Acuity Brands Lighting

Acuity Brands Lighting Employer Reviews

Working in the fabrication department, I could see what I had produced. It gave me a feeling of accomplishment and pride.
Fabrication Set-Up Operator (Former Employee), Cochran, GADecember 22, 2014
Pros: comraderie among fellow workers. free lunches by a few of the supervisors.
Cons: sometimes short weeks. sometimes 7-day work weeks that lasted for months.
*Clock in.
*Go to my work area.
*Talk with the operator on the prior shift to see what is running on the machine, what is "hot", any problems with the machine etc..
* Give list of locations to the forklift driver for blanks (to be made into parts) that I'll need at some point that day.
*Check to make sure the parts are to blueprint specifications.
*Start – more... forming parts.
*Finish order: affix paperwork to the box/pallet to be moved by the driver.
*Have driver set up parts for the next run or, if he/she is not available, find one of the "spare" lifts in our work area and take down/set up the parts myself (since everyone in the work area is a qualified lift driver).
*Tally that last part number along with quantity and order number on a log of the days work I have done.
*Create program for the next part on the CNC brake press using the blueprint as a map.
*Run one part and do a first piece inspection to determine that the part is to print. Sign off on that part so that the Q.C. inspector can see that I have done my first piece inspection and the parts I'm running are good.
*Continue in this manner until the end of the day.
*Consult with the next shift's operator if that operator if he/she comes around.
*Clock out. – less
Harsh environment ( what have you done for me today)
Director, Sales (Current Employee), USDecember 5, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management, high expectations with little to no support, listening to the sales agents constantly bicker and complain about acuity, lack of integrity by sr. managers, job security, training for new hires that are responsible for sales and product knowledge
If you are a sales professional, the daily reporting processes will overwhelm you. The information you are required to download into Salesforce is merely your succession plan for the next person. Management more interested in collecting data for their daily beatings than looking long term.You will be required to participate in endless , meaningless – more... conference calls that someone has scheduled because it is part of their goals and KPI ( key performance indicators) and their discretionary bonus depends on checking that box. With all the extra-curricular nonsense it is impossible to achieve your goals YOY. When you combine this with the lack of industry knowledge for the majority of new hires, especially at management levels, it is a recipe for frustration and finger pointing. If you are seriously considering working for this company, do yourself a favor and seek out a current or former employee and have an off the record conversation. You will likely hear the real "Acuity Way", as they like to call it. At some point the terrible culture outweighs the initial compensation package and you simply give up. – less
blood-sucking management but no recognition towards your hard-work.
Engineer (Former Employee), Sacramento, CADecember 2, 2014
Pros: positions are always moved around which will get you a diverse amount of professional experience
Cons: management
Supervisors have no experience with product and are often hired for having military experience or other qualities not related to the job. There is zero official training for production line employees, yet workers are held accountable for mistakes. Management does ALL business behind closed doors, action is taken with no warning or explanation. Supervisors – more... constantly complain about each other, intentionally misplace orders and complain to subordinates. deadlines are unrealistic. A disappointing amount of employees (some of them operate machines and forklifts) are caught drinking alcohol on the job. The company has fired people caught in the act but in my 3.5 years I have not seen a single random drug screen, the results would certainly shut down the company. there has been a number of incidents to include 3 fingers cut off by a saw, cuts from saw, nail guns shooting into body parts and electrocution. Photos are constantly taken by laborers, supervisors and management and have been used to black mail, terminate employees and construct law suits. Petitions and other propaganda are circulated by personnel with no affiliation and some with. The company recently fired the plant manager of 8 years, a few veteran buyer planners and numerous supervisors due to union intimidation. Under the new plant manager this company almost closed due to Safety violations. – less
Full time home office
Tech Support Specialist/Senior Post Sales Adm (Former Employee), Vermilion, OhioAugust 13, 2014
Pros: working from home.
Cons: only lasted 8 years
During the last 8 years I worked from home full time. Great customers and co-workers. Most of the work was technical in nature.
Big Money - No Life
Machine Operator, Group Leader (Former Employee), Crawfordsville, INJune 21, 2014
Pros: excellent money for the entire state of indiana
Cons: neanderthal management; overtime as a cure-all
I do not regret my time at Acuity. It helped me through a rough time in my life. I was able to make Group Leader within 18 months. What I regret is ever becoming a Group Leader. I could deal with the endless overtime, the lying, cussing, screaming management. What killed the job for me was being thrown into two of the busiest, most important lines as – more... a Group Leader. With all the vets running 1 or 2 lines my boss got the bright idea to throw me into the biggest lines with very little training and then kept lying to me about how long I would be, "covering" them. He then forwarded an email I sent him asking for help to every other group leader, and gave them extra work in my name. He was the only manager I liked so you can guess what the other ones were like: rude, loud, and having all the moral fiber of a Cheerio. Unless you need a lot of money and a great savings plan (no time to spend it) I would avoid this place. I should add that the laborers are some of the best people one could ever hope to work with. I made a lot of friends there. – less
management
buyer/planner (Former Employee), wallingfordJune 6, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management
when this company was Sensorswitch, it was a great place to work and the old manager was a great person and a really people person. The new management needs to take classes on how to treat people and take all the higher ups with him. Worked there for about 18 years and had a good relationship with co-workers. If you like working more than 9-10 hours – more... a day, this job is for you. As the other person said in the review, putting them all on an island would be just fine. – less
If you are a robot with no life, work for this company
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee), Wallingford, CTMay 19, 2014
Pros: the hourly employees were very supportive
