Ada County Sheriff's Office

Ada County Sheriff's Office Employer Reviews

watch your back
Jail professional staff (Former Employee), BoiseApril 30, 2013
I couldn't agree more with the first comment made about the Sheriffs office. I was employed by this office and worked in the jail as a member of the professional staff (non-commissioned). So, I have had the unfortunate "honor" of experiencing employment here. I have never been "terminated" from employment for any reason and I am without question, a hard working, reliable, educated and trustworthy individual.(I have the references and resume to prove it). However, I was terminated from employment at this place.
While working for the ACSO and on more than one occasion I was asked if I would like to fill a variety of positions other than the one I had. I was told that if I saw an opening which interested me that I should to put in for it and I would most certainly get the position. Both senior commissioned leaders as well as managers on the professional side encouraged me to apply for other openings with higher salaries and more responsibility. I was told two weeks before my termination that I was doing great work and was an asset to the organization. I wasn't sure I was interested in any of the openings I saw so I was sticking with the status quo for the time being. So, sounds like things were going well, right? Yeah, that's what I thought too. I was Way off.
Recently, I showed up to work and was told (via a letter handed to me by an officer I never spoke to before) I was being terminated. I couldn't believe it, I was a shocked, However, to add insult to injury not only did this letter fire me, it claimed I was being terminated because of things I would NEVER and have NEVER done. – more... It went on to assert my integrity and conduct were lacking and ultimately that I was a detriment to the office. Huh?? Wasn't I just offered an opportunity at more money and responsibility based on my performance and superior conduct?? Needless to say, I was and remain to be, dumbfounded. There was no heads-up, no discussion, no appeal process, no recourse, nobody to explain what in the world this was all about, nothing. Just a very awkward and confused look on my face conveyed to the person who handed me this letter.
I can tell you in no uncertain terms, if you value your personal work history, you value your untarnished performance record and you feel strongly about justice and being treated with the dignity, then you deserve to spend your valuable time as far away from employment with the Ada County sheriffs office as you can. On the other hand, if you enjoy the "cover your A--" first and don't ask any questions later, then this might be the place you are looking for. I still can't believe I took a lifestyle polygraph (which I passed of course) and underwent a rigorous background check for this
Look at it this way. They had the audacity to question my integrity, my conduct and my general character and did so without ever having the professionalism to do it to me in person. Just handed me a letter and that was it. – less
Organization full of negative politics, deception & lack of control
Support (Former Employee), Boise, IDOctober 16, 2012
Pros: good health insurance benefits compared to some private sector organizations, persi retirement participation.
Cons: lower wages compared to other local government & private sector entities, stressful work environment, lack of promotional opportunities within organization unless a commissioned deputy.
The Ada County Sheriff's Office is a decent organization if you have, or desire a career specifically in Law Enforcement and Public Safety. They do a good job of protecting the public, and running an efficient jail and other programs in the criminal justice and legal system.

However, if you do not wear a badge (non-commissioned) you are considered a 2nd class employee and very easily replaceable. Nearly half of the employees are non-commissioned. The organization as a whole does not practice the values they continually preach. They do not do the right thing both professionally and personally.

Employees are frequently told their work is appreciated, and to give feedback on improving areas of the organization, but those ideas are never implemented, rather those are disciplined and/or terminated for speaking up.

The management of several bureaus/divisions has been highly ineffective leading people. The executives of the organization are either unaware of what really goes on, or simply choose not to address and resolve issues as leaders should do.

There are good people working at this organization. I enjoyed several aspects of my job. Many are extremely stressed by their work environments and do their best to keep their job. To be successful in this organization you likely must become somebody you are not, by saying the right thing all the time & playing the political game with everyone around you.

Many of these elements are common in every organization. This organization does not treat its people well & continues to operate the same way expecting different results from it's employees. They do not value and reward your education, experience, or unique skills required for a given job role. Overall, it is not a desirable place to work or be involved with.
Work in the ADA County Sheriff;s Office
Purchasing, Warehousing, Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Boise, IDSeptember 12, 2012
Pros: everything, good health care program, good working conditions, great food for staff and inmates and very good salaries
Cons: only con that i would say at this time is the long hours but that is the nature of the beast.
The ADA County Sheriff Office and Jail is a great place to work. The staff and the management team work hard to make the sheriff office the number one agency in the state. All the departments work togather and make the agency the best of the best.
As an intern with ADA County Sheriff’s office, was engaged for their Organizational Training Management (OTM) database application.
Intern (Former Employee), Boise, IDMarch 18, 2012
Cleaned the database and performed basic system troubleshooting