AEP Employee Reviews

Electrical Design Drafter
Electrical Designer (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 11, 2015
Pros: I was my own boss taking direction from engineers or service tech
Cons: working alone
I created Electrical, Controls, P&ID, Plot Plan, Pipe Spool, Excel Drawing Issue Log under Engineering supervision utilizing AutoCAD, Raster Imagery, Plotter, Printer, Microsoft XP. Keep flat file drawing library up to date with latest revision of issued drawing prints and kept the computer file folders accurate.
enjoyed coworkers and public relations
Lineman (Former Employee), Pulaski, VAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: working with good people
Cons: long hours, and working in bad weather
being on time. stay healthy, so I can do my job professionally.hardest part ,was working in all kinds of weather and all hours of the night , dealing with all types of people and situations.
productive a good place rto learn several things at once
Handyman (Former Employee), PRMarch 10, 2015
everything I learned and I know it was at this place sincei t was mostly at a school they needed everything to be done it was a short period but it was fun a really productive.
Good people to work for.
Receptionist (Current Employee), Paducah, KYFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: a very good environment.
Cons: the long drive from mayfield
I love my job at AEP but I am working through Man Power.
I am seeking a job with benefits.
I love creating an email each morning with our Daily Achievement that goes out to everyone and to all our boats. I take care of all mail including Boat Mail. I do several reports weekly and I order all supplies.
I answer every call timely and I am always pleasant.
I try to always have a smile on my face.
I look for ways to make everyone's jobs run more smoothly.
My co-workers are awesome and I help each department in some way.There are no hard parts of my job other that the drive to and from. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling appreciated by each and every employee of the company.
very poor work place
Press Helper (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: good paid vac time
Cons: poor pay no raises
a typical day at work was going in to clean up another shifts mess and get all my ducts in order. I learned a lot there but mostly on my own and watching others do it. very poor management. my co workers were awesome to work with. the hardest part of job was knowing that I was going in another day to get paid my same pay Ive been making the year in a half I was there and busted my butt everyday. the enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I was learning more and more everyday I was there.
productive work place good co-workers fun enviroment
meter reader (Former Employee), Saint Clairsville, OHJanuary 3, 2015
8 hour shift
how to read electric meters
management worked hand and hand
make sure reading was right
co-workers
had a schedule
fun
Deckhand/Engineer (Former Employee), Convent, LADecember 31, 2014
good job culture an job security I learned a lot and a lot of skills management was good my co-workers were team players the hardest thing about the job is trying to everything done the most enjoyable part is getting the job done
excellent contract position
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 14, 2014
leading medicare part c plan in the southeast. competitive benefits and compensation as well as adequate training.
CAD experience producing thousands of electrical drawings.
CAD Designer (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKApril 17, 2014
Pros: achieve experience and become very productive in cad works.
Cons: any
Typical day at work updating existing drawings and digitizing drawings according to the daily program.

I learned techniques of Autocad and GIS data applications to integrate manual drawings to digital format of thousands of drawings of electrical systems.

Following directions of the project manager to completed the project in record time.

The systematic work as a team was fundamental support for this project.