Cons: ridiculous expectations, 12-14 hour work days or longer if you don't complete your "non negotiables", managment is poorly staffed, overall morale of the company
The management of this company should be placed on an island in the middle of the ocean with nothing but a bucket with a hole in it and a broken exacto knife. Let's see how well they fare in learning how to survive.
This company hasn't a clue in how to treat people and has insane expectations of this job. Instead of making the job a two person team – more... which it should be - one buyer, one planner - they combined the position, presented the position in a way as to snowball people into thinking what the job entails and then once they've started, change the job description up and add impossible and unreasonable expectations.
In my case, I have commitments outside of my job nearly every evening but after I started, I was expected to give them up and be willing to work 12-14 hours a day not counting the time it took to get to the facility each way. This company bullied and harassed me in front of other people when I was still trying to learn everything and I was expected to understand and know everything within the first few weeks of my arrival. There was little to no training on the job - the most training I received was on their new software program that they implemented the 2nd week I was there. But knowing Oracle is small potatoes in the overall scope of the position. Perhaps if the corporate office paid more attention to the people who are actually doing the work instead of the dollars they expect to make every day (oh wait a minute, what am I thinking? Placing people over profit? That would never happen.) the company might be decent. But unless you are an octopus who can juggle, have no family and no life whatsoever outside of work, never apply to work in this position. It will be a complete waste of your time because believe me, you'll be back looking for a new job before you know it. – less
FANTASTIC product, EXTREMELY poorly managed
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee), Buyer PlannerFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: the pay is pretty solid for the area and they match your 401k.
Cons: pretty much everything else.
- Typical day at work starts at 7:00am and runs until anywhere between 5:00 and 7:30pm depending on your completing your non negotiables.
- There is ZERO training program for salary employees. ALL training on OJT and poorly managed at that. Asking for help was harped on during the interview but Focus Factory managers are unavailable to help and coworkers – more... are completely overworked/unavailable.
- The factory is located in a small town with extremely limited growth potential. While you're expected to want to move up, don't be surprised when you're fired for overachieving and your ideas are implemented after you go.
- The only people who work at this factory for more than five years live in Crawfordsville or have immediate family ties to the factory. Management culture is so poor that they can't keep imported talent. (Just look how often they're hiring Buyer/Planners and Product Engineers..)
- Everyone in the plant is related to someone else. You can't talk to anyone about interpersonal problems without it getting back to the person you're having problems with. Very annoying.
- Management Culture: Mentioned it before, but it sucks and deserves its own bullet to mention how bad it is. During the interview process, you're encouraged by the talk of coming in to help bring positive change. Once you're hired, you find out that your boss just wants you to shut up and work 10-12hr days. Make waves? Fired. Find another job and put in your two weeks notice? Fired.
- Management will side with labor over you. The union will even fight for their absolute worst hourly employees and the company will relent even when they have a strong case making them look weak and you like the a-hole.
- Production uses paper Kanban cards. When (not if.. when) these cards get lost somewhere along in production by hourly union employees who couldn't care less because you'll NEVER get them fired, it's YOUR fault.
- Hardest part of the job? Learning all of the aspects of what you're responsible for. Sure, you're the buyer planner but you're also responsible for ensuring shipping/receiving, reducing your inventory and lead times while improving your target compliance. And even when you do that? You'll probably still get fired.
- Most enjoyable part of the job? Getting off at the end of the day? The Christmas vacation days you're required to burn? Tough call. – less
Highly motivated and hardworking individual with the capacity to take on multiple assignments, and complete them in a timely and efficient manner un
Engineer-Buyer/Planner (Current Employee), Crawfordsville, INJanuary 30, 2014
A team player with strong management, communication and computer skills acquired through work experience and academic training.
4 day work week, performance driven
Sr. Value Stream Manager (Former Employee), Conyers GADecember 19, 2013
Pros: 4 day work week, modern facility
Cons: layoffs
Overall a good company to work with.
Acuity is driven by sales and of course a lean product development program. There is a lot of documentation needed to support this system.
Acuity is the only company I have ever worked for that can develop and launch a new product in 6 months.
A great learning experience
KanBan Group Leader (Former Employee), Crawfordsville, INDecember 16, 2013
Pros: knowledge
Cons: overtime
I loved working for this company for the wealth of knowledge I gained from them.
HORRIBLE Place to work
F/A (Former Employee), Edison NJNovember 1, 2013
Cons: read above
There wasn't an option for no stars so i had to give it a 1 star.i worked in the Edison office as a financial analyst consultant and it was a horrible experience. the accounting department is a small smelly disgusting hole in the wall much like a prison cell. took the incompetent IT department 2 weeks to figure out how to give me access to one accounting – more... software and another 2 weeks for the other accounting software. i literally did nothing for the month i was there. there seems to be a lot of o/t involved which i am not interested in either and the pay sucked as well! and by this new post i see the turn over rate is quite high as there had been 2 other financial analyst before me that quit within weeks. this place sucks..stay away!!
PS management is horrible as well... – less
Good place to work overtime accepted
Warehouse worker (Former Employee), austin, txSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: overtime all the time, work with any work atmosphere
Cons: got laid off
Manager allowed me to have overtime and any work schedule and environment which was great the overall atmosphere at the job place was great. Unfortunately i was laid off.
Overall Rating 5 Stars
Senior Operations Analyst (Current Employee), Conyers, GASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: flex-time
To deliver multi-tier technical support on problems ranging from account problems, VPN support to Exchange Server re-configuration within our managed corporate environments

