Acadian Ambulance Employee Reviews in United States

Least compassionate and worse management ever
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 4, 2016
Youre a number and nothing else here. Everthing os a punishment. Get off late everyday for a last minute transfer get treated very disrespectfully by dispatch om and most managers. The QIC uses only negative reinforcement. I regreat my 2 years here it ruined ems for me no respect for veterans.
Pros
Cons
Everything overworked undetpaid missery
This company will kill you
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  EverywhereJuly 27, 2016
You WILL get hired, probably on the spot at your interview! The reason for this is the terrible turnover at this company. They run their medics into the ground and if you're on flex it's even worse. They acquire too much too fast and unfortunately will soon be the only private EMS company around. Many times had to drive almost 200 miles round trip for a 12 hour shift with no compensation for mileage/gas/tolls. Management is mediocre at best. They claim to care about their employees SO much, but really what they care about is $$$ even when employee and patient (customer) safety comes into the picture. Great place to work if you don't mind getting off late EVERY shift, driving all over the planet for next to no money, 1% raises, and poor morale in the Houston area. They will run you into the ground and when you quit asking how high when they say jump they will turn right around and screw you again.
Pros
None come to mind
Good for pay Service
Preceptor/Paramedic (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 28, 2016
Good company to work for in the EMS industry in Texas, good structure, equipment, and systems. They have a pretty good reputation and treat their employees fairly. I would work for them again.
Keeps me busy, sometimes too busy. Management is lacking but overall the company is very good.
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXDecember 31, 2015
The company is pretty good although some of the management is horrible. I hate my partner but there are good partners available. There seems to be a lot of laziness all around.
Pros
Overtime available, they try to work with your schedule
Cons
Management can be very unprofessional, I work better by myself I learned.
Great Family Atmosphere
Verification (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 19, 2015
The first day I worked there every person in the building came and introduced themselves. The Vice President new me on a first name basis and greeted me with a smile. I had to leave an abusive husband and my manager not only encouraged me, knowing I would have to leave the company, but has called me every day since to make sure I am ok.
Pros
These people are family
Cons
Pay sucks, but ESOP is great once you qualify
Acadian Ambulance
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 27, 2015
Although in other areas Acadian Ambulance is the premier institution the capital area unfortunately is not. Under the direction of Justin Cox the capital area Acadian Ambulance name is poor and utilized only as a "because there is no other service" scenario. I worked as a full-time paramedic for the capital are for two years and in that time Justin Cox and his management team consistently changed the explanation of company policy, created favoritism, and did not foster teamwork.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, Lack of Team work, and "Liquid" rules
Dispatcher
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAApril 13, 2016
A typical work day is processing alarms. I learned different protocols in securing commercial and residential properties.
Good placed to start as fresh EMT
Field Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXAugust 19, 2015
North Texas region deals mostly with interfacility transportation; no true 911 status emergencies. Good place to began as a brand new EMT or Paramedic or retiring paramedic. Boring for someone fresh out of school and difficult to gain experience. Great stepping stone to begin a career in EMS though.
Pros
Best pay as far as private ambulance companies go
Cons
No true emergencies and poor management
not a fun place to work
EMT (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 29, 2015
Management is racist. Criticism abundant while praise and appreciation remain scarce. Those with institutionalized industrialized military mindsets would fit right in. All tools should work for Acadian, as they'd be quickly tossed into the shed with the rest.
Acadian Ambulance
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LAAugust 25, 2015
Acadian is a great company and i'm going to miss my Acadian family. I went from being a van driver to becoming and EMT and on the EMS bike team. I did all this because I was encouraged by my peers. It's truly like a family at Acadian.
Pros
Cons
It's a very physical job
Quiet Environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  HopkinsSeptember 2, 2015
This was a very independent job. We were trained, but a lot of stuff we did learn on our own. We had to do data input from the runs in three states. We had top verify information, and make sure we do a certain amount a work a day.
Had an Awesome Boss
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJune 11, 2015
Acadian is probably the greatest company I have had the pleasure of working for. I had the pleasure of working with the company 2 separate times. I will always love Acadian.
Pros
Wonderful medics, ongoing improvements. top of the line equiptment, high class supervisors.
Cons
crazy shifts, rarely get off shift on time.
Above the learning curve
EMT (Current Employee) –  Sildell, LAOctober 12, 2015
Always learning ways to improve the EMS world. In touch with the latest knowledge of the EMS world. Proven leaders in todays world.
