Advocates Employee Reviews

Fulfilling
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYMay 17, 2017
• Assisted people with special needs in performing daily personal care, run errands, and housekeeping.
• Displayed initiative in performing daily tasks.
• Performed tasks with love and compassion towards clients.
Not enough support
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 13, 2017
As a psychiatric NP for Advocates my typical day was comprised of seeing between 9-21 patients per day, completing session noted, returning phone calls, completing Pas, and completing all other paperwork to benefit my patients (i.e. housing letters, sick notes, disability forms.) I formed great relationships with my patients and saw a lot of improvement in people through our work together. I also enjoyed collaborating with a lot of my Advocates co-workers.

Unfortunately, I found that as an NP for Advocates I was consistently expected to do too much in too little time. For example, in addition to maintaining a large caseload of underserved mentally ill individuals I also had to set up PAs, return phone calls (i.e. call back all patients, call back all other professionals, call back pharmacies etc.), and complete all other paper work. On several occasions I reached out for support for this matter but was not helped. I do not want to go too much more into the details of this matter. Needless to say leaving Advocates was a very difficult decision for me. I sincerely miss my relationships and work with my patients and co-workers.
Do not work here
Shared Living (Former Employee) –  1881 Worcester Rd, Framingham MAApril 27, 2017
I worked at this company for 3 years. In that time I did learn a lot of valuable skills and gained experience. However, the management, HR dept and training were all awful and ruined my experience here. You do not get recognized for the hard work you do and you do not get paid nearly enough to deal with the issues and amount of paper work that they require of you. Any recognition for hard work and a job well done goes to your supervisors, who make way more money, do less work, and in my experience, care much less about the work being done. Directors get paid very large salaries while those who do the most challenging parts of the job are paid minimally. You are treated as a variable and not a constant. So, if you want to work hard and have your managers reap the rewards, work here. You are reprimanded when you ask for raises. The training is a joke compared to the actual work required. And when something goes wrong, all of the blame goes on you even though you have expressed concern about your training. Advocates is also one of the lowest paying in the state for these types of jobs. Go anywhere else. Work the same job for a different company, get paid better and treated better.
Pros
experience
Cons
training, expectations, pay, benefits
BH division
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAApril 26, 2017
Advocates BH division director has brought the division down . The way she treats people, and talks downs to them is aggravating . Everyone is leaving their jobs because no on can stand her . We've lost some amazing people .
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High turnover
Striving always to have the individuals served achieve higher and higher all the time
MAP consultant (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 15, 2017
Working at Advocates is a challenge and a joy all combined in to one day !! Providing nursing oversight requires 24/7 with the phone for which there is no financial compensation. Its very tough to be a nurse at Advocates because most of the upper management is not familiar with the scope of nursing practice and also many are social workers which does not lend itself in caring medical for challenged individuals.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Constant phone triage/24/7, No DON or upper management to provide more nursing oversight, no raise in over 4 years
Fun place working with clients
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAMarch 10, 2017
I learned about helping people in need and managing their behaviors and workplace culture is great. The hardest part of the job is managing outburst behavior.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having positive interactions with the clients and going out on community trips.
Pros
You get to eat with the clients
Cons
Health care and retirement benefits
challenging
Senior Counselor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAFebruary 15, 2017
Challenging work with individuals who have mental health issues. Advocates Way is to support individuals with disabilities to reach their full potential. Good staff support.
Pros
Supportive of work life balance for staff and individuals supported
Cons
Mental health is a difficult field and not for everyone
Fun!
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJanuary 15, 2017
I love working with the individuals. You become part of the advocates family. you get to have a great relationship with the individuals. Like any job, it can get stressful and if coworkers don't work together, it makes the job harder. not everyone wants o get the job done at work.
Pros
education development, health care, you get to pick more hours, relief staff
Cons
some staff members can be lazy.
Fun to work here
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ashland, MANovember 12, 2016
A great place to work , diverse, good training programs.managemnt listen to employees, place to advance and develop career
Love my job
Legal secretary (Current Employee) –  legal secretaryOctober 14, 2016
Love my job, the best thing is the typing. all I want to do is type! I work mainly in the matrimonial field regarding divorces, maintenance, surrogacies. All work is dictated and I do the typing by downloading the dictation.
Pros
n/a
Cons
overtime pay
Solid Company
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MASeptember 20, 2016
Advocates really is a great company. If you are dedicated and a good employee, they will treat you well. However, if management doesn't like you, it's better to get out sooner than later and cut your losses.
Advocates will always put the individuals first. This can be a great thing as we as employees will continually reflect on if what we are doing will serve the clients best.
If you do good, hard work at Advocates, they will reward you with more hard work. There really are no boundaries on when people will call you for work-related issues unless you are able to make these boundaries for yourself.
I highly recommend Advocates as a first job out of school or if you want to make community mental health your career.

