Aimco Employee Reviews

They Need To Stand By Their Values Not Just Preach Them
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2016
Review and summary title speaks for itself! No onboarding, they make it sound like you work 35 hours a week and you def do not! They tell you everything is great and easy because of this centralized office. They might be a great company if you have never worked in property management before, otherwise I do not recommend! You cant press a button without needing someones approval.. No way to run a business or a property!
Pros
Pretty Good Pay, Free Manager Apartment, Apartment Discount
Cons
No work life balance, no freedom to make your own decision, micromanagement, alot of turnover
Low income housing. Not use to working for that type of lower class clientel
Community Manager, Pinebrook Apartments (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 18, 2012
Enjoyed the propety itself, the managmentement copany and my co-workers. The residents were a little harder with no respect to manangment. Overall, just not a good fit for ME. I like to be around positive people. I'm not one to be negative about any positions I have held. So to sum in up, it was just not a good fit for me personally.
Pros
salary, co-workers and upper management
Cons
again, residents did not respect management
Great place to work near home
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAJanuary 16, 2013
I loved my position as a property manager. The fact that I helped people in need of residency gave me pride when I leased them their apartment. My coworkers were wonderful and we got along very well.
The hardest part of this job was when I had to evict tenants,

My 21years working at Verizon began as New York Telephone. I was an overseas operator then moved on to customer service representative where I got all my experience. I loved meeting and talking to all different types of people and dealing with big corporations.
Pros
traveled to many places
Cons
great benefits
Great place to work.
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 20, 2016
This was my first job in property management. It was a long time ago, but I remember I loved it. They always did fun contests and created friendly competition amongst sister properties. They were a reasonable company and paid well from what I can remember.
Challenging and Rewarding
Leasing Manager II (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 28, 2015
Challenging and rewarding company to work for.
Growth potential is available for those with great work ethic.
Competitve pay with health benefits.
Volunteer opportunities within company.
Personal development within company.
Pros
growth potential
Cons
work / life balance
Great company
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GASeptember 16, 2015
AIMCO was a great company to work for. I left because both of the properties that I worked at were being sold and I thought it might be good to make a change to something new.
Pros
Working with people, good benefits, bonus opportunities
Great people - bad compensation
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 7, 2012
I, overall, enjoy to work here: great people, great culture/values. However, since 2008, the company decreased dramatically, leaving no chances for advancement in many areas... The compensation package below industry average by 10-12%
Pros
free coffee, great people and culture
Cons
horrible compensation and advancement perspectives
Ok place to work to get into leasing for independent workers and self starters.
Leasing Agent-Part Time Position (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 24, 2012
No benefits for part time or temps, unclear commission scale stucture, uniforms for agents, great upper manangement/corporate,
Pros
downtown location, convenience, potential for growth for entry level
Cons
liimited locations(2), no medical ins for part time <32 hours week, no job security
Do it if you have to
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  PhillyAugust 3, 2015
It is an ok company but you are a number and no one really cares about you as a human being. The pay is ok but they cut back from 40 hours a week to 35 for hourly employees just to save money. They didn't care what impact this had on staff.
Pros
Benefits are ok
Cons
Too many to write
Assistant Manager/Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 26, 2016
I began my career in multi-family with AIMCO and they gave me the knowmledge which led me into my further career with another company to become a regional.
Pros
Benchmark strength
Cons
Sundays
Caution: Don't Work Here If You Value Your Happiness!
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLAugust 31, 2011
I worked for this company and found quickly that I loved it! I love property management!! Soon after I started in the Tampa area in 2006, I found out however that I was in the minority of company supporters. I had several friends who had worked for the company and warned me of its changed direction. Needing the job, I stayed and pushed through the drama. I lost several friends that were Property Managers to other companies and even a Regional Manager; they were replaced with ruthless and emotionless bog trolls. When I transferred areas to Orlando, I had a renewed sense of pride in my company. Maybe it *was* just the local team leaders in Tampa. Oh no. The economy tanked and we lost all Orlando leadership to be usurped by the Tampa leadership again. Great. They get you to do their dirty work, treat you horribly, don't recognize your obvious achievements and then insult you with further "slave labor." I lost even more friends on entry level, property management and even top level Learning and Development Managers to other companies. They let me go because they eliminated my position (which I do understand happens) but when I applied for Unemployment Benefits, they countered my claim stating that I was terminated for cause! WOW!
Pros
many great customers, lots of variety, high turnover allows for advancement
Cons
high turnover, long hours, no care for personal life, lack of compensation
Working with AIMCO was a very exciting place to work
Roving Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2012
A typical day working at AIMCO was a little different everyday because I was usually at different properties but I usually would walk property inside and out daily, check and return emails, daily meeting with the staff, evaluate and rate staff quarterly for awards or pay raises, taking care of residents issues/conflicts, schedule resident events or parties, answer and return phone calls, conference calls, Manage/Train other managers (Mentor), get mail, pay bills, collect rent, send out late notices, Certification/Recertification, create and follow budget, buy all property supplies, process applications, credit & criminal check, communicate and schedule vendors, send out infraction letters, eviction letters/court, move in and move out residents, schedule turnovers, meet deadlines.

Being able to travel to so many different properties, I had the chance to learn so much more about the Property Management business.

The management team was one of the best supportive teams I ever had a chance to work with along with the co-workers.

The hardest part was when I arrived at a property and not knowing what issues were happening with that particular property.

The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to meet a lot of new and exciting people.
Pros
i was able to travel around the midwest.
Cons
being away from my family for a long period of time
Can't Remember
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Hummelstown, PAJune 16, 2016
It has been a really long time since i worked for this company. Cannot remember much of staff or my experience there. Can't say either way if it was a good work enviornment or not. Mostly remember I was paid well & given a good severance package when I left company.
Great co workers
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMarch 20, 2014
great training and management with great co workers. Great benefits and defined follow up with great courses for advancement.
Pros
great training
Great Place to work
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2012
Great Benefits,Great Management, Great Opportunities. I don't have anything bad to say about this company. Still wish I worked for them but most of the properties sold in 2009.
Cons
most of the properties sold in 2009
Aimco needs a major overhaul
Executive Assistant / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2016
The company doesn't listen to their employees, management think that they know everything. The corporate culture is terrible. In the Chicago area, they let the residents run the resident office. That is whats wrong with their affordable properties in Chicago. Management take the resident's side and doesn't support their employees or the management team.
not friendly employees
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  plainsboro NJSeptember 4, 2013
long work hours and not enough pay no benefits because they only hire as temps!
Pros
discount on rent if live in communities
Cons
low pay long hours
Great Place to Work
Resident Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 3, 2016
I love working for AIMCO. I have grown in a personal level and professional level as well. My coworkers are great to work with. My personal life - with my work life is very balanced out.
Great Company. I miss working for them
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 31, 2013
This was my first leasing job. They provided excellent training for 2 weeks and the commission structure was really great.
I had an awesome property manager
Pros
Great training, Compensation
Cons
High turnover at the corporate level
Residents are like family!
Doorman (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2016
The residents at the building where I was previously employed were the best people any doorman could ask for. Through the years there, I was blessed to have known such caring and beautiful people who considered me as part of their family. I will forever remember and cherish the years I spent there.
Pros
Residents are like family, they are so warm and friendly
Cons
Superintendent does not live in the building and is slow to respond to service requests

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aimco. Our community is ready to answer.