Air Methods Corporation

Air Methods Corporation Employee Reviews

Avoid this company
Technician (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 15, 2014
I worked for this company as an Aircraft Technician for about 3 years.
The Technicians are treated like slaves and abused. This companies answer to nearly every problem they encounter or create themselves starts with three words, "have the mechanics...________" (fill in the blank).

I saw this company waste literally millions on bad management decisions yet they will make your life miserable if you need something to do your job. As a Technician you will find yourself ever increasingly doing tasks that have nothing to do with your core and most critical duties.

I can safely say I was one of their better employees and I corrected many issues with their aircraft and it's documentation while I worked there. The aircraft under my care were left in better condition than I found them. That's a fact. The first day on the job I determined the helicopter was not technically airworthy as I found it. The point is I did a good job for them as an employee, definitely above average with a significantly higher than average productivity percentage.
When I voluntarily resigned from the company in good standing, they treated me like a jilted bride and sought to harm me anyway they could, savagely dismissing my work record and contributions as well as the circumstances (personal, family) that caused me to resign.

They made significant deductions from my final pay that were essentially unjust and illegal but I could not afford to hire a lawyer to fight this.
Pros
lots of job openings at numerous locations across the country.
Cons
petty, vindictive, soulless bureuacracy, huge potential liability exposure for pilots & techs. many more cons too numerous to list...
Overall Good
CNC Operator (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 21, 2015
You arrive to work see where your machine is at and plug away at a waiting work load.

The Good: The Company is well organized and has fairly new machines most of them less than 5 years old. They pay well and allow plenty of overtime. The tooling and equipment is top notch. All programs are pulled from the same place and comes with a set-up sheet with any notes taken for the previous runs. An excellent group of employees who are actually qualified for the work they are doing.

The Bad: As with most "well oiled machines", there are a number of things that slip through the cracks. Missing dimensions on blueprint, over sites in the programming department, frequent changes in procedures from both inspections and engineering, zero stock production to reduce constant demand from the machine shop, zero scrap allowance, an unwillingness to change faults in "proven programs", more overtime than you asked for . For the most part this is easy to overlook, the only reason I'm looking for other employment opportunities is the extremely long contract period and the lack of worker befits such as health insurance or vacation/sick time while under contract. 9 months in and it is not even up for discussed yet. Covering medical, dental, and optical out of pocket for a year to a year and a half while awaiting hire is absolutely unacceptable to me.
Base environment a productive one
Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJuly 27, 2013
My day started by checking in with the crew (medical and Aviation) to find out any issues that may have been encountered over night or the weekend. I then checked the aircraft, aircraft records and inspection sheets to make sure the aircraft had no upcoming inspections or tracked the next inspections due. I ensured the aircraft was clean and airworthy at the beginning of each day. I ensured base maintenance work area, storage area, base consumables were clean and not expired. The company management has a goal to be safe and a culture of safety, but has a limited supporting effort for mechanic's. I had great personal relationships with all persons at the base. There was no problem we could not solve among ourselves. The hardest part of the job of the job was getting the support of the management in performing some tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships formed and cooperation between the medical crew and the pilots at the base.
POST OPERATIVE CARE
Flight RN (Current Employee) –  SELKIRK NYFebruary 23, 2015
A typical day of work would be to take over the care of a post operative patient that is waking up confused from a surgery that they don't remember falling asleep for. Stabilize the patient and transfer the patient to the floor or home. Educating the patient if there are specific instructions to go home with as well as basic education material for post operative care. Management team is great. Nurse manage is well rounded and knows how to handle a large group. Co workers are transient at the moment. There is quite a few travelers in the PACU at this time. Hardest part of the job is learning all the different needed equipment post operatively and learning the acronyms for the procedures/surgeries. Most enjoyable part of the job is assisting people in achieving goals so that they can go home and be comfortable.
Pros
assistance towards education, currently going for my msn
Cons
a lot of the women have only ever worked at gfh and do not know what any other facility is like.
Great people and a great product-terribly mismanaged
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 27, 2013
I enjoyed working at Air Methods because of the talented, can-do individuals working there. The product is top-notch and the core business, of configuring custom helicopter interiors for air ambulances is very inspiring, knowing that the aircraft will be used to save lives.
However; the culture is one where friendships and politics are valued above all and if you're not in the "club" you're punished. Working hours are enforced subjectively, and drawing attention to improper practices is viewed as an impediment to pushing product out the door. The Quality Manager has attempted to bring attention to the areas in which improvement is needed, yet there is no sense of urgency by senior management to correct the improper or wasteful practices.
Pros
great people, great product
Cons
ineffectual management
Air medical profession
Flight Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2013
Typical day at work can be very slow and boring due to no flight requests, or it can be heavy paced and unrelenting intensity. You really just never know what you'll be walking into. Management is very fluid (lots of turnoever). Co-workers are typically very Type A personalities. Hardest part of job is dealing with the very long hours, working nights and weekends and holidays. Being exhausted from a lack of sleep and a constantly disrupted circadian rhythm is also a major drawback. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of knowing you have helped someone during a terrible crisis. Unfortunately the compensation is not comensurate to the work.
Pros
working on a helicopter, respect from peers in the medical field.
Cons
underpaid and working long hours and holidays/weekends.
Manageable Workplace
Material Handling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 20, 2012
I have a good understanding of production control. I learned how to successfully be a Material Handling Specialist. The management can be very unprofessional at times as well as some of the co-workers. I do not feel that there is a strong management leading Air Methods. The hardest part of the job is not getting the benefits you deserve after working for the company for over a year. The work place has a lot of confusion and misunderstanding due to lack of training and communication. Although the corporation has its downfalls I enjoy the work and feel that I am very good at what I do.
Pros
great hours, holidays and weekends off.
Cons
no benefits, underpaid, unprofessional people in workplace.
Rewarding work but poor middle management
Captain (Former Employee) –  Walterboro, SCJuly 28, 2015
The people that work at the bases, for the most part, are very interested in providing safe and reliable medical care. Working closely with them is the high point of working for this company. The problem with the company rests in the middle management area of the business side. Middle managers rarely communicate directly with subordinates and will not back up their employees if something goes wrong. I have seen managers overlook blatant rules violations for some, but when a problem can be traced back to their inaction, they are quick to assess blame to a subordinate.
Pros
Rewarding work, great team evnironment at the base level
Cons
Poor/weak middle managers
Clean shop, corporate building and friendly atmosphere
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 9, 2013
Air Methods is the leader in medical helicopter evacuation services with over 400 aircraft. It's corporate headquaters are located on the north side of Centennial Airport, but there are bases from Alaska to Key West, Fl. The work is fast paced, but friendly in the 145 maintenance shop. I have learned to be involved in all of the day to day details of the shops and the company. The hardest part of the job has been learning the system which I use everyday. Once I learned it, it has been more enjoyable with less problems. The Co-workers are friendly and are willing to work through problems that may come up through out the day or week.
Largest Air Medical Ambulance Company in the world.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 16, 2015
This is a faced paced environment where no two days are alike. As a Communication Specialist you are responsible for answering inbound calls from 911 agencies and hospitals wishing to transfer patients by air.

