Addus HealthCare, Inc.

Addus HealthCare, Inc. Employee Reviews

What A Joke!
HHA (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 10, 2016
First of all, you should never judge a book by it's cover...TYPICALLY. But for this place? The cover suits it well!

When I first received a call stating they wanted to interview me, I was stoked! I had been a CNA for years and wanted to do at home services. Well, I couldn't even find the place! I was almost late to my interview! It was literally a rinky dink hole underneath a main building! Talk about sketchy! At first, the manager and supervisor seemed super nice! Ha, don't they all? But that changed. IMMEDIATELY. It's union and you get cr-p pay. It only goes up 5 or 10 cents A YEAR. It's HORRIBLE hours. Most I ever had was 26 a week. But don't be fooled! Your clients cancel A LOT. So technically, I really had about 5-10 hours a week..IF THAT. It's only for 1-4 hours a day depending on the client. And if that's not bad enough, half of the time they don't even contact you to tell you a client cancelled or a client has been added. So either you show up to be turned away (yet paid for 1 hour) or you get your butt reamed by your supervisor for not showing up at all! And it's not just the TOWN you have clients in, it's the whole county. So if you drive 20-30 minutes out of your way, I guess that's "your" fault. And if your car breaks down, you only have 5 days to get it fixed before they literally drop ALL of your clients! So you're back down to basically no job at all!

I had such a horrible experience with these people that I could only handle it for a MONTH. My own paycheck was withheld from me and I tried to do everything that I could to get it. And you want to know what
  more... was said to me about my "issues" by the MANAGER of the COMPANY...

"Okay, I'm hanging up now. Your issues aren't important right now, I have to pick up my kids. Goodbye." -CLICK- !!!

Real professional, right? Like I said. If you want cr-ppy hours, cr-ppy pay, and cr-ppy management, by all means! Work for this company! Even the clients hate this place. Just look them up! Trust me, my review isn't the worst one out there!
Pros
The clients are lovely
Cons
Low pay, Very small raise a year, Terrible Management, These people have no idea what they're doing.
Low pay, no advancement, never issued certificate or ID
Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJune 29, 2015
Did not receive pay for first 2 months due to office error. Another time my paperwork was misplaced and I did not make copies- (always make copies). Was sent out twice to clients who were not expecting me and had to return home.Was never given printed Plan of Care for client ahead of time so made for awkward misunderstandings getting off on a bad foot when was different from what I was told verbally.Never given Certificate I trained for uncompensated or given ID to present to clients. Was in awkward spot where I personally lent client $40+ for needed groceries, was never reimbursed by client or company-(my mistake).
If there is a "team" working for the senior, such as social worker, Doctors, hospice,nurses, relatives etc- always left out of the loop, your input is never asked for even though you are the person who spends the most time with them and witness any change of physical condition, abilities, etc. Treated job-wise like maid or servant by the seniors and company and other professionals not as an educated and trained senior paraprofessional worker.
Wanted to go into job to help seniors maintain lifestyle. Instead felt insulted that the overall perception and treatment by the seniors as well as the company and relatives is with suspicion that you must be doing this profession because you are either a thief, below normal intelligence or simply cannot get any other kind of job, Sometimes also felt isolated and did not have a larger network of support to help deal with larger issues and needs that the seniors had but were outside of your jobs scope.

more... the pay was low, yes some of the work was unpleasant, but it was after doing all the work you could do to help their interests and being insulted and treated with suspicion on top of it was the last straw for me. Never, ever had to deal with that in any job I have ever worked for in my life!

I do have to say, yes, I do not recommend going into this line of work at all and would suggest gaining job skills for other work.
Pros
Rapport with seniors, sense of accomplishment getting tasks completed.
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, most jobs require personal care duties.
I truly enjoy working with the elderly. One day we all are going to get old if we live and I want to be cared for the way I have cared for the elderly
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2014
I work three days a week at Addus Healthcare. My clients are 80 and 92 years of age. My day begins at 10.00 a.m. I go into my clients' home and I observe my clients by looing at their movement to see if there is any change from the last time I saw them, I look at their skin for any changes, I listen when they speak to me for any slurred in the speech or if the client should repeat the same story to me over and over. I make sure the bathroom, kitchen, living room and dining room are clean. I ask my clients if they would anything to eat and if so what.

I have learned that no matter how long you have know a person you really don't know them until you have spent hours upon hours with them, learning their habits, seeing exactly what goes on behind closed doors when you are behind those closed doors with them and seeing things you really wished you had not seen!

