Advocates Inc.

Advocates Inc. Employer Reviews

flexible place to work - great opportunity
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee), Framingham, MANovember 24, 2014
Very busy, excited.
always new things to learn everyday and very challenging.
The management can be improve and more team work
Advocates had great potential to be a positive work environment when I first started but became toxic and oppresive.
Direct Support Worker (Former Employee), Framingham, MAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: lots of vacation time
Cons: terrible management
There was no typical day at work, every day was something different. There was a small group of great coworkers but outside of that group people were pretty challenging to work with. The hardest part of the job is that the culture was secretive, sneaky, dishonest, and cliquey. The most enjoyable part of the job was the clients and the relationships you build with the people you support.
Great Company
Supervisor (Former Employee), Framingham MAJuly 12, 2014
Pros: great company to work for.
It was a great job and company with a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Poor managing of housing
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), Framingham, MAApril 22, 2014
Pros: engaging with the clients
Cons: inflexibility with activities for the residents
The toughest part is to watch the elder residents being deprived of their rights time to time. Front line staff has no voice and the supervisors are often unsupervised so their unethical performance goes unnoticed.
fair company to work for
Senior Counselor (Former Employee), Newton, MAApril 18, 2014
Pros: staff you work with
Cons: nature of the job
Job was ok at first however the nature of the job changed as new working conditions changed
Avoid at all costs!
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), Framingham, MAMarch 23, 2014
Pros: working with clients, good time off system
Cons: awful pay, bullying
This is by far the WORST company I have ever worked for. They do not appreciate their employees or their clients. For employees, the pay is terrible (no raises... ever!) with no opportunities for raises or advancements. They love their chain of command, and if you are on the bottom of that chain, you get no respect, no matter what you do or say or how hard you work. For clients, their needs come second to the budget. It ALL comes down to money. As long as the budget is in the black (which is extremely rare), no one cares at what cost it comes to the clients. They will inappropriately place clients in houses that can't give them the services they really need if it will get the company more money. They cut/don't fill essential positions in order to save money. Then there are the people in the higher up positions. They are unprofessional and just plain bullies. They are sneaky and go behind your back to cause you grief. I am still in shock over how some of my coworkers were treated. I have heard higher ups straight up lying about lower level employees in order to push them out. They push people out A LOT... they have no real basis for firing people they don't like, so instead they give them more work and pressure and responsibilities than any one person should have and are just flat out nasty, rude, and mean to them until they crack under the pressure and quit. If they want you out, good luck, because they will make your time with the company miserable. If they're trying to push you out, you will get minimal supervision and will be made to feel like an idiot when you make a mistake – more... that wouldn't have been made had you been supervised on a regular basis! Their human rights policy only applies to certain people... everyone else is treated like total garbage. Employees are a dime a dozen to them. Advocates has made me rethink working for nonprofits and in the mental health field in general. Don't build a career here. If you truly care about helping people, do it with another company. – less
Great team work and support
Senior Outreach Clinician (Former Employee), Waltham, MAMarch 20, 2014
Pros: you may also rely on great supervision which is important for obtaining your license
Cons: expenssive insurance, for senior management you are just the number, very low level of job security.
typical day at work is never typical. received great training and clinical practical knowledge, co-workers were outstanding and they are my second family, the hardest part of the job is constant dead lines and a lot of crisis intervention work. Enjoyable is when you are home knowing that clients are safe.
I WOULD NEVER WORK THERE AGAIN OR RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE!!!
Clinical Program Manager (Former Employee), Framingham, MAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: working with the clients and helping them achieve their goals
Cons: too many to list
Working with the clients was the only rewarding and satisfying aspect of my position as a Clinical Program Manager of a residential treatment facility. However, due to the plethora of redundant , unnecessary paperwork and the other mundane responsibilities (cleaning toilets,etc,) it was difficult to spend as much time with the clients as I wanted and as they deserved. The company philosophy of respect and open communication and supposed commitment to human rights looked great on paper. It was too bad that they did not abide by them. I saw many instances where a client's rights were violated because of untrained and unsupported clinicians/staff, poorly manged budgets, for staff convenience and other outrageous reasons. None of this human rights doctrine was applied to employees either. All of the programs were understaffed and it created much distress and potentially unsafe situations for both clients and staff. The staff members were not valued or respected. Frequently, job hours and locations that were agreed upon at hire were suddenly changed without any discussion or regard for the feelings or preferences of staff. Staff were frequently berated for making mistakes in areas where they had received little or no training. The salary was very low and there were no cost of living increases! Advocates did not adhere to Fair Labor Standards and staff that not meet the criteria for Exempt status were categorized as Exempt so that Advocates did not have to pay them overtime or for all hours worked. The culture was one of fear. It was very hierarchical and there were layers upon layers – more... of management that did not function well together, or support the direct care workers in any way. As a new hire, I went for six months without any operational or clinical support/supervision and was left completely alone to run a residential program that served ten adults. I observed OSHA violations at multiple locations. The final insult was that I was threatened by upper level management and found myself in an incredibly hostile environment. The worst part was the way my departure was handled. I was unable to appropriately terminate with clients or staff. This I am sure was detrimental to the recovery of many of the people I worked with for almost two years. If you are thinking of working for Advocates, Inc. I would suggest that you think again and then turn around and run! – less
Don't drink the Kool-Aid
Residential Manager (Former Employee), FraminghamMarch 6, 2014
This was one of my worst employment experiences ever...
Advocates maintains a very insular, almost cult-like, corporate philosophy that discourages communication without the agency and squelches and dissent within. Supervision was minimal, and yet there was a high degree of responsibility to keep things "looking good"; records were routinely altered to allow for best presentation to funding sources (primarily DMH) and client care was given minimal value.
Don't drink the Kool-Aid
busy work place
Program Manager (Current Employee), Framingham, MAFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: growth opportunities
Cons: low pay
Large agency with various departments and different areas that serve people with disabilities.
I would never work for them again!
Manager (Former Employee), FraminghamDecember 10, 2013
They treat employees unfairly, they do not appreciate hard work and they do not put the individuals we service first. Time-off is minimal and the salary is very low.
learning experience
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Natick, MAOctober 21, 2013
Pros: free dinners
Cons: poor salary and benefits
I only worked for Advocates for a year. While working for Advocates I worked at a group home and was responsible for eights adults who were diagnosed with a mental illness.

