Advocate Health

Advocate Health Employer Reviews

I enjoyed helping patient's with their healthcare needs.
Call Center Triage Nurse (Former Employee), Chicago,IllinoisOctober 15, 2014
Pros: educational opportunities
Cons: short lunch breaks
A typical day at work included answering incoming calls from patients requesting healthcare advice. I also received calls from out of area hospitals requesting to transfer patient's to appropriate in network hospitals .We also received critical lab values and reported them to appropriate physicians.

My co-workers were great to work with. We could count – more... on each other to assist when necessary.

The hardest part of my job was the travel to and from work .

The most enjoyable part of my job was when Patient's were so relieved after talking out their concerns and coming up with a plan of care. – less
great salary but terrible management
case manager (Former Employee), Bloomington IllinoisAugust 23, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: terrible management
I enjoyed the salary and my actual job duties, but I have never dealt with more incompetent and crooked management.
Productive workplace where teamwork is encouraged
Coding Specialist II (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2014
There isn't a such thing as a typical day. You can come in with an agenda and it all goes out the window depending on what you are faced with when you walk in the door. Either your email is full of request for some sort of help, major or minor issues, or the phone is ringing with callers that need help with one thing or another. No matter what the presenting – more... circumstance is, I can always depend on my peers to coach me through the easiest and the difficult tasks.

I love that I can never control the way my day will turn out. It gives me the opportunity of never getting bored of doing the same thing over and over again. – less
community hospital setting, provides 24 hour pharmacy services
STAFF (Current Employee), Barrington, ILJuly 24, 2014
Cons: all pharmacists must cover overnights when needed
A small, but busy community hospital. Hospital has inpatient services, no outpatient pharmacy. Pharmacists have staffing and clinical duties.
INSANITY.
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee), Libertyville, ILMarch 27, 2014
Pros: free ham every year around thanksgiving and free shirts every once in a while.
Cons: no breaks, short staffed, horrible benefits for part time, under appreciated, wearing your body out.
I started working at Advocate about 2 and a half years ago, and initially it started off fairly well. However, within a few months, I began to see what this hospital was all about. About 7 of the co workers I became friends with, quit within months of hire. As part of a company that believes in the happiness of others, they clearly do not care about – more... the happiness of their PCT's.

Number one; No breaks. You are entitled to a 30 minute lunch break, and two 15 minute breaks. However, you will not even get to sit down for 10 minutes! You have to keep your phone on you (a phone that every call light goes to) an you will keep having to answer the call lights consistently. Bathroom lights, getting a patient water, etc. It's irritating that you can't even use the bathroom without someone calling to interrupt you.

Number two; Short Staffed. No matter what floor you are on, you are guaranteed to be short staffed. What this means; more patients that you can hardly take care of. Patients wouldn't be so bad if the other faculty helped out. See point 3 for more detail.

Number three; Under appreciated. As a PCT (certified nursing assistant), you are the most worked, most stressed, and most used. The nurses make statements saying, "It's just the tech", insinuating that we are insignificant. We are expected to do everything right then and there, and get scrutinized if we don't do it right away. I have seen a variety of my co workers hurt their backs because of all of the heavy lifting! Sure, you get sent home for a day, but are expected to return immediately for more action.
Number three Part B; You are treated poorly by patients as well. You can get hit, scratched, punched, etc by ETOH, AMS patients, etc.

I was initially enrolled in the nursing program at my local college before starting at this hospital. However, after working here, I decided to pursue something outside of the healthcare field. A lot of the Registered Nurses here regret even getting into the field. If it's not too late for you, always have a back up plan.

WARNINGS:

Job is not for you if you can't handily bodily fluids spontaneously getting on you.

If you're not comfortable with number one, then number two (bowel movements) will not work. You see a lot of bowel movements in this line of work. But seeing it, and getting it on you is a different warning.

Your body will hurt. Everyday after a shift. Time to go get massages.

Notes*

Working here you have some amazing team work within your fellow PCT's.

Not all nurses hate their jobs. Only about 85%. And some nurses (about 45% are willing to help you turn/change a patient).

If you believe nursing is still right for you, please never forget about the PCT's.

