Activision

Activision Employer Reviews

A fun place to work, but no job security whatsoever
Quality Assurance Software Tester (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: free food when working overtime
Cons: no job security, virtually guaranteed dismissal
Sure, we all know there's no job security when you work QA, but looking around the office, I saw maybe 3 people who were in their late 30 and early 40s. The odds of you making in this company is basically nil.

They wave the possibility of getting hired in your face, but it never happens. One QA Tester was finding 30 bugs a day, they *still* never hired – more... him. Essentially he was a perma-temp, constantly being re-hired for the next project. I heard about another tester who also had phenomenal numbers, but after FOUR YEARS of being a perma-temp he just burned out on the job, let his numbers slip, and was let go.

Even worse, I heard about a guy who worked management, but still wasn't an actual employee, he was a contract employee, he worked there as management for two years. He was finally hired on a full-time employee, then was let go two months later.

Make no mistake, Activision does not give a darn about you, you have no chance of making it here, and if you're one of the lucky few hired back in the 80s, you have no chance.

Still a QA tester position makes $10 and hour, and as long as you're realistic about what the job offers, it's fine. – less
It was a great experience for game testing
QA tester (2) one-day assignments (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAAugust 18, 2013
Pros: free food fun job
Cons: one or two day assignments
It was fun to work here and test games.
and It was a good work environment
The Best Job on the Planet
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: free soft drinks all day every day and free donut mondays
A typical day at Activision would consist of me testing video games and learning how to capture new bugs or problems in the software. I learned how to upload bug information onto a program called dev track 9. My co-workers were excellent people. I Loved everything about the job.
This is the place to learn about life.
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks, work life balance
Activision is a great starting off poing in the field of quality assurance, however it's also where you learn about how tough life can be when you are trying to move up.
Fun place to work
QA Tester (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CA.July 26, 2013
Test game, write up bugs, submit bugs.
I learned about the game dev cycle. Hardest part was not knowing if this latest project would be your last, not a lot of work but a lot of testers to employ. Easiest part was everything else.
Company could be better
QA Tester (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAMay 17, 2013
Company could be better by giving more projects to QA Tester's, normally they lay off QA Tester's after one project was finished when I was working there. Friendly people easy to get along with overall OK company.
Dog-Eat-Dog Environment
Social Media Specialist (Current Employee), El Segundo, CAApril 19, 2013
Pros: you get to go to e3... all 3 days if you're lucky.
Cons: where do i start?
You come in as a contracted employee and stay as one. Very rare chance that you will ever become an Activision employee.
Very fun work environment, but poor pay and hours
QA Anaylst (Former Employee), Eden Prairie, MNApril 5, 2013
Pros: great environment, fun co-workers
Cons: no benfits, poor pay
I really enjoyed working at Activision, but the pay is not really enough, the hours can be extreme during crunch time, and there is little room for advancement. The management and co-workers were great, but almost all of the jobs are temporary.
Activision: a "below-minimum" prison faility
Game Tester (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAMarch 11, 2013
Cons: prison-like atmosphere
Being there for just a short amount of time, I already sensed that being a game tester amongst other testers in a basement-lke atmosphere, that halfway into my time there was a prison setting. There were tens of games being tested at the same time. Which seems normal for a big company like Activision. But with schedules as the same was just horrifying. – more... We all had the same 10-minute breaks twice a day at the same time. And lunch hours all at the same time. We were trated as if we were robots programmed to take breaks all at once.
There were close to 200 testers on the floor trying to buy lunch, heat their lunch in just ONE microwave. Huge lines at the vending machines. Huge lines at the restrooms. You were only able to go to the bathroom on the breaks and if you had to go, you needed permission from your QA lead who looked like he was still going to high school. – less
Productive and customer satisfaction
Production Associate (Former Employee), Fresno, CAFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: free lunch, good beefits
Cons: poor management skills
A typical day would be helping customers to my full potential, to satisfy their needs so they can be a happy customer when they leave. I learned that giving the customers your full attention will help them feel better about coming to the store and would make them come back. Management was always there for support, my co-workers would sometimes ignore – more... their customers but I would step in if they needed help. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with so many customers, the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the customers very happy and then I would see them back the next day. That's when I know I've done my job right. – less
Incredibly productive and fun place to work with a pool table and soda machine
QA Tester (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAFebruary 11, 2013
Arrive to work a little early, the line to clock in was usually pretty long. Get to my work station. Then sign in with the QA Manager and receive a copy of the project we were working on. The management was awesome as well as the co-workers I have made life long friends. The hardest part off the job I would say was the repetitiveness but definitely – more... not a problem. The most enjoyable part was working on a project and being recognized for your work by having your name put on the credits. I love showing my kids. – less
Testing Video Game
Senior Tester (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAFebruary 5, 2013
Great job. Testing video games is a lot of fun. Good hours and overtime also.
Most fun an employee can have
Technical requirements tester (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CADecember 13, 2012
Pros: long lunch breaks, free copies of the games you worked on, play video games all day!
Cons: poor job security and advancement, high stress.
This is a video game company. Do I need to say more. I went to work and played video games for 8-12 hours a day and got paid for it. Of course there was technical reasons behind that video gaming but still. This was the greatest job in the world in my eyes. However because it was an easy job to hire for, most people got fired from the company. You had – more... to perform your job better than 99% of the people next to you or you were gone. So it had a bit of stress to it, especially as games neared completion.

