AFL

AFL United States Employee Reviews

One the best on hands learning expeirences offered
ATT Field Technician (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: wont you dont know you will learn
Cons: communication can be sketchy
• Responsible for LTE Integration on Ericsson 6000 series cabinet
• Installation of RRUW’s
• Responsible for DUW replacements
• Responsible for DC power termination
• Responsible for radio cable termination
• Responsible for T1 troubleshooting
• Responsible for RBS software updates on newly installed hardware
• 1st & 2nd carrier Smart laptop Integration 6000 & 3000 series cabinets
• 1st & 2nd carrier Manual Integration 6000 & 3000 series cabinets
• Responsible for pick up & delivery of hardware
• Responsible for training new employees
Excellebt Experience
Quality Control Clerk (Former Employee), Duncan, SCJanuary 13, 2015
Continually learning new thing. How to handle the decision making process under pressure. The management teams work together to accomplish the goal at hand. Everyone works together to help one another professionally and personally.
Knowledge
Telecom Tech (Current Employee), Homewood, ALJanuary 7, 2015
Management was great
Didn't like the hours
Co-workers are amazing train you very well
Love the Job Security/Advancement and Management.
Administrative Data Analyst (Current Employee), Duncan, SCDecember 3, 2014
I spend most of my days updating and creating excel spreadsheets. I also use Oracle to place sale orders from Customers. I update and create bids for our Customers. Since I have been here, I have learned how to use Oracle BI system and become more efficient in Access. I have the best management team and the co-workers are friendly.
Telecom Company
Quality Auditor and Service Engineer (Former Employee), Glen Burnie, MDNovember 13, 2014
In charge of quality compliance for the Lucent installation team encompassing the entire state of Pennsylvania. Also, installed telecommunication systems including fiber optic cable, AC/DC power plants, routers, 5ESS, system bays etc. This was primarily in Pennsylvania but also in Maryland and New Jersey
Employment and Training Specialist
Employment and Training Specialist (Former Employee), Wisconsin Rapids, WIOctober 21, 2014
Pros: working with people from various back grounds to make a difference in their lives
Cons: not knowing whether there would be funds to continue the program
A typical day included meeting with clients to review their needs.
tech
Contractor (Current Employee), GreensboroSeptember 4, 2014
Excellent communication company to work for. This company is located through out the United States.
worst company ever stay away!!!
Tech II (Former Employee), charlotte, ncJune 29, 2014
Pros: nothing!
Cons: no work and lies
Please stay away! They will hire anybody and then send you emails saying that there is no work and it can a couple days or weeks with out pay. If you are in the charlotte area stay away They are liars! They only want money for themselves and do not care about anybody else and if you are looking for advancement...not a chance they have not given one in years.
Terrible Place To Work, Please Avoid!
Technician II (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 20, 2014
Cons: lies, lies!!!!
AFL was behind on a major job, they were hiring experienced techs as fast as they could to get caught up and complete the project. At the time they were bidding on 3 other major jobs, in which they received none of the projects. When the job I was working was completed, everyone whom was hired at that time were all released.
Lies, lies and more lies is all we got...

STAY AWAY!!!!
Horrible company.
staff accountant (Former Employee), norcross, gaJune 3, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: too much turnover in accounting
I worked as staff accountant and the four years I worked at Alta/Afl it was constantly changing managers. Very depressing. Low pay. I left and in a great job now with increase in salary 38% with great benefits, less stress and I get to see family and friends more often.

Keep looking. Very poor leadership at Sr. level and poor or no communications.
An interesting place to work
Engineer (Current Employee), Duncan, SCMay 14, 2014
AFL makes a number of very interesting products and is very focused on customer satisfaction. At times it might seem that internal policies are focused on customers first, safety second, and then the product.

