Adams County Employee Reviews

Great employees
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  COJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day of work consists of either a 12 hour shift or a 10 hour shift. I learned a lot about being a civilian police officer in a detention center environment and as a patrol Deputy. management of the department is mainly elected officials.
Pros
Consistancy in work.
poor management, lack of good leadership
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COSeptember 21, 2015
let a lot of good people go for no good reason . made the workplace unpleasant and provided little job security. very little leadership
Pros
nothing
Cons
could be fired for little or no reason
Good Assistance to underprivileged citizens .Flexible working time
Resources and Training Specialist/ Case Manager (Current Employee) –  coloradoAugust 22, 2015
Its Ok. Good starting experience for social workers, business
associate and case managers.No more comments Love it or Leave It .
Pros
Flex Time.Good salary.Good benefits
Cons
some leaders have a power trip; many times difficult personality hard to listen and to follow.
Corrupt management, Abusive environment for humans and animals alike
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COApril 12, 2015
This was truly one of the most unfortunate experiences I've ever had working somewhere. The culture there is strangely machismo for the amount of women who work there- if you show any amount of caring or compassion towards the people or animals you are considered weak. Good workers are underpaid and unappreciated. Employees that have been there a long time get away with poor workmanship, laziness, and poor treatment of fellow workers and animals. Kennel operations manager is nonexistent between sick days and vacation, training is minimal at best, basic managerial skills are utterly lacking. No one in leadership has ever taken a basic college-level management course and it is very apparent. Conflict resolution skills also nonexistent. Inappropriate relationships between management and long-term employees or amongst employees themselves. Resignations at the top flush out the wrong people. They are working hard to maintain their negative culture. Wouldn't work there again for all the money in the world or unless they fired everyone in the building and started from scratch- support a more progressive shelter for both humans and animals and submit your resume elsewhere. Waste of time, love, and energy.
Pros
helping animals in need
Cons
corrupt management, bitter employees, aversive training techniques bordering on abuse, inappropriate relationships, terrible work/life balance
Avoid working there at all costs!
Community Support Generalist I (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMarch 8, 2015
Before I took my job at Adams County Human Services, I was warned about the culture there. I should have heeded it. I once asked, 'Do you do work arounds (fixes and processes)'. I was severely reprimanded for it as they said it was not policy. I tried to explain that these fixes were approved by the State Health Care Policy and Financing Department but they kept talking over me. I never got to even finish. If it's approved by the HCPF, where Adams gets their training, then it IS policy. They said they hired me for my Medicaid experience, but they kept telling me to quit using it. This was a huge contradiction, and I couldn't even take their credibility seriously after that. Then there is the lack of communication, especially in training. They never fully explained to me how to do the app that recorded productivity. When they shadowed me, they never brought up that I didn't even punch in. I only did what I was trained to do. How can I ask a question if I don't know there is a question to ask? Oh, they explain the how, but not the when, where, what and why. Sometimes, they even got their terminology wrong and I didn't know what they were referring to. The trainer had a very low opinion of clients. I was appalled at some of the things she said. It verged on paranoia. Then the name calling started. My supervisor referred to me as a, 'car depreciated in value'. She often spoke to me in a very demeaning tone. She even called me out at a meeting once when I was explaining why I had to contact a client. She just embarrassed herself and me, coming across as a bully. Had I recorded any  more... of these things, lawyers would have had a field day. Out of 14 new people that came on board when I left, 5 were let go. Those are just the ones I know about. I am very alarmed that this pattern is being ignored, which says something about them. Adams County is $35,000 in debt and has a huge backlog of applications. They may lose their funding in some areas because of this. Aside from the culture there, I don't think it is a secure place to work.  less
Pros
benefits only
Cons
huge egos that don't want to hear what you have to say.
Good place to wok with good benefits.
Highway Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMarch 1, 2015
Over all a good place to work. Always had several different jobs going on at one time so you could move around and do different thing. With the wide verity of jobs to do, if you take the initiative and motivated your self you could learn all of them and advance up the ladder. Good place to learn to operate different equipment.
Pros
good benfits, salary and retirment .
Cons
long hours in winter months, on snow call.
Silos of Corruption, Abuse & Unprofessionalism
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton Government CenterFebruary 21, 2015
Indictments of executive staff, corruption are just a fee buz words. If you come with pride and skilz, job hunter beware.

