Air National Guard Employee Reviews in United States

TN ANG MHE Mechanic Review
Heavy Mobile Equipment Mechanic (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 27, 2016
Day to day is mostly consistent. There are two slow periods during the year, and both are frustrating. Work pace is decided by each individual, but there is a minimum level of productivity expected by management which is more than reasonable. Shop camaraderie is generally high and everyone is cooperative. Work place difficulties are limited to winter weather operations, and maintenance and repair on vehicles without reliable vendor/manufacturer manuals.The work as a whole is pretty rewarding.
Pros
1hr lunch, great benefits, and annual morale events.
Cons
0645 start time, winter weather operations, and annual safety training.
I enjoy working for the U.S. Air Force, gaining new skills, and possess having the responsibility of being a positive role model for others
E4-Senior Airman (SrA) (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNMarch 2, 2016
I love working with other airman, and to be a positive influence to other people. I enjoy the responsibilities that come along with being a Senior Airman. I will continue to advance in my career in the United States Air National Guard.
Pros
Gaining more skills, and more responsibility, and benefits.
Cons
At times being away from family for more training, but worth it.
Overall the Air National Guard is a great place to work
Ground Radar Systems Craftsman (Current Employee) –  Mountain Home, IDMarch 20, 2016
I have worked for the 266th Range Squadron for the past 18 years. It's been a great job for the area I live in, but for a lot of people promotions take a long time. Benefits include medical, tuition assistance, fitness facilities, and retirement.
Pros
Work-out during work hours, medical, tuition assistance, retirement, and free training.
Cons
At times, promotions can be slow to get.
Greeat Place to Work! Very satisfying!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scott AFB, ILFebruary 22, 2016
Great team work, enjoyed my bosses and awesome benefits! I learned lots of my management qualities and leadership qualities while working for here.
Pros
Lots of benefits, great friends, like family
Cons
lots of of traveling
Good 'Ole Boy System
Peon (Former Employee) –  Lackland AFB, TXJanuary 17, 2016
Promotions, job considerations, and other benefits are only awarded to friends of the bosses and those who "network" better than others. You must know people to move up and get anywhere in this place.
Pros
Benefits afforded you from being in the military
Cons
Hard Work and job knowledge is not as valued as who you know
Steady work, always changing and the days go by quick.
Occupational Safety & Health Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 18, 2015
The career that I have chosen has enabled me to oversee 36 facilities with over 1100 personnel to train, teach or educate directly or indirectly by other safety representative throughout the organization. While doing this I manage 34 programs to insure personnel are protected from overlooked or unforeseen conditions. In order to facilitate this I conduct weekly spot inspection and monthly inspections/assessments. I perform follow up inspections, 30 days or less, to insure any violation found was corrected with monthly or quarterly updates to upper management depending on the severity of the finding as well as the wishes of management. Through share point I have made it very easy and accessible for safety representatives to utilize the information that is needed to keep safety in the forefront of workers, supervisors and management. I use a safety data base to collect any information found during inspections of any type and that assists me on 30 day suspensions and any cystitis for trend analysis.
Pros
Working with and helping people.
Cons
Work one weekend a month.
Best Employer
Network Intel Analysis Craftsman (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHNovember 19, 2015
Day in and day out, I'm fortunate to put on the uniform and go to work. It's a family atmosphere with management who encourages career progression.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Schedule, Job Importance, Atmosphere
Cons
Follow the rules and you will be a succes
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Andrews AFB, MDApril 5, 2016
The military is pretty self explanatory. Follow the rules and guidelines and your career will be a success. Don't and it could be the worst decision you've ever made for yourself. If you join the military it has to be because you want to, otherwise it won't benefit you. Don't commit because others want you to.
Great Benefits and Work Community
Aerospace Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2015
Working at the Utah Air National Guard is a pleasant and good experience. The base is small enough that you really get to know everyone. The pay is somewhat competitive with what mechanics make on the civilian side. Mechanics on the civilian side can make a little bit more. However, in the Guard that is made up for with the great benefits that you receive. Matching 401k, great healthcare, 120 annual military hours of pay and free passage on carpool vans. There many extra-curricular groups and activities you can attend. There's a shooting group and you actually get paid to go shoot because you have to be on military orders to do it.
The hardest part of the job is working parts of the aircraft that rarely have issues and then you really got to do research. Besides that the management can be hectic because of how many bosses you have. The "chain of command" is quite extensive and a lot of things those whom are in that chain do doesn't make sense. Another downside is if you have a really bad boss that's really lazy and doesn't do anything, it's nearly impossible for him to get fired so you will either have to put up with them or move shops.
