Air Methods Corporation

Air Methods Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Air Medical Services
FLIGHT PARAMEDIC (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Air Methods is the world's largest provider of air medical transport services. I have been with the company for over 5 years now, and it has largely been a good experience. The benefits package is very good; they will match 401k contributions up to 8%. The salary for medics and nurses is somewhat lower than the industry standard, which is problematic in an area as expensive as southern California. The hardest part of the job for me has been working 24 hour shifts. My preference would be to do 12 hour shifts, but this is not an option with the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is flying around the beautiful terrain of southern California. I became a paramedic to help people and that will always be the best part of the job. You get to help people through very traumatic situations and make a difference in their lives.
Pros
Lots of days off.
Cons
Unstable business environment and long hours on duty.
Very fast paced environment
Contracts, INS Lead, Cust. Service and Collections (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 1, 2016
This is a very fast paced environment, which is great, you will learn so much about so many different aspects of each medical billing department. The only downside is the attitude of the managers in relations to the employees. Taking sick time, vacation time, or family emergencies is frowned upon, regardless of how much sick/vaca time you have accrued. There is mandatory overtime which is disclosed as being maybe 5 hours of overtime per week, the reality is you will be working around 50-60 hour weeks.

The best part used to be that to make up for so much mandatory overtime, there used to be a lot of department potlucks, department activities, games, and a few employee appreciation luncheons.

