ACH child and family services Employee Reviews

The kids are the best part of the job
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 6, 2016
As a youth care specialist, one interacts with the kids in care on a daily basis. You are their parent. You take care of their meals, laundry, daily schedule, homework, etc. This also includes discipline- never hitting! You'll get fired if you do that. This job is not for a militant because you need to be tender with these kids as well as learn a new skill set to handle children who have been traumatized. We use TBRI which is Trust Based Relational Intervention (from the institute of Child Development at TCU)

Unless you have another source of income or have a lot saved up, I do not recommend this job for the money. It is slightly above minimum wage and everyone, no matter your education or experience, is payed the same rate.

The best part of the job is the kids. There are definite lows but when they get to play and just be kids and enjoy life, it is heartwarming to watch them be silly when they have come from tragic or traumatizing pasts.

The co-workers are all relaxed and joke around a lot. A very good group. ACH does need to work on work life balance though because they don't have many ways for the workers to relax or have breaks.

Overall, your heart needs to be in this job otherwise you will burn out fast.
Pros
kids, outdoor play, benefits, fun staff, TBRI, relationships with children
Cons
little to no breaks, low pay, no well-being programs for staff
Everyone works together
Family Home Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort WorthJanuary 6, 2015
Overall, ACH is a good place to work. Like any Non-Profit agency, you have your ups and downs. We work with the community as well as with foster care youth. Management is generally supportive of the staff. The most enjoyable part is all of the activities that staff get to participate in because of the awewome donations. I have learned a great deal about Trauma while working for ACH.
Pros
good working atmosphere
Cons
compensation is not quite up to par considering the work load.
The Emergency Shelter is a Fun Family Oriented Environment
Youth Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 26, 2014
I love what do here. I have seen all types of traumic situations. I love how the CEO is so welcoming, understanding, funny and he care about his workers. He does not dictate from one side of his desk. He is a real person. I have been at ACH for 6 years. I know my job well but I am ready for a new challenge.
Pros
good insurance and i love the adolescent population i serve
Cons
pay is horrible, for all that we do, you can't work here for the money
Very demanding what make you feel good are the kids.
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 23, 2012
A typical day at work is very long. I learned Just how misfortuate some kids have it. Management should try to keep their job at a professional level. Co-workers should work together with others.
The hardest part of the job is staying awake for the dueration of a 15hrs shift. The most enjoyable part of the job are the kids.
Beware of the snakes
foster care (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 8, 2015
Overall ACH is a really good company. The director in the foster care and adoption department is the worst. She is never wrong and brings a very negative atmosphere in the room.
Pros
Helping children and families is awesome.
Cons
Needs a management overhaul
Great work environment with co workers.
Behavior Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TxMay 27, 2014
Its hard work and long hours for horrible pay but if you love to be a difference maker in the lives of children this is the place for you.
Pros
great staff.
Cons
long hours.
Good Hearted Leader
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 2, 2014
Great Leader running this place, wish more had his drive and passion to help others.
Pros
great service to the public
Cons
must have a degree for most positions salary is not competitive.
Protecting and Preserving Families
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 12, 2014
I respect ACH Child and Family Services, our goals, the training I receive and the people I get to work with everyday.
Pros
great benefits
A great company to be a part of
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, TXJanuary 18, 2013
I loved being a part of ACH for the 9 plus years that we were with them. They are encouraging and supportive in so many areas.
ACH
YOUTH SERVICES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 13, 2015
Shift lengths vary by length and day. Day shifts include down time during school year. Professional development courses included.