Airgas

Airgas Employee Reviews

great
JOURNEYMAN SVS (Former Employee), Laporte, TXFebruary 3, 2015
great place to work. management was great. flexible work hours. team work and would recommend this employer. enjoyed my time there. cold in winter
A Great Place to Work
Senior Account Manager, New Jersey and New York (Former Employee), Piscataway, NJFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: slow path to promotions.
A supportive and productive work environment surrounded by positive and proactive people. I enjoyed an excellent salary and benefit plan and felt that management cared about my efforts .
Airgas So Cal - Not what was expected.
Manager (Current Employee), Long BeachJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: complimentary coffee
Cons: too many to mention
Public company. Moral is not good here. Lots on infighting and bittering which take up way too much time to deal with customers. HR will ride you hard. Somtimes too many meetings and training modules online. Not been a pleasant experience so far.
Stay away from Levittown call center
Inside Sales Specialist - Sell Safety and MRO (Former Employee), Levittown, PAJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: learn the safety business and sales training.
Cons: micromanaged till you leave with anxiety attacks driving home
The worst experience of my life! They lie that you will make tons of money. Yes you can make a decent income after years of building a territory on 100%commision. You are challenged daily by outrageous goals of dials,minutes and if that's not stressful enough they micromanage and listen to all of your calls. The environment is a bunch of drama and tons of unnecessary drama. 90%women and take more time worrying about who is going what then working. This heads from leadership down. The new VP of sales I have no respect for nor some of the sales manager. They are the worst that sit around and talk about the employees and create gossip. Don't waste your time or health considering this place. Your just a sales number and not a person.
Could be such a great company...management is terrible
Driver (Former Employee), NYJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: compensation
Cons: management
Airgas, overall, could be a terrific company to work for. Pay and benefits (at least for Union drivers) are top notch.

But there are some serious management issues, not just at the branch level, but at the upper levels.

Dealing with HR can be a nightmare. Having dealt with two different HR reps from two completely separate divisions, it appears as though the HR issues are probably company-wide. Problems include...ill-informed HR and HR that takes forever to respond, or just doesn't respond at all.

Branch management...well this will probably depend on the specific branch but...ours was terrible. – more... The branch manager was a nice enough guy but negligent. The supervisors he installed were generally terrible. The last one was cocky and arrogant.

Be prepared for the most ridiculous safety meetings. In one case, our safety meeting was all about boating safety. Boating safety? What's next? How to safely maneuver a shopping cart? In another meeting, he told the guys they had to work together like ants and snowflakes. Kid you not.

The overall culture...well...a departing sales manager said it best. Airgas is a company that punishes the employees that work hard, and rewards the employees that slack, complain and whine. You've got some guys that are loaded down with work...and some guys that hardly take out any stops. Then there are the guys that take all day long to accomplish the same work that another guy does in half the time.

There's a meme that perfectly sums up Airgas' culture. If you search American Management Explained, you'll find it. It fits Airgas to a T.

Our time with Airgas wasn't all negative. We made a lot of money (mostly due to mismanagement, which led to a boatload of overtime), and our benefits truly were excellent. I especially enjoyed the Holiday Honeybaked Ham and the Perks Program. But we won't miss the overall culture of the place. – less
My experience with Airgas
Ultrasonic Tester (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJanuary 22, 2015
Airgas is a good company to work for. you have room to move up in the company. yes i would reccomend anyone to go apply for a position there.
Good place to work if your lucky to get a good boss so you can move up.
Driver (Former Employee), KentuckyJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: open road
Cons: management
Good company to work for and the pay was good but they made changes to that.Thought i was making to much money. I love to drive therefore i was going 1000 miles a week local and If you get a good boss you can move up since its a huge company. I didnt get that so I here writing reviews about this company and a former employee.
Easy work
Assistant Manager/Plant Operator (Current Employee), Cheyenne, WYJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: working all hours
*All hours
*working with people
*Pay wasn't great
*was able to meet a lot of people
Dysfunctional management pros set schedule
driver (Former Employee), stocktonJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: hours
Cons: dysfunctional management
Miserable place to work management attempts to bully
Employees playing manipulative games making up lies
Work hard workers twice as hard as lazy ones sum it management has no skills whatsoever the left hand doesn't know wht the right hand is doing stay away don't even waste your valuable time
Everyone should work there
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: benefits and pay
Cons: switching jobs
Come in and do what needs to be done
I learned so much that I can take to each and every job that I move on too.
Well I believe at time that they could be better
Awesome
Learned about the use of many liquid and gas forms of chemicals.
Fill Gas Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 2, 2015
Working as a team to get orders complete, communication with

