Acadian Ambulance Service Employee Reviews

Daily Routine
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 6, 2017
I learned many things from more seasoned medic's, due to the fast pace of the company you were spending your 12 hour shift trying to take inventory of your truck. Some calls were far away due to the under staffing at night. I loved the job that I did and it takes a special person to do it. I worked nights so there was not much recognition to the job we did, but the new management was trying to change that. The new management was not afraid to go out on calls with us, this is why he had respect from all employees.
Pros
Great energy from employees who worked the same shift
Cons
The pay
stressful at times
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJuly 28, 2017
up to date dispatch center with continuous upgrades, regional subdivisions with excellent supervisory staffing. only drawbacks were long commute for me (90 minutes one way
Decent place to work.
Critical Care Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TX 77701July 22, 2017
Typical day is you show up for shift and start running calls until the end of your shift. Patient care focus is nice to see but still has the underlying "profit driven" mindset. I was afforded many opportunities to grow as a paramedic eventually becoming a CCEMTP and preceptor.
Pros
Good equipment and OT opportunities
Cons
Very high call volume
Great company to work for
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 3, 2017
Dispatch was busy and supervisors were always there to jump in and help. The ESOP company was a plus to have in the benefits that were already outstanding.
Pros
Cons
pay
job enviornment, helping patients
EMT-Basic (Former Employee) –  Terrytown, LAJune 20, 2017
I enjoyed the work I did here.. Helping the various different patients, & working with/learning from my fellow coworkers..

I wasn't a huge fan of some of the non medical/healthcare related issues that were focused on by the management.. Patient care, & patient satisfaction, very often took a backseat to administrative issues that had very little to do with my job.
Pros
job enviornment, patients, coworkers
Cons
managment, non patient care issues that were the center of focus
People are great
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSJune 14, 2017
People are great to work with. Operation supervisor is awesome. He will go out of his way to ensure you have what you need. However he needs to stay in the office and stop running calls.
Pros
Work environment
I love my job
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 18, 2017
I would always recommend working here. I have always had wonderful supervisors. Everyone I have met I have gotten along with. Made a lot of new friends here.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Hate that they dont fire people that shouldnt work there.
Good for a First Job after college
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAApril 12, 2017
My foundation was set by this company and their strict standards. I was taught quickly how to adapt to a man's world of workforce, but I forged through and didn't let anyone stop je
Good place to start
Specialty/Critical Care Paramedic, (Current Employee) –  Houma, LAMarch 29, 2017
This is a decent place to work. However, it is a service that is best for a new paramedic to learn. It could use some work, but overall good. The management could use some work. If you are in the in group you are good, if not you will get a check and hours. However, if you are not in the in group advancement not going to happen.
Van Operation
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMarch 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this job. This was a contracted job with Lake Charles Memorial Hospital. My job duties was transporting patients, lab equipment and films. The job ended because of the contract wasn't renewed.
Typical Contract company
Emergency Medical Technician- Basic (EMT-B) (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LA 70503February 15, 2017
Nothing any different here as any of the other companies that I have reviewed. Senior management here did not keep there word regarding my contract which was nothing new.
The people are great but most management is horrible.
NREMT- Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 18, 2016
I hear other areas are better but I can only speak for the Baton Rouge area where I work. Most of my coworkers were great to hangout with at work, but some would stab you in the back for what seemed like anything. Also, there are many employees that will constantly ask to swap shifts, but when you need to swap they are nowhere to be found. Management was a joke and would rather see you at work puking your guts up than allow you to call out. They also are very bad about picking and choosing who needs to follow the rules and who doesn't. They have favorites and aren't afraid to show it. There is no advancement in the area, unless you are one of the chosen by the current management. If you are ever do something different than "their way", whether or not it is correct, they will not hesitate to threaten to take you to the state EMS board to have your license revoked. If they want you gone, they will make sure to make work life miserable and push you to the point were you quit or they find a "policy" you have broken, even if they agree it shouldn't be a policy or break the policy themselves. Also, if you are night shift, they have no respect for you at all. Your problems fall on deaf ears. They will also call you at all hours of the day to ask you to come in, yet, if you are not a chosen they will continue to say there are no available shifts if you ask for them until an hour before the shift when it miraculously becomes available. If you work daytime, be assured you will get off a minimum of an hour ate 90% of the time. Night shift is hit or miss, but be assured, they hardly provide  more... coverage for crew swap. My last point of this review involves transferring to a different part of the company. If you are an EMT you can come and go as you please, but as a medic you will not be allowed to leave. They will find a way to bury your requests or say you cannot transfer because they are short handed, or they don't feel comfortable allowing you to leave.  less
Pros
You get to see a good percent of Louisiana on a daily basis.
