AICPA

AICPA Employer Reviews

Good job culture
MARKET & COMPETITIVE ANALYST (Former Employee), Durham, NCApril 16, 2014
Pros: independence, great job projects and programs
Cons: inexperienced management
Good company that accepts various cultures and backgrounds. Also, accepts people in their 40's and 50's.
Member Services
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee), Durham, NCMarch 20, 2014
A typical day involves answering questions regarding AICPA products, assisting members with locating products/services, placing orders for continuing education products and conferences.

Through the AICPA I have learned that the service experience I provide to our members can be the determining factor on whether they continue to allow us to have their – more... business. I always keep in mind that membership with the organization is voluntary and although we provide a unique and necessary service, if the member doesn't feel appreciated or has a band service experience they may not renew their membership the next year. – less
Good place to work if you aren't related to other employees
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 27, 2014
Depending on the department you work for, the environment is either very awesome or nothing but stress. I had a wonderful boss but I knew of other areas that were a bit harder to come to work with a smile everyday. Very family friendly outside of the company, but family members cannot be employed here. Laptops are standard so that you really don't have – more... to miss work if you can't make it into the building. – less
It depends whom you work for...
Coordinator (Current Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: free food and fun events
Cons: if your main responsibility is taking calls, you're tied to your desk all day
I love working for the AICPA. I have an amazing boss who trusts me to do my job in a manner I see fit. I have a spectacular team full of talented individuals that care to do their job well. Management is supportive and caring - they try their best to make the job fun and engaging.
Don't work in the Durham office unless you can't find a job anywhere else.
Contractor (Current Employee), Durham, NCDecember 26, 2013
Pros: for me, the easy commute and mostly good quality food in the cafeteria.
Cons: pretty much everything that matters in working a job.
I've been contracting here for several months and knew very early on that I wanted to leave. I took the job because the job market around here sucks and this was a very convenient location for me but I almost wish I would have stayed on unemployment. The department and manager I work for are by far the least impressive of my career. My manager and most – more... of the managers in the department seem to be that in name only. No skill what so ever and they have to meet for hours at a time, several times per week just to make decisions on the most simple things (like approving the images in a powerpoint presentation...not kidding). I also came to find out recently that just about all the people who have worked under my manager have had a lot of negative feedback about the experience. Lucky me...

There have been several instances when my manager, who is barely ever in the office for a solid week, ends up forgetting about a deadline and piles a whole bunch of new work onto me at the last minute, and then takes credit for it after I'm done. Many of the managers here hide behind office jargon and meaningless questions they like to call "active listening" to cover for the fact that they don't know what they're talking about. The culture promotes "lacky-ism," incompetence and inefficiency with a system of overly complicated approval structures, pointless policies and an aversion to confrontational interaction that makes it impossible to recognize and weed out people that shouldn't be in their jobs. The technology here is also very backwards and disorganized.

Add to this the fact that I'm seldom kept busy enough to fill my days or given work appropriate to my level of experience and the result is me spending at least a portion of every day combing the job boards. I have been asked more than once about my interest in applying for full-time opportunities in my department but have declined because I really can't see myself lasting here past the original term of my contract. If you're thinking about working here, do yourself a favor and try to talk to other employees at your level in the company first...and not through the manager interviewing you or HR. Get honest feedback before you make a decision to leave another job. Some departments may be better than others (if you notice, all the negative reviews on this site are about the Durham office). I know of people here who have left their jobs without having another one lined up. That should tell you something. – less
AICPA was a fun place to work, I was included in the meetings to improve productivity and my opinions were sometimes used.
Pre-batch Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCOctober 29, 2013
Pros: i was able to schedule my work, i wrote the training manuel and trained the temporary personnel who worked with me.
Cons: breaks and lunches were not scheduled, sometimes i had to go early before eleven and some times after twelve, on busy days i did not get a break.
My job at AICPA was very good I worked with very nice people and I enjoyed it. I would work very hard about six months of the year. Sometimes I had to work overtime; but I like to get the job done no matter what it takes. Most of our clients paid by check and I would record and prepare checks for deposit. Sometimes I had as many as 850 checks in a day.

I – more... had to make sure checks were made out to AICPA, that the date and that the amount was correct. I would log the checks and prepare them for deposit.

The checks were for conferences, membership, meetings, training, etc.
The good part about the job was I had about six months when the pace was not so hard. – less
Worst employee friendly company I've ever worked for
Manager (Former Employee), Durham, NCJuly 21, 2013
Pros: thinking ...
Cons: environment, treatment by management, pay, hours
I've been at the AICPA for almost 2 years and I have to say it is the worst place I've ever worked. All they care about is revenue ... and they're not-for-profit??? Employees are treated like easily replaceable pieces in the leaderships' chess game. The pay is at least 15% below industry standard; you are expected to be on call 24/7; and the number – more... one focus is sucking up to membership, state societies, and the authors/instructors of AICPA CPE courses. If you have any self-respect, stay away from the AICPA. – less
Great organization to work for.
Oracle database processor (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 23, 2013
I did data entry and management for their oracle database on contract for 6 months. It is a pretty well rounded business.
Good atmosphere and worklife balance.
Associate Manager, Corporate Alliances (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 13, 2013
Pros: friendly coworkers
Cons: no sick days
Lots of opportunity to take the lead on projects. If you like to create roadmaps for projects and then implement them, this is the place for you.
NO Leadership - POOR Management
CPE Team (Former Employee), Durham, NCMarch 20, 2013
Pros: there are a lot of good people who work there
Cons: management and resources (or lack thereof)
Management is completely incompetent. Those who know how to lead are let go. Those who don't know how to manage are promoted.