All in all, the company culture is a good one but turnover is high within manufacturing and specialty products seem to be the rule rather than the exception.
ALL BUSSINESS
INSTALLER - L4 AFL/CIENA (Current Employee), USAApril 16, 2014
Pros: good acommodations
Cons: very litle time to complete jobs.
LIKE OTHER PROJECTS, VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS WORKING TOGETHER TO COMPLETE THE JOB.
Great Perferred vendor for WFB
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 15, 2014
This company is a preferred vendor for Wells Fargo, Company name changed since I worked for them 15 years ago. Formerly Carolina Comtec for First Union
Good job with excellent benefits.
Radio Frequency Tech I (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GADecember 8, 2013
Pros: excellent pay
Cons: location
Good job with excellent benefits. Great pay. The location was not convenient. Learned a lot. Pleasant experience.
Much consideration for employees
CIO (Former Employee), El Monte, CANovember 2, 2013
Pros: free lunch and dinner
Cons: too much walking
Team work was highly influential to other employees. The environment was motivating and we received much recognition for all our hard work.
Enjoyable, great time,Influential,Eye-Opening
Cio Investment Trust Corporation (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 15, 2013
Pros: networking. friendly environment.
Cons: i had to return to high school for my senior year.
Working at the Afl-Cio was a high point in my life.I just recently came off a career ending injury from football. From networking with a few people I was presented an opportunity to try a different style of life as a young working man for a summer. The experience I received working and being there was an eye opener for me My thoughts on a 9-5 job changed, and my perception of co-workers and management were still in tact. I learned how to be a team player and take criticism from football so the transition was not that bad. The hardest part of my job at 17 was staying fully focused on my computer task I had.The most enjoyable part of the job was sitting in on meetings and listening and watching how everyone conducted themselves.
Interestingly ...ok
Middle Management (Former Employee), USSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: poor internal communications amongst managers and down through direct reports.
Management focus to narrowly upon the wrong skill sets. You'll find continuous advertisements for techs on line. Due in part to a high turnover which means two things:

1. Inefficient selection of qualified employees

or

2. Use and toss out mentality. Projects complete...bye.

Other than that, not a great deal of care for the training and the lack of salespeople at this company is astounding. One would think that some degree of marketing would help drive revenue...
easy going, respectful work place
Quality Control Inspector / Lab Clerk (Former Employee), Duncan, SCAugust 27, 2013
I have worked at AFL on 3 different occasions in 2 different positions and my fiance has also worked for them on 2 different occasions for one position. The environment is laid back and respectful, the work isn't really that hard, the different buildings are up to date and situated to accommodate every employee. There is always something going on whether they're getting catered lunch or blood drives, SOMETHING to reward the employees and help the community is always going on. The HR department is very helpful and patient with employee requests, never while I was working there did I ever feel uncomfortable discouraged or threatened. The security measures and safety measures they take are all the newest fool proof technology. And every supervisor I've ever had has understood we're all human and always has said things to be uplifting and encouraging. All in All it was a great place to work, and I would go back again in a heart beat if I could!
A different kind of job
Organizing Apprentice/Organizer in Training (Former Employee), Topeka, KSJune 26, 2013
Pros: challenging, exciting, decent pay and benefits, wonderful if you're a true believer
Cons: office politics, work/life balance
Day in and day out, the labor movement marches forward. The workhorses of it are the Organizers. These are the men and women who work with the membership every day. It means long hours, hard conversations, a lot of travel, and sometimes very little rest. However, this is not a problem if it is something you believe in. When workers begin to realize their own power, and it is you that empowered them, there is hardly a better feeling in the world. Also, most of these organizations practice what they preach (good wages, benefits, and job security)

Now for the rough stuff. There are a lot more politics involved than almost any other job. You can and will come across some unscrupulous people, both in and out of the union itself. This is not always the most stable way to make a living either, so if you are the type of person who prefers a regular 9-5 job, you won't make it for very long. Sometimes days off can be few and far between (think 2-3 weeks sometimes). Also, you must be able to fight off burnout.

Overall, a decent employer, one I would certainly recommend to someone looking for an exciting, challenging, and rewarding career.
Disorganised and lack of leadership from management
Field Tech (Current Employee), Duncan, SCMay 2, 2013
Pros: provided some money
Cons: lack of training, poor leadership of management, never afull week of work
I worked for this outfit a couple of years and I saw that the management of the people in the field where less than organized, A lot of times the material needed to do the jobs where not ordered correctly or where not ordered till the day before a job started. This cause missed hours for many of the Field Techs. A lot of time there was little to no work and 40 hour work weeks where far and few.

They never really supplied any training except to the Techs that got cozy with the management and they where the ones that where never sent home or stayed home due to lack of work. If you did not become a part of the good old boys network then you where pretty well much hoping to have afew hours each week.

I would not recommend working in the field with this company if you are thinking about it since you will have no advancement or not much support from Management.

About AFL

AFL connects people and solutions to the communities we serve We manufacture, engineer and install the fiber optic products – Read more