Access Family Services Employee Reviews

Administator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 23, 2017
This is a place where there is a need for people with mental health issues and they are letting people go. Enjoying giving people resources to help them and their families. Assist them in applying for foster care services, dental insurance.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
poor management
Good place to work, downsized due to consolidation
Controller (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2017
Overall excellent place to work.
Parent company consolidating financial functions and eliminating functions at the subsidiary level. My department and position were eliminated as result of this consolidation.
feedback
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 16, 2017
Initially working at this company was great but as time went on I saw that their was not enough understanding and involvement from upper management and the focus seemed to be on numbers and not the quality. The job had great flexibility but the level of the expectancy and the complaint of "too many human errors" was ridiculous...just too much! This position at this company was too stressful,unnecessarily, and too tedious of a job for one who really enjoys helping people. Again there was more focus on paper work and the tedious tasks than the families and for me it just wasn't a mentally healthy place to work.
Pros
Great flexibily
Cons
stress level not worth it
Relaxed home invironment
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 25, 2017
The overall job experience is great. Manageable hours, close in travel distance and my client is an awesome woman,. However, with this being health care, paydays fall on the 1st and the 15th, which I have yet to get paid and today is the 25th.
Awesome company to work for!
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 30, 2017
Access Family Services has shown unending support for all staff and personnel.
There is continued opportunities to move within the company. All openings are shared company wide as they come up.
There is ample opportunity for continued education and growth.
With so many specialties throughout the company, there is always something new to learn. Access also provides Intensive In Home, Therapeutic Foster Care, ABA Therapy, and other outpatient services throughout NC.
Pros
Atmosphere and supervisors.
Cons
Benefits are a little pricey. But, coverage is great and dependable.
It's ok for first job
Intensive In-Home Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 17, 2017
Kind of place that will overwork you and dispose of you. The place is centered on billing and making money. If you aren't up for that be aware. If you have high standards and truly want to help people this job isn't for you. Try to negotiate for salary because they will try to under pay if possible. Incentive based position and the company makes it very difficult to get that incentive. Place is very disorganized and management is not knowledgeable.
Pros
Stable pay, some benefits
Cons
Culture, always been threatened to be written up, focus on billing
Very intersting place to work
Administrative Assistantant (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCFebruary 7, 2017
I enjoy working here. The people are friendly. I like the job that I am doing. A typical workday is making sure that the records are up to date. I have learned a different part of my field that I graduated in. The workplace culture is very outgoing. The hardest part of my job is not being able to see all of the prospects that this company offers. The easiest part of my job is making sure that I have completed all of my daily tasks.
Over worked and they do not care about their employees or their foster kids
Therapeutic Foster Care Treatment Consultant (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCJanuary 12, 2017
The supervisor was great but the overall company was not a good place. THe area that the company is locatedis in a very bad area. They do not care about their employees or their foster kids.
Learning Experience
Team Member (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 18, 2016
There was no typical day at work which added excitement to the job. Increased communication between tiers of management needed. Excellent co-workers. Job security is one of the most difficult parts of the job that can make it difficult to concentrate on clinical care.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Lack of Job Security
Everything That Glitters Isn't Gold
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCJuly 25, 2016
Access Family Services, formerly known as Carolina Choice has a very high turnover rate that in my opinion is due to poor management, long hours and after hours work, and the lack of feeling valued. Working for this company is VERY stressful, the moral is terrible, and there is little time for self and family. The company will bend over backwards to keep a foster parent happy, but the company as a whole does absolutely NOTHING to maintain the staff that they employ. The company doesn't give raises or bonuses. Don't even expect a Christmas card (seriously). The company is numbers driven. They will take, take, taken until there is nothing more of yourself to give.

