AIMCO

AIMCO Employer Reviews

Terrible Experience with Aimco!!
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), Towson, MdApril 5, 2013
Pros: good starting rate, i had awesome co workers, nice benefits
Cons: property is a dump, hard to sale, manily a college community, upper management is cruel and sets you up to fail, 35 hr work week
I was brand new to leasing. I started last June during peak season. Please spare yourself the stress and stay away from the Colony at Kenilworth in towson. My co workers and I received NO formal training and were left to figure things out. You feel like a idot when a resident walks in and you can't answer there question because you were not trained. – more... Since it is mostly college kids that office is crazy from april-aug. You work sooo hard you barely have time to think! The month of august is the hardest month! We did about 15-20 move in's per day. Most of the students are rude and immature. They make the leasing process hard then you have to deal with their rude parents who baby them! That office has the highest turn over rate so do not get to attached. During the busy season management will beg you to come in on days and work over time! However once its the slow season you can ONLY work 35 hours per week. Which really cuts into your pay. Also the commission structure is terrible. Upper management once promised us $100 dollars per lease and that never happened! On top of it being a college community. The place is literally falling apart. It was bulit in 67 and the last update was done in 68. The grounds look awful your marketing path is sooo embarrassing. They do not have a "model" apartment so you have to show prospects the actual apartment which usally looks and smells bad. Go and look at the reviews they are terrible. The community has serious maintenance issues, bed bugs, roaches, mold! I constantly heard terrible stories from residents that were suffering. The company did nothing for them and does not care! I heard other Aimco properties are not that bad. So please stay away from the Colony!!!!!!! – less
AIMCO is a career oportunity company.
None (Former Employee), noneMarch 23, 2013
Pros: good health benefits.
Cons: relocations.
Hi, I am Simon and i can only say that AIMCO has created jobs for individuals who in bad economic times are being able to sustain their daily supporting lives and there families even in Puerto Rico where i am from. Great Company'
Career Russian Roulette
Senior Director of Construction (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2013
Pros: big company
Cons: bad work culture
Awful experience at this company. Manager ranted and yelled at people like a child, very dishonest person. Company was under litigation in the bay area under the same manager for pitting racial groups against each other, ultimately being sued for it.

Subcontractors I had at other firms for over 14 years, refused to do work for this company because – more... they burned up relationships and did not pay bills timely.

Decentralized human resources put people in jeopardy of no representation. Immoral horrible, very divisive, nasty group of people.

Worst organizations I have ever worked for. High Turnover. – less
Diverse and Engaging Workplace
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), Lexington, KYMarch 4, 2013
I learned a lot here and had the opportunity to engage many different types of people.
very professional work enviornment
TELEPHONE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Greenbelt, MDMarch 1, 2013
typical day check messages return calls,view daily goal and specials,answer telephones and deliver messages. I learned proper phone ettiquette. Management was encouraging and determined. very motivational. My coworkers were very compettitive. Hardest part was taking a break with knowing how much work was there for me to accomplish.The most enjoyable – more... part was just knowing that i helped someone throughout the day. – less
A job that gets the bills paid
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: decent pay, learning about real estate industry
Cons: open 7 days a week, bonus structure
My job consist of helping everyone with their job plus accomplishing what I need to get done in a timely manner. I have learned how to observe different peoples personalities. The management is ok. I love my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is telling someone they are do not qualify to move to my property. The most enjoyable is providing someone – more... with a home. – less
Wish Management were more hands- on
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 19, 2013
Enjoyed the actual job however, rarely saw management. More like a number that a name. They really could have benefited from listening to the employees more.
A good company to work for.
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: beautiful property
Cons: slightly micro manged
AIMCO was a good company to work for. Lots of room for advancement.
first 3 years at company, it was great; corporate made changes making it hard to have work/life balance
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee), College park,MDFebruary 10, 2013
Pros: seeing smile on someone's face when helping them find a new home
Cons: work/life balance
A typical day at work included posting rent, managing leasing staff, reviewing daily availability report, leading an informative tour of community.
I learned how to be assertive and firm but fair.
My coworkers were awesome to work with, we were like family and worked together in helping each other obtain sales goals.
The hardest part of the job would – more... be having to evict someone when you have tried your best helping them and they have children.
most enjoyable part of the job is when an application is approved and you see the look of "THANK YOU" on someone's face – less
wonderful job
SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Boynton Beach, FLJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: excellent company
Cons: few job openings
They are an excellent company. They have good benifits. I would work for them again. I have applied to jobs with them since I left.
Great place to work near home
Property Manager (Former Employee), Stroudsburg, PAJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: traveled to many places
Cons: great benefits
I loved my position as a property manager. The fact that I helped people in need of residency gave me pride when I leased them their apartment. My coworkers were wonderful and we got along very well.
The hardest part of this job was when I had to evict tenants,