There was also no flexability in hours, you worked monday through friday 8am - 5pm and that was it. During crunch times you works 6 to 6. – less
QA Tester
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAOctober 4, 2012
It's a fun job that is definitely a job. Hours are long and tiresome but it's fun being able to work on videogames all day.

Job security is always completely up in the air. Not a dependable job if all the other games are already fully staffed and no new projects coming up.
Busy and intense studio environment
Sr. Test Lead (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAAugust 13, 2012
If you want to jump into the trench warfare of developing for such franchises like Call of Duty, this is the place to work. Every project has a large team of dedicated individuals that find any way to get the work done within very tight deadlines. This environment requires multitasking, diplomacy, and crisis management. At Activision, or any subsidiary – more... studio, you make miracles happen on a daily basis. – less
My First REAL Job
Administration Coordinator (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAMay 30, 2012
Pros: great bennies, regular hours, paid parking, free games, recreation committee
Cons: n/a
I consider Activision to be my first REAL job. I held several positions over my seven-year stint there, and loved each one of them.

It was a demanding job, but trained me in corporate procedure, professionalism, taking responsibility for your actions...almost everything but how to walk.

The whole company was, and still is amazing to me. I have stayed – more... in touch with many of my fellow employees.

The hardest part of the job was keeping all of my 'hats' straight. I filled many different needs while employed there, as I handled all employee entrance/exits; security; supply and facility management; as well as holding the position of Recreation Committee Chairperson.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being on the Rec Committee, setting up events such as Ice Cream Day, buying swag for the Company Store, Birthdays, etc. – less
Fun place to work. Great Job, but don't seek a permanent career.
Social Media Specialist (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAMay 18, 2012
Pros: free games, 1hr lunches, activision title discounts.
Cons: long term temp, standard pay for temps, but below industry standard if you are not titled.
While working at Activision, I survived several layoffs. Your luck can only last so long. It is a fun environment and you have management who cares.

The problem is that during those layoffs, the position names were changed and filled. It was really tough to move up in the organization since they did a lot of outside hiring and very little in house – more... promoting. Many of the people who were in house and already doing the job, but not having the title were turned down for the positions due to "lack of experience" causing morale to dip and some employees to look for better positions elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, some people do move up, but it is few and far between for those that do.

You do establish a loyalty to the company, but not because of Activision itself, but because of your co-workers. You build a brotherhood/sisterhood with them.

In my experience, it is an average company. No better and no worse than any other in this day and age. – less
Productive Work Experience
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee), Eden Prairie, MNMay 11, 2012
Fun environment to work in. Testing pre-released games for functionality was a difficult task to report due to the lengths of repeating and duplicating errors.
Experienced Marketing Professional
Sales & Events Coordinator (Former Employee), MississaugaJanuary 28, 2014
A diverse Marketing Professional with a broad base of Marketing and Project Planning experience spanning consumer promotions, project management, CRM, marketing strategy, advertising, and sales coordination. Proven objectives through strong communication skills with the ability to plan, lead, organize and control project resources. A reputation for – more... action and building successful positive relationships internally and externally – less
Nice environment
Game tester (Former Employee), DublinOctober 16, 2012
Pros: enough time to lunch and availability to take breaks from work if you are stressed.
Cons: salaries are not very high
Activision is a leading video game company and this is shown in the environment people work every day.

About Activision

When it comes to making cool video games, Activision Blizzard¬†aims to be¬†sub-zero. The #2 global video game publisher (#1 in consoles – Read more