Advance Auto Parts Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,059 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work
Material Handler/Driver (Former Employee) –  Andersonville, TNDecember 2, 2015
I worked at the Distribution Facility in Andersonville, Tn and loved it. Although it was hard to advance within the company it was still a great place to work with amazing people
Pros
Fun atmosphere, good management
Cons
not much room for advancement
A challenging but rewarding environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Jasper, INJanuary 3, 2016
Advance Auto Parts is can be enjoyable with the right atmosphere. My personal experience would be challenging but rewarding. every day brings a new challenge, and you do not always beat those challenges, but when you do it is very rewarding. Managing the store i met a lot of interesting people. team members, customers, and upper management. overall the good out weighs the bad.
Pros
The customers. you form relationships with regular customers, and you always will remember them, and they you
Cons
travel time, excess hours of up to 80/week
This is a good company to work for.
IT Administrative Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 8, 2016
Advance Auto Parts is a typical Corporate America company. There have been a lot of changes over the past several years, some good, some not so good. Most of the people are really nice and good to work with.
Pros
Very casual dress code, you can wear jeans!
Cons
Healthcare benefits are very expensive
generally stressful place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKFebruary 6, 2016
Job itself not that hard.. but hours not the best.. rotating hours for managers makes it hard for anything outside work.. needs more tradition hours for managers..

Tends to hire part time employees at min wage and expects managers to get things done.. when the PT do not care enough to work there in the first place..

Solution.. hire more full time people with possibilities in advancement.
Pros
discounts
Cons
hours
Most unprofessional and disorganized store I have ever worked
driver (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCDecember 4, 2015
The commercial parts "pro" uses a personal cell phone throughout the day for personal calls on company time. Drivers are belittled and a cover your butt attitude and the numbers is all mid level management cares about. They provide practically no training and write up and fire employees at leisure to cover there own shortcomings. I hope Advance crashes and burns. Its the very worst place to work in the auto parts industry, period. There are countless returns for cheap defective parts daily. The list goes on.
Pros
Getting away from the store to drive.
Cons
too many to list ... dont work at this place. Go to Auto Zone, anywhere.
Depressing
parts counter / shelf stocker (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJune 21, 2016
Its extremely simple work for the most part, replacing batteries, selling parts, and suggesting products.

However, the customers that come into the store absolutely make it depressing. You do get your average person that's coming in for a few things, smiles and gets what they need.

While its normal to get distraught customers at any job, a lot of the home mechanics that came in were beyond disrespectful. Some would grab and throw items because they were angry, just like little children. Most would simply harass and berate you, even if you weren't the person that sold them the incorrect product.

Unfortunately, as I was harassed, management looked the other way. I was powerless to assist angry customers 99% of the the time and just simply had to take the abuse day to day.
A great working environment that felt a lot like family
Operations Support Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 30, 2015
I came to Advance Auto Parts in the year of 2013. I learned a lot and took on new challenges on the road to being an employee there. Working for this company allowed me to accommodate with my schedule outside of work, especially for school. Through out my career with Advance Auto Parts, I was able to train and meet new employees where I also learned for myself through other people. I can definitely say that working for the Operations Support department through Advance Auto Parts felt more like family to me.
Pros
Good 1 on 1 training, Cafe available, flexible working schedules
Cons
Working holidays
A great place to work, peolple and management are great
parts driver (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVDecember 1, 2015
Worked there for 4 years, and was treated very good , got raises and got treated very well. They had cookouts for their customers and employees, a great place to work
Pros
Like to work there again
Cons
no cons
Good Work Environment, Always Something To Work On
Sales Associate/Driver (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, SCApril 22, 2016
I've only been at Advance Auto Parts for a little over 3 months but I love it. It's a nice work environment and a place with great teamwork. Our GM is always helping us to do better with the work we do and lets us know where we need to improve. I like having a sales goal each day to work towards and enjoy being a driver now as well. I've learned about vehicles work and enjoy the training program that they have to help me learn more about vehicles whenever I do more training. The hardest part of my job, however, is the when I have a lack in knowledge and am trying to help a customer find the right part that he/she needs but all of my fellow employees and managers help me whenever I get stuck on something.
Pros
Good team, good management and the occasional free lunch
Cons
Expensive health care, low salary
Retailer with inferior to-date parts.
Commercial Parts Pro (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, GAApril 22, 2016
It is typical for what you expect for any retail job - inevitably you will hear the same questions asked over and over again, so repetition is something of a necessity to tolerate.

