Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation Employee Reviews

Horrible company, discriminative and very small
Crew Scheduler (Former Employee) –  AppletonMay 3, 2012
This airline is located in beautiful country side, has great access to cheese, beer and good times. However; the work environment is less than accomodating.
I moved to Wisconsin over 1200 miles to do this job. Was conditionally promised overtime, and was told I would be accomodated due to my long travel.
I came from another airline, which posed problems with the trainer. "Express Jet is the enemy" I was told.
People here are all out for themselves, and are just happy to be in a position to have a job, are not passionate about the industry and dont care about anything except when their paycheck is coming, whether or not Mitt Romney will send them back to the kitchen, and when they can get a raise.
There is NO overtime, they over staff, and your hours are not garaunteed. The schedule is not set, it varies shift during the work week, you cannot plan anything on a regular basis like most airlines will allow you to do.

The compensation is decent, yet the hours again are inconsistent, variable, and not garaunteed according to the department supervisor, WHICH is not located on the floor, works a 9-5 m-f and rarely makes an appearance on the floor, which is why in my opinion the training is insufficient, and knowledge of airline business, and FARs is scarce. In fact "the oldest crew scheduler in America" works there, and I had to challenge her on whether or not an FA could fly on a part 91 repositioning flight. She argued that FAR wouldnt let you, for 30 minutes! I finally had to have a dispatcher tell her differently.

This is PODUNK airline, it is not a career stepping stone.. just
  more... keep that in mind. Unless you plan on moving up with this company, and no other, I wouldnt consider this as a viable move.

happy applying!
Pros
pay, great area to do things, plenty of nature..
Cons
management, supervision, training..
Hard working , very proffessional company, driven for success.
Maintenance Manager, Heavy Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 15, 2012
There is no typical day when one manages outsourced maintenece on 70 CRJ regional jet aircraft. With at least 3 major heavy maintenance visits going on 24/7, out of state and managing the projects, work hours, evaluations, budget and progress for a team of co-workers and managing a huge budget there is only trying to stay on top of everything, reaction to problems and a strong and consistant push to get a finished, quality aircraft, safe, on time and within buget so another one can go in for another maintenance visit and the cycle repeats. It is fast paced, never boring and always evolving. Air Wisconsin's senior leadership strives for their employees to work smarter, not harder and steamline each process. It was togh yet very rewarding and I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. We had a highly dedicated management staff who could shift priorities at a moments notice and tackle another huge project while maintaining the "normal" duties of our appointed positions. When looking back from maintaining a fleet of 5 different type aircraft, huge parts inventories, as many as 86 aircraft with all the specialized MX on each, from repairing huge structural reairs and modidifications to re-painting all of the aircraft numerous times into a totally different paint scheme, it was great employment for many years and freindships with co workers that remain stable today.
Pros
stable company, great benifits, flight priveleges, professional working environment
Cons
30 to 50% business travel, long hours, on call 24/7, no compensation for overtime (salary positions)
review
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIip disruptionJune 8, 2014
A typical work day at Air Wisconsin begins with a briefing followed with each agent preparing for his/her flight at his/her gate'
After completing our flights , we take a 30 minutes break and discuss issues encountered and goes back to our gate for the next bank of flight.
I had the opportunity to meet all type of human characters, to interact solving customer issued , handling delays. oversold and cancellations situations.
I leaned be multi-tasked, to be control my temper in a stressful situation and how to handle customer differently but always with the aim of given them satisfactory explanation on their flight situation.
The management is not on my opinion pro-active enough. We have had situation whereby forseable events like mechanical failure had not been handled ahead of time causing great delay and even customer trip disruption and losses to the company in term of accommodating the customer.
Co workers seem to to be friendly , helpful and co-orperative.
The hardest part obviously is that one has to stay at the airport after regular shift when there is an irregular operations due to bad weather, mechanical issued.
The enjoyable part is when customer feel satisfied by your handling of critical and frustrating situations such as delays.
Pros
interesting benefit, discount of flight fares
Cons
short brea time and to may days of irregular operations
Door to airline industry
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMarch 20, 2014
This is an entry level job in the airline industry. Air Wisconsin doesn't pay much, but you can learn skills that can be used for another airline. If you don't have any experience, the company provides on-the-job training ramp agents, baggage handlers, and other support positions. I worked at IAD and most people were easy enough to get along with, though you will meet some jerks and employees who want to throw you under the bus. The job culture is cliquish. Management is threatening when it comes to following safety procedures, and sometimes harasses employees. Best advice is to get the job, learn ramp and baggage departments, then apply to another airline. Employee turnover is high, and the company is not loyal to most employees. Employees have to join a union, which mans you have money taken out of your paycheck, and you get some representation when management tries to suspend you from work, or fire you. Your union representative will be one of your fellow employees. Schedules are bid for every 3 months, and the schedules are chosen by seniority, that means the employees that are there the longest get the best jobs or get the day schedules.