There is no stability. If you enjoy insanity and constant change, you will love it there! Good luck!
IT is only politics and very unprofessional
Ex Employee (Former Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: great retirement benefits and 401k match
Cons: politics, unprofessionalism, favorism
The Information Technology team is the worst of all the departments and one of the worst in this area. The employees have realized now and started taking actions. As someone mentioned its the time, they started leaving... We have more than three more this week after already many more earlier resignations indicating the incapable IT management. The perks – more... are very good but your growth and getting 4-5 promotions in line - at least one every year depends on how close you are with the management or else get demotions too.... No kidding... Lot of frustrations among employees and now is the result. Sorry to say but had to leave this wonderful Organization for the IT Management only. May the Senior Management look into it and stop this to save the company or else the days are not far when we see more than 50% out because of just the IT management.

Good that you learn handling situations, you learn politics which is a plus and helpful for any future needs. Many Oracle modules implemented. Good learning for Oracle resources.

The hardest part of the job was you are on and off a task and you dont know the reason.

Co-workers are really nice. The other departments are cooperative.

The IT Management is not up to the mark and results in lot of frustrations among employees.

Ego is too high among the management. They can go beyond imagination for the sake of their ego.

The HR is great. – less
Work there only if you desperately need a job
Temp employee (Former Employee), DurhamJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: free fancy coffee/tea
Cons: workplace politics
Favorites are definitely made by upper management. Some supers can't be bothered to do their job. Some temps get chosen to stay who don't necessarily deserve it while others are let go.
Productive and educatonal
Grading Associate/Team Coordinator (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJJanuary 10, 2013
Busy, I have grown from a clerk to Productions. My co-workers were great to work with everyone was a team player.
Terrible place to work
Member Service Specialist II (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 5, 2013
This one was of the most stressful jobs I've ever had. I wouldn't recommend anyone working for them in the SCO department.

Guest – January 16, 2013

Indeed the most stressful job for real. And they have special people they favor and if you are not one of their favorites, you will be leaving even if you knew what you were doing. no matter how hard you work, it was not apprciated for the food on every occassion paid it out i guess.

This place is a joke and extremely unprofessional!
Former employee (Former Employee), Durham, NCDecember 30, 2012
Pros: free catered meals
Cons: work environment especially for temps
Management is incompetent. They do not care at all about creating a professional work environment. The 'I don't care' attitude of the upper management is ridiculous and unbeleivable. Overall morale is low at this company (the durham, NC location) and the vibe is cold and fake. Run! Run!
Best work experience
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 15, 2012
Worked as Quality Assurance Manager for CPA2Biz, Inc. which provides B2B, Accounting courses and e-Commerce services on line for AICPA members Worked on Accounting ERP web portal projects such as Microsoft's b-Central, CPA2Biz Portal, B2B Pilot- and corporate web site.
Run away from this place
Member Service Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCSeptember 3, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: office politics
I would not wish this place on my worst enemy. I worked in the member services unit for about a year. Management is cold and unfriendly. Their idea of advancement is not the person who is most qualified but the person they like the most. The advancement opportunities are slim to none. The supervisors are not very knowledgeable and I depended solely – more... on other co-workers for any type of assistance. Their job review process is terrible. It's almost as if they make it up as they go. If you see an open position for this company, just move along. – less

fearofretaliation – September 27, 2012

This person's comments are 100% accurate. What is described is pervasive through out the entire company. And employees are leaving in droves. And those left behind are dying to be next to leave.

– November 16, 2012

I agree with the comments made here. There is a lay off and hiring for the same position which is laid off. Is that not a joke? Don't get into all this. I heard this from my friend who works there.

Resigned – November 21, 2012

The Information Technology is full of Spams. In the last few weeks, there were more than 8(eight) employees who left the company and now the company is showing lay offs to compensate that. The HR does not look at the real issues and supports the IT management which is either blind or avoids to look at the real issues. The Employees on VISA are sacked there. The guys with VISA are also threatened of dire consequences. The IT Consulting Company culture is floating here. The Employees are harassed until they move out.

A very fulfilling place to work and a great group of employees to work with
Accounting Clerk III (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXAugust 24, 2012
Pros: many enjoyable luncheons were furnished during the year
Cons: there were no breaks
the job was rewarding and enjoyed working with all the different states

the co-workers were very easy to work with and everyone got along

management was very willing to help in making your job more productive and were willing to offer additional training if needed

the hardest part of the job was not being able to collect past due accounts that were – more... out of the country

the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with each of the different departments and learn what their jobs entailed – less
Workplace
State Society Coordinator (Former Employee), Durham, NCAugust 23, 2012
Overall, I think it was a good company, but they were just starting out and had a lot of kinks. Also, a lot of the advancement was on a "who I like" and "who I know" kind of basis.
AICPA
Freelance Video Production (Current Employee), Jersey City, NJJuly 30, 2012
Pros: free luches
Cons: non
Great company to work for, very friendly employees. Easy and laid back work environment with a get it done attitude. Could not ask for any thing more from an employer.