Aetna Employee Reviews

Found 1,819 reviews matching the search
The Division plus Management sets the tone for your experience
Plan Sponsor Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blue Bell, PAJanuary 17, 2017
The segment of the company you are in determines work life balance, pay, and job satisfaction. Management plays a huge part in your progression in the company. If you work for good management, you will love your job and afforded all the great opportunities Aetna has. If you get the wrong management, you could get stuff under their old school politics and not be allowed to participate in company benefits.
Pros
Great health incentives and 401k match
Cons
Expensive Healthcare
Computerized sweat shop, micro-management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Horrible culture. My immediate team leader would walk by me in the morning, completely ignoring my "Good Morning" greeting to her. This happened several times before I gave up. Call center work is computerized sweat shop, with timed bathroom breaks, heavy on scripting compete with poor grammar that we were expected to stick to verbatim. Example: "Our internet access is currently unavailable at this time." Yes, really. And the computer systems are circa 1980. Management used Salesforce, but the call center used ancient programs that failed completely at times (see above scripting).
Pros
Decent benefits.
Cons
Timed bathroom breaks, micro-management, soul-killing rules.
Worst call center to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJanuary 11, 2017
The Aetna call center in franklin tn is a joke. The management are like a bunch of clowns in a circus act. Especially the call center manager Elaine. They are very unorganized and unprofessional. The pay is great! However the temp services they go through are all located out of town and are terrible as well. When you go to interview for the position they do not tell you it will be through a temp until after you are offered the position. Not much room for growth or advancement in this department. If offered another position at the same time as this, take the other and run!!!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, temp services, call volume...
Excellent overall company environment
Executive Director IT Management Services (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 19, 2016
Directed storage management and server activity, overseeing a budget of $40 million. Led a customer acquisition strategy that resulted in the development of a storage management Service Level Agreement process adopted by internal IT clients and all major business units.

Highlights & Achievements:
• Implemented business continuity, disaster recovery, and operational technical support initiatives that led to a 20% annual data growth rate..
• Introduced organizational changes that increased productivity by as much as 40%.
Pros
Excellent overall company working environment
Cons
Very political upper management structure
Stop-Loss Underwriting- Micro Managed heavily and too stuffy/clicky!!!
Underwriting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 18, 2017
In an Underwriting Analyst role you WILL BE micro-managed heavily. Shot gun training to get you in the door and help with the tremendous volumes at peak times! When the volumes slows and if they feel you are not the 'perfect fit' they will try and get rid of you and disguise it behind 'performance issues.' Horrible managers who sit and watch your case numbers all day long!!!
Pros
Salary, PTO time
Cons
Horrible management
Office Experience
Provider Data Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 23, 2016
Typical day at work included loaded providers into our OH+ and Actisure data bases.
I learned how to read invoices from providers, looking up provider names and loading billing information in the databases.
Management was micro-management!
Co-workers were reliable and dependable
Hardest part of the job was that it was too routine for me.
The most enjoyable was the wonderful team I worked with.
Pros
Employees, experience with providers
Cons
Short breaks, micro-managemant, routine
Great company values, inconsistent application across various divisions
Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 5, 2017
Overall Aetna has a great set of values and employees are expected to live by them. Unfortunately, these values are not applied consistently across all departments and there is little oversight from the top to ensure adherence across the board.
Good company to work for overall.
Pros
Great work/life balance and flexibility to work from home when needed
Cons
Inconsistent application of the Aetna values across divisions
a rewarding high-performing, challenging culture
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHJanuary 8, 2017
a typical day is fast-paced, busy, and satisfying assisting caller's and co-worker's. Balancing assistance provided along with average handle time requirements is challenging, yet achievable due to a monthly goal. My co-worker's are supportive, friendly, and funny. Management makes the best possible decisions for our division, and are open to suggestion. The hardest part of the job can be multiple claims inquiries. The most enjoyable part is when a caller agrees to take a survey.
Pros
compensation, and work environment
Cons
n/a
Good company to work for overall.
Long Term Disability Benefit Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 14, 2016
The job could be hectic at times as there always seemed to be less people for the work that was needed to be done. This could leave to a lot of times where overtime work was required to finish the workload.

The company was good to work for overall and when I left, it was very amicable.

