30, 2017
"I worked for Academy and During that time I found the company had good and high ethical values, yet that specific store had a problem with favoritism between management and associates. Management also lacked when it came to discipline and scheduling."
Pros
Great work place
Cons
Too many managers
Okay work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2017
There is not much to do and when I was there under staffed and new management did not feel the need to help employees only boss them around. The job should be done short term.
Pros
Paid 15 min. breaks, Hour lunches
Decent workplace, long breaks and flexible work hours
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 1, 2016
Typically my day at work at Academy consisted of assisting customers and down-stocking. This is not a hard job, and at times can even be fun, but don't screw around. The management are very good at their jobs, and know when work needs to be done, but can be relaxed at the same time. Overall, this was not a bad place to work, however it's not for everyone if you don't think you can handle dealing with varying levels of attitude from the customers.
Pros
Hour-long lunches, employee discount
Cons
No benefits for part-time, no sick time until one year completed
not a bad place to work
Recieving Associate (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 29, 2016
It's a fun place to work and there's a lot of cool people here. The management can get on your nerves but I'm sure that's anywhere you work.
Pros
Fun place to work, co workers are really fun
Cons
Management could be better but that could just be perspective point of view.
Good starter job
Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXJanuary 22, 2017
The constant change of management made it hard to understand set policies. The work was great, as well as the interaction with customers. All in all, I would not mind working as part time here again.
Pros
Set list of things to get done daily
Cons
One hour break- non paid lunch, work every holiday
Productive place to work
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMarch 10, 2017
I learned a lot working for academy sports and outdoor. This was the first job that I was given a supervisor position. I learned how to manage people that were younger and older than I was. Learned how to file store paperwork, manage the store safe, and be included in management meetings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Our community is ready to answer.

Academy Sports + Outdoors Reviews by Location