The heaviest part of the job was moving physical files from diferents locations to the main office.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to learn new CAD & GIS technologies and understand electrical systems and components,
and travel around of Texas and Oklahoma States.
production
2nd Mate (Former Employee), Lakin, WVApril 9, 2014
In a general work day I fleet and clean barges. I typically work an 8 hour day and overtime when needed. My co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with.
Productive and Well-Oiled
Packaging Operator (Former Employee), Mankato, MNMarch 19, 2014
Pros: productive, great experience, good hours and pay
Cons: no advancement for dedication and excellence
As expected from a factory setting work place, AEP ran a well-oiled machine with everyone doing what was expected of them. It was simple and easy to learn what your job was and how to do it right. However there was little to no chance of advancing to a higher position if you excelled.
Call center
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 17, 2014
Micro managed to the second. AEP is focused on a singular goal-their standings with PUCO. Your family and private life are expected to be ignored. AEP is expected to come first, no matter what. Management is so-so, and there is plenty of room for advancement IF you have/get a degree. Co-workers are nice, answering calls isn't bad. The environment itself is what brings this job down to a 1-2 star rating.
The quickest 21 months I've ever worked
Meter Reader (Current Employee), Longview, TXMarch 7, 2014
Pros: flexible breaks and lunch, got to work outside of an office.
Cons: very little chance for advancing
Reading meters is a very fun job. I gott to work outside and with a very good group of people. My manager is not just a manager. She is understanding of life's events while adhering to the company policy. The hardest part of the job was advancement. Being as it is union based, seniority plays the biggest part in your chance for moving up. Also difficult was working in the severe weather. Although not impossible, it was difficult.
hard work twelve hour days.
packer (Former Employee), Stallings, NCDecember 16, 2013
Pros: i worked half the year.
Cons: not many benefits and working every other week end.
I ran a machine, checked plastic bags and packed them up.I learned how to make plastic bags.I had a good boss.most of the people were good to me.The heavy lifting .watching the machine run.
it was fun and productive and i learnedd something new everyday
Material Handler (Former Employee), Waxahachie, TXDecember 2, 2013
it was productiive and it kept me really busy. it taught me how to control my temper and be more patient. it gave me good benefits. plus the work enviorment was extremly comfortable
Very solid place to work with growth potential.
Engineering Design Administrative Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 19, 2013
Pros: flex time
Cons: i can not really suggest any cons to my time of employment.
Great Place to work. I enjoyed all of my 27 years there. Would go back anytime if they begin hiring again. AEP is especially good to Veterans from any branch of service.
safety is our goal
operator/packer/ forklift operator (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYOctober 25, 2013
A typical day would be to get in start your press and to prepare for your order. Management was great very observant and helpful. Positive attitudes all through shift, the hardest part of the job is when your crane breaks and you have to lift 150 lb rolls onto a pallet. Enjoyed the friendly atmosphere that a lot of my co-workers exude.
Good paying position but plant may not last too much longer
Control Technician (Former Employee), Conesville, OHSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: $30.00/hr, plenty of overtime if you took it when asked
Cons: too far from family, management failed to communicate properly with techs and supervisors, fresh inexperienced supervisors assigned jobs in an inefficient manner
In a workday at the plant, I was responsible for the maintenance, installation, calibration, troubleshooting and repair of a huge variety of electrical, electronic, computer, and pneumatic systems. Every day was different from the last because the work scope is so enourmous for a power plant instrumentation and controls technician. I could go from the middle of an installation project of, for example, pH analyzers for the control of the makeup pumps in the scrubber for efficiency to troubleshooting an electrical ground somewhere on an ac or dc system to calibrating a Ramsey conveyor belt scale – more... integrator for moving coal to the units. I was the technician responsible for the belt scale maintenance on unit 5. The co-workers were great for the most part, but there were a few who liked to play pranks on everyone. This is ok until it crosses the small scale fun "line". As far as management goes, the people were mostly great, but communication and organization was almost completely absent. Many hrs of good wrench time were lost due to improper job assigning, lack of communication from the management level to the tech level, and I attribute some dysfunction to the lack of pertinent knowledge by members of management over my department- people who should have been gurus. Overall, some of this could have been in relation to techs being promoted to supervisor level and constant moving around so a lot of management did not even have a background that correlated to the department they were leading. The most enjoyable thing about the job was the respect and freedom we had, This is one of the most difficult jobs in a plant- and the ICE Techs are heavily relied upon to keep everything fully operational. We are the "McGuyvers" of the plant. The hardest part of the job was becoming proficient at a very large number of concepts, fundamentals, safety and site specific practices. We were required to complete hundreds of demos and have then signed off as we became familiar enough to present them, and those instances don't all pop up every day. So needless to say I have learned much about the operation and processes of a coal-fired power station. A big chunk of my acquired knowledge was just how to go about troubleshooting a problem that wasn't obvious or maybe intermittent, and also the DCS (distributed control system, which in our case was Emerson's Ovation DCS). Logging into a DCS computer was a useful tool in troubleshooting air-operated valves, motor-operated valves (limittorques), solenoid valves, and electric motors because I could simply look at logic sheets to see what inputs/outputs were true/false to determine what component or what section of a circuit needed attention. This position really changed me as both a technician and a person outside of work. It has been a very positive part of my life, but I would like to find a position closer to home which is around Parkersburg, WV. – less
A good productive&workplace AEP
River Operations, Deckhand (Former Employee), Convent, LAJuly 8, 2013
shipping an receiving tranportion on the Mississippi river tug boat service hardest part of the job is making sure that every ship gets there product on time an not damage
productive and fun
Meter Reader (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 14, 2013
Pros: finishing my routes early and getting paid for the whole day
Cons: poor management
the hardest part of the job was dealing with unsatisfied customers.what i loved about the job is being in the field