The management was always very approachable and willing to listen to concerns and issues, although they were sometimes unable to do much to affect change.
Pros
Feel wanted, good atmosphere.s
Cons
Overwork. Can get stressful.
Typical Corporate Bureaucracy
Consultant - Strategic Programs (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2016
Typical, older corporate culture. Recognized that median age was older with a lot of lifers. Tried to bring in younger talent, but still a work in progress. There was a period where working remote was somewhat acceptable, however leadership currently wants staff in office. This is creates an environment in which advancement is tough for remote workers. While I was there, up to mid-level employees still could enjoy somewhat of work-life balance (I believe it was due to lifers and older culture). Leadership seems to have some vision in terms of market strategy. Technology is still struggling with next gen systems. Re-org/re-sizing will probably change to working longer and harder culture.
Worst place to work ever
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  NJDecember 8, 2016
This was the worst place to work ever. The management does not support employee's at all. The computer systems do not meet current standards and require the need for nurses to do manual work that is not supported nor backed up by management. The reporting is nonexistent and there is no ability to track and trend data. The upper level management staff have a lot to learn about managed care and overall professional behavior. Compensation is significantly lower that other companies and there is no job security, employee's are not respected nor supported.
poor
Utilization Nurse (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2016
It was a lot of work but I love it , staying busy, but they changed management and began outsourcing, that is when it began going down hill for us American Staff. every year there was a lay off, they kept change the work flow the changing it back, cutting staff adding more work, changing the criteria that we reviewed by, micro managing the staff they wanted to lay off especially the people of color.
Pros
working from home
Cons
micro management, outsource
Fellow employees demonstrate a high EQ.
Clinical Collaboration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 28, 2016
This experience has been wonderful with regard to my co-workers. Everyone is supportive of each other and we celebrate our successes. People take accountability for their actions rather than looking for a scape goat. The hardest part of the job has been that it is predominantly a work from home position. It would be nice to have the opportunity to be in the same room with the co-workers for projects etc. That being said, the most enjoyable part of the job is working at home. It is easier to be productive when working solo as there are minimal distractions.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lay offs
Very productive; Flexible hours
Premium Collection Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXDecember 4, 2016
Maintaining the members medical premiums; Following up with members via voice-mails and emails.
I learned how to communicate with other cultures which taught when it comes to health and wanting the best for your family we're all the same, as one.
Only interacting with the department management and I found them to be very knowledgeable.
Very good comradely.
The hardest of the job was leaving it. I always had 100% support from my manager so there was nothing to hard to accomplish.
I enjoyed speaking with the members(people) and helping them maintain there benefits with no interruptions. It gave me a sense of pride
Pros
Flexible hours and the superb health benefits
Cons
The open room setting(distracting sometimes)
Bait & Switch
Nurse auditor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 3, 2016
Don't believe anything they tell you about policy, mission statement or anything in the interview - because that will all be completely different once you start your actual job. Happened to me and others in my department - promise one thing, do another. Horrible culture of favoritism & unrealistic expectations. I always felt like we were having to reinvent the wheel so to speak, instead of learning from corporate or other state Aetna plans. Would never go back.
Pros
Pay is decent, but rarely give out raises or bonuses, work from home on occasion, holidays & weekends off
Cons
Culture, rampant favoritism, friction & departments not willing to work together, petty gossip, distrustful of supervisors because they don't follow policy & fly by the seat of their pants.
Production quotas are unrealistic
Grievance and Appeals Specialist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 16, 2016
Used to be the most excellent company to work for; however, much is lacking today in terms of production expectations and deliverable quality within those expectations. The ability to provide excellent customer service is hindered due to the unreasonable standards of production.
Pros
Starting pay is great and entry level customer service training is bar none. Good benefits.
Cons
Production requirements are unreasonable and quality is sacrificed.
Unprofessional
Prior Authorization Rep/Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 16, 2016
I worked as a for Aetna/Coventry in Richmond VA. This is the worst place to work. They base performance on how team leads and supervisors like you. They also choose poor Team Leads to train new hires. If you are not liked you will not be properly trained. `I would not recommend working for this company unless they change Manager Supervisors, Senior Techs base any advancement on who likes you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, breaks, Job security
Unhappy
Case Mgt. Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 15, 2016
Based on what the I was informed by the recruiters, it is not what I expected. There is no work from home like I was told. They are micro-managers (timing restroom breaks). There is no room for advancement. The social workers caseload is over 600. The work expectations are unrealistic as well as productivity. Weekends have been mandated to catch up. Senior workers have to help others who fall behind in their work with their same expectations being required of them. Management is terrible, messy and manipulative. There is also a high turnover rate from Directors to clinical staff.

If you like working in a micro managed environment with good pay and no flexibility, Aetna's the place.
Pros
pay, helping members
Cons
healthcare benefits, micro management, high caseloads, no room for advancement
Productive and fun work place.
Customer Service Licensing (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNDecember 6, 2016
A good place to work, many opportunities for advancement.Great people to work with, very dedicated to helping the community. Learned how to license agents to sell medicate supplement products for Aetna and helped agents when they are having problems, whether though the contract process or when they have commission issues.
Pros
Excellent job opportunitie
Cons
Parking
Good company to work for.
Dental/Vision Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 19, 2017
Typical day consisted of responding to 10-15 rfp requests per day. Balancing the volume along with renewals was an enjoyable task. Best part of the job was the networking and relationship building with my sales team. I become a trusted asset to them as my results showed. In 2016, I released over 2,500 rfp's and had a close ratio on 7.1%. My retention rate was in the high 90's