After School Matters Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome
Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2016
I got a good experience working for after school matters and that experience has helped me grab a few jobs in the here and now.
An interesting work place with friendlt peers
Culinary Arts Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 29, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing a great recipe from creating food and making it over at home for my family. I learned multiple interesting recipes that I use on weekend and even holidays like zucchini boats, quiches, peach cobbler, quesadillas,etc.
Pros
Friendly peers
Cons
Didn't pay well
Pre-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2016
It is great. The people are kind and it is a safe environment. The day at work is long but fun. The most enjoyable part is finishing the project.
representative
Computer Representive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2016
Didn't really like the job due to it being so many people there asking questions and all the questions didn't get answered or over looked
Fun, enjoyable, innovative, and exciting.
Intern Youth Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2016
A typical day at After School Matters was fun. We would meet up every day after school and get taught how to play the sport for the cycle. We also followed a book with games and would add our own twists to make sure we kept the kids we taught engaged and having fun.

I learned how to better communicate with younger kids and to ask for help when I needed it.

Our coach was amazing! She was always full of energy and kept us motivated with not just the internship but with school as well.

My co workers were classmates and cousins we always showed up with a positive attitude. We were taught that if something bad happened outside of internship to leave that as soon as we walked in and to start fresh.

The hardest part of the job was teaching children the first few days. Eventually we all got the hang of it.

The whole experience was enjoyable! We all learned valuable skills like communication, teaching children, leading and tone of voice when instructing a game.
Love Love Love
Program Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2016
After School Matters is a culture of its own and has its ups and downs but it is a fun and creative place for kids who want to express their ideas and be who they want to be without any judgment
Pros
Creative enviorments
Cons
needs more recognition
fun workplace
performer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2016
It was a very good place to work and I would tell any teen that is just now working they should work there. We had fun but other days it was hard to work there but we got though it
Writers Assistant
WRITERS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2016
It was boring overall, but I was a Writers Assistant, which made it more interesting. I enjoyed the others who also worked there.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
no breaks
Relaxing learning environemnt with experienced artists
Mosaic Artist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2016
I would have to say that After School Matters is an amazing program to help high school students with jobs for the summer. It also helped me with my art skills. You can apply for other positions for where your skills apply to and I think that's an amazing aspect to have, cultured and mixed atmosphere.
Pros
Free luches, Friendly bosses
Cons
Extremely hot weather some days
Very Good Exprience
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2016
The employers are very kind and was very helpful to help me with task i was unsure about. The manager was very respectful and willing to listen to each employer patiently.
Pros
free lunches
productive and fun environment
INTERNSHIP GALLERY 37 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2016
fun and educational experience that allows you to branch out. instructors and faculty are respectful and caring, and will teach you all that they can in order to help you improve.
It was easy working with the children
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2016
Children are easy to work with I just had to realize that not all children were the same and had to approach them in different ways like I do with my siblings.
Pros
Good experience with kids
Cons
The job ended
Great work to work
Brown school mentor program (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2016
The job is demanding, but can be a great experience. need to get paperwork done, create a bond with children, create activities for children, act and be responsible around them, maintain a certain behavior. The job can seem easy but there's plenty of things that need to be done and yet allow yourself to not fail a child.
Pros
Work with great kids, work on social kills, work on manage time, and pay is not too bad
Cons
plenty of things need to get done within short peridos of time
Work Environment
Painter/stock (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2016
The work environment was very well put together. Groups of people working together to make artistic murals. It was a good program to get to know people in.
Very fun and informative work environment!
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2016
Everyday was a great and fun learning experience. Management was amazing. Love working with the co-workers I had. The most enjoyable part of our job was seeing the excitement of others when u finally and successfully teach them to swim. The hardest part was showing a lot of different people different ways because everybody didn't learn the same way, but it was something we overcame and all was well in the end.
Recreational Leader Apprenticeship
RECREATIONAL LEADER APPRENTICESHIP (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2016
It was a great program in which offered many ways to evolve as a person. It allowed me to practice my leadership skills and also to take responsibility.
Tennis Coach
Tennis coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2016
I worked with the tennis coach who hosted the program in instructing the kids involved. We taught the kids how to go through the many drills and activities.
Great experience and learning enviornment
Photographer apprentice (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2016
I liked the experience a lot. I learned new skills that will help me further myself in a career that I love. It was a temporary job but I liked my co-workers and the leadership was great.
Productuve but unsafe.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2016
Working in a place located in Englewood isn't what made it unsafe but in actuality it was the employees. They were very volatile and emotional which made the work incomplete. I was forced to complete most of everyone else's work in order to receive good review , which wasn't a problem in the long run. It's how I became supervisor.
Pros
Free lunch, and Helpful bosses.
Cons
Employee interaction.
Cjw
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2016
This company also played a major role in giving me the experience of developing processes. From financial analysis to financial controls, I was giving a diverse set of task that improved my business acumen.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at After School Matters. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4