Achieve Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
On-Call Residential Aide (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, NYApril 4, 2015
Achieve offers a lot of different opportunities. Your days are never boring. I have learned a lot of people management skills. It is great helping those who need help.
rewarding job because of the impact and interactions with the consumers
Assistant Residence Manager (Current Employee) –  Broome County, NYAugust 25, 2014
rewarding job because of the impact and interactions with the consumers
Assistant Residence Manager (Current Employee),
Binghamton, NY – August 25, 2014
Pros: meals provided for employees working in the residential deployment
Cons: difficult to take time off due to constant lack of staff, poorly managed department
This is a rewarding job because of the interactions and impact you may have on the individuals. If you can maintain that as your focus, you will likely be successful at this organization.

As far as management goes, it is kind of a train wreck; mismanagement is commonplace. The residential department is poorly handled from middle management on up (you're only able to be as good as the management, right). The middle management is not monitored sufficiently or given repercussions when things are mishandled. The higher management's focus is on all the wrong things, not the individuals being served. Management's problem-solving skills are pedestrian at best. The new department head has only underwhelmed me at every interaction.

Middle management is not required to have much/any higher education at all, and it shows in many decisions, interactions, responses to issues that arise.

Opportunities for upward movement do exist, but accomplishing that upward movement is nearly impossible, in my experience. Overtime is always available if you're willing and interested; the department is perpetually understaffed.

I am constantly looking to move on, and I won't be looking back except in regards to the nice relationships that have blossomed between myself and some of the individuals
  more... I support.  less
Pros
meals provided for employees working in the residential deployment
easy place to work at
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYApril 23, 2014
Working for ACHIEVE opened up my love for the medical field. Good place to work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management needs improvement
Nursing Home
RECREATION SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Liberty, NYMarch 12, 2014
I did an internship here I loved it and the staff are NICE and the people who live here are so much fun to talk to.
Get to help children learn and grow
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 21, 2013
I work with grades K-8. I help children with homework, projects, and other learning skills. I continue to learn everyday while working with the children. Management is good and will work with you when you are dealing with an issue or while requesting time off. The people who work for Achieve for the most part are eager and willing to help teach the children they are working with. There is nothing too difficult associated with the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children and watching them grow over the years.
Cons
part time during the school year
ACHIEVE puts greater emphasis on the people being provided services and a staff's' worth is according to a budget. Who can be cut next?
Social Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 12, 2013
The days at ACHIEVE are usually hectic. You never know who will be calling off and where you will be working. Anything can happen on a given day such as people having a behavior, personal care needs to attend too, making sure people are safe and well supervised, making sure they are engaged in meaningful activities, going on well meaning volunteer placements, and receiving other services such as OT, PT, and speech. At all mealtimes, staff set-up & prepare individuals' foods according to dietary guidelines set by the dietician. Some peoples' food need to be cut into bite sized pieces, chopped, or pureed. If individuals have any urine and bowel issues, they need to be doned in clean clothes and soiled clothes washed. Core rooms are cleaned. Service plans for each individual is implemented, recorded, and keyed into the computer. Before program begins and when it ends, attendance during transportation needs to be taken and bus aides get ready to ride the buses. Then there are meetings and paperwork to be done.

What I have learned is that all people have the same wants, needs, and desires regardless of disabilities, diagnosis (medical, mental, & behavioral), limited receptive and expressive abilities, and intellectual competency, It is knowing the person and validating the person that builds trust and a longlasting relationship.

There seems to be clicks at the management level as well amongst other workers. Nobody is truly safe. I have seen upper management going through people's work when they are not there and coworkers squealing on other people to them.

There are a lot of good
  more... caring and hardworking coworkers.

The hardest part of the job Is knowing where you will be needed to work for the day or at all.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the intellectually impaired and developmentally disabled people and making their lives better.
Pros
enhancing other peoples' lives.
Cons
opportunity for growth with training is unavailable, more emphasis on what was done wrong, like to write people up.
Achieve
Residence Aide (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYDecember 26, 2012
A typical day working at Achieve would be picking up the individuals from program or school and giving them a snack if wanted.Later on would make dinner, we all usually spend time together going out to the mall or different activities until they were ready for bed. All twelve individuals were very independent. They all had goal they had to work on whether it being set the table on their own or doing their own laundry.Basically practicing on being more independent.I loved working in this house because all the invidividuals were so awesome and the staff as well we were a big family.
Pros
house worked well together
Cons
main management at binghamton office was horrible