change over shifts to make sure the orders are to be filled. Ability to work in outdoor

weather no matter its conditions unless deemed by plant manger to be unsafe. Ability to lift or

move at least 100 lbs. multiple times throughout the day. Opening and closing valves most

of the day including repair to valves. Working with M.S.D.S. charts and hazardous chemicals

of various types, including flammable, toxic, and corrosive. Time management skills and

ability to know whats needed to perform each task safely and successfully. Reading – more... gauges

listening to pumps and testing for leaks as a pre-fill inspection procedures. I learned to

differentiate between

cylinder gas types, fill valves, pressure ratings, as well as sizes and cylinder types. I

learned how to open the plant while working with the night shift, and learned how to close

the plant with the morning shift. I learned to fill industrial, Ultra high purity, Medical,

and breathing air cylinders. I learned to Analyze the medical gases as well. D.O.T.

regulations and rules were to be strictly noted and followed. My responsibilities were to

safely and properly fill cylinders and work as a team to produce quality product to satisfy

the customer. – less
Safely Deliver Product and Maintain Paperwork
Driver (Current Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: i enjoy driving and delivering to our customers.
Cons: our workforce is cut, so time doesn't allow us to service all our customers.
I enjoy driving for a living, and I take pride in working hard and servicing our customers. I begin work at 6:00 am and work a full day each day. I follow the rules set forth by management, work well with my co-workers in servicing the customer.
Great Job Security
Sales support associate (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYDecember 26, 2014
Cons: no growth
It was a great working enviroment but no room to grow within the company.
Overworked and Stressed
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Rockford areaDecember 11, 2014
They expect you to pull of a miracle everyday, poorly managed branches, upper management doesn't help when general manager is lacking. They under pay you till you call them out on there little joke. The insurance doesn't cost much but the policy is junk. They spend more money on a worthless computer system and safety nonsense than making sure the company can run smooth. Customer service provided by office employees is horrible. They have a million and one safety rules for the drives and the will write you up and fire you over stupid stuff such as not using cones to back up or not chocking wheels. I hate this job with a passion.
Great Place to work
Production Operator (Former Employee), Belton, TxDecember 2, 2014
The management made this job extremely enjoyable. great place to work. The work was dangerous but enjoyable
Decent Place to Work
Collections Specialist (Current Employee), Independence, OHNovember 30, 2014
Pros: stable employment, friendly peers
Cons: no room for advancement, low compensation
This employer is a decent place to work with friendly people and a stable environment. However, there is difficulty in finding positions to advance your career and offers relatively low compensation for the demands of the position itself.
Worker with great sense of responsibility, team-work and work-ethnic
Commercial Specialist (Former Employee), Allentown, PANovember 18, 2014
Pros: working with great co-workers, helping others, communication externally and internally
Cons: taking on too much work and make it a negative for our customers
My daily work day would consist of managing my strategic accounts from a variety of avenues. Customer Service, sales, pricing anazlying, distribution of products, supply chain services, and contract renewals. I learned a great deal about life, work and customers. I learned to ask for help and to build a great work ethnic. My co-workers throughout the years were great and taught me many things. The hardest part of my job was making very quick and cautious decisions to get the product to the customer, and work with sales and regional offices to complete the task at hand. The most enjoyable part of my job was the education of learning from my peers and teaching others as I gained expertise in many important areas.
Area Sales Manager, NYS East (Former Employee), Albany, NYNovember 12, 2014
Heavily invested in providing quality service and products to customers.
Great place to work.
Route Sales Territory Representative (Former Employee), Roanoke, VANovember 11, 2014
Great place to work. Great benefits. Management cares about employees.
Good Stable Job
outlook tech (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 31, 2014
Pros: excellent hours and pay as well as benefits
Cons: poor management from older staff
Good Job, expanding company and have many different vacancies for different individuals.
Headquarters