Affymetrix Employee Reviews

Productive, great team and interesting and challenging work.
Technical Writer & Product Development Scientist (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJune 29, 2015
Pros: Excellent health benefits, bonuses, and great lunch program
Cons: Not a fun workplace with extra curricular opportunities
Typical day at work included 30% bench work, 50% documentation and 20% interaction with cross functional teams, vendors, customers etc.

The hardest part of the job was the efforts that went into establishing stringent requirements in creating a GLP environment and transitioning a Research Use Product only to a diagnostic product for clinical applications. The lack of quality and regulatory knowledge amongst colleagues from within and various other departments made the process longer and harder.

The most enjoyable part was a great, determined and hardworking manager to work and report to. Working with a team willing to learn and adapt to changes. Interesting and consistent challenges during the course of development to launch of the product. Also plenty of opportunities to learn and grow in the company.
Productive and fun place to work with lunch provided
Research Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJune 16, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch
Cons: short breaks
The most enjoyable part of the job was listening to music and setting up experiments using different types of skills. The typical day was getting there at 7:30 am in morning. Starting my day with good breakfast and listening to music and working on DNA chips. Using micropipette filling chips with Hyb buffer and then putting it in Hybridization Oven.
I have 7+ Years in Java Developing.
Java Developer (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CAMarch 31, 2015
7+ plus years good professional experience in the Analysis, Architecture, Design, Development, Implementation, Integration and Testing of Client / Server / Internet / Intranet Systems for Engineering, Research, Financial and Insurance Industries using Object Oriented Analysis/Design/Methodologies.Hands-on experience with the latest Java EE 5 platform. Strong exposure to lightweight containers like EJB 3.0. JPA 1 and Hibernate 3.0. Solid experience in lightweight POJO based frameworks like spring 3.0(Dependency Injection, IOC, ORM, DAO, AOP, MVC, JMS and Business Integration).Good experience in Spring AOP (Aspect Oriented Programming) and IOC (Inversion of Control).
plenty of uncertainty
Director equipemnt (Former Employee), Santa claraSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: layoff bonus
Cons: management is very directionless
Management in the corporate is very incompetence. No new products for years and no new technology. Management is full of dead woods
nice people to work with
Buyer II (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAMarch 21, 2014
Challenging work and good people to work with. company was going thought multiple changes, so mood was on eggshells
Decent place to work for.
Quality Control (Current Employee), Warrensville, OHFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: wednesday donuts, day one benefits, employee referral program
Cons: not much room for advancement
Affymetrix is a decent place to work for, but it seems next to almost impossible to advance within. For the most part they give good incentives, health care, 401k, vacation time and few other perks. They try to keep the morale high by having a employees activities committee conduct monthly events. The hardest part of the job are the people, but that is usually at most jobs. In my area my co-workers are very close knit and we work like a family. Management can a shaky at times, but nothing to really worry about. There are many learning opportunities because Affymetrix highly promotes cross training. When I started working here you get all benefits from day one.
a typical day at worK
Liquid reagent mixer (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: a typical day at work
Cons: a typical day at work
a typical day at worK
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
work from home and corporate fun co-worker
Instrument Service Engineer (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: lunch on corporate site, bonus, hard work recognition, corporate family functions
Cons: change in management
I made my weekly schedule which included all service call coordination and installs. Keep up on expense reports and service reports. make my own travel arrangements.
Ok workplace
Chemical Technician II (Former Employee), Warrensville, OHNovember 15, 2013
Typical work day was ok,I learned about all kinds of bulk and liquid materials,management was fine,co-workers were ok,hardest part of job was very big orders in which took alot of time to get done,my most enjoyable parts of job was the christmas party's
Life saving work
Supervisor, Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMay 2, 2013
Pros: 4 weeks time off, year one
Cons: management who is indecsive and fluid
Very aggressive work schedule focused primarily on profits. They do have an excellent product which is of great benefit to mankind. Perhaps with the the recent restructure and change in management they will be able to work to their mission and product a product that will make great strides in diagnostic medicine.
Healthy workplace for a company in dire straits
Sr. Technical Writer (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAApril 24, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, nice co-workers
Cons: no benefits
Affymetrix is a good company to work for but it is not financially solvent. Thus I couldn't really move forward in the organization even though I did "quality work." Hours are flexible and eating was great until they took away breakfast. They had layoffs while I was there and I ultimately became a victim of budgetary constraints. I was replaced by a contract worker that was fired in the initial layoffs and was rehired back on a contract basis. There is some backstabbing though and certain people don't know too much. The company is not going to stay afloat due to bad management and a lot of workers I saw goofing off.
Best place to work for!
Sr. Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: great benefits!
Cons: no comment
Best place to work for. Friendly environment. Great management team. I enjoyed my busy desk, always challenging on a daily basis.
I learned a lot from the people I work for and has been my mentor all the time.
I will surely miss the company.

March 15, 2013

Youve got to be crazy. What a joke this place is to work for. They dont know which direction they are going!!

Intersting Place to Work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CANovember 27, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: would like more of a challenge
Overall This is a god place to work. I do wish that I was more challenge at my job on a day to day basis.
Great workplace
Manufacturing Technician 1V (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAAugust 24, 2012
Pros: health care, free lunch, work schedule
Worked here for 13 years. Great boss and co-workers. Had excellent amenities.
Productive workplace with a chance to excel in life
Liquid Dispencer (Current Employee), Warrensville Heights, OHAugust 21, 2012
Pros: free online classes, donunt days, freedom
Cons: no cons
I begin work each day by checking my email. I gown up into proper lab wear then procede into lab. I take a filling order and follow each procedure. Work orders vary from quanity which determine the time frame. After completing the work order I return all materials and close the work order into the companies software. The management is pretty laid back and the co-workers are the same. There is no hard part about the job. One of the best things they have are educational classes that you get credits and certificates when complete.
Small yet friendly company to work at...
SR. REVENUE ACCOUNTANT (Consultant) (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAApril 11, 2012
Pros: free danishes every friday morning
Small yet friendly company to work at...Employees stay a long time and are happy.
Affy is full of brilliant people with purpose-driven focus
Executive Assistant, R&D (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAMarch 16, 2012
Pros: great lunch program, excellent perk and best meal of the day !
Cons: inability to retain quality management
The best thing about working for a company like Affy is knowing that the end result (products/services) positively affect the quality of human life.

For me, this simple fact has been the most powerful reason to work there and why I choose to remain in biotech !