AICPA Employee Reviews

Unprofessional and old fashioned senior managers and up
Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham NCMay 4, 2015
Total waste of time. Had 11 interviews to get the job and worked with senior managers who lacked leadership. Way too into office politics and who is CC'd on emails and who isn't. Beware! They are really old school and like it that way (hate sounding like an ageist).

No room for growth — everyone is a manager. No raises. A lot of time is spent on process and not on producing good content.
Pros
Some good folks.
Cons
Horrible upper management lacking onboarding skills for new hires.
....smoke and mirrors...
Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 12, 2015
A good place to work - work life balance is good. Talented colleagues - limited opportunities for advancement. Good evironment, few extended hours - ok office environment -antiquated tech tools/non existent.Ok benefits..Short term endeavor at best.
Pros
On site dining
Cons
No tech tools
entry level associate advisor (Former Employee) –  durham ncMay 18, 2016
Typical Day would consist of going in and start working on memberships on different applicants for the company making sure all information in the system that corresponded to their applications that they sent in were correct.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
wanted soemthing else
IT is only politics and very unprofessional
Ex Employee (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 11, 2013
The Information Technology team is the worst of all the departments and one of the worst in this area. The employees have realized now and started taking actions. As someone mentioned its the time, they started leaving... We have more than three more this week after already many more earlier resignations indicating the incapable IT management. The perks are very good but your growth and getting 4-5 promotions in line - at least one every year depends on how close you are with the management or else get demotions too.... No kidding... Lot of frustrations among employees and now is the result. Sorry to say but had to leave this wonderful Organization for the IT Management only. May the Senior Management look into it and stop this to save the company or else the days are not far when we see more than 50% out because of just the IT management.

Good that you learn handling situations, you learn politics which is a plus and helpful for any future needs. Many Oracle modules implemented. Good learning for Oracle resources.

The hardest part of the job was you are on and off a task and you dont know the reason.

Co-workers are really nice. The other departments are cooperative.

The IT Management is not up to the mark and results in lot of frustrations among employees.

Ego is too high among the management. They can go beyond imagination for the sake of their ego.

The HR is great.
Pros
great retirement benefits and 401k match
Cons
politics, unprofessionalism, favorism
Run away from this place
Member Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 3, 2012
I would not wish this place on my worst enemy. I worked in the member services unit for about a year. Management is cold and unfriendly. Their idea of advancement is not the person who is most qualified but the person they like the most. The advancement opportunities are slim to none. The supervisors are not very knowledgeable and I depended solely on other co-workers for any type of assistance. Their job review process is terrible. It's almost as if they make it up as they go. If you see an open position for this company, just move along.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
office politics
Manual testing, moving toward automation
QA Team Lead, Contract (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 19, 2015
Great place to work, loved the atmosphere and my management. Great defect tracking tools. QA was part of the design coordination.
A great place to work
Call Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 14, 2015
This is an amazing place to work. All of the employees up to management really care you. They want to see you exceed and continue to develop the organization.
A very fulfilling place to work and a great group of employees to work with
Accounting Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXAugust 24, 2012
the job was rewarding and enjoyed working with all the different states

the co-workers were very easy to work with and everyone got along

management was very willing to help in making your job more productive and were willing to offer additional training if needed

the hardest part of the job was not being able to collect past due accounts that were out of the country

the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with each of the different departments and learn what their jobs entailed
Pros
many enjoyable luncheons were furnished during the year
Cons
there were no breaks
Worst employee friendly company I've ever worked for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 21, 2013
I've been at the AICPA for almost 2 years and I have to say it is the worst place I've ever worked. All they care about is revenue ... and they're not-for-profit??? Employees are treated like easily replaceable pieces in the leaderships' chess game. The pay is at least 15% below industry standard; you are expected to be on call 24/7; and the number one focus is sucking up to membership, state societies, and the authors/instructors of AICPA CPE courses. If you have any self-respect, stay away from the AICPA.
Pros
Thinking ...
Cons
Environment, treatment by management, pay, hours
AICPA was a fun place to work, I was included in the meetings to improve productivity and my opinions were sometimes used.
Pre-batch Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 29, 2013
My job at AICPA was very good I worked with very nice people and I enjoyed it. I would work very hard about six months of the year. Sometimes I had to work overtime; but I like to get the job done no matter what it takes. Most of our clients paid by check and I would record and prepare checks for deposit. Sometimes I had as many as 850 checks in a day.