The best thing about the company are the co-workers. Though disgruntled, tired, and overworked, they constantly give one another the encouragement that is needed to endure. It is also a pleasure to work with the foster parents and they children that the company serves.
Pros
wonderful co-workers, medical insurance
Cons
long hours, no raises, low moral, no room for advancements
Poor upper management and low agency moral
Qualified Professional/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCJuly 8, 2016
Access Family Services is the worst non-profit agency I have ever worked for. All they care about is making a profit. Quality of care regarding clients was not important to them. With regards to staff, you are expected to work long hours without any compensation or flex time. Employees are lied to when it comes to promotions and raises. Merit raises are not offered and you are not paid what you are worth in terms of education and experience. HR director is rude and does not adhere to grievance policies. Makes rules and policies up as they go along to fit their needs.
Overall experience was not good at all.
Pros
Cons
Poor benefits, long hours with out any compensation, do not care about employees
Love it!
ABA Therapist (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, SCJune 14, 2016
I love working with my kids (clients)! Overall I love it...from the kids to the people I work with I couldn't ask for a better team than the one I have at Access.
Pros
Flexible schedule, paid mileage, independent work climate
Cons
Non-Consistent schedule
Good place to work.
ABA Line Therapist (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, SCJune 7, 2016
I am a ABA Line Therapist at AFS in Georgetown, SC. We work hard as a team to provided the best services to our clients. The managements at our Georgetown office are awesome . They are understanding and work with you pertaining to scheduling or needing help with clients.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
Non at this time
Enjoyable position with committed co workers
Intensive In Home Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 27, 2016
A typical day is checking in on subordinate employees, reviewing the days schedule, and seeing clients one on one . I have learned to value and meet the family where they are and assist with goals that are important to the family. The management at my current position has been supportive and professionals. My co workers are easy to work with and offer a positive work climate. Placing children outside the home is the most difficult part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing interventions work for children and families.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Familes who refuse to meet and implement interventions
An excellent place to work that provides different types of opportunities for employees
Level II Therapeutic Foster Care Case Manager, QP (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at Access. Management was more than willing to work with me while I was completing my Masters degree.
A typical day at work included morning meetings with my supervisor, where we discussed foster care cases and reviewed the next steps for both the families and the children. I learned how to appropriately manage foster families as well as how to open the lines of communication between both biological and foster families. My coworkers and I spent most of our time within the community, so there was not a lot of interaction between other departments. Interactions that did take place were mostly during morning staff meetings and team meetings. The hardest part of the job was the adjustment between foster families and children. Many children did n not understand the reason they were placed. The most enjoyable part was reunification of the children with their biological family, and when foster parents adopted children who were not reunified.
Pros
Flexibility, self-management, networking with other agencies, healthcare benefits were excellent.
Cons
Employee turnover was extremely high
Great co workers, poor management
Intensive In Home Services Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 30, 2015
There is so much turn over and focus on productivity that it makes it hard to take care of the clients. I love my co workers but management was focused on money, productivity, expanding, and not focusing on taking care of the clinical staff.
Strong supportive environment
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 4, 2014
I have worked several places in my career, and this office works very hard to support staff while keeping us in the black in a tough state to provide mental health services to those who need it. The environment is flexible with your needs and schedule while expecting high results. Intensive In Home in particular maintains a very flexible schedule. The culture in Asheville is open and fun and overall trusting. The company's benefit package is making some strong improvements in 2015, but offered sick time is still lacking. The regional director is aware of employee's personal needs and really cares about her staff and the families served. Expectations for billing and time management and professionalism are pretty high, and for that the region has a strong reputation in the community.
Pros
Great atmosphere, knowledgeable coworkers, Caring management
Cons
High productivity expectations
Another job...
Mental Health Case Manager/Day Treatment/ IIH (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 2, 2014
Poor compensation, administration has favorites and there is no opportunity for growth.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
Everything else
Beware!
Therapist (Current Employee) –  NCSeptember 9, 2014
Don't waste your time. On the surface, the company seems to be very stable, but once you become an employee it becomes apparent very quickly that there is a gross lack of communication between the various tiers of management and employees. From the time I started there waves of people were laid off with little to no explanation. The company is more concerned with the "bottom line" than with consumers and therapists who are in leadership seemingly have no ethical regard for the consumers.
Average place to work
Intensive In-Home Therapist (Current Employee) –  NCJuly 14, 2014
The management really makes or breaks the place. I've had a poor supervisor and a good supervisor and it made all the difference.

They are committed to ethical practice and employ high standards. The paperwork however is exhausting and at times overkill.

They tend to pile more and more on. Everyone is doing multiple jobs which makes it impossible to do one job very well. They struggle to balance the ebbs and flows of the business.

The benefits were great starting out. 10 days of vacation and 10 sick days. They have now cut back on this benefit. They are still working to get a 401K. Salary is just average.

The mileage reimbursement rate is awful (for every 500 miles you drive you get $50). They are good however with reimbursing for supplies needed for clients.

Overall, not the worst mental health agency I've worked for, but definitely not the best either.
Pros
Computer, pay for supplies, good supervision at times.
Cons
Too much work, benefit cut backs, bad mileage reimbursement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Access Family Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7