Acuity Brands Lighting Employee Reviews in United States

Not a great place to work if you value a good work/life balance
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INApril 24, 2016
This company has taught me so much. The demand is incredible though.The hours are long and there isn't a good work/family balance I'm thankful for the opportunity that I had but this was not the company for me with small children. My career is very important but my family will always come first.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
very long hours and very low job security
Great company overall, groups in the company could use improvement
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Conyers, GAMarch 2, 2016
Acuity Brands is a awesome company that is growing at a rapid pace. The pay is competitive and the facilities are nice. The culture and consistency within management and certain leadership positions often leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the employees along with a lost sense of direction for growth within the company.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of direction from management. No sense of job security.
Large company still working like small company
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Conyers, GAJanuary 27, 2016
The company is too focused on LEAN and where they want to be that they are not staffing for where they are. Focus needs to be shifted back to quality and meeting the needs of their customers. There are too many meetings to be effective.

The people are nice to work with.
Cons
little work life balance
Good place to work with an abundance of different people.
Residential Tech Support/Warrant Advocate (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GANovember 23, 2015
A good place to work with supportive management. I worked the for the company for many years, excellent pay, benefits and room for advancement.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits.
Cons
Fast pace, must be willing to except change.
A well appreciated employment opportunity
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Cochran, GAOctober 30, 2015
The Acuity Brands Lighting Production Facility, located in Cochran GA, is the site of the former,"Lithonia Lighting", facility. Lithonia Lighting is now a division of Acuity Lighting Group, Inc.. For almost forty years, this production facility offered fair employment opportunities to hundreds of middle Georgia residents, over a thousand employees at peak expansion. Management and labor sustained a strong and well structured relationship.
Pros
overtime opportunities, breakfast and lunch cafeteria
Cons
Plant closing
Assembly Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Cochran, GAAugust 7, 2015
A typical day at work was assembled light fixtures.

I learned how to read light balances for the light fixtures.

