Accutest Laboratories Employee Reviews

Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJSeptember 19, 2017
Full of assignments to finish; trouble shooting.The workplace is tidy. We will work together for one target. The hardest part of the job is calibration of the machine.
It's a race to the bottom
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, NJJune 23, 2017
The environmental testing field is in a tailspin. SGS recently purchased Accutest, and it is just spiraling down further. I would recommend working there to get experience, as they tend to hire a lot of new grads, and leave as soon as you can. The pay is low for the educational requirements, and stays low regardless of promotions (unless you get very high up in SGS, I suppose). The benefits are middling- typical for most corporations, but nothing to make up for the pay. The year I left, they decided to not give raises. Every day, more and more people leave and aren't replaced. The work increases, so more work is expected from the people there. There is a culture of fear that your job or even your location (they closed several laboratory locations recently) are going to be lost with little to no notice. Lots of sticks, no carrots.
Pros
Good way to get experience straight from college
Cons
Pay, fear of losing job, overwork
Ovearall Good Company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, NJJune 19, 2017
There were some job culture issues and advancement issues. However overall it was a good company to work for and provided good benefits and pay to their employees.
single task oriented job
Sample Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 29, 2017
single task oriented job to ensure the a high productivity and timely results. salary is moderate and minimum benefits. very few options for advance an progress
Pros
lot of spare time
Cons
few benefits
Very competitive
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 21, 2017
Excellent customer service. Good working environment. Tough part was very demanding clients. Safety and quality were the number one priorities of the company.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Short breaks
Great place to work, felt more like a big family working together.
Sample Processor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, NJJanuary 6, 2017
Working with my coworkers was more fun than just a place of employment. Teamwork was at such a high standard that it made daily duties easy. We all took care of our individual responsibilities and that lead to a very cohesive unit. Managers were all capable and we all got along perfectly as a department. The most enjoyable part of the job was that no one felt more important than the department as a whole. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of your required shift. Each and every day I learned to be able to fill in for any other persons responsibilities.
Pros
overtime
Cons
working in the cold elements during winter
Productive and fun environment
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 13, 2016
There's always something to do to keep yourself busy regardless of department. The dynamic environment allows for constant learning. Interesting and diverse coworkers, but the teamwork is hard to develop.
Cool place to work
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Dayton, NJNovember 18, 2015
Very lenient and you learn a lot. Co-workers are very friendly. The SOPs are very straight forward and easy to follow. A typical day would be working on about 5-12 batches (each batch has a maximum of 20 samples) and you follow the SOPs to complete each batch appropriately. I learned a lot about different laboratory instruments and how to do certain samples, as well as different ways to extract a sample if it's texture or odor is different or hard to deal with when extracting it using the typical SOP. Management is very friendly and happy to help and teach whenever you need it. The hardest part of the job is leaving because theres so much to do and so little time, but its very fun.
Flexible hours and good pay
TCLP (Former Employee) –  Scott, LAAugust 11, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of draining soil samples from the previous day and, depending on what test code had to be performed on that sample, shipping them to other people in other labs within the same building. The equipment used to drain the samples had to be throroughly cleaned each day as well as the lab itself. The end of the day consisted of setting up for the next day.
I learned how there are many processes that must take place to determine what exactly is in each soil sample. Information must be very accurate as well, and every single detail is recorded in the lab in case something goes wrong. In this way, a person can fall back of that information to resolve the problem.
Management was fairly good and very nice. I found it hard at times to rely on them when expecting materials for my lab to come in. At times, I was delayed from my duties because I didn't have the necessary materials with which to work with.
My co-workers were not really reliable, and for this, I left my job. I did not feel as if I was properly trained for this job by a fellow co-worker who had been at this corporation for a few years. I did not like the way in which both my supervisor and other employees handled the situation.
The hardest part of the job was getting the samples done in time. On some days, more than twenty samples would come in at at time, and as a result of coordination and limited equipment, some of these samples couldn't be done until the next day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my supervisor who was very considerate of people taking time off to take care of
  more... personal issues or errands as long as the job got done in time. I was also able to leave early on some days because my work was done, and I had finished helping out in other labs.  less
Not a good place to work
GC/GCMS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAMarch 31, 2015
* No raise after gaining experiences
*Poor management
*Unfairness
*Poor coworker
*good place for fresh graduated starting
*Not good place to place in long term
good first job, not much room to move
Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 29, 2015
great that they take people straight out of college. not great training, ok management, ok benefits.
THE WORST EVER. Sexist, stressful, low-paying
Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COJanuary 14, 2015
Accutest Laboratories is the very worst. Every day there is too much to do, managers barking orders without ever helping, and extremely old equipment falling apart. They also will undervalue you and your work and pay you accordingly.

The instruments are older than I am and they refuse to put money into their infrastructure at the expense of your sanity. They are always underperforming and breaking. Management is no help, and will not advocate for you or help you in any tangible way.

Managers are sexist and pay accordingly. Don't expect HR to help you with any issues. They also engage in illegal activities.

As for work-life balance, prepare to have none if you decide to work here. You will end up staying late most nights and come in most weekends when it is a busy time, which is really hit or miss as to when that will be. Other times, you will be bored out of your mind.

Good luck if you are desperate for a job and decide to work here. I hope you reconsider.
Pros
Bagels on payday. This is literally the only good thing
Cons
Management is terrible, instruments are old, employees underpaid
Horrible
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Dayton, NJJanuary 8, 2015
They make you work a lot for no money. The managers are overworked too
It's terrible place to work
GC/GCMS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAOctober 3, 2014
No benefits, no 401k, no good raise, no good management. They treated every employee at different level. If you are their favorite, they would treat you nicely, otherwise, they tried to find any reason to lay you off or fire you without any acceptable reasons.
Average place to work for a recent graduate
Lab Tech and Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dayton NJFebruary 8, 2014
If you are looking to get your feet wet and get professional experience working in a lab then this is the place to go. If you are looking to develop your career and ground yourself with an employeer you may want to keep looking, unless you are looking to aquire a managerial or leadership position. While there are plenty of opportunities to learn new tests and aquire many fundamental lab skills and techniques this is only possible due to the high employee turnover rate. Not many people stay long. The benefits are average and the health plan could be better. The pay is questionable but if you are a recent grad then this would be just fine.
Pros
Great for gaining professional experience.
Cons
Maybe not the greatest place to ground yourself.
Needs to value employee more
Chemical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dayton, NJSeptember 27, 2013
Compensation is lacking, for the amount of work output. Job security is very high, but in exchange for lack of adequate compensation.
No comment
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Dayton, NJAugust 31, 2013
Free bagels every payday.
Inefficient work environment.
Let their clients step all over them.
Steady schedule and busy work days
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Dayton, NJJuly 26, 2013
Since I started at Accutest my job has stayed the same but responsibilities for my position have increased. My fellow co-workers are what make the work day interesting and enjoyable. The management staff is not the greatest but is not the worst I have come across. There is a huge communication problem between upper management that trickles down to the supervisors and so fourth. Overall it's not the worst job I've had but is hardly the best.
a typical work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dayton, NJMay 8, 2013
typical day at work 9 to 5
wasn't much interacted
job was pretty easy
management was just okay
Pros
free coffee
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaMay 7, 2013
Great Place to Work
Great co-workers and good environment.

Good experience for entry level position.
Pros
Good Work hours