Age of Learning, Inc Employee Reviews

Great place to do meaningful work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 20, 2017
Mission-driven, highly talented team building the future of education. Fast-growing, dynamic environment. The company has 600 staff now, but still maintains an entrepreneurial culture.
Poor quality culture and inept management at executive level
Middle management (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 13, 2017
It starts at the top and trickles down to the executive team.....they hire great staff, treat them terribly, and cover their backsides. Days and weeks are very long and the negative culture in the office sucks the life out of you. Human resources is a joke, nepotism is rampant, and executives are not nearly as smart as they think they are. A lot of money was spent to remodel the offices and they offer free coffee and soda. Holiday celebrations take place during your lunch hour but at least they provide the food. "Cake day" once a month is not worth the long line to wait for a piece of cake and doesn't make up for the negativity during the other 29 days of the month. If the executive team weren't so worried about hiding the truth from the top, many of the problems could be addressed and talented people would stay at the company longer.
Pros
Glendale location is good, free soda, stand up desks
Cons
long hours, no privacy, negative culture, poor management
Very fun place to work
MALL CART FACILITIES COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 8, 2017
I loved my job and was very sad when they dissolved my position. My coworkers were great. And the owners made the office a place you wanted to be by providing plenty of creature comforts
Upper management does not seem to care for us employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 25, 2017
It seems to have a somewhat high turnover for this type of company. Different product teams are soiled, and that creates a lot of "micro cultures. Some seem to have better working conditions than others.
Production timelines sometimes feel too hasty. It can be a bit frustrating from a creative standpoint sometimes to need to product content so quickly.
Pros
Health benefits, full-time.
Cons
Horrible environment to work in, management needs training Slanders employees.
Poor Communication
Customer Support II (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 12, 2017
Management played favorites. It was like high school all over again where people had their 'cliques.' Lack of communication as to who is assigned to do what job.
Pros
cake day and unlimited amount of ice cream
Cons
management!
Really Good Environment for Learning
Digital Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 4, 2017
During my course of time here, I've learned plenty from my line of work. The work environment is really friendly and the company hosts all sort of events and provide classes and opportunities for those willing to learn. For me there's no "hardest" aspect of the job. For me I feel obliged to complete my duties because the company gave employees a fair amount of benefits. My manager is also a very positive person with awesome work ethics. You'll feel happy working here and accomplishing a lot while at work!
QA Testers. Treated the same as everywhere else
QA Tester/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 20, 2017
Working here was a constant game. After paying your dues and working there for over a year, asking for any reviews for raises get swept under the rug or thrown on the back burner. QA team is too large, and people were hired who fool around instead of working. my experience at this place was pretty bad. No clue how some of these people get hired, don't work, and weren't let go after probation. A lot of new recruits just mess around, and would constantly be a distraction, were reported, and then were just moved to elsewhere in the company. It's like going to high school where they just put someone who doesn't work on time out for doing a terrible job. Also as a group we found out the newer recruits that veteran testers had to train were getting higher pay. The practices are shady, and the management was shotty. I loved working at this place, but once i saw it for what it was my eyes were opened. Stay away from this company. Company gives movie tickets and free food every now and then, but the compensation was really bad for a company with a great financial outlook.

Advice to Management
- Give your people a livable wage we shouldn't have to struggle in California while working at this place full-time when the company is now worth 1.5 billion dollars.
- Do a better job evaluating talent and giving constructional feedback to your employees to make them better, invest in your employees and they will invest to you.
- Hire people who can benefit the place and get rid of people who are Toxic influences. To many people are kept around who do nothing or distract co-workers with useless
  more... shenanigans.
- Do not pay new employees more than Veteran testers or employees. We always find out about the shenanigans eventually, QA is a tighter nit group than you think.
- Responsibility for the work paid needs to be more balanced if people are going to spend all their time working there.
- you cannot expect to keep Millennials around when you don't nourish their talents and promote individual career growth.
Pros
Company has great stability, No contract work, Steady work and the people who work in QA are friendly, Great benefits
Cons
low pay, training new hires who make more but are less experienced, management is horrible at talent evaluation, new opportunities dont really exist.
It's a good place!
STORYBOARD ARTIST / ATD (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 27, 2017
The company respects individual freedom and comfort. You wont
I really have nothing much to say except I really like the goal of the company. I am fascinated by how we wanted to educated people via all those fun and interactive learning experiences. The company has a great culture in that everyone is extremely friendly and respectful to each other. The management sometimes can seem confusing but people are definitely working their ways with each other to solve the problem together.
Great if you want to be micromanaged
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAOctober 17, 2016
I worked on multiple projects and often had to change priorities based on decisions which I had no visibility into.

Typically, I collaborated with multiple individuals as a part of a cross-functional team. I feel that the management needs to get on the floor and interact with employees more.

The hardest part was trying to figure out what will 'satisfy' or 'please' or 'align' with stakeholders who could have helped by planning better.

Most Enjoyable: Fact that its a ed-tech start-up, the office looks cool and people are amazing!
Pros
Fast growth, some no brainer jobs. I see this as a Pro since I see it as a human, who can get paid for not thinking alot.
Cons
MicroManagement and your opinion will be disregarded and depending on the manager, mostly with disrespect.
Exceptionally creative business doing great work for kids!
Writer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 30, 2016
The gentlemen I worked with were extremely collaborative and responsive to new ideas. Because I was a freelance writer, I was not directly in the offices -- however, I have total respect for the curriculum experts and others that work there. The product is proof that they all know what they're doing!
Great first job out of college
Audio Engineer (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAOctober 25, 2014
It is very exciting watching Age of Learning grow over the past couple years. It has been a great first job for me in further developing my skills in my career.
Exciting, growing company in great field
Senior Copywriter (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 4, 2014
Age of Learning is an online and digital education company, based in the Los Angeles area (Glendale) and focused on early childhood education. They're best known for the ABCmouse.com Early Learning Academy, which has many, many thousands of subscribers for home use and thousands of teachers using it in classrooms. It's also won lots of awards.

It's great to be working for a relatively small but already very successful company that's doing good work and doing good at the same time. We all know education needs some fixing and technology solutions are definitely part of the near-future solution. It feels good to be part of that.

Age of Learning has a great family feel to it; everyone is very welcoming and supportive. The HR team is super helpful. The founder & CEO is friendly and positive. Even though it's a very comfortable and relaxed environment to work, everyone is very smart, professional and dedicated. Haven't run into any of the office politics that can be an issue many places.

Because it's a fast-growing company there was a brief time where space was tight, but they've expanded their really nice office space in Glendale, so that's not an issue at all now. Very comfortable with a great view of the mountains from the 8th floor.
Pros
growing company, exciting field, doing good, talented coworkers, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
a long drive for me
Age of Learning
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Great for work experience. Very stressful environment. Friendly co-workers.
Pros
Free drinks, Milestone freebies, Nerf wars daily
Cons
Ridiculous deadlines, Low communication between Lower and Upper management.
Friendly people
PHP Programmer (Former Employee) –  GlendaleMay 19, 2012
Good and relaxed working evironment. The management is messed up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Age of Learning, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7