Pros
entry level airport job
Cons
antagonistic management
Best group of people I've ever worked with
First Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 26, 2013
Typical day (trip) at AWAC started with an exterior prelight, followed with interior preflight duties; i.e. atis, pax count, performance, weight and balance. We'd fly 1 to 7 legs in a day and go to the hotel for dinner and rest, ready to repeat the process 3 or 4 more days. I learned a great deal about operating in a busy flight environment being based on the east coast, and a great deal about 121 operations and procedures, some of which I still use to this day. The base managers were all former line captains and as such were very approachable and friendly. My co-workers made coming into work worth the hassle of a 2 leg commute. As I said, greatest group of people I've worked with. As mentioned above the hardest part of the job was the commute and schedule. Even after 3+ years I still didn't have the seniority to be able to bid a commutable schedule on a regular basis, this lead to having to leave a day early and usually return home a day late. Not conducive to a healthy family life. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flying. The Captains I worked with were very knowledgable and great tutors.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
schedule, pay
A Stepping Stone in your Career
Gate Agent (Former Employee) –  Washington DullesApril 26, 2013
I worked at Air Wisconsin for about 5 months. In the begining it was ok and pretty exciting but slowly slowly I started to notice some major problems about this airline. I worked at cutomer service so the majority of people were lazy or didnt want to put up too much effort. I can completely understand this because if you were the person who worked hard, Then managment will take advantage of you and burn you out pretty fast. There is alot of stress because of Passengers yelling at you constantly for all the delays and cancellations. If you go to school, dont do this job. Thats the reason why I quited because there was no work/life balance. The attendance policy is very strict. even if you are late one minute you get a warning letter. If you are sick you cannot call out even if you have a doctors note, you will still recieve a letter. My personal Recommondation would be to get your experience and leave. This is not the best place to work.
Pros
experience
Cons
management, attendence policy, low pay too much stress.
Fast paced with high responsibility.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 30, 2012
My typical day begins around 3:45 am on Thursday through Sunday. Once my shift begins, I coordinate with supervisor(s), dispatch, operators and vendors the daily schedule, flight fuel loads and gate assignments. I produce and distribute all flight documents. I assist with securing aircraft, ramp equipment, loading of passengers and luggage and guiding aircraft out of gate in a timely manner to assure flight(s) depart on time. I also update flight schedules, gate assignments, complete and file required entries and documents for departed flights.
In addition, I am responsible for counting cash, produce documentation, make computer entries for accounting purposes and fill out required paperwork for deposits.
I have learned that Customer Service is critical, as well as time management and organization is essential to success of on schedule flights.
Pros
customer service
Cons
part time work for minimal pay
Break room, where it all starts
PSA (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 25, 2012
Arriving at work having a briefting and the assigned to duties, baggage, ramp, customer service, the weather could be different each and every day which could make for a hard day and one must be prepared. Begin assignment and work with your team non stop for 31/2 hours then break for lunch, and begin the same assignment for the next bank, could be Mega bank, could be transitionsm quick turns gate changes, delays, cancellations, overbooked flights, no flight crew with a concourse full of passengers asking questions why they are not on their fight, making hotel arrangements because someone did not make thateir fight for whatever reason quite a day at Dulles Airport. The team work that comes together to meet the objective is the greatest part of the job.
Pros
discount flights.
Cons
having a job.
Good job but management sucks
Passenger Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJanuary 16, 2014
we are working under united airlines. we are incharge of their express flights. the job is very easy but it is also easy to mess up if you dont pay attention. A typical work day is pretty much waiting for he planes to come in and then you matrial them in and un load the bags then load the new bags for the next destination. management on the other hand sucks they have favorites and if you arent on that list them they will lie on you to make you look bad. co workers are cool but of course you have those times where you dont get along. some times we have long breaks 2-3 hours depending on the day.
Pros
free flight benefits on us airways (amarican airlines) which ever name the decide to keep, 401k, health insurance
Cons
low pay, management really does not care about employees.
Fast paced, multi-tasking position in a fun environment
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 8, 2013
A typical day at work included processing passengers through check in by issuing their boarding passes and checking in their luggage. Loading and unloading the aircraft of passenger luggage. Taxing aircraft on and off the runway. I learned a great deal of customer service skills as well as multi-tasking abilities and problem solving skills. My co-workers and I worked as a team to ensure prompt loading and unloading of aircraft in the minimum turn time allotted. The hardest part of the job was the physical aspect of loading and unloading heavy bags over 50 pounds above head level. While the job could be mentally draining at times, I enjoyed every aspect of it.
