Advocates Employee Reviews in United States

Opressive & Hostile
nurse (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJune 27, 2016
Talk about feeling excluded. I'm sure there are some amazing components of Advocates, and some amazing, skilled, managers that go above and beyond to meet the program expectations, goal, and care about their staff and clients alike. What I was privy to however and unfortunately was individuals being set up to fail, shoddy communication (or none at all), unethical sabotaging of another s work and even the "stealing" of another's work after this person had left the agency, but taking credit for it. Crazy meetings in which individuals get slandered, berated and ambushed- leaving them bewildered afterwards. Yes, this is how some parts of Advocates operates. Staff that don't talk to each other ( they are afraid to), management that rolls in at odd hours of the day (with a mood that is as unpredictable as the weather) - and rolls out the same way. Direct service of clients? Not Sir how that works... I think I can count on both hands the number.I witnessed while I was there. For a program dependant on numbers.... Just saying.
I guess that's easy when you have a puppet.
Pros
Benefits for the most part a good, no choices for health care.
Cons
Upper managemen is clueless and being manipulated. it is unfortunate. some programs could suffer
ok to work
Direct Support Staff - Day & Residential Services (Current Employee) –  West Roxbury, MA / Asland, MAApril 22, 2016
I don't appreciate and Don't like the managerial structure they don't regard staff, or appreciate ur effort as a staff and they are rude.
fun place to work
PROGRAM MANAGER - DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 17, 2016
Been here for a year now and its a really fantastic setup. The management team is easily accessible and constantly reaching out to help staff
n/a
Liverpool - Personal Direct Support Advocate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, NYMarch 15, 2016
Working with individuals with disabilities, getting out into the community, going to see movies, walking in the park, whatever the individuals goals may be
Great place to work, very supportive
Re-entry Navigator for Parole (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 23, 2016
I enjoy working for advocates. They stand behind their employees and believe that people change. They are culturally sensitive, which is an important factor in human services
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Not enough work volume
Great dedicated people
Administrator (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 10, 2016
Overall great people on a definite mission to improve opportunities for client to succeed. With a few exceptions, greatly supportive and driven by addressing diversity and the overall mission of the company.
Did not meet my expectations
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAFebruary 4, 2016
Average work environment, was a small company and I was able to get along with staff in office.
Management was modest.
Got the opportunity to interact with nurses, home health aides and management staff, it was good meeting such people.
good system
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MADecember 7, 2015
Their system, clinical approach and etc is good. I enjoy working with the people that we support. never a dull moment there.

they need to improve in deaf program and hire more deaf/signer worker for the people we support.
Nice place to work!
Admin & Fiscal group (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 16, 2015
Friendly and knowledgeable staff, not high stress, fantastic work life balance. Fun work environment.Work for Advocates if you want to feel like you are making a difference and helping people.
Pros
Generous time off
Poor Management. Bad hours. poor pay
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAOctober 18, 2015
The place is not well management. no help when you need it. hours are bad. no set rules and regulations. staff do whatever they want
Pros
You manage yourself
Cons
no help when you need it
Nightmare place to work. STAY AWAY!
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAOctober 15, 2015
Let me start by saying I gained valuable experience working with a wide variety of clients as a clinician here. Unfortunately this place only cares about money at the expense of their employees and clients.

As a clinician you are forced to see every person that walks in your door due to unrealistic productivity and drowning paperwork. You worry about lack of fit for clients? Too bad because everyone else is in the same boat and they need the money from the insurance for that client.

Managememt is a joke because they have drank the kool aide or for the few decent ones, they are also drowning in their responsibilities.

You are only paid when you see a client but yet are expected to attend weekly meetings and supervision for free. Wtf?! Once I completed my hours and got my license I ran and never looked back.

My supervisor tried to bully me into staying by saying I wouldn't make it on my own that I wasn't ready for Private Practice. Somehow I'm not ready to work with less paperwork and higher functioning clients but I'm ready to work for them with psychotic clients? Go figure. Thankfully I recognized the abusive situation from a mile away and left anyway. Please proceed with caution or just avoid at all costs.
Pros
Coworkers shared in misery and tried to be positive
Cons
Everything else
Rewarding Position
Certified Peer Specialist/Case Management (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAAugust 20, 2015
Great interaction with participants. Able to communicate and direct participants into the community to be productive members of society. Great interaction with Sheriffs Dept and together helping other acheive their goals. A chance to pay it forward and connect with different resources on the outside.
I would enjoy working for your Comany again.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark , OhioAugust 14, 2015
I would work on District Manager Reports. First I would call carriers and ask them to fix the customer Complaints. Them I call customer and let them know that there deliver problem will be fixed.

I learned good human relations skills and was productive in getting things done.

I think the hardest part of job was delivering the paper.
Extremely hectic work enviorment
Direct Care Counselor (Relief Employee) (Former Employee) –  Hudson, MAJuly 17, 2015
Each employee is required to accomplish many tasks during each work day. As an employee you have to be able to multi task, handle crisis intervention with patience and have great writing skills.
Pros
amazing managers
Cons
not enough support for staff
Productive work environment
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Ayer, MAApril 9, 2015
Advocates in Ayer, MA is a great work environment. The work is meaningful and each employee is fully supported by the program director.
Effective place to work
Rehab Option Specialist (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAApril 5, 2015
developing treatment plans to match the interest and needs of those who suffer from mental illness.

I have learned effective management and paperwork skills as well as an electronic health record system.

Senior leadership can be demanding at times

Balancing personal life and professional life.

Seeing the treatment plans make changes in their lives
Pros
viewing improvement
Cons
demanding
productive
Assistant program manager (Former Employee) –  holliston massachussettsJanuary 28, 2015
Working at Advocates is a good and rewarding experience. just come in with an open mind and be open to working at different programs to get the full feel of working DD and MH programs.
flexible place to work - great opportunity
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 24, 2014
Very busy, excited.
always new things to learn everyday and very challenging.
The management can be improve and more team work
Advocates had great potential to be a positive work environment when I first started but became toxic and oppresive.
Direct Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAAugust 20, 2014
There was no typical day at work, every day was something different. There was a small group of great coworkers but outside of that group people were pretty challenging to work with. The hardest part of the job is that the culture was secretive, sneaky, dishonest, and cliquey. The most enjoyable part of the job was the clients and the relationships you build with the people you support.
Pros
lots of vacation time
Cons
terrible management
Great Company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Framingham MAJuly 12, 2014
It was a great job and company with a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
great company to work for.

2.9