Adams 12 Five Star Schools Employee Reviews

Great job and place to work
Site Aide (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJanuary 5, 2017
I love working with kids, it was such an amazing place to work. The staff was great, very nice and understanding. Working here taught me a lot!
Pros
Co-workers, students
Cons
Monthly pay
Very stressful place to work. Management is not supportive to the needs of the employees
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COOctober 25, 2016
Started out as a really nice place to work but things changed after a few years. Management is all about the bottom dollar and not the needs of students and support staff. Make management made and your days will be short lived. Beware! Benefits are great. CSEA is owned and controlled by management. Don't waste your CSEA dues because they are for themselves and not the member. They are a joke!!!!
Benefits
Cons
Management and union
Great School District
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COSeptember 1, 2016
Excellent Work Environment
Supportive Administration
Ongoing Professional Development

Mountain View Elementary School in the Adams 12 Five Star School District adopted a Cooperative Learning Community with an emphasis on student learning and safety.
Opportunities for collaboration between licensed staff was provided on a regular basis.
Diversity was celebrated through cultural activities including a deaf awareness experience.
Pros
Professional Development opportunities
Excellent School Distict
Senior Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COMarch 22, 2016
Great compensation and benefits. Good culture within which to work and grow. 15+ years, only left for a higher position.
Super amazing place, teaches good customer service skills
Cook/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westminster COOctober 19, 2015
Great place to learn basic customer service skills. Friendly environment, amazing company that actually cares.Managers are super nice, the training is very helpful and hey help you until you actually feel ready.
Pros
FREE COFFEE!!!!! Super friendly employees
Cons
Early hours
Adams 12 Has Earned its Five Stars
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJune 3, 2015
Since earning my teaching license in December 2014, Adams 12 Five Star Schools have been supporting my experiences as a substitute teacher in their schools. These experiences have helped me better understand the school cultures of the district and where I would like to work as a ful-time educator. Thank you!
Overworked, understaffed IT team
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COMay 13, 2015
Good co-workers and clients who appreciate you can go a long way toward making a job tolerable and money never hurts; but when you put in 11-12 hours a day almost every day and still can't get all the work done, something is wrong; 50 campuses, 40,000+ people and hundreds of thousands of endpoints are administered by a team of 16 people-and management isn't happy and wants everyone to work harder and do more. No matter how much you do it's never enough, and the reward for a job well done is more work. Management fires people for the thinnest of reasons; IT directors seems to think he'll be seen as "holding people accountable" if he cans good people. Don't let the money fool you: this job is not worth it.
Pros
Good co-workers, shown respect by customers
Cons
Unreasonable expectations by management
Substituting at Adams 12
Guest Teacher (Current Employee) –  Thornton, CoFebruary 2, 2015
Substituting is a difficult job, no matter where you go. Adams 12 is a good culture for substitutes as there is never a day without an offer of an assignment. The only down side is, there is no guarantee of the types of assignment. If you request no middle schools, or do not want certain subjects, if there is no one else to take the assignments, they will call you regardless of your preferences. Advancing up their pay scale is very difficult and you must essentially work every day for seven months before advancing to the next pay level and it resets every year.
Pros
Create your own schedules
Cons
No guarantee of work
Adams 12 Five star schools , A good place to work, fun
Kitchen Manager/Cook (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COOctober 9, 2014
Everyday I'm at work by 6 AM.
Breakfast in the class room by 7:15 AM.
Enter all students who took breakfast in computer.
Work on orders.
Help with lunch preparations.
Help serve students as they are coming to get lunch.
batch cook
help with clean up
end of day reports and deposit.
p-card--- all our pizza and milk was put on a p-card I had to maintain and fill out reports.
payroll (check time cards)
This is a typical day.

I learned how to manage my time to get every thing done.

I get alone well with my co-workers.

The kids is what makes working at a school so much fun. Seeing all the students faces everyday .
Pros
insurance, temp time, sick bank
Cons
no time for a break
lots of hard work but good people to share it with
Senior Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COApril 15, 2014
I worked for the district for 7 years and very much enjoyed the 1st 4. we took a pay cut and hours were cut also. I learned very much about kitchen cleanliness, food safety and regulations.

