Academy of Art University

Academy of Art University Employee Reviews

Organizer and dependent on making and mailing (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 28, 2016
-Typical day was computer skills
-very outgoing people
-Co workers were sweet and helpful.
-Never really got to change the things i had to do.
The negative reviews are accurate.
Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 15, 2016
AVOID this place at all costs. Working here was a joke. Have you been searching Indeed a lot the past few months? Have you noticed AAU has been posting the same positions over and over again? That's because nobody wants to stay once they are hired.
Pros
I left.
Chronically understaffed with high turnover rates of contract employees
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 14, 2016
During my 2+ years there, there were some flexibility in scheduling but such a high turnover rate that it's hard to build a good connection with coworkers. Every semester or two, people will get replaced or leave the job because there are no benefits offered with contract work. Though I worked over summer and winter, many others did not get to.
I was also told that they will not give it job references, only verification of time worked. While they offer one free course at the academy each semester, it is really tough to work it around the work schedule...I was also told that you may not attend any other courses outside of the academy while working there. While many students were pleasant and understood the fact that things were always slow because of the understaffing, many were not. Chronic understaffing made for a bad work environment and it was one of the reasons I left. And I mean that over my two years there, only the first semester had enough staff. All the others were cut in half or even down to a quarter at times. Even had people from other departments come assist.
Pros
Great short term coworkers, free course per semester
Cons
Chronically understaffed, low pay, no benefits, other restrictions
Great workplace and management
Undergraduate Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 25, 2016
I have evolved and developed skills and I attribute that to Academy of Art University, now I am looking for a company with more growth opportunities.
Pros
Cons
More growth
Teaching here is excellent.
Adjunct Instructor of Transportation Design (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 28, 2016
Leadership, students and curriculum are open to innovation making outcomes extraordinary. Students are encouraged/supported to work to the best of their individual means and find that they are capable of great outcomes in remaining true to themselves in the process. Very rewarding work.
Pros
Exceptional creative talent from staff to student.
Cons
Cost of living in San Francisco
Creative and Intelligence
MFA Student Rep (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2016
We are the bridge between school and students. And we help out students if they have any opinion about school, and deliver their opinion to school, and also try to work it out.
Flexible and fun work assignments
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 25, 2016
The job was fairly straightforward, but you have to actively seek hours as they will rarely be assigned in a normal manner. Good pay however, California minimum wage per hour
Pros
Work Study program
Cons
Hours are sketchy
Unprofessional
Instructor/Teacher Online (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 7, 2016
This school does not respect its adjuncts. As an online teacher I was never sure who my direct supervisor was, and if I reached out or asked questions I was treated like a troublesome stepchild. The man in charge of my particular department was so erratic in his mood swings I suspected he was psychotic, and overall I got the feeling no one knew what they were doing. I've never worked for such an unprofessional, disorganized company. I definitely cannot recommend this school.
Pros
Some of the students were great
Cons
Unprofessional management
IT Support (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 25, 2016
Great place to work if your management chain is competent. You'll have a relaxed work environment and the opportunity to learn skills that will carry you to your next job. I would not be seeking a new job if it weren't for the need to relocate, so that says a great deal.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, chance to learn on the job
Cons
Compensation on the low end
Avoid
Financial Aid Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 8, 2016
This was a terrible company to work for, a psychotic heiress ownes this school and has made it a terrible place. I would do my researh before working here
benefits
Cons
The owner of the University
Challenging school and expensive
Digital Editor/Story telling student (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2016
This school has a great atmosphere and they make sure that their staff are real working professionals in the fields that they teach. However, the school is outrageously expensive.
Great work environment
Senior Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2016
The variety of fields of study get the creativity in you. Being in the same industry, relating to students striving the same is a lot easier to handle.
Pros
The variety of the fields of study.
Cons
The work load
Poor Practices.
recreation specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 5, 2015
This place is the worst place to work for. They do not balance life and employment. The management lacks experience in the specific filed they are place in. They also over work people, and do not pay over time, everyone is basically a contractor status. Brakes, absence due to medical issues are not taken with understanding. Specifically, this review is for the fitness and recreation department, which completely lacks experience and knowledge in the leisure service.
Pros
no pros.
Cons
everything.
Neutral Environment
Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2015
An okay place to work, no formal training provided, micromanaged and expected to execute all work on your own, without any direction. It's basically a "sink or swim" situation. You're expected to walk in on your first day of work and figure it out...again, no formal training. No communication between staff and management whatsoever, no meetings held to ensure that any new information/policies are effectively communicated...which makes it an uncomfortable place to work. No room for growth, impossible to transfer to another department. For a million dollar company, you would think that more effort would be put into ensuring that employees are trained properly instead of simply being handed an employee manual to read.
The Worst Place to Work - hands down!
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downtown SFSeptember 17, 2015
Yep, it was one of the worst place I ever worked: I worked as their payroll assistant once. Their payroll software was unfamiliar to me and without knowing I clicked the "submit payroll button" twice. Well, everyone got paid twice.

The fact, their payroll was twice more than usual was not caught by the payroll manager, the other payroll assistants, CFO, the controller, or even their bank.

The payroll manager made me call everyone and apologize instead of fixing the problem. I called each one of them, and thankfully, the instructors were so nice to me.

After that I got fired. They even escorted me out with their security guard which I thought was little comical since I apologized everyone all the way and showed no aggression at all.

Anyway, once I got home I felt such a relief and had a good nap!
Pros
got paid
Cons
toxic
Productive and Great place to work
Faculty - Sound Design, Motion Pictures (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 12, 2015
The Academy if a fun place to work. Interact with students is great and very challenging, but there is always something to learn everyday.
Pros
free access to studios
Cons
short breaks
They treat you like family
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 7, 2015
Great place to work. Great pay and benefits. The President treats you like family and always thanks you for your hard work.
Student friendly environment
Studio Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 8, 2015
The technical director of this department has done a great job overhauling and revamping the direction and standards of the program. There is ample communication and understanding of what responsibilities need to be accomplished. Schedule that works well with a students workload.
Pros
learning environment, hours
good job. enrollment's down.
Adjunct Professor and Graduate Studies Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 5, 2015
Facilitating courses online is an easy job. At this school I basically stimulate discussion and grade assignment. The hardest part of this job is to always work alone with someone monitoring to make sure that you post the minimum number of times to discussion groups, etc...
Pros
Easy job.
Cons
Enrollment's down.
Disappointment
Undergraduate Admissions (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 23, 2015
Ask questions about what the expectations of the job really are; cause they won't tell you up front. Drink the Kool-Aid and then start working, should be there missions statement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy of Art University. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8