The existing staff practices protectionism and you are a threat. The senior staff have select menon whom do their bidding.

Adams County, CO government is the armpit of bad management, corruption and have a talent for running off high skill-sets. What remains is staff either too scared, too poor to move on or they are part of the network of corruption.

Misuse of public trust and funds is the norm....
Pros
there are some really good lower level staff there
Cons
this place will mark your career negatively.
Productive and Life-changing experiences acquired.
Third Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peebles, OHFebruary 4, 2015
I was able to touch other's lives and make a difference doing something I loved. The staff was supportive and made the time even more beneficial to me.
Great Benefits
Paralegal/CSE Specialist (Current Employee) –  Human ServicesJanuary 12, 2015
Job security, Flexible Hours, Great Management. I enjoyed working for Department. Database systems need to be updated as they are slow and crash every month.
Adams County District Attorney's Office
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Brighton, COOctober 2, 2014
DO NOT apply here! Very abusive and hostile work environment. County court is micro-managed and they are awful at training. The abuse doesn't just stop here, the staff is disgusting in that they isolate new employees. Theses are nothing but people in their 40s and 50s + that have never had a childhood. The drama stands in the way of being successful here. I'm not even through training and everyday I'm wondering if it'll be my last. Save yourself the time and stress, not to mention hours of being set up for failure, and apply elsewhere. AVOID at ALL cost!
Pros
nice das
Cons
from floor to ceiling, this place is awful.
I enjoyed the clinical and supervision aspects of my job. I disliked much of the data-driven demands of the job.
See above (Former Employee) –  Executive Office in Thornton, Colorado.November 18, 2013
During the eight years I was at Community Reach Center, I was able to put in place a program for the clinical training and clinical supervision of clinical staff, for approximately 190 staff psychotherapist/clinicians. This included helping unlicensed clinicians attain clinical licensure in Colorado: LPC; LMFT; LCSW.

I felt CRC had a good benefits program and an excellent Paid Time Off program. I felt the pay scale was low for the work provided.

I had never worked in public mental health before this experience. I learned an incredible amount about the provision of public mental health services and the system in Colorado. I learned about what it takes to change large, complex systems like CRC. I learned that Medicaid capitated systems are enormously complex and require continuous change of their service providers.

I typically supervised clinicians 4 hours a day, and provided staff training events to clinical staff once a week for 3-4 hours. While a Director, I attended many Leadership and Director meetings each week and month. I was in administrative meetings approximately 3 hours a day. Our Director group had responsibility for the overall management and guidance of CRC staff.

I wrote job evaluations and related to all department heads, including psychiatrists and psychologists. I put in place a program that trained clinicians to become clinical supervisors.

I felt upper management became very numbers/data-driven in the provision of clinical services to clients, especially in the last 3 years of my time there. Many of the emotional needs of the clinical staff were disregarded.
  more... Productivity of clinical therapy hours to clients was the primary focus of upper management and this was very concerning to me in terms of the overall future of the center, especially how this translated into the provision of lowered quality of care services to clients. I was also very concerned about the system itself at CRC, a system which was in a state of perpetual rapid major change during the entire time I was there.

As an example, after spending a literal fortune on the development of our own ab initio internal electronic medical record over a period of 6 years, it was decided to abandon this program in favor of an 'out of the box' program that had to be adapted for our use. This had a very negative impact on staff morale overall and was an extremely poor use of resources in my opinion.

I got along very well with my coworkers and colleagues.

The hardest part of my job was working hard to 'raise' quality psychotherapists and help them mature, and at the same time seeing them and their work unappreciated by upper management.
Some very promising therapists decided to leave the field on this account.

The best part of my job was providing clinical supervision and training to clinical staff and watching them grow as professionals and persons. I love teaching and supervising clinicians.
Pros
wellness and benefits program
Cons
numbers, data-driven provision of mental health services to clients
Fun and hard working place.
Election Judge (Former Employee) –  Brighton, CoFebruary 10, 2012
Always there to help other employess. Always thoughtful to others and open minded to new ideas about elections.

2.5