I loved working around the kids and honed my troubleshooting skills.

my co workers in the final year were having social issues with each other which I managed to avoid as much as possible.

All in all it was a good learning experience and I was fortunate enough to attend assistant manager training throughout the district and experience the way other schools di things.
Working with kids
Para (Current Employee) –  Thornton COJanuary 7, 2014
Fun working with students. Love having different activities to do every day with the different grade levels and being with the students more than the grading! :)
Cons
Not much pay for the work you do
Great District for students and Teachers
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COJuly 30, 2013
Many wonderful schools filled with wonderful teachers, students and staff.
Studen Support Services
Business Application Support Clerk - HR (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COMay 31, 2013
I was a newbie to the academic world and I discovered that Student Support Services was also a world of it own. It feels like I have had to learn a whole new language working in special education. I love it. I never knew how many children in the school district; that my own boys attended, had special needs. The Directors, Assistant Directors, Certified and Classified staff are amazing. It has been a wonderful experience learning about the program and seeing the students and families benefit from the hard work but into the programs.
Pros
Education, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Hours
Apply only if desperate
Social Studies teacher (Former Employee) –  Northglenn High SchoolApril 14, 2013
I used to work in Adams 12 until I had the opportunity to move into Boulder Valley Schools. I left a full time position in my tenure year to take a .8 position and make more money with better full time benefits now in my new job. I bring this up because in Adams, teachers are currently forced to take furlough days, their pay has been frozen, many valuable programs are being cut and most importantly teachers are getting bumped by veteran teachers, resulting in new hires getting pink slips. There was a feeling amongst the teachers and students that the community didn't value what they were doing (no tax increase for funding) and the Adams 12 leadership is expecting teachers to pick up this slack while they continue to pull 6 figure salaries and seemingly add little value to the daily work being done in the schools. Furthermore, the school board is making a concerted effort to break up the union, and Fox 31 news is investigating the district leadership from hiding money from the public. While some may laud the reduction of union power, many of the schools in southern part of the district especially are extremely challenging and stressful positions, with less parental support, higher drug, discipline, and truancy problems and more transient school populations.

So why does all of this matter? I have many good friends in Adams 12 who do some of the best teaching work in the state. And most of them would tell you they feel trapped there because they would lose tenure and pay if they looked elsewhere. Aside from the validation they get from fellow colleagues and students, they work
  more... for a school district in decline and suffering from a crisis of leadership who doesn't value their work and their profession. As a new applicant, there are better districts to work for, and the only reason you are able to view the current Adams 12 job on indeed is because another teacher left for greener pastures. Until the district leadership changes and the community starts to value their schools, I would stay far away from Adams 12.  less
Pros
excellent teachers, northern schools easier to work in.
Cons
teacher salaries frozen, furlough days, union and district in a power struggle.
Dedicated professionals collaborating to improve student achievement.
Public school teacher gr (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain, Meridian, Hillcrest & Leroy DriveNovember 1, 2012
Practicing teaching is dynamic. Each day has routines, yet each day is unique and a new opportunity for success. I learned that humans are designed to be thinkers and problem solvers. I learned that collaboration is more about thinking together than it is about making decisions. In this school district, the teachers and administration are focused on being learners who teach learners. As with any type of relationship, co-workers are unique individuals. Learning to value each other for our strengths and having mercy for our weaknesses brings humanity to the work place. The hardest part of the job was the conflict between my beliefs and the culture and social expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing relationships with each student and class while being the instrumental influence for their growth across each school year.
Pros
1.5 hours per week set aside for professional development.
Cons
too many needs and expectations without the time to do it all with dignity and quality.
Great for balancing work and raising a family.
Para Prof Educator - Significant Support Needs (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COJuly 14, 2012
Worked with children in various grades and with various levels of learning skills.
Would assist children with everyday with basic skills as well as academic activities. This includes simple tasks such as putting on coats to teaching reading or math.
Pros
same schedule as family, and summers off
Simple job
Nutrition Services, Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cherry Drive, Thornton, COMarch 14, 2012
This job is not very rewarding in any sense. The main pull is that you get many days off, including summer, christmas and spring break. The hours are very short and the compensation is not great. The work is easy to understand and accomplish.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks, short hours, drama, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Adams 12 Five Star Schools. Our community is ready to answer.