The biggest issue with company as I am writing this is the lack of upper managerial responsibility and leadership - at the end of the day it seems my general manager and above are never to be found at times when they should be visible and present to help alleviate the tasks that cannot be performed when your attention is required for the customer's needs.
Pros
Become very familiar with how the retail industry works on a daily basis
Cons
Lunch is suggested but never seems to happen, being the only reliable person becomes a burden on the job your assigned, Commercial accounts are primarily pre-Madonnas
productive work place
sales (Current Employee) –  kansas city MOOctober 19, 2015
There is no promotions at advance auto parts into the management
positions

They do not give yearly raises or reviews on your work
I highly enjoyed working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 25, 2016
Working here was a great pleasure, and I was able to work in a field I am very passionate about. Learning something new every day at work was very appealing to me, and I was also able to build my customer service skills.
Pros
Learning, Customer Service
Cons
Management, Ability To Move Forward
Terrible experience
Auto Parts Pro / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 10, 2016
This place was awesome for about a month then it went totally downhill. I understand that retail jobs have different hours based on need, but this was out of hand. Not only did they require you to work set schedules with no room for change regardless of your personal life, there was absolulty no help from upper management. I requested time off, it was approved, then the day before it was revoked so that my manager could have it off. No district and regional manager cared that this occured. I was basically at the whim of my manager. Schedule hours were changed without notice. Procedures were violated constantly to appease the managers mood that day. It was a complete joke.
Management Under Construction
Retail Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXAugust 24, 2015
The job was not difficult and the employees were well chosen. Overall, it was a productive place to work. However, the first general manager that hired me was rude to employees and customers. When she was assigned to a new store, she took over half of our employees with her and did not hire anyone else. We were severely under staffed and many of us went weeks or months without lunches or days off. The company did not give us a new general manager for several months, which left only regular employees running the store. Once a new general manager arrived, it was someone that did not know anything about the job and almost lost us commercial business. It still took the company until two months later to give us new employees. The business began to pick up and get better before I left to focus on school.
Pros
Company provided food when we could not take lunch, fun work environment, and other employees were willing to help and teach.
Cons
Terrible general managers, left without a supervisor or general manager, company does not comply with promised raises.
Pay
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTDecember 23, 2015
I enjoyed my job very much and was dedicated, was not ok with the hours giving and the lack of training an neglected pay raise.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
pay raise neglect
Fun and steady place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 7, 2016
This is a fun place to work, with excellent opportunities to move up to management. Most enjoyable part is working with the managers, my colleagues, and learning from each of them. I love the advancement potential, but they do need to pay their employees more, and ensure that they have the proper hours to keep employees satisfied. Overall, great place to work, especially if you want to move up fast, and have a career, not just a job. I also enjoy how the manager do not make their employees feel like they are not appreciated.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, advancement opportunites, great team playing environmern, exellent learning skills
Cons
Not being trained properly in customer retail, hours, and pay
I clean, answer the phones, help customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kinston, NCApril 7, 2016
A typical day would be answering phones, helping customers in store, cleaning shelves, dusting products, front facing products, changing windshield wipers, and batteries. One co-worker does whatever they like without facing any repercussions. Which is very nerve-racking because I have been left alone in the store with a customer and phones ringing off the hook. That would be the hardest part of the day if I am ever left alone in the store. Or when co-workers let their personal problems effect their attitude at work. The most enjoyable part would be when everyone does their job and we do work as a team. It makes things flow smoother and that makes happy returning customers.
Pros
having a actual break
Cons
never going to lunch on time, Attitudes of co-worker
great company
Commercial Parts Pro./General Manager (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILNovember 17, 2015
Sales and development training.
Sales and territory growth.
Management was amazing.
they staff was very trainable and coach able
the best part of working there is going to work everyday
Pros
lots of advancement
Cons
change in uppermangement
Job has many challenges and is very task oriented
Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 12, 2015
Advance Auto Parts is going through growing pains. Right now the company is working to be one team. Management is struggling between retail and wholesale business. In two years this maybe a great company to work for, but right now there is a lot of confusion and direction the company is struggling with. Inventory management, product line change overs and fair compensation.
Cons
Very time consuming job 10-12 hour per day
Productive and enjoyable work place
Retail Parts Pro (Current Employee) –  Bremen, GAFebruary 16, 2016
A typical work day consists of helping customers fix there vehicles. I learn something new everyday that I work from my co-workers. We have fun on a daily basis even though there are some hectic times. I am apart of the management team and I feel that we are a good team.