•Maintain maximum availability to answer incoming support requests, documenting the issue fully in the ticketing system as it’s resolved. Requests are submitted through multiple – more... channels.
•Troubleshoot & make recommendations on Workstation inquiries/problems (We support Microsoft and Apple).
•Ability to work in a high energy and dynamic environment.
•To effectively communicate service outages internally & externally, to escalate tickets appropriately.
•Ownership of tickets as they arise and flow through the system. To confirm completion.
•Maintain personal ticket work queue, ensuring tickets are updated on a daily basis to achieve productivity to both client and Network Essentials.
•Strong fundamental troubleshooting skills and the ability to apply those skills to assist troubleshooting on a wide range of information systems and applications.
•Provide after-hours and weekend support on a rotational basis. – less
Unrealitic and Overworked
none (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 10, 2013
Cons: heathcare is bad and way too many work hours with few resources
This company started off good and then in the last two months has gone terribly wrong. Cutting people and stretching already overstretched resources with impossible goals.

Its nothing short of an insane asylum these days.

December 4, 2013

They have gone insane as of late. Cutting employees and asking for more work to be done than humanly possible. For what they pay you can find a better job.

Good people, poor management!!
Production (Current Employee), Crawfordsville, INJune 28, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: hours, weekend, poor management
Long hours, work every weekend as well. Pay is really good, but expect to earn that money, and never have time to spend it!!
The overtime was really decent.
Material Operator (Former Employee), Cochran, GAMay 6, 2013
Pros: getting tickets to ga. national fair.
Cons: healthcare
It was an okay place to work and management was average. The co-workers was okay and the hardest part of that job was accepting that it was closing up and taking most of them overseas. The most enjoyable part of that job was getting experience in learning how to do different things.
I love it
Assembler (Former Employee), Crawfordsville, INApril 28, 2013
Love the people I work with as well as all my bosses. I hated having to leave because I made so many new friends.
Job requirement demands 10 hours a day
Buyer/Planner (Current Employee), Crawfordsville, INApril 1, 2013
It is expected to be there at 7:00 AM and start schedule set to do the job. Base off the set time periods you can complete the non-negiotables but anything extra will require two to three hours. The non-negiotables are required to be completed on a daily basis. It is an union manufacturing facility and there is some resentment between the manufacturing – more... operators and the management. The hardest part of the job is completing the tasks that assigned to you. – less
Great learning company
NOC Operator Analysis (Former Employee), Covington, GAFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: great personel
Cons: no advancment
Great advance in technology I learn a look about different technologies and were able to advance in using these tools in many areas within the job description

1 2 3

About Acuity Brands Lighting

And a booming voice cried out, "Let there be light," and Acuity Brands replied, "Okay, sure." Acuity Brands, through its subsidiaries, manufactures – Read more