Your co-workers was good

The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience.
Pros
Cons
Need a better nurse for the workers without an attitude
Great industry leading company
Sourcing Analyst - Sourcing & Procurement (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2015
The company is the industry leader and continues to evolve. In the competitive lighting world, Acuity continues to shine and innovate.
CNC operator/ material fabricator (Former Employee) –  Cochran, GAJune 10, 2015
Typical day starts with breakfast with the boss and talk about tasks of the day, work was professional and we always dis the job right, pay was decent depending on jobs.
very mismanaged company
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INApril 28, 2015
This company is misnamed , Acuity means to be clear and if there's one thing company don't have it's that. Management is the worse I have ever dealt with. Virtually it's a free for all in blame and accountability. They hire mechanical engineers but no electrical engineers. Buyer planners are left in the dark and Management sit in their offices and look how to blame failures on the buyer planners and group leaders. If group leaders have problems with operators they are told to deal with it or get disqualified. Group leaders and operators are both union employees and the group leaders cannot discipline or even tell operators what to do. Now the union is worthless. Stewards do nothing in protecting the union members unless they are friends. The union takes monies for dues and yet do nothing. Seniority don't mean anything and you are left helpless. The company went to lean manufacturing and skipped so many steps that it is failing and they are too blind to see it. The company blankets overtime and you are stuck working 12 hr days plus weekends. They don't care about families.I am looking to move on and out from this wrecked company.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No management bad processes
fun and productive place to work
Wire Spider/Lead (Former Employee) –  Irving TxMarch 23, 2015
Productive and fun workplace, good co-workers and supervisors, clean and safety place good salary and schedule works hours
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Enjoyed the job, but company careless about you.
Inside Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAMarch 1, 2015
A huge company that doesn't really care about their employees, all numbers to them. Always who you know not what you know or knowledge.
Pros
enjoyed my co-wokers
Cons
you care a number to the company ony.
I've learned a lot while I've working here.
current employee (Current Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INFebruary 27, 2015
There is always the chance to advance here. You just have to sign the bids. The problem is you have to be careful where you go because you want to watch where they are working the overtime. If you don't want to work the overtime then you want to make sure you get a department that isn't working too much overtime, but almost all departments work 10-12 hour days along with 6 days a week. Especially in the summer.
Pros
advancement
Cons
overtime - no time for family
Acuity
EHS Manager (Current Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INFebruary 27, 2015
Typical day is 8-5 with some other emergency time as required. Company is making money with future in lighting the world with LED
10 years
Manufacturing Operator (Former Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INFebruary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working at Acuity Brands Lighting. My co-workers/management were very nice. I learned a lot and a lot about the company working here. The hardest part about the job was leaving.
Pros
great pay
Cons
n/a
Working in the fabrication department, I could see what I had produced. It gave me a feeling of accomplishment and pride.
Fabrication Set-Up Operator (Former Employee) –  Cochran, GADecember 22, 2014
*Clock in.
*Go to my work area.
*Talk with the operator on the prior shift to see what is running on the machine, what is "hot", any problems with the machine etc..
* Give list of locations to the forklift driver for blanks (to be made into parts) that I'll need at some point that day.
*Check to make sure the parts are to blueprint specifications.
*Start forming parts.
*Finish order: affix paperwork to the box/pallet to be moved by the driver.
*Have driver set up parts for the next run or, if he/she is not available, find one of the "spare" lifts in our work area and take down/set up the parts myself (since everyone in the work area is a qualified lift driver).
*Tally that last part number along with quantity and order number on a log of the days work I have done.
*Create program for the next part on the CNC brake press using the blueprint as a map.
*Run one part and do a first piece inspection to determine that the part is to print. Sign off on that part so that the Q.C. inspector can see that I have done my first piece inspection and the parts I'm running are good.
*Continue in this manner until the end of the day.
*Consult with the next shift's operator if that operator if he/she comes around.
*Clock out.
Pros
comraderie among fellow workers. free lunches by a few of the supervisors.
Cons
sometimes short weeks. sometimes 7-day work weeks that lasted for months.
Harsh environment ( what have you done for me today)
Director, Sales (Current Employee) –  USDecember 5, 2014
If you are a sales professional, the daily reporting processes will overwhelm you. The information you are required to download into Salesforce is merely your succession plan for the next person. Management more interested in collecting data for their daily beatings than looking long term.You will be required to participate in endless , meaningless conference calls that someone has scheduled because it is part of their goals and KPI ( key performance indicators) and their discretionary bonus depends on checking that box. With all the extra-curricular nonsense it is impossible to achieve your goals YOY. When you combine this with the lack of industry knowledge for the majority of new hires, especially at management levels, it is a recipe for frustration and finger pointing. If you are seriously considering working for this company, do yourself a favor and seek out a current or former employee and have an off the record conversation. You will likely hear the real "Acuity Way", as they like to call it. At some point the terrible culture outweighs the initial compensation package and you simply give up.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management, high expectations with little to no support, listening to the sales agents constantly bicker and complain about acuity, lack of integrity by sr. managers, job security, training for new hires that are responsible for sales and product knowledge
blood-sucking management but no recognition towards your hard-work.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 2, 2014
Supervisors have no experience with product and are often hired for having military experience or other qualities not related to the job. There is zero official training for production line employees, yet workers are held accountable for mistakes. Management does ALL business behind closed doors, action is taken with no warning or explanation. Supervisors constantly complain about each other, intentionally misplace orders and complain to subordinates. deadlines are unrealistic. A disappointing amount of employees (some of them operate machines and forklifts) are caught drinking alcohol on the job. The company has fired people caught in the act but in my 3.5 years I have not seen a single random drug screen, the results would certainly shut down the company. there has been a number of incidents to include 3 fingers cut off by a saw, cuts from saw, nail guns shooting into body parts and electrocution. Photos are constantly taken by laborers, supervisors and management and have been used to black mail, terminate employees and construct law suits. Petitions and other propaganda are circulated by personnel with no affiliation and some with. The company recently fired the plant manager of 8 years, a few veteran buyer planners and numerous supervisors due to union intimidation. Under the new plant manager this company almost closed due to Safety violations.
Pros
positions are always moved around which will get you a diverse amount of professional experience
Cons
management
Full time home office
Tech Support Specialist/Senior Post Sales Adm (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, OhioAugust 13, 2014
During the last 8 years I worked from home full time. Great customers and co-workers. Most of the work was technical in nature.
Pros
working from home.
Cons
only lasted 8 years
Big Money - No Life
Machine Operator, Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INJune 21, 2014
I do not regret my time at Acuity. It helped me through a rough time in my life. I was able to make Group Leader within 18 months. What I regret is ever becoming a Group Leader. I could deal with the endless overtime, the lying, cussing, screaming management. What killed the job for me was being thrown into two of the busiest, most important lines as a Group Leader. With all the vets running 1 or 2 lines my boss got the bright idea to throw me into the biggest lines with very little training and then kept lying to me about how long I would be, "covering" them. He then forwarded an email I sent him asking for help to every other group leader, and gave them extra work in my name. He was the only manager I liked so you can guess what the other ones were like: rude, loud, and having all the moral fiber of a Cheerio. Unless you need a lot of money and a great savings plan (no time to spend it) I would avoid this place. I should add that the laborers are some of the best people one could ever hope to work with. I made a lot of friends there.
Pros
excellent money for the entire state of indiana
Cons
neanderthal management; overtime as a cure-all
buyer/planner (Former Employee) –  wallingfordJune 6, 2014
when this company was Sensorswitch, it was a great place to work and the old manager was a great person and a really people person. The new management needs to take classes on how to treat people and take all the higher ups with him. Worked there for about 18 years and had a good relationship with co-workers. If you like working more than 9-10 hours a day, this job is for you. As the other person said in the review, putting them all on an island would be just fine.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management