Full time benefits are great. – less
Horrible Management
Facilities (Former Employee), Park RidgeFebruary 4, 2014
Cons: years of service means nothing
VP of HR at LGH and corporate upper managment do not care about emplyees. They will tell you your jobs are safe but then hire consultants to do the dirty work. Don't believe they are there to make improvements or to benchmark services. Advocate does not care about the employee who dedicates years of service they CARE ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE and their – more... own jobs! Needless to say the consultants they hired to replace long timers are no longer employed there either. – less
Stay Away! They will backstab you
Manager (Former Employee), Rolling MeadowsJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: salary, benefits
Cons: president and hr lies; culture is type a behind the scenes
APP is a very political place to work. HR and management do not practice the same culture of excellence expected of associates. VPs are all covering their own butt.They will not be transparent about layoffs or streamlining of departments. In fact HR, the President, and COO will lie during town hall meetings about it and then one day you are told you – more... have to attend a meeting for some thing else but you will really be told your being let go. To be liked by the execs you need to talk a lot (even if you are NOT knowledgeable) and align yourself with a VP that likes you. New President of APP cares nothing about associate satisfaction or the morale of staff. A very unauthentic culture. The more mean you are the further you get ahead in this company. This is the personality type they respect. – less
Horrible for staff and patients
Patient Associate (Former Employee), Glenview Medical OfficeOctober 23, 2013
Pros: job
Cons: benefits not competitive
Patients were not called back in a timely manner by some of the doctors. I was hired for front desk but ended up working in call center that was crowded, hot, noisy and dirty. No teamwork. Some team member were just plain nasty. Office Manager would yell at staff and was psycho. Run! I would not be a patient in this office either
Pay & benefits good. Management rules your life.
MRI technologist (Former Employee), Oak lawn, IlSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: extremely poor management
I enjoyed working at Christ. Great team for the most part. May ask you to scan unsafe pts. Use your judgement. Management, hmm where to begin. They do not allow most employees to have stable hours. Make them rotate weekend midnight shifts even if they are day techs. Management tells your business to your co workers before you can. Big downer. Getting – more... vacation time is impossible as it goes by seniority in MRI so as I was told I "will work 4th of July & Christmas because I'm low man on the stick." Management comes and goes as pleases. Don't know how she gets away with it. Favoritism displayed openly.
Major back stabbing. Need very thick skin to work here with the attitudes and two faced people. Was not allowed to remain as a registry tech due to the personal issues of the team lead. – less
EKG department
EKG Tech (Former Employee), Libertyville, ilSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: health benefits, fairly good cafeteria food
Cons: low pay, very poor dept. management, no incentives
Great team work for the most part. Terrible management, never available to discuss issues, some staff members will use you and stab you in the back in the next breath. Worked hard and diligently and if you seem a little to assertive or one feels threatened that you want to succeed at higher goals then them they will find away to get rid of you like – more... they did me. Never would I recommend anyone to work for Advocate Health System anywhere.
There management should read their Mission statement once and evaluate why they are really working their. – less
Great Leadership
Business Office Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: great location, good benefits
The office worked at at this location was first attached to Ravenswood Hospital in Chicago before Advocate Health bought out the hospital. Once Advocate bought the hospital is when the name changed and then I was transferred to another location.

While here at this location I was responsible for physician payments, and it was very rewarding. I learned – more... about the different aspects in regards to physician payments. I learned how to tell if a physician was authorized for a certain procedure, and if not what my roll was in regards to this issue.

