Advanced Testing Laboratory Employee Reviews

Terrible culture and advancement
Safety and Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 6, 2017
A typical day involved communicating/meeting with client and outlining work. From there, work was disseminated to teams and plans developed.
The senior management was never present and did not communicate. They often reacted after the fact and did not stay in communication with clients. The regular managers were often left without information and no authority to talk to clients.
It is the fellow employees that make it bearable. They work well together and are tight-knit groups. The lack of communication and follow-up at higher levels was the hardest part of the job. Then they would often blame others for their mistakes. There was little to no respect for the associates delivering work.
Good for learning, bad for advancement
Biotechnical Analyst, Analytical (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHMay 29, 2017
While working here at a contract site I was able to really learn and enhance a lot of skills, however, there was never a chance for advancement that didn't involve becoming intermediate management.
Pros
Good communication about expectations.
Cons
Poor pay and benefits.
40 hr work week, stable.
Biotech Analyst (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 15, 2017
If you're looking for a job with okay pay and no overtime, it fits the bill. Punch the clock, do the task, and leave.
If you want competent management, advancement opportunities, or benefits, you won't find it here.
Basically, everyone there has the mentality that it's just where they are until they find somewhere better.
dont work here
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHApril 4, 2017
very low pay, it is a good stepping stone, but leave as soon as you can. there is no job security, you can lose your job if some one doesn't like you at client site without any good reason.
Meh.
CT Imaging and Mechanical Test Tech (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day at work is wishing that it was Friday afternoon.
What I learned is that a work place is what you make of it.
Its a job, something to add to your work history.
Company with limited potential. Good place for people to start their careers
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHDecember 9, 2016
The business is a constant revolving door due to poor leadership from the CEO on down. Good people come and then leave. Those who cant get jobs elsewhere stay. If you apply for a management role, beware.
On site hiring manager
On site hiring manager (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHOctober 31, 2016
Great place to get experience, past experience there is not a lot or room for advancement. maybe a lateral transition but this usually wont happen.
Management will get back to you if keep on asking them about things, eventually. They don't have a lot of follow through and no one makes the decisions quickly.
There is a really large lack in communication between employees and management, Hr, and accounting.
Then benefits are pretty mediocre and 401k match is a joke.
**get your own IRA set up and forget this 401k
generally you will end up in a large company and not have much of any contact with your GM or manager.
The people that you work with a generally really nice and will teach you hands on.
flexible hours and 2 weeks of PTO to start with.
CEO has a good plan of action and wants to expand, currently lack the ability to follow though.
Hope they can turn it around sometime
Pros
flexible hrs, Pto, You will get valuble experience and take it with you to the next job
Cons
Pay low, no advancement, lack of communication with management, mediocre benifits
Great for Experience, Bad for Advancement
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHSeptember 1, 2016
I must say that I am pleased that my first position outside of college was with Advanced Testing Laboratories (ATL). It is a really good company that does a lot of interesting work but there are serious downsides and pitfalls to their business model. The primary work of ATL is contracting with larger firms to provide a series of laboratory testing (like MedPace or Lab Corp) but where they really excel is in their newest field of what they call "Insourcing".

The basic idea is that they have a contract with a large corporation to provide laboratory or research technicians. The method is they provide people who are trained to do the job on Day one and preform any number of duties for the client. In my case I was brought on to work as a researcher for upstream testing methods. In particular it was real time PCR method development but in the course of working 5 years for the company I changed positions many times based on the need for the work.

The problem is that all the moves were lateral moves. ATL does not hire from within and when an employment position was temporary halted I was reassigned to a simpler Microbiology testing position. While I was given some assurance that I could return to my previous position when the business allowed for it I found to my dismay that instead of reassigning me they hired someone else to fill the position when it again became available. From this and many other experiences I have had I can say that ATL's policy is hire as many people as they can because they have terrible retention rates.

The good aspect about this business model is
  more... that people starting out their careers can get a well paying job with great benefits and gain a great deal of experience. There are many opportunities for personal growth and development but this is one of the reasons why their employee retention rates are so poor. The company does not hire from within and people gain work experience that does not result in compensation. ATL has a truly horrible pay scale that starts out above average but does not advance far after that. Unless you take on a managerial position the max you can gain is 3.5% salary per year but again that is the max. In practice due to budget constraints even the best employees do not get more than 2.5% on their yearly review.

I add to this my mixed feelings about the management at ATL. While the on-site managers are great and work well with the individual contractors the actual company management is a joke. They have no idea of the day to day operations and take no interest in the problems or issues of the workers. Likewise the HR department is a mess as they have even worse retention rates than the scientific contractors. In the 5 years of my employment there have been four changes in the representative to who I am supposed to report. Major issues have arisen that were not dealt with and I have personally witnessed HR representatives misrepresent company policy to other coworkers regarding employee compensation. Whether this was due to simple ignorance of what policy ended up being enforced or outright deception I do not know but a friend and co-worker was promised 2 weeks of disability pay and ended up receiving none.

