Adler Planetarium

Adler Planetarium Employer Reviews

Summer App Building
Interactive Media Summer Teen Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2013
Pros: awesome exhibits to visit during brakes, including the shows!
Cons: seagulls stalk you if you eat outside during lunch.
I definitely enjoyed my time at the Adler as an Interactive Media Intern. I helped to create a mobile tour app that was used to lead people around the planetarium. I also enjoyed working in one of the classrooms, even though the teens were essentially another exhibit to the museum goers, who would stop and watch us work.
fun
Museum Service Staff (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 17, 2013
Working at the Adler is fun. You get to talk to people from around the world that come visit us. They work great around your school schedule and are very understanding.
Not fun.
Museum Service Staff (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 4, 2013
Pros: none.
Cons: everything.
A typical day at work is not fun, it's very hassling and the co-workers are not right.
Educational and fun
Activity Cart Coordinator & Exploration Leader (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 9, 2013
Pros: free food, interesting place, nice people
Cons: no pay
I really enjoyed volunteering for Adler Planetarium. The children's endless curiosity made it less of a struggle to constantly repeat oneself. The children were always interested so the job was always interesting.
I would often set up a display with a partner and then explain the apparatus before handing out an activity that would allow the children – more... to enforce what they had learned. The hardest part about the job was if children were uninterested. – less
Cool place to work
Interaction Designer (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 3, 2013
Space Visualization Lab has a lot of cool, new interactions here.
My first job.
Museun Service Staff (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2013
Working at the adler Planetarium was my first job, It was difficult in the beginning, but I got a hang of it.
Adler Planetarium
Museum Services Staff (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: the jobsite is not far from home
Cons: no chance of advancement to use jobskills previously employed in this position.
Adler Planetarium is a place where people from all over the world come to learn more about their planet and the regions of space. It is a good place because many young people find employment, often for the first time. A typical day at work is usually greeting visitors with a smile and answering questions that they may have or directing them to the appropriate – more... persons to give them the information. I learned that space exploration is necessary to better understand our world and not a waste of money. Management at Adler trains employees well and they are always available through radio contact if a situation arises that should be handled immediately
My co-workers are a diverse group of people and we all interact well because the priority is the customer. Please the customer and the job is pretty simple to perform. The hardest part of my job is standing or walking for up to six hours. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing people happy and enjoying the museum and helping them to not wander around lost in that huge place. – less
A fascinating place to meet interesting people and expand my knowledge.
Store Supervisor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2012
Pros: good benefits. being in a place dedicated to my favorite area of study.
Cons: increasing pressure and workload. an increasing sub-culture of hostility towards retail workers.
I arrived 30 minutes before opening and got the store ready to do business. I would allocate various tasks with an eye to special skills my employees had. On Monday mornings I was responsible for weekly reports and bank deposits. The day progressed much like that of a typical small store, with periodic spikes in customers. (At times so extreme that – more... the guards had to restrict the inflow.)
I learned a great deal there, not just about business management, but the subject matter of the establishment, i.e. astronomy and related fields. I learned all aspects of marine navigation from renowned mariners, optical system construction from celebrated craftsmen, and even quantum mechanics from a Nobel Prize laureate.
Co-workers in the early days were most often hired from the Univ. of Chicago's student body, later on from more diverse sources. Generally co-workers were quite educated.
The hardest part of the job came when the manager left and I was given all his duties with just a small pay raise. (This did not include being given the title of manager, either.) Then I was assigned an increasing number of duties formerly done by other departments. Year by year, the work load increased at a far greater rate than my salary.
There were wonderful things about working there, particularly for one whose prime love in life was astronomy: meeting famous people in the field, learning from some of the foremost authorities, having fun at members' events. – less
Enjoyable
Teen Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2012
I worked with a great group of other teen interns. I was part of the people that presented activity carts to visitors at the museum. The interaction with visitors was awesome and I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. This job also allowed me to see Chicago in a different way.

About Adler Planetarium

The Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum was founded in 1930 as the first planetarium in the Western Hemisphere, reaching – Read more