I had to make sure checks were made out to AICPA, that the date and that the amount was correct. I would log the checks and prepare them for deposit.

The checks were for conferences, membership, meetings, training, etc.
The good part about the job was I had about six months when the pace was not so hard.
Pros
I was able to schedule my work, I wrote the training manuel and trained the temporary personnel who worked with me.
Cons
Breaks and lunches were not scheduled, sometimes I had to go early before eleven and some times after twelve, On busy days I did not get a break.

Want to know more about AICPA?

Ask a question
Member Services
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 20, 2014
A typical day involves answering questions regarding AICPA products, assisting members with locating products/services, placing orders for continuing education products and conferences.

Through the AICPA I have learned that the service experience I provide to our members can be the determining factor on whether they continue to allow us to have their business. I always keep in mind that membership with the organization is voluntary and although we provide a unique and necessary service, if the member doesn't feel appreciated or has a band service experience they may not renew their membership the next year.
It depends whom you work for...
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 16, 2014
I love working for the AICPA. I have an amazing boss who trusts me to do my job in a manner I see fit. I have a spectacular team full of talented individuals that care to do their job well. Management is supportive and caring - they try their best to make the job fun and engaging.
Pros
Free food and fun events
Cons
If your main responsibility is taking calls, you're tied to your desk all day
Work there only if you desperately need a job
Temp employee (Former Employee) –  DurhamJanuary 24, 2013
Favorites are definitely made by upper management. Some supers can't be bothered to do their job. Some temps get chosen to stay who don't necessarily deserve it while others are let go.
Pros
free fancy coffee/tea
Cons
workplace politics
This place is a joke and extremely unprofessional!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 30, 2012
Management is incompetent. They do not care at all about creating a professional work environment. The 'I don't care' attitude of the upper management is ridiculous and unbeleivable. Overall morale is low at this company (the durham, NC location) and the vibe is cold and fake. Run! Run!
Pros
free catered meals
Cons
work environment especially for temps
Good job culture
MARKET & COMPETITIVE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 16, 2014
Good company that accepts various cultures and backgrounds. Also, accepts people in their 40's and 50's.
Pros
Independence, great job projects and programs
Cons
Inexperienced management
NO Leadership - POOR Management
CPE Team (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 20, 2013
Management is completely incompetent. Those who know how to lead are let go. Those who don't know how to manage are promoted.

There is no stability. If you enjoy insanity and constant change, you will love it there! Good luck!
Pros
there are a lot of good people who work there
Cons
management and resources (or lack thereof)
Good place to work if you aren't related to other employees
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 27, 2014
Depending on the department you work for, the environment is either very awesome or nothing but stress. I had a wonderful boss but I knew of other areas that were a bit harder to come to work with a smile everyday. Very family friendly outside of the company, but family members cannot be employed here. Laptops are standard so that you really don't have to miss work if you can't make it into the building.
Overall a good place to work
Strategy Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 17, 2014
Flexible work arrangements depend on the team, great work colleagues, dedicated staff. A "work hard, play hard" mentality
Workplace
State Society Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 23, 2012
Overall, I think it was a good company, but they were just starting out and had a lot of kinks. Also, a lot of the advancement was on a "who I like" and "who I know" kind of basis.
For the Contractor, fairly high stress environment
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 3, 2015
The project that I was involved with at this company was high profile, and high importance. Thus, getting the work done quickly and accurately was important. However, contractors were discouraged from putting in the extra hours that seemed necessary to keep the project on track.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AICPA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6