Overall, I had enjoyed working for this company until management took a turn for the worst. Hopefully this company will eventually fix this issue.
Pros
Learning about all different aspects of the medical field.
Cons
management
Productive and a great learning experience.
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 5, 2016
My typical day consisted of maintaining product bills of material, planning future work orders and purchase order.
I learned many things in relation to modifying medical helicopters and GPS systems.
Management was very flexible in order to plan and schedule production based on customer orders.
The hardest part of the position was to develop a production plan based on labor and machine capacities.
The most enjoyable part of my position was dealing with very skilled employees that were able to define processes that I might have been unfamiliar with.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Some supervisers were mico managed.
large company, you are a number and the only numbers that count are the ones on managements pay checks.
Field Mechanic (Current Employee) –  UtahJuly 7, 2015
Top heavy management in company, No performance raises, very small yearly raises that do not cover cost of living increases. On call duties, with heavy responsibility's. Little employee appreciation.
Pros
leave when work is completed
Cons
poor pay compensation for job responsibility.
Outstanding company to work for.
Flight Paramedic / Rotor Operations (Current Employee) –  Deming, NMMay 31, 2016
An absolutely outstanding company to work for. Excellent culture among the flight crews, pilots and management. Cutting edge education and training with many opportunities for additional continuing education. Can't think of anything to complain about with this company.
Pros
Everything about this company and it's culture.
Cons
Little advanced notice once they hire you.
Rewarding Mission.
Helicopter Ambulance Pilot (Former Employee) –  Clarksdale, MSJuly 27, 2016
Stressful missions but good support from co-workers. Highly scrutinized and regulated industries; medicine and aviation. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction of the crew members. The hardest part was keeping track of continuous changes in paperwork and procedures.
Great People
Communication Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha neAugust 3, 2016
Great employees, I have not worked their in over a year, although when I was there the only part I did not like was the hours. That is something you will deal with in any medical field for the most part though.
Pros
fun and fulfilling job
Cons
hours
Benifits are good, leadership leaves much to be desired
Base Mechanic, Petersburg, VA (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CO 80112May 31, 2016
After 9 years with this company there is no expectation for advancement. The leadership is none existent. The administration is extremely top heavy with this company.
Pros
benifits
Cons
lack of advancement with job and pay
Overworked
DATA INTEGRITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 12, 2016
This company does not promote awards, advancement or leave room to improve your work/life. The training was brief and done via Instant Messenger. The Management was strict but did not have resources to back up the work that was being enforced.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Long hours no time for family
Productive and great place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 9, 2016
Nice place to work, management is there to empower you not just breathe down your neck. There is a great community feeling between the employees as well.
Pros
Great community among the empoyees
Cons
lower pay than most big businesses
Productive work place and great peers within all departments.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJanuary 1, 2016
A typical day at work is great, management is great, learned how to use Ulti Pro a new Payroll Software for me. Co-workers were extremely great to work with. Hardest part of job was staying late on Monday and Tuesdays of pay week, the most enjoyable part of the job was when payroll was finished and sent out to process.
Pros
Great place to work at.
Cons
Manual payroll working with and downloading spreadsheets.
Air medical profession
Flight Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2013
Typical day at work can be very slow and boring due to no flight requests, or it can be heavy paced and unrelenting intensity. You really just never know what you'll be walking into. Management is very fluid (lots of turnoever). Co-workers are typically very Type A personalities. Hardest part of job is dealing with the very long hours, working nights and weekends and holidays. Being exhausted from a lack of sleep and a constantly disrupted circadian rhythm is also a major drawback. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of knowing you have helped someone during a terrible crisis. Unfortunately the compensation is not comensurate to the work.
Pros
working on a helicopter, respect from peers in the medical field.
Cons
underpaid and working long hours and holidays/weekends.
Management lacks leadership
SENIOR INTERNAL AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 5, 2016
The pay was pretty good but the internal audit department lacked focus and had no leadership. There's no room for advancement and management is clueless.
Great place if the can stay open
Welder and Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CO 80112May 2, 2016
Great work, good work environment. Fun and interesting work. I was the lead welder for seven years there and loved it. To bad they had layoffs
If you want to be told your female manager is treated the way she is because she's a female - perfect place for you!
Medical Aircraft Transport Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 14, 2015
Great benefits and hours. Laid us off. They're not worried about pt care, they worry about the dollar. The good ol boy club is who hires people. They don't care to lay you off in a heart beat if it fits their agenda.
Manageable Workplace
Material Handling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 20, 2012
I have a good understanding of production control. I learned how to successfully be a Material Handling Specialist. The management can be very unprofessional at times as well as some of the co-workers. I do not feel that there is a strong management leading Air Methods. The hardest part of the job is not getting the benefits you deserve after working for the company for over a year. The work place has a lot of confusion and misunderstanding due to lack of training and communication. Although the corporation has its downfalls I enjoy the work and feel that I am very good at what I do.
Pros
great hours, holidays and weekends off.
Cons
no benefits, underpaid, unprofessional people in workplace.
Collector (former) "Private Insurance" Department, aka: "PINS" dpt
Billing Collector (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 9, 2016
Only apply if you want to be a "yes-man/maam". the company service is legit, but the managers are utterly awful. there is no training for management, so as you can imagine, the managers have no idea of how to keep people. They focus on numbers, not people. Managers egos are out of control I was there for a few months, in that time 8 ppl from my department alone, left (including a manager) so that should tell you something :\ Management only cares about numbers, so you don't exist unless you make urself feel inferior to them and work a ridiculous amount of accounts. Some coworkers are kool, morale is depressing since management only look at numbers, no one cares about the "culture" of the office. Typical day is a grind because every time you talk to people, its about a tragedy since the company provides air ambulance service. So be prepared to clock in and deal with heartbreak :( There is little training, mostly you sink or swim. Leads are over-worked and stressed out constantly. I've learned that no matter how bad you have it, someone is going through worse, so be grateful and show compassion for all. Also, its better to leave an work environment that is "depressive" due to the lack of support/training of management, than to stay for the paycheck. Lastly, I've learned that management does not earn our loyalty, so we quit or leave as soon as an another job comes up, because management doesn't value their people. This is why the attrition is so high, and will remain that way. they see only what you do wrong, no positive reinforcement. Best part? helping someone payoff debt after  more... an accident, Worst part? dealing with a depressing workplace, incompetent managers, admitting to myself that I deserve more, because it's painful to face the truth at times. People that value themselves, won't tolerate the way this job operates, people that don't care about their self-worth, will stay. Final Note...its 2016 !!!! its all about CUSTOMER SERVICE. Managers must practice what they preach. Dont tell us to give excellent customer service to our accounts and forget that the employees are "CUSTOMERS" to management. Numbers dont make "Numbers", PEOPLE make numbers. And as such, managers should give their EMPLOYEES, the same CUSTOMER SERVICE that they want us to give to our ACCOUNTS!!! It funny to think that with technology nowadays, people can just go on a post (like this) and tell truth !! Employers can't hide their poor management tactics anymore. You would think that with a world that is more transparent, employers would get a CLUE...smh. All we can do is pray for them ! Thanks For reading, i hope this helps in your perspective about this company (especially the "PINS" dprtmt )  less
Pros
helping only 1% of the people pay off bills, meeting a few kool co-workers
Cons
managers, number driven, narrow minded, culture, changes, workloads, unreal expectations, support, micromanage
Very corporate feel
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CONovember 19, 2015
The company is run like a huge corporation. People don't get to know each other and there are no opportunities for growth. Despite being a $500MM company, we had to have pot lucks.
Pros
Financial stable
Cons
Corporate feel, no advancement opportunities
Rewarding work but poor middle management
Captain (Former Employee) –  Walterboro, SCJuly 28, 2015
The people that work at the bases, for the most part, are very interested in providing safe and reliable medical care. Working closely with them is the high point of working for this company. The problem with the company rests in the middle management area of the business side. Middle managers rarely communicate directly with subordinates and will not back up their employees if something goes wrong. I have seen managers overlook blatant rules violations for some, but when a problem can be traced back to their inaction, they are quick to assess blame to a subordinate.
Pros
Rewarding work, great team evnironment at the base level
Cons
Poor/weak middle managers
Unoraganized, but friendly atmosphere
Avionics Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 12, 2012
Avionics installations on medical helicopters and all that goes with that. Very few opportunites to move up and compensation for lead positions is laughable. Co-workers are easy to get along with and very friendly. The hardest part about the job is that they do not have much organization or listen to ideas to help organize. The most enjoyable is that you work as many hours as you want low or high.

2.5