While working their I learned to be more assertive with what I want in a job and what i don't want in a job. I learned having great co workers were very important in order to have a good working environment and having good management helps as well.

Some days I would take the clients food shopping or help them with cooking dinner. I tried and teach them basic living skills so they would be ready to live on there own.
Very flexible
In Home Clinician (Current Employee), Marlborough, MAAugust 23, 2013
I enjoy those whom I work with. Hours are flexible and work life balance is appreciated here. :)
could treat their clients better
Residencial Counselor II (Former Employee), Framingham, MAAugust 3, 2013
Nice co-workers but clients could use better treatment. Slow advancement and terrible pay.
Loved working with the clients and the co-workers
Awake Overnight Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), Framingham MaJuly 12, 2013
Loved working at advocates. Clients were wonderful. Learned the importance of life experience and importance of working hard.
I enjoy working here
Certified Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee), Marlborough, MAJune 29, 2013
Pros: earned time, easiness, not that stressful
Cons: costs of health insurance, pay is low
I originally took the job for experience in the Mental Health Division. The pay is low, but at times just helping others is worth it. I have enjoyed supporting my clients and doing what I can for them.
Working with people with Chronic Mental Illness
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), Hudson, MAJune 22, 2013
Residential Setting, medium stress level - self-care is very important, burn-out alert after a year.
life experience after university
Counselor (Former Employee), Newton, MassachusettsJune 20, 2013
Pros: free meals
Cons: the driving
this was a great experience after university. I moved to the US on my own at age 21 and got to learn how to really survive on my own. a typical day was spent taking residents to appointments, giving medications, and making meals. the hardest part of the job was finding my way around (before there was GPS).
Energetic
Overnight Awake Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), Newton, MAMay 28, 2013
Pros: utilize computers for homework
Cons: overnight shift
A typical day at work can be a quiet day to a crisis intervention. I have learned to expect the unexpected. Management, no comment. Co-workers no comment. The hardest part of the job is working overnights. Working with clients
Good Choice for Non-profit in human services
Senior Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee), Newtonville, MADecember 3, 2012
I have worked for advocates for over two years. I have learned so much in just that short amount of time.

About Advocates Inc.

Advocates mission is to help people achieve their hopes and dreams within the fabric of their communities. We partner with people – Read more

Advocates Inc. Salaries