Management looks easy because there is a person giving out orders to others, but management is difficult, especially when you have to manage yourself and you have to get everything just right and God is your only audience.

I do not know any of my co-workers at Addus Healthcare. There are three scheduled inservice meeting per year, and this is the only time that I will see any of my co-workers...and within those three inservice meetings I never see the same people.

The hardest part of the job is going into my clients' home and seeing roaches stuck to the rat traps and when I speak to my client concerning them she tells me "I bought a lot of those sticky rat traps!" I also try telling my client that she has to get rid of
  more... the problem not just capture them. I cannot sit down when I go to the clients' home because I am afraid the roaches will crawl on me and I will take them home with me!

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we talk and laugh and then sometimes we will say whoever dies first the one that is left here will have a lot of memories to look back on and laugh! I have a wonderful time talking and laughing with my clients.
Pros
the pros is just seeing my clients faces light up when i get there.
Cons
looking at my client and not knowing when my last day will be.
Horrible!!!
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Litchfield, ILDecember 29, 2013
Unclear policys and procedures. They make up their own rules and don't follow their own rules and if you don't understand or question them, they get mad. ex. they say they have seniority next time they tell you jobs that are available are a first come first served bases- meaning they will put a new hire in the job they should have given you in order to impress the new hire that addus is a good place to work for. If you don't do the jobs that you are going to lose money/time on they won't give you any new jobs or good jobs, they give them to thier favorites. They starve you out and make you take jobs that you won't make any $ on. Ripe u off ur sub miles if you do not get green sheet within 24 hrs. Cut ur travel time/mileage. Rude, cut-throat, evil. One tells one thing and another tells you something different. They call and hound you so they don't have to fill in when needed. Call all hours. You are on call 24/7 and do not get paid for it. Many hours in office, at home doing paperwork u don't get paid to do. Don't get paid for all the minutes you've spent with client, addus, paperwk. or use of your cellphone. No care plans for clients never know what situation ur walking into!! CLIENTS WON'T STAND UP FOR YOU. CLIENTS CAN QUIT U ANYTIME FOR ANY REASON ex. if you didn't do dishes the way the would or they just don't want u for whatever reason!!
Pros
a few good clients/ you like what you do
Cons
major stress, loss of money/ time, never know what hrs. times, days, situation
Love the job,but the corporation is meatgrinder
home care aide(maid) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILAugust 10, 2015
Helping seniors is great but the office people look down on us and at the 'service meetings' they are nothing but tear downs. 'If you don't work more, if you refuse to be on call 24/7 you might get fired and remember at these 'service meetings we get paid MINIMUM WAGE. You get that while some aflac pitchman is there trying to sell you some junk you don't want and can't afford because aflac paid addus to send a salesman there...Argghh..
The ceo suffers along with us though. Last year she was 17k away from making a cool million bucks for the year. Maybe this year since we lost benefits and so did the clients, she'' get extra 17k to get her over the $1 million mark....
PS and don't forget you get a whopping nickel an hour wage bonus each and every year you're there! To which a manager said to a complainer'; 'Well, its better than nothing.' Well no its not,sometimes something is less than something when it is nothing but an insult. Five cents won't put much food on my table..
Pros
Feeding your soul good karmic points
Cons
If you like being treated like a slug, a serf, then you'll love it here
Job is awesome supervisors not so much
Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 8, 2012
I love being a caregiver. I couldn't handle all the drama that came with the supervisor. It was worse then high school. They usually call you to sub (thats how you get permanent clients) you go into the house and are required to figure out, based on the info the supervisor gives you, what needs to be done. The problem is you have absolutely no on the job training. So you have no idea how to do you job on the first day. When I had permanent clients I would go to each client and do the everyday tasks and be done. When/ If you loose those clients its like pulling teeth to get more work.
I enjoyed helping people its a very humbling experience learning what other people have gone through in life, it makes you realize your life isn't as bad as you thought it was. The hardest part in the job was growing attached to the clients, they become family, and then losing them (either by death or them becoming independent). I didn't really have the opportunity to work with co-workers. If your client has multiple caregivers then you have to leave notes to the other caregivers so they are kept abreeze of everything (some caregivers don't do is.)
Pros
working with clients and learning their life story
Cons
the job is very emontionaly draining, supervisors play favorites, wanted to work 7 days a week
I enjoyed working with the disable individuals.
Homemaker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2015
Well working with this company any other homecare company such as Help At Home and Community Care, all them works around the same atmosphere, taking care of disable individuals. My typical day doing homecare was caring for the disabled. I really enjoyed it.
Each individual had different needs and wants.
Management was great. They can only do so much with elderly hard to deal with individuals. Some or most were nice, but you gone have hard to deal with people in every crop.
The hardest part of the job is keeping hours on a regular basis, because were servicing individuals in their homes that had the power if they didn't want you back they would cost you your hours.
wasn't nothing personal, it was just the way it was. I decided go to security school and be a security officer. I was very successful in this field. I was a security officer for 17 years.
The enjoyable part of this job working for the homecare companies is that, you get to meet all kinds of people and learn how they handle their illnesses.
Okay workplace
Home Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 6, 2014
Duties