In performing my duties I built a great relationship with my co-workers. We all were able to assist one another with various questions would come up through the day. – less
Exploit the good ones, ignore the bad
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee), Hazel Crest, ILSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: a free turkey every year?
Cons: the overall quality of life that comes with working for advocate
I am a clinical laboratory scientist. I work in the lab and test your blood. Pretty straightforward job? Not in Advocate, or should I say ACL? Who knows. There are opportunities for advancement if you are willing to sell your soul and sacrifice your morals. Management will let their employees drown before they leave their offices to help. The cutbacks – more... are getting ridiculous. There is never enough staffing, which is funny because I'm pretty sure this scores low every year on the associate satisfaction survey. Workloads are never distributed evenly. And there's something very unsettling about a "non-for-profit company" that pays its C-suite over 4 million year. – less
Horrible management,don't work here
Radiology (Former Employee), Good shephardMay 16, 2013
Pros: i don't have an option to give negative100, i dont work here any more
Cons: down right terrible and underqualified radiology management!!!
Don't even think about working AT GOOD SHephARD, EspeCIALLY IN THEIR RADIOLOGY-CT\Mri.this is the worst managed place.management dont have any qualifications what so ever, some of them never even worked in A HOSPITAL before, but yet are managing staff that's been taking good care of patients for years.i wouldnt even want to go to this hospital as a – more... patient, b/c the current management is life sucking leeches.they have managers that worked previously in car industry, and they concider patoent care Just like car factory assembly line....very terrible...please dont be part of this stupidity if u have any kind of values in life – less
Management is not qualified
Phlebotomist (Current Employee), AclMarch 29, 2013
Pros: non
Cons: lies, unqualified management, do not follow policy
I work for ACL in partnership with Advocate, and Advocates policies. Advocate would be wise to ditch ACL for more qualified managers and leaders in the clinical environment.
I'm a Phlebotomist. Two of my immediate supervisors can't even perform my job, but they are the ones doing my assesment. My immediate supervisor had a high school diploma with no – more... social skills at all. My manager is lazy. She acts like she has an open door policy, then when you try to clarify something with her, she yells.( real professional).
I'm a float, currently driving 350-400 miles a week, and still waiting on mileage reimbursement that neither my manager, or supervisor will sign. Advocate pays our mileage, but the form had to be signed first. When I asked my supervisor, she said she lost it. Looks like its time to call ACL Business Conduct office, because I've went through every avenue for a signature. I guess I can understand why they wont sign it, ADVOCATE is ONLY a 2 BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY!!!
Currently I'm 600.00. behind. I'm sure they are getting their mileage!
Managers spin you. Just tell you anything. ACL has a huge turn around, and I can see why. They supposedly adopted the Advocate policy of "Christian Way", then look at you and lie. Can't wait to get out of this place. – less
dont't work for advocate if you have values, morals, family
RADIOLOGY (Former Employee), ILMarch 26, 2013
Cons: completly misleading managements....no family life allowed.
dont't work for advocate if you have values, morals, family.they'll juice you out any way possible....no concern of you or your family what so ever. their benifits are a joke, only top manageriol positions have benifits and value of benefits....you earn vaccation time, but they dcide when you could have your vaccation, and more over a lot of people – more... loose their vaccation hours due to this, and a lot of other pople are forced to take a pay out instead of having a family vaccation....DON'T WORK FOR ADVOCATE – less
Not a good place to work
nutrition (Former Employee), ILFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: a good clean environment
Cons: managements is horrible
Not a ideal company. Managers care for themselves and not your needs as a person.
Great Place to Work!
Business Associate (Former Employee), Christ Hospital/Oak Lawn, ILFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: great benefits and competative salary.
Cons: poor management in some areas
A typical day at work was registering patients via computer system, answering and making calls to external and internal clients and staff, reception, troubleshooting, etc. I learned how to work quite well with individuals from all ethnic backgrounds and levels. Management was poor. To many micro-managers! Unfortunately, the company hires managers based – more... upon favoritism and not solely upon related skills, education, background, and people skills needed to be successful in this role. Had many terrific co-workers. Worked well with MOST of them. The most difficult part of my job was having to deal with the FEW backstabbing co-workers and poor management. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting the needs of the patients and internal staff. Also, having been employed with an Outstanding Health Care establishment...that's top in the country and still getting bigger and better every day! Employee appreciation day was always AWESOME! I was really fortunate to work there. – less
Good Company to work for-(Great Benefits-Medical,Dental, and Vision)
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2013
I work in a very busy Doctor's office. Usually, don't know what the schedule will be like. So, I'mm a Floater Certified Medical Assistant I can work in Triage with the RNs', Lab and on Tuesdays I work with a Neurologist.
Run , Run Fast Horrible place to work
Nursing Care Tech (Former Employee), Lutheran General Park Ridge IlJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: management
This place is horrible. Management is beyond horrible. Favoritism run high at Lutheran General . They use like toilet paper and flush you down the toilet . They fight you when it comes to Flma and unemployment. It's horrible . They money is not worth the stress they put you through.
Productive fun work place and great enviroment.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2012
Pros: helping the elderly
A typical day at work is prep patients for doctor to examine also take vitals.
I learned so much about each individual patient.
Management was great and fun to be around learning more from the staff.
Co- workers were great and helpful.
The work was easy didnt have any problems at all with staff or employers.
The most enjoyable part is meeting the patients – more... and getting to know their characters. – less