My 21years working at Verizon began as New York Telephone. I was an overseas operator then – more... moved on to customer service representative where I got all my experience. I loved meeting and talking to all different types of people and dealing with big corporations. – less
Web based orientated
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee), Burke, VADecember 15, 2012
Pros: bonus are good, starbux points
Cons: benefits are not that great...401k is not matched by employer
Fasted paced work environment at times very stressful and difficult balancing work and home life.
Run fast overworked and underappreciated
leasing (Current Employee), chicagoDecember 6, 2012
Pros: decent pay
Cons: no support from upper management
Poor senior management RPM's are horrible in the chicago area. Currenly employed and looking else where hoping to land a position with a company that cares about people and respects team members.
A Nice Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Yardley, PANovember 28, 2012
Pros: days off for birthdays and anniversaries
Cons: short notices when a major project is due
My years with AIMCO were good ones. My co workers were hard workers and we got along.....most of the time. Servicing the residents while were there was rewarding and interesting as well. Kinda sad that the property was sold to another.
Working with AIMCO was a very exciting place to work
Roving Property Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2012
Pros: i was able to travel around the midwest.
Cons: being away from my family for a long period of time
A typical day working at AIMCO was a little different everyday because I was usually at different properties but I usually would walk property inside and out daily, check and return emails, daily meeting with the staff, evaluate and rate staff quarterly for awards or pay raises, taking care of residents issues/conflicts, schedule resident events or – more... parties, answer and return phone calls, conference calls, Manage/Train other managers (Mentor), get mail, pay bills, collect rent, send out late notices, Certification/Recertification, create and follow budget, buy all property supplies, process applications, credit & criminal check, communicate and schedule vendors, send out infraction letters, eviction letters/court, move in and move out residents, schedule turnovers, meet deadlines.

Being able to travel to so many different properties, I had the chance to learn so much more about the Property Management business.

The management team was one of the best supportive teams I ever had a chance to work with along with the co-workers.

The hardest part was when I arrived at a property and not knowing what issues were happening with that particular property.

The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to meet a lot of new and exciting people. – less

local – December 7, 2012

You are living in a fanasty world if you really believe that! Outside of the pay Aimco is horrible. And if your not a CM or above you dont matter.

Don't Believe the Positive NY reviews
Senior Directror of Construction (Former Employee), NY, NYOctober 19, 2012
Pros: decent pay
Cons: sweat shop, horrible management, mandatory junk software, very poor quality
BEWARE - the NYC construction version of AIMCO is a sweat shop, very badly managed and uses very non-standard software and poor contracts. Your hands are also tied re acq/using decent GCs. They talk a decent game but the reality is they don't care about Quality, they just want it done quickly and the cheapest way possible. I was hired and quit after – more... 3 months. Regardless of the pay (which is decent) the working conditions are very poor and it's just not worth the effort. Also historically there is no job security at this out-of-state REIT. – less
Good Intentions
Collections/Finances / Leasing Consultant (Current Employee), Jacksonville FLOctober 13, 2012
Pros: meet new people
Cons: micro managed
AIMCO is a state of the art Property Managment company, however they are incredibly micro managed, which can be a good thing internally and a bad thing for on site decision holders.
Aimco is a productive and fun place to work and my team members are great!
Office Manager / Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 7, 2012
Pros: fun team events events provided by aimco
Cons: health insurance package could be better
A typical day at Aimco consists of heavy contact with residents via in-person office visits, telephone or email to resolve resident issues which include apartment repairs, key replacement, answering questions about rent ledgers, and move-outs, move-ins. A day may also consist of inspecting a building or unit, conduct an evicition, attend a court hearing, – more... process invoices, approve purchase orders, oversee a capital project, meet with sales team, prepare budgets, and ensure that we are compliant with Aimco standards. At Aimco, I have learned everything from A to Z about Operations and Property Management. Starting out as a resident relations specialist, moving up to office manager, working closely with high level executives of the company, and working "hands on" has been a valuable learning and work experience. The most difficult part of the job is handling difficult residents and performing evictions. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing customer service and having a satisified customer as the end result. – less
Disappointed
Senior Paralegal/Assistant Secretary (Former Employee), washington D.C.September 14, 2012
Worked there but was very disapointed. The General Counsel at the time lied to me. He hired me knowing that the legal dept was moving to Colorado.
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee), Burke, VAAugust 30, 2012
Pros: learning opportunity
Cons: management
They were a good company! Very helpful in learning and getting you the training you needed for progress in the company! Well organized!

About AIMCO

AIMCO Properties' aim is true. The company is the operating arm of multifamily real estate giant Apartment Investment and Management – Read more