Administer bedside or personal care, such as ambulation or personal hygiene assistance.Light house cleaning, running errands, washing dishes or clothes, and cooking. Accompany clients to physicians’ offices or other outings outside of home, using a motor vehicle or transportation service. Prepare meals and grocery shopping for clients.

The hardest part of the job is seeing the client in pain. The enjoyable part of the job is seeing the client smile and in good spirits. Management doesn't communicate well.

Some of the clients can be rude and very disrespectful to the caregiver. Clients want to travel to places that are farther than we are required to go and gets very angry when they are told that we do not travel 20 miles to get to a certain grocery store instead of a store closer to their home.
Pros
pays on time
Cons
clients' house are far away. low pay rate. scheduling department can be difficult, uncaring about employees, threaten to put everything in the file when you refuse to fill in.
Internship at Addus
Information Technology Intern (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILNovember 13, 2015
The summer internship at Addus was an excellent opportunity for me to gain some hands on experience in the information technology field. The reason the company operates for a cause, and the cause being noble became my motivation. It gave me an opportunity to work as an Developer/Analyst and not just a student. I acquired many new skills and developed many already existing skills including analysis and creativity in design, working in a team based environment, dealing with management and customers, and presentation and communication skills. Although these skills were developed in the work force, I have found that they could easily be applied at school. I have found that my ability to absorb and learn material has drastically improved, as well as my time management ability. This organization has a great work culture, great minds and does high quality of work. The best part about interning in Addus is that your given responsibility from day one and you get to work very close with the leadership which is a great learning experience.
Worked 9 years for Addus Healthcare
Clerical Support/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 3, 2013
I was responsible for a list of Nurses, Therapists, HHA for completing all paperwork A-Z, payroll timesheets, Typing MD orders, Tracking MD signatures, phone calls, Entering OASIS (31 pg) packets that were directly downloaded to the State. Typing 4-6 page Plan of Treatments, which listed all patient Orders & Goals, and Medications. Copying, scanning, Preparing needed information for patient visits. Shared work with 3 other Clerical personnel and we often helped one another if one was more heavily burdened than the others. Had the same Administrator for years prior to Addus under the Soleus name and she was an exceptional boss, inteligent and knew the Home Health business well. We were under strict Medicare guidelines. Our office was one of the highest in volume and income from across the U.S.
Pros
i liked the variety offered rather than just one task.
Cons
often worked overtime and weekends.
working with seniors
Homecare Aide (Former Employee) –  South Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2014
this job was ok. basically i worked for a close family friend who was in her eighties and bed bound. i got paid by the company to do everything for her. housekeeping, running errands, helping her in and out of her wheelchair. i also kept tabs on her general health and provided the company with weekly evaluations. the best part of the job was developing a rapport with her.

the management at the company, however, wasn't great. at random times, all home care workers were strong-armed into attending these mandatory "in-service" sessions that were hours long, and just a regurgitation of what we were told in the job orientation, which was three sessions of 8am - 5pm. what we learned at orientation could've been condensed into one day, but was for some reason stretched into three unpaid days.