In short I would say ATL is a great company to start your career but I would not suggest you plan on making it a lifelong commitment. Their business model seems to be hire as many workers out of college and not offer them career advancement. I would sincerely say that ATL is a great company for starting your career in the sciences but start applying for better jobs as soon as you have gained adequate work experience.
Pros
Great on the Job training and work expirence
Cons
No advancment oppurtunities, Does not promote from within the Company
Contract work with no overtime
Formulations Chemist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 2, 2016
40 hour work week. Other contractors are good people to work with. They will help you become better at your job duties. Managers for ATL are pretty nice and will work with you to make sure your needs are met.
Pros
Cross training opportunities
Cons
Salary
Laid back , enjoyable place to work
Calibration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 2, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at Advanced Testing Laboratory. There has been plenty of opportunity to learn new skill sets. The team that we have in place is pretty cohesive and the days go by easily. The environment is very laid back. You come in and get started on the days requests and work until your get you hours in.
Pros
Flexible schedule, paid holidays, fair amount of PTO
Cons
Health benefits could be better
People are nice
Disc Operations Coordinator (At Lilly Corp Hqtrs) (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46285April 21, 2016
Learned a lot in the Pharma world. Job has no pressure and very relaxed atmosphere. My co-workers are very nice and I have a nice report with them.
Good Basic Experience
Chemistry Technician (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHJanuary 31, 2016
ATL is a good stepping-stone company. Employees often have good training opportunities, depending on their placement.
However, nearly all of its employees are unhappy with their compensation. As a result the turn-over is very high.
Pros
Opportunities to work with Fortune-500 companies
Cons
Low compensation; no advancement opportunities
Good experience
Project Administrator, Eli Lilly LRL (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 14, 2016
Working here has allowed me to gain valuable experience in an office setting, working with a diverse group of individuals, and becoming an excellent office administrator.
Tactful and diligent client support in the science industry
Safety Data Analyst in Botanicals (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHAugust 5, 2015
I gained a myriad of onsite skills that have supplemented by career path ten fold. I was given incredible trust and freedom that I took with great responsibility and pride. I participated in multiple global projects and was allowed to eventually lead and train support in pursuit of seeing deadlines met. I learned to draft comprehensive progress reports for projects that consist of year long progresses. Whilst capable of pursuing additional projects while not losing sight of projects that are in the intermedium stages.
A Job with No Opportunity to Make it a Career
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 5, 2015
Pay is terrible. Employees feel under appreciated. Managers give you the run-around on just about everything. You are 100% replaceable and they let you know it.
Pros
Great facility. Flex schedule. Casual attire.
Cons
Pay. Pay. Pay. Management. Pay.
Great crew... friendly people
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 2, 2015
As a company I can say it's a great starting point.Learned a lot of traits and skills. Depending who you work for depends on how much you will like it. Upper management only looks out for themselves. don't bother them with your problems!
Pros
Great people in the lab with you
Cons
Way too much disconnect from upper management
Unbreakable Glass Ceiling
Microbiology Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHMarch 30, 2015
In the last year, we've lost about eight full-time analysts and replaced them with two part-time analysts. It's a busy time of the year for lab work and we are severely understaffed. Management either can't notice, doesn't care, or can't actively do anything about it. I started as a part-time employee making $12/hour and was brought on full-time at $13/hour. I had to quit my other part-time serving job to work full-time and now I can barely make ends meet, much less save for anything important later on. Everything you do must be dated and initialed so that if something goes wrong, you can be blamed for it if necessary. Managers are always making you "prove your worth" in one way or another. No one enjoys their job after about four months and can't leave for years because they get sucked into the vortex that is ATL.
Pros
Free coffee, work is not particularly difficult, moderately flexible schedules
Cons
Benefits are expensive, rotating weekend shifts, labs are currently understaffed.
It's a nice place to work for.
Sample Administration Associate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 9, 2014
The morning is usually the busiest time and then around lunch time (12-2) it gets pretty slow, but hen it will pick up a little bit after that. I learned a little bit on excel. The coworkers are nice and friendly. The hardest part of the job is trying to catch any discrepancies between submittals and samples and also any discrepancies on incoming reports.
Atl
Human Safety R&D Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 8, 2014
Solid company. Great exposure. Great place to start a career.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Advancement
Great place to begin your scientific career. PnG site it the best place to work.
Biotechnical Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 8, 2014
People were great just bring a healthy work ethic! Most difficult part of the job is finding places for growth but opportunity is available somewhere.