Cons
They treat you worse than just a number.
Long time sitting in truck
Critical Care Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 9, 2015
Some of the people are great to work with. Management is fair with employees. Do a lot of posting. Schedule is okay but don't have a specific time to get off. Run crews down trying to save money
Acadian Ambulance
NREMT-Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LASeptember 17, 2015
Acadian Ambulance was a good company to work for. Being in the public and helping in their time of need was a good feeling.
Pros
good schedule
Cons
poor pay
I love working here. It's one HUGE family!!!
Van Operator (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 22, 2015
It's a fun company to work for. There is never a dull moment. I like the fact that i get to meet new people every single day. On a normal workday, it's pretty much non-stop moving and driving. I drive on average 200 mile in a 8-hour shift with a radius of about 45 miles. I really enjoy driving, always have. i wouldn't say there is a hard part to the job I do, except for the different weather conditions I'm exposed to. Overall, GREAT company to work for!
great company
ems (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 28, 2015
great company if you don't have a family or a critically ill child and if you're willing to work 100 hours per week and every time they ask you to work. don't recommend this place for any type of student.
Stressful, unorganized, political place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LA - Communication CenterFebruary 24, 2015
Rampant Nepotism. Inconsistent discipline based on management's discretion. The company has a good cause, but management has not evolved since 1970's - more militaristic, than employee-friendly. Senior employees allowed to antagonize newbies.
Pros
Esop
Cons
Very stressful place to work, constant life-threatening emergencies, size of the company the patient census, work is overwhelming at times, If managed better would be more tolerable
Inventory the ambardance, run calls, care for patients and transporting patients. I've learned how to stay calm in difficult situations
EMT (Current Employee) –  Raceland, LaFebruary 10, 2015
No shift is typical except for inventorying the ambulance and stations duties, but shift to shift I never know what kind of calls we will be going on. This job has taught me how remain calm in very difficult situations and also how to find solutions to problems in any type of circumstance. Our management is a group of medics who have been around for years and they help run the company very well. I do feel however that we are not compensated fairly by the job we perform and things we deal with on an ambulance but benefits are very good. I do enjoy my job and helping others but I am at the point that I want something different and need to move on to something more long term and better compensation.
Acadian is a good place to work.
NREMT- Basic (Former Employee) –  Laplace, LAJanuary 17, 2015
Acadian is a great place for the brand new EMT or Paramedic to start and learn what pre-hospital care is like. Acadian pays poorly and they do not pay for experience but they do have the Employee Stock Option Program ( ESOP) because Acadian is employee owned. Acadian also runs their own EMS Academy, the National EMS Academy or NEMSA. Acadian has fix and rotary wing aircraft,t if one desires to be a flight Paramedic and theSafety Management System for any medics looking to go work offshore. I really liked working for Acadian and all the avenues one could travel and grow within the company, however, the pay was too little for living in the City of New Orleans. Acadian hires throughout Louisiana, Coastal Mississippi and South East Texas. I would work for Acadian again if only the rate of pay were more.
Horrible Management in Baton Rouge
Critical Care Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Baton RougeJanuary 10, 2015
If you want to return to high school with cliques, tantrums, fights and back stabbing then this is the job for you. Dispatchers are vindictive and hold crews several hours past off time for stable TRANSFERS. Management could care less about safety. Supervisors act like spoiled children and treat field crews badly when they ask for the proper equipment or safety procedures. Hostile work environment ensues when one of the cliques decides you are not worthy of existence. The only bonus was the pay and that is hush money because no one in their right mind stays in this area for long. Highest number of employees on Aderal I have ever seen. Adults with the High school mentality washed up and on psyc meds pretending to care about sick and injured people.
Pros
sign on bonus - but they will tell you they "own" you and force overtime
Cons
horrible people that belong behind bars or in a psyc ward