Pros
Benefits, Leave, Advancement, Community
Limited Manning
Information Technology Specialist, GS-11 (Former Employee) –  Garden City, GASeptember 18, 2015
The full-time staffing of the squadron was limited so personnel tended to be over-tasked. The amount of responsibilities could become overwhelming at times, not only for myself but for other staff members. The technical schools were very helpful but the on-the-job training was not as efficient as it could have been due to the limited number of staff members that could train the employees. The opportunity to learn different communication career skills was abundant, when approved by management to do so. The best part of the job was knowing that you were a part of a team that supported the overall mission of the flying Wing.
Pros
Teamwork.
Cons
Job Advancement opportunities.
North Dakota Air National Guard
Logistics Readiness Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 31, 2015
An excellent career that had helped me develop and hone my leadership and management skills making me an effective and capable leader. I have received excellent training that has prepared me for the civilian sector.
Military training and experience
Aircraft Fuel Systems Technician/Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Newburgh, NYMarch 5, 2016
I excelled by going beyond the call of duty on my own accord and by volunteering for multiple deployments to better and further my career.
I like challenges within the job and to apply my knowledge to overcome obstacles that my co workers or I may encounter by problem-solving and also by using technical data that is provided
Pros
20 plus years of military training
Cons
Great opportunity to serve the country as well as grow in professional environment
Security Forces Member (Current Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJApril 6, 2016
The Air National Guard is a great workplace to develop skills that will prove useful to enhance a professional mindset and standard. The ranking system provides individuals with the opportunity to lead, and follow experiencing both sides of the work process. As expected with the military life training can be rigorous physically and mentally but the hard training is overshadowed by the experience gained through the training both basic training as well as trade training.
Pros
meals, and lodging provided during duty. Training in a trade that is paid for.
Cons
Relocation for training on short notices.
Great people, lack of organization.
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2016
The people I worked with were the best, however, my life was put on hold for months after I had to leave technical school due to a family emergency. I was told month after month to be on "stand by" to return to finish school and finally it got to the point where resignation from my position was the best course of action moving forward.
Pros
Great people, great learning experience
Cons
Hurry up and wait seems to be their motto, Unclear hierarchy that took way to long to make forward moving decisions.
Rewarding place to work
C-130 Crew Chief Senior Airman (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 22, 2016
Working as a team maintaining c-130 air craft. I have learned to put service before myself, Integrity in everything that I do and that there is nothing that I can not achieve as long as I set my mind to it. Management is great always there to answer questions and have my best interest in mind. My co workers are also wonderful. everyone has each others back. The hardest part of the job is on the occasions that I am away from my wife and kids. The most enjoyable part of the job is the Honor to serve my Country.
Excellent and fun work environment
Security Forces / Combat Arms Instructor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 23, 2016
My job is amazing in the Air Force. I am specifically in the Kentucky Air National Guard. I have learned many skills in law enforcement and have been able to help many people. I am a weapons instructor for our base and being able to teach someone how to safely handle a weapon then fire it for qualification is the best part of my job. The hardest part of my job would be teaching someone who knows nothing about weapons and getting the information to them so they understand it. People learn different ways and finding what method everyone learns by can sometimes be difficult. My fellow instructors and I are a tight group of individuals always helping each other ensure a day in the class and on the range goes safely and smoothly.
Pros
Get to teach people new knowledge
Cons
Some days can end up being really long
Produce Intelligence Products
All-Source Threat Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Work life balance
Best Division
Operations Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  McGhee, TNMarch 29, 2016
The TN ANG is absolutely the best place to work for. The down fall of being guard is job security and not knowing if you get to continue your job after the fiscal year. Overall the TN ANG is the continuity to run the missions for the active duty units.
Enjoy serving the state of Texas and the USA
HVAC Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 9, 2016
Normally one weekend per month and two weeks out of the year unless I get deployed or volunteer for a temporary duty assignment. Worked and served with some great people of various backgrounds.Best part of job is serving my state and nation. The most difficult part is knowing that some of our work and sacrifice in helping other people, nations , and the defense of our nation is for naught; that just one man and administration can undue a great amount of sacrifce by so many.
Great place to work the coworkers are excellent to work with
Vehicle Management & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 10, 2016
A typical work day involves getting on our program called OLVIMS sending daily uploads to VEMSO and getting a schedule planned for the day to get our vehicles out of the shop so we can work on others that are due for an inspection. Ive learned a lot over my 4 years like keeping a schedule maintenance plan for our upcoming inspections, keep a detailed records cabinet for our vehicles records, ordering the right parts we need to complete the inspection, and learned to download the weekly fuel through the DLA site. The hardest part about the job is remembering all the transactions in OLVIMS that we have to use. The enjoyable part about it for me is that when there is a lot to do for that week it keeps me busy for the general part of the day.

4.5