Very Good Place to work, If you want to work
CCT Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 19, 2016
I have been a part of the Acadian Team for years. I came to North Texas after experiencing the Louisiana side of operations. In the last year, this area has grown not only on the business end, but the personal end. The management has changed and a new culture of positive rather than negative reinforcement has emerged. EMT's and Paramedics have received across the board raises to bring the pay up to market rates. Although the issues with dispatch will happen no matter where you work, the management team in north Texas has somewhat reigned in the sometimes overzealous dispatchers. The management team is actually standing up for their employees now instead of blowing off their complaints. We still get off late, but I chalk that up to being in ems. Since the new management staff has taken over last year, we have lost a bunch of employees who quite frankly, we did not need anyway. They were against the new management team for a reason. Good managers would sniff them out and replace them. We have an awesome team now and I am proud to say I am an Acadian Employee Owner. We have great medics, emt's van operators and yes, I'll say it, we have great leaders. This is a job that has plenty of opportunity for advancement if you want that. Van Operators are sent to Emt school. Emt's are sent to Paramedic school. Paramedics are sent to CCT school and as soon as you become a Paramedic, you are eligible to move into management.
Pros
State of the art equipment, Progressive protocols, Good management, competitive pay, Good friends
Cons
Still get off late, pay could always be better, long hours
Progressive company, good training.
Paramedic / Critical Care Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 23, 2015
Working for Acadian had its occasional ups and downs. I started out on 12 hour night shifts, which was my niche for several years. I gained training and skills as a Critical Care Paramedic and as a trainer. My coworkers were good, for the most part and I enjoyed my job. I was transitioned to a 24 hour shift for the last few months of employment which I greatly enjoyed. Their medical protocols were on par with most of the local services and exceeded standards in a few areas. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep open lines of communication with management. Managers seemed to be approachable, but rarely did any changes come about when problems were brought to them until the problems became large enough as to be intolerable or dangerous. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the job itself. Taking care of people in need. I also enjoyed teaching and mentoring new employees and students.
Pros
Great schedule, Employee owned, Good benefits and pay.
Cons
Difficult to deal with upper management.
Rewarding
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAMay 30, 2015
Some dayswere long and boring. Sit and wait. Then there were calls where the patients were very sick or badly injured. I didn't do this job for the money, I was able to make a difference and help others.
Pros
the lives that were saved and/or made better because of me
Cons
unpredictable, uncontroled scenes
Acadian
Wheelchair Van Operator (Current Employee) –  Humble, TxFebruary 19, 2015
A typical day at work for me is going to the main station, preparing my van for the day then heading to my first call of the day. I have a set schedule of who I pick up along with extra doctors appointments. I get along with all of my co-workers and all of the supervisors although I rarely see them. The hardest part of the job is never knowing if you're going to get off on time. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to see all of the patients and new people every day as well as helping people.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not knowing when you're going to get off.
fun co workers, terrible management.
paramedic (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 11, 2016
started off with acadian as a paramedic was some what decent when we had our original OM steven simon. we received a new OM Beau. ever since than, we lost 22 employees, vans, EMT,Paramedic. The lewisville administration office is a complete joke. they expect pure loyalty for you to come in on your days off but when you ask for a day off they completely won't allow it. a bit of advice for employees and future. they do NOT allow time off, you have to actually find somebody to SWAP your shift. (which is impossible). Make sure to pack your lunches and pack extra. The chances of you actually getting a lunch break are slimmer then a tooth pick. you are always running constantly, weather its dialysis, emergency calls or transfers. they never give breaks. but management since on their lazy A** all day and gets an hour lunch? does that seem fair? equitment is decent. whenever it breaks it does take several days to weeks to repair a simple PEN from a computer. my job as a medic is to supply MY Ambulance and patient care. acadian thinks Medics, EMT's and wheel chair people are mechanics, they request you check the tire pressure and oil stick. thats not my job. what to mechanics get paid for anyways? the pay is some what alright. EMT basic starts off at 13-14$ an hour. medic is 17-20 an hour. Dispatcher is 20-23$ an hour. management is salary getting paid 30-40$ an hour. OM is about 55$ an hour. all in all acadian needs better management . would not recommend.
Pros
decent equipment
Cons
getting off late, terrible management, terrible operations manager. terrible schedules, no scheduled lunches.
Fast Paced and alot of pride in my work.
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 19, 2014
- typical days at Acadian were filled with excitement and new experiences. Hardly ever did you repeat the same day twice.
-I learned alot about myself and my community working for this company.
-My co-workers had just as much passion for the job as I did. Which in this field you have to love what you do.
- The hardest part of the job is knowing sometimes that even though you did all you could you are not going to get the outcome you want.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is when I can help someone or atleast bring a smile to their face when they are having one of the worst days of their life.
Hope you don't have a criminal record!
yeah right... (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 31, 2014
This place will not hire you if you have a criminal record! What happened to giving someone a second chance? Shows what type of people are in upper management. Pay sucks! They wilk force you to go to their school because they won't work with your current schedule! Oh....but they will take new rookies and mold them into transfer taxi drivers!
Pros
nice trucks, new equipment
Cons
non-stop calls, plenty of "paragod" a**holes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Acadian Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9