Academy of Art University Employee Reviews

AAU: not recommendable
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 12, 2017
With better and stronger management plus more job security, this school would be so much better to work at.

Unfortunately, there is no job security at all. Shortly before the semester starts, instructors get a tentative schedule that could change during the first week. This is the hardest part of the job.

Parttime instructors are laid off every semester and do not know if they can return. This causes tremendous anxiety. Nor can one enroll in any private classes due to the short term schedule planning by management.

Workplace culture: frustrated, anxious, colleagues or some that sugar coat the issues at the AAU. Very little to no support by management. Instructors often get blamed by management instead of them taking the issue up with those students that cause problems. Reason: money.

Most enjoyable part: working with talented students, content instructors, and being exposed to lots of art.
Pros
Exposure to art and working with talented art students and content instructors
Cons
Weak management, low pay and job insecurity
Good Position for Full Time College Student
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2017
Working at this company was helpful while I actually attended classes as a full time student at the campus. Gave me a chance to interact constantly with other students and gave me professional skills like constant problem solving and data management. Hardest part of the job is you lived where you worked so there was little privacy in day to day life.
Pros
free meals, free housing
Cons
little privacy, high stress moments, conflicting schedules.
Creative environment.
Director of Photography (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 4, 2017
The Academy was a place to learn and hone your craft. Always exploring your creative side. The people there were kind and assisted the creative process in every way with positive affirmation.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Low pay, starter position
great management, job security
Laboratory Technician in the Game Lab (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 7, 2017
I enjoyed working there, it was laid back and the management was on top of things. It was great to be around students working hard to improve their skills.
Pros
great management, job security
Great school
Judge (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 7, 2017
During my time at Academy of Art I learned all the tools that it takes to be successful in the real world. I love how hands on every class was and it was never packed so I could have one on one time with the teachers if I ever needed.
bad places
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 18, 2017
I would not recommend anyone to go there to work

the manager was Useless

no help at all

Workplaces culture was so bad

No help or any support from Managers
Pros
nothing
Cons
bad manager
A Mismanaged Department with zero consideration for employees
Admissions Representative/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 31, 2017
Academy of Art University will rank as one of the worst places I have worked at.The culture of who you know and not what you know reigns supreme here.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Bad management
Summary
Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 31, 2017
A typical day at work is either a 9-6 shift or 11-8 shift. You get an hour for lunch and two fifteen minute breaks. Learn to communicate with potential students.
What You Make of It
INSTRUCTOR OF DIGITAL ART (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 30, 2017
Working as a part time faculty member at AAU may be compared to being a student. There are incredible resources available to you but it is up to you to make the most of them.
Nice and busy
Operator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 27, 2017
Th9s school is really big and there are alot of students and employees here at this school. I answered alot of phones and questions. I had a great time here.
Dynamic and fun workplace with friendly staff
Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 24, 2017
Working with some of the best writers in the city made for an exciting workplace. On a daily basis, I learned more about writing and editing all the works of my peers. It was a very creative environment which made the hardest part of the job, leaving at the end of the day to go home.
Avoid working here
Lab Technician - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 19, 2017
You don't get paid or have work between semesters, you will also loose any kind of health coverage too. The pay is low for the bay area, and everyone else is in your same position so getting along with your coworkers is tough if any opportunities come up.
Cons
You don't work between semesters
One of the best school in the US
VFX Compositor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 13, 2017
The Academy of Art University is such a good place to learn art. For me, I learn from the start to advance skills. All the instructors are real professional from real career. I have learned many things from this school.
Exciting to Students visions come to life
Studio Facility Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2017
Fun working with students and seeing their creations come to life. Great place to see potential and influence their creativity. Learn something new every day. Management and leadership lacked when I first joined their Motion Picture and Television Equipment Facility. I felt the need it needed to be improved and I was able to influence the facility and quickly grow through this company. The hardest part of about this job is dealing with changes and upper managements decisions. But the most exciting part about this job is working with a team to help students and faculty deliver the best results to students and make their aspirations come to life.
Very artistic job, got to work with a number of art works and an art show.
Work Study Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 21, 2017
While it was an office job, it was an office job at an art school so the duties were a bit different. I got to deal with a alot of original artworks as well helping out extensively with an annual end of the year art show. Over it's not a bad place to work, my only complaint is that there is no way to advance further, there is no pay raise or bonuses. It all stays the same no matter how many years you work there, it was a great job for what it was at the time.
Pros
Nice breaks, working with artists and original art work, pretty quiet and a variety of tasks to work on.
Cons
No advancement!
Great group of young coaches who are driven
Assistant Baseball Coach (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2017
The department is full of young people looking to mold college athletes and better prepare them for life after college. Being the only art school in the NCAA and located throughout San Francisco, there are many challenges that arise and this group of people dominates it day in and day out.
Front desk position is actually more like security than reception.
CAMPUS HOST (Current Employee) –  79 New Montgomery SF, CaJune 11, 2017
I really enjoy working at the front desk but was not expecting to be somewhat of a security guard. The environment is very friendly but I found it to be impossible to advance to a higher position.
Pros
A temporary manager made great changes in the department.
Cons
Having to wear a campus safety shirt, secure an entire building at the end of the day and low pay made it a temporary position for me.
Lab Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 28, 2017
This is a great place to work if you can get in.
Love the creative vibes!
However, most jobs are on a semester contract basis so you never know if your contract will be renewed.
Pros
like minded people
Cons
most jobs are contracted positions
Let go because of dyed hair
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 23, 2017
This private school that is very business oriented had let me go for dying my hair red because it infringed on their policy of attire "only natural hair colors". The students are stressed and the classes are extremely difficult which in turn leaves students dropping courses and owing thousands of dollars back. This is not a good school if you really care about your education and are a native to the Bay Area with low income. Working in the Financial Aid department fairly any students were provided grievance options for their financial hardships because we are to assume they will not be approved. The faculty is sweet and caring but overall I would not recomend working here.
Pros
Hour break
Cons
No body mods
Great place to work at
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoApril 19, 2017
I loved working with the Director. He made the whole experience better. I've worked with him and the school for a long time so I was used to the whole experience.
Pros
Part time work
Cons
busy days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Academy of Art University. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7