As a Communication Specialist you are responsible for following the approved intake process and notifying the closest most appropriate aircraft to complete patient transport.

The primary job function for a Communication Specialist is flight following aircraft on all legs of the flight to ensure that the crews complete each mission safely.
Hostile working environment, low wage, uneducated management
Collection specialist (Former Employee) –  PBSOctober 24, 2012
The management here is ridiculous as the majority of supervisors and managers have little to no education (you only need a high school diploma and work here for 15 years to be a supervisor). Hence, there are a lot of them playing favorites and forming their own clan. Management would not take your productivity and performance into account, you just have to be friends with them. They know how to take advantage of our economy and unemployment rate.
Pros
location
Cons
lowest wage since i was 18, uneducated management.
Started off great but things change
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 13, 2013
I was hired about 4 years ago and things were great at first. I was the fixed wing mechanic and lead for 5 bases. Learned alot of helicopter and even went to 4 tech schools. Then everything changed. Both regional and area managers were fired. Work was added week after week until I couldn't keep up. Supposed to be one aircraft - one mechanic. Many days I had 2 to 5 to track or repair in one form or another. When I complained I was terminated for being unprofessional. If you relocate for a job here. Rent
Pros
fellow mechanics are great.
Cons
poor management.
busy workplace
Self-Pay Collections/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 14, 2014
typical day at work was busy, and demanding. Collections between all employees to equal 100 Thousand dollars each day. Management was very demanding. Co-workers were amazing, the office environment would have been completely different if it wasn't for the office staff. Hardest part of the job was trying to collect payments from families that just lost loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to assist people with payments and closing accounts.
Nostalgic experience of military aviation without the uniforms
Relief aircraft maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Based out of Birmingham ALJanuary 23, 2013
The personnel at the corporate office were very helpful and supportive. The reality of the job was a lot of ex-military mechanics worrying about someone knowing more than they did. The site I worked at a coupe against me by the lead mechanic and his buddy at another location resulrted in my termination from the the company.
Pros
new aircraft and supportive tech and supply lines.
Cons
too many arm chair mechanics.
Great CoWorkers, Poor Management
Flight Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Missouri/IllinoisMay 16, 2014
The people for the most part were great to work with. However, management wasn't the best at all. I have had better managers at fast food restaurants in high school. Definite favoritism and bottom dollar began to outweigh the patient outcome. Of the 12 people from my base I was employed at (including pilots), 3 still work at the particular base. Wasn't my "dream job" anymore.
Pros
fellow med staff, pilots, safety
Cons
management, bottom dollar philosophy
Unoraganized, but friendly atmosphere
Avionics Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 12, 2012
Avionics installations on medical helicopters and all that goes with that. Very few opportunites to move up and compensation for lead positions is laughable. Co-workers are easy to get along with and very friendly. The hardest part about the job is that they do not have much organization or listen to ideas to help organize. The most enjoyable is that you work as many hours as you want low or high.
Can be proud of what the company does
Accountant - Sales, Use, and Property Tax (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 9, 2012
Definitely not Work / Life Balance
One of the lowest paying positions I have ever held
The most enjoyable part of the job was that most people had the opportunity to see and sometimes have a ride in the helicopters as they were doing mandatory testing. Unfortunately for me, I never had the time to get over to the hangar.
Pros
what they do
Cons
no work / life balance
large company, you are a number and the only numbers that count are the ones on managements pay checks.
Field Mechanic (Current Employee) –  UtahJuly 7, 2015
Top heavy management in company, No performance raises, very small yearly raises that do not cover cost of living increases. On call duties, with heavy responsibility's. Little employee appreciation.
Pros
leave when work is completed
Cons
poor pay compensation for job responsibility.
If you want to be told your female manager is treated the way she is because she's a female - perfect place for you!
Medical Aircraft Transport Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 14, 2015
Great benefits and hours. Laid us off. They're not worried about pt care, they worry about the dollar. The good ol boy club is who hires people. They don't care to lay you off in a heart beat if it fits their agenda.
Non-Stop growth learning experiance
Inventory Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 16, 2015
The job itself was great. Did not have a lot of communication between departments which cause trouble. Work was very intense. Hard to implement new procedures with old school mentality of company. Very good company to work for.
Pros
Location, Pay, Work load
Cons
Contract, won't evolve, Communication