Advice to management: Insist on better work-life balances, more opportunities to flex your time, and better training for your lower-level managers (program managers, etc...)
Pros
Most jobs are what you make of them.
Cons
Rewarded for doing good work with more work.
Family oriented company with great people and grat support.
Senior Accounts Payable Specialist (promotion) (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MASeptember 16, 2016
My lexperience working at Advocates was a great one. I loved the job, the people, the management team. Had i not relocated I would still be there.
Pros
People
Opressive & Hostile
nurse (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJune 27, 2016
Talk about feeling excluded. I'm sure there are some amazing components of Advocates, and some amazing, skilled, managers that go above and beyond to meet the program expectations, goal, and care about their staff and clients alike. What I was privy to however and unfortunately was individuals being set up to fail, shoddy communication (or none at all), unethical sabotaging of another s work and even the "stealing" of another's work after this person had left the agency, but taking credit for it. Crazy meetings in which individuals get slandered, berated and ambushed- leaving them bewildered afterwards. Yes, this is how some parts of Advocates operates. Staff that don't talk to each other ( they are afraid to), management that rolls in at odd hours of the day (with a mood that is as unpredictable as the weather) - and rolls out the same way. Direct service of clients? Not Sir how that works... I think I can count on both hands the number.I witnessed while I was there. For a program dependant on numbers.... Just saying.
I guess that's easy when you have a puppet.
Pros
Benefits for the most part a good, no choices for health care.
Cons
Upper managemen is clueless and being manipulated. it is unfortunate. some programs could suffer
ok to work
Direct Support Staff - Day & Residential Services (Current Employee) –  West Roxbury, MA / Asland, MAApril 22, 2016
I don't appreciate and Don't like the managerial structure they don't regard staff, or appreciate ur effort as a staff and they are rude.
Nice Place to visit....
Direct Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAApril 7, 2016
Advocates strives to empower the lives of the people they serve. However, they fall short with respecting the people on the front lines, assisting peoples of all disabilities. They never offer raises or bonuses and hardly ever offer any praise to the staff.
Pros
Lots of hours.
Cons
Need to learn to respect the frontt line staff
fun place to work
PROGRAM MANAGER - DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 17, 2016
Been here for a year now and its a really fantastic setup. The management team is easily accessible and constantly reaching out to help staff
n/a
Liverpool - Personal Direct Support Advocate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, NYMarch 15, 2016
Working with individuals with disabilities, getting out into the community, going to see movies, walking in the park, whatever the individuals goals may be
Great place to work, very supportive
Re-entry Navigator for Parole (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 23, 2016
I enjoy working for advocates. They stand behind their employees and believe that people change. They are culturally sensitive, which is an important factor in human services
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Not enough work volume
Great dedicated people
Administrator (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 10, 2016
Overall great people on a definite mission to improve opportunities for client to succeed. With a few exceptions, greatly supportive and driven by addressing diversity and the overall mission of the company.
Did not meet my expectations
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAFebruary 4, 2016
Average work environment, was a small company and I was able to get along with staff in office.
Management was modest.
Got the opportunity to interact with nurses, home health aides and management staff, it was good meeting such people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Advocates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8