Absolutely loved it!!!!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2014
A typical day would include boarding and disembarking about 20 flights, Interacting with passengers and the public constantly. Selling tickets and checking passengers ID's and passports. I learned the importance of safety in transportation and FAA rules. My coworkers were a joy to work with and very helpful. Hardest part of my job was telling passengers their flight was overbooked and they wouldn't be able to fly. The most enjoyable part was of my job was working with the public and facing a new challenge everyday and learning new things.
Pros
the work environment
Cons
cancelling flights due to weather or mechanical issues
Every day is different
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 9, 2012
Typically I would work on the ramp and unload and load four aircraft a shift. Needed to be flexible as planes were routinely not on their schedule and often had to deal with two planes at the same time. Need to assume that something is going to go wrong and pre-plan accordingly. Teamwork is essential and unfortunately if someone fails to showup, it seriously crimped our ability to get planes turned in a timely manner. Fun but physically challenging, especially during the heat of the summer.
Pros
working at the airport.
Cons
low pay but about the standard for companies that provide ground handling services
stellar benefits, easy work (depending on shift)
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAOctober 19, 2015
I enjoyed my tenure at air wis. the pay was decent in my eyes, most of my coworkers were enjoyable. the work was fairly easy, although they could have done better with manpower and turnover. the overnight shift was by far the easiest thing for the most part, as stated before the only setback was man power. cleaning the ramp and overnight aircraft was a breeze. i was also the designated LAV guy on the PM shitt. that was an even easier task. most of the shift was downtime. the benefits were out of this world.
Pros
benefits, minimal effort required to properly do your job
Cons
mandatory overtime
Job is on the line everyday
Station Manager (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INNovember 2, 2015
I was a Station Manager for Air Wisconsin. It always felt like management never had your back. They hired people that were uneducated and knew nothing about the aviation industry. The culture was very jaded, and you were always looking behind your shoulder at who was going to stab you first. I do not recommend this company to anyone unless they are just looking to get a foot in the door. Someone who already has a career in aviation, this is no good. Hopefully they lose their contracts soon, once United and American realize what they do.
Pros
There really was not any
Cons
Terrible Pay, Brutal work enviornment
Very fast pace job and enjoy the free flight benefits.
Passenger Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 17, 2013
Greet the passengers upon flight arrivals and departure.
Learned to deal with different types of people from all throughout the world .
The managements are great even with the resources they are given by the company.
The challenging part of the job is to work short time outdoor where the weather is very warm during summer and very cold at winter.
The free flight benefits are great and a nice way to travel around the states or the world.
Pros
free flights and easy commute from home.
Cons
during bad weather employees are required to stay late as possible
Great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAMarch 10, 2012
Working here for the past three years I have learned so much – for starters, this job taught my leadership skills that I lacked three years ago. My knowledge of Microsoft Office tools has become enhanced in a way where I can provide training to others. The company provides training classes which not only help me succeed as an current employee but can be very beneficial to any company I work for in the future.
Pros
great team and great supervisor, flexible schedule, skills and qualification advancement
Cons
no cons – looking for career advancement
Flight Benefits only
Customer Service and Ramp Operations (Current Employee) –  Dulles airportNovember 17, 2013
You work harder than you get paid for... this jobs SHOULD start at $12-$15 hour not $9.75... outside condition rain, heat, and cold the only offset to the little pay is the flight benefits.. fly where ever FREE or for a small fee for international flights.. Great bunch of folks you work with(co-workers). However managements could use some improvements.. ALWAYS an issue on your paychecks.. missed counted hours or missed days of pay... so Payroll Dept. could use some help too.. overall its a Job not so much a career...
Pros
free flights
Cons
to much for little pay
Work hard with lousy pay
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INNovember 5, 2014
At first I was excited to work for this company. Then after a couple weeks I saw it wasn't for me. We were always short staffed because those whom have seniority had 1st dibs on all shifts. So that would leave the fairly new people stuck working these crazy shifts hours doing things they had no clue about. Also they need a training instructor on site for new hires because they would have you doing all these dangerous things without an ounce of training. Very unorganized and not team players.
Pros
free flights
Cons
lack of communication
Horrible company
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNNovember 5, 2013
Never any structure when working. Always moved into a new role because of co-workers not showing up and lack of staff hired. It was a great job to learn the aircraft's and work with customers in all situations good, but mostly bad. The hardest part was telling customers when flights are cancelled and they were going to say goodbye to their family for the last time, or have bridesmaids miss weddings due to the flights being over booked.
Pros
part time job
Cons
no organization in the company and lack of staff
annoying place to work.
ramp agent (Former Employee) –  Dulles airportMarch 19, 2013
If you have no life this job is for you. I hated working here! morning shift manager always talked down to you he always treated you with no respect. workers were lazy and under trained which made it a very dangerous work environment. especially on the ramp. they have the worse baggage handlers and customer service were the laziest bunch of people I ever worked with. everyone that works here hates it.
Pros
long breaks because we need them.
Cons
always mandatory overtime.