i wasn't always sure who my supervisors were. it seemed impossible sometimes to get people on the phone.
Great experience working and dealing with people who need you
Home Health Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMMay 21, 2013
I enjoyed working at Addus Healthcare it was my first real job, I worked with many different clients on a daily basis doing many different tasks such as cleaning, cooking, driving, paper filing, money handling, emotional support, and occasional geriatrics. I did not interact with my co-workers very much just because we would all be in and out of the office only once a week, but when we'd see each other in the office we'd have little conversations. I was very fortunate to have the supervisors and managers that I did they were very kind and guided me whenever I needed them. What I enjoyed most about working at Addus was the people I got to meet and the experience I got from it.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
a lot of driving
N/a
Veterans caregiver (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 5, 2015
working at Addus Healthcare has had it's ups and downs for me. I enjoy the clients i work for, it's just that Addus do not communicate with their empolyee's like they should. And there is never a person to fill in when needed due to sickness or emergencies for the clients when an employee needs to handle any life situations. working with the older people the can get sick very easy and can cause other complications for them if they catch a cold/virus. Needing any back up dont count on it to much. then not having enough clients for us. I only have one at this time. I have 6years experience dealing with in-home care. I had a better company i worked for in Sacramento, which was Maxim Healthcare.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
This was a very unique job to have I enjoyed working daily with the elderly
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMay 20, 2013
Working with the elderly has helped me realize life is all what you make of it. You can spend your whole life wasting it away or make something out of yourself and when that time comes for retirement you can look back and be proud of what you have done throughout your lifetime. I didnt have co-workers because it was one on one work with single clients at a time, so it was pleasant to work with them. At times though like every other job it did have its ups and downs.
Pros
paid gas milage, no boss over your back daily, benefits
Cons
bi-weekly pay, rare raises, poor management in the office
It a challenging work environment
Manager/Supervisor/Lead (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILNovember 13, 2015
Providing quality care to a satisfied client while in their home and being safe on the job. I learned that you can not satisfy everyone but you can always accommodate by an agreement. Management was easy for me because of knowing how to prioritizing task, planning, scheduling, organizing and the delegation of a function. The hardest was death of a client but in reverse of that making sure the family is 100% satisfied with the services and would highly recommend the company to a stranger. "Knowing I gave my best"
Pros
Lunch with co-worker was always a plus
Cons
Out of town auditing late hours during bad snow days, Staff Personal family problems.
Caring for my Clients
Home Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
Throughout my past year with Addus Healthcare the experience has been wonderful. Being a Home Care Aide allows me to meet a lot of wonderful people. Not one work day is ever really the same which is awesome. Most of my time is really spent with my clients so my co-workers are only really seen when I go into the office or to a meeting. The hardest part of the job is when its time to move on due to circumstances that unfortunately we sometimes have no control of or you are assigned to someone else, Most of the time you have grown to have a good relationship with them. What I value most about this job is that I have the opportunity to help someone.
Pros
Great work enviornment, Self Supervision, Variety
Passion about Homecare
Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day consist of me to making sure my clients are safe and can get to doctor or the grocery store. What I have learned is that Elderly depend on home makers to assist them with there daily living needs, Management often implemented new projects that needed training for the home care aides. My co workers provided assistance and support when needed. The hardest part of my job is not being able to meet the needs of the elderly. the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the clients smile when I visited, and always wanting me to come back, or stay longer!!
Pros
seeing the seniors happy
Cons
home care aide not showing up for an assignment
Flexible scheduling
Home Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILOctober 8, 2015
Addus is a good place to work if you need some flexibility in scheduling. Once you have established clients you can change the hours to fit the clients needs as well as your own. It is difficult to keep consistent hours as clients are often sick and go into the hospital or to rehab. It is also difficult at times to coordinate several different clients needs because sometimes they have appointments. Difficult to be in homes of smoking clients. Enjoy helping keep disabled and elderly clients at home instead of them having to go to a nursing home. It is hard once you really get to know clients to watch them decline in health.
Pros
flexible schedule, limited health benefits at part-time
Cons
very small raises, union, loose hours when clients are sick
Productive job that allowed me to help people stay in their homes and make my schedule in order to continue my education.
Homemaker (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILApril 24, 2015
I assisted clients with activities of daily living in their home when necessary; I also did light housekeeping and provided transportation to and from doctor appointments and/ or the grocery store. I learned a lot from each resident I worked for, including the importance of documentation and reporting changes in the client's health status.I reported directly to my supervisor, and mainly worked by myself. The hardest part of my job was having a client die; the most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the client and having them treat me as part of their family.
Pros
I was able to make my own schedule
Cons
I needed a higher pay rate
Caring Company That is Still Making Improvements
Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2015
The pay is respectable for being a home care worker. A typical day is following a customized plan of care for your client(s). Most workers do a great job providing care for their clients, and everyone gets along for the most part. The unpleasant aspect of working with Addus, was lack of communication between Supervisors and Workers. They could do a much better job of being available when workers need them. Also, Addus would do well to use more updated technology and methods to make things simpler for clients and home care workers. Besides that, they are a fairly good place to work for.
Pros
fairly good starting pay, great workers who care about their clients
Cons
company is not up to date in all aspects