AK Steel Employee Reviews

The pay and benefits is the only motivation.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHFebruary 18, 2017
If you are a black person good luck getting in to maintenance or tech repair. Middletown Works has a serious skin tone bias problem and want everything as predominantly white as possible... Yes I am an unfortunate victim of it. You might get lucky and get in for the sole purpose of being a token.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Swing shift, skin tone bias, management with little experience.
Productive and interesting work
Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYFebruary 16, 2017
I enjoyed the type of work and the ability to assist the hourly employees as well as to interact with them on a daily basis. The hours were sometimes a little difficult but the end result was a nice paycheck. I found that there was something new to learn every day right up till the last one. We were, for the most part, steady and busy and the job required a lot of different hats to cover the position.
Pros
Overtime pay every week, paid lunch break, everyone understood my job and what it entailed.
Cons
The hours and days were bad. 12 on 2 off...7 of the 12 the start time was 4:00 AM.
Horriable place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHFebruary 4, 2017
Always looking over your shoulder and walking on egg shells. Long hours and high expectations for limited pay. Stay away from this place if you are looking for a career. There are many more good places to work than this.
Pros
Cons
just about everything
Fun jobs safety hard working jobs respect team leader
Labor (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYJanuary 26, 2017
Looking for a hard working jobs that changes my life to better I'm the best worker you would ever find if you give me a chance I work alot of job always was the top leader
Great job
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYJanuary 19, 2017
Love this job. Patrol, fire suppression, fire safety, fire inspection, emergency medical response, supervisor, confined space, hot works, high and low angle rescue, etc.
Was a good company to start career at.
Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 16, 2017
Safety management was well established and backed up safety engineers. The safety culture of entire company was in transition, but improving.
Pros
Cons
Pay could be better
Would not recommend
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Butler, PADecember 15, 2016
Chaotic seem to have no sense of direction. Very good hourly workforce and mid level managers. The problem is at the top and filters down
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Harsh atmosphere
excellent place to earn a living
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  ashland kyDecember 15, 2016
I had the privilege to work at ak for 7 years. I had great benefits provided to me. I felt safe at all times. management was great to work for. my co workers and I formed a great bond. the hardest part of my job was when a problem occurred that could potentially stop production and we had to resolve the problem quickly. the most enjoyable part of my day was being able to spend time with like minded people who were all there trying to support a family the same as me.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
long hours and off shifts
Horrible
Chemistry Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 8, 2016
The experience overall is horrible. Management is extremely lacking in all aspects. Benefits are great although most employees never get to use. Most new hires are hired at 75% of their offered rate it will take over 6 months before the new hire begins getting incentive.

In short this company will back stab they will tell a new hire anything to get a warm body in the door, Do NOT plan on having a life of any kind and be ready to be treated like trash.
Benefits
Cons
Working for AK Steel
Very fast pace and intense
Department Manager Group V (Former Employee) –  Butler, PANovember 7, 2016
Safety is always the most important part of the job. The company always looked at finding root cause failure in the employee that didn't follow written procedures.
Pros
Work was challenging and a lot of good people work there.
Cons
Very Stressful
No family life
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHOctober 28, 2016
You are just a number and they dont care if you work your self into a early grave. I would be forced to work 108 hours before a day off and that was in 7 day peiord.
Non-productive
Quality Control Engineering Lab Intern (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYOctober 28, 2016
Poorly managed, lots of nothing would tend to go on by everyone who worked here. Good pay for very little work. Very dirty and unsafe work environment.
Pros
little work for large pay
Cons
gossip, safety
Work at your own risk
Overhead Crane Operator/ Crane Leader (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHOctober 25, 2016
Worked there for a short time but received many promotions but when my wife became terminally ill they found any and every reason they could to make it unable to continue being employed there.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Manditory overtime with little or no notice
Fun and productive place to work
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KY 41101September 17, 2016
I loved it here but the mass layoff really hurt. Lost my truck and few other things but made it through. Management was good of course. Just the layoff again was bad and left a bad taste in my mouth.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Cons
No home life, and job security
Very Fast production
Production Shift Manger (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHSeptember 11, 2016
Great company to work for only down fall is it is rotating shift production line runs 24 hours day 7 days week. Great management and safety program
do not work here even if you have no other options.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Butler, PASeptember 1, 2016
This company values arrogance and authoritarianism over knowledge, work ethic and leadership. If you have any skill in this area you will be miserable working here. the company is full of young managers who are talented and only using it as a stepping stone. The ones who stay could not get hired anywhere else.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
not a career in ashland
Blast Furnace Operator (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYJuly 29, 2016
i took this job looking for a job i could provide for my family for years to come. The job was very rewarding for the first few years however after surviving one plant closure im stuck right in the middle of another now.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
no breaks and shift work
So safe, it's unsafe!
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJuly 26, 2016
I couldn't agree more with a few of these reviews. Not knowing what day it is, wondering if you're going to have a job tomorrow... Constantly being watched!! It's as if they don't want anyone working on their property!

God forbid an Ear plug mistakingly comes out of your ear for a tenth of a second and they're right on you..

"We have you on video, it shows your ear plug fall out while you were lifting that giant piece of scrap... We're going to have to write you up"

Not to mention it's the employees fault, No matter what! You'll be signing different papers everyday, changes in procedures, TWI's (Temporary work instructions) New rules AND don't forget about the "Uneven floor/surfaces Checklist" yep.... Every day you have to write any "Potential Hazards"...even if it's the same exact hazard from the 200+ previous days!

There's also a 'Hydration Chart'... This is where they make you document what you've had to drink throughout the day, according to your size and weight. These are all ways for the company to NOT be held liable for any injuries or deaths.

The supervision is good in a few buildings, and there are a few buildings whose supervision has completely killed all Moral and have their personal walking on eggshells! Nearly all of my coworkers are great people, there are a few that shouldn't still have their jobs, but I'm sure that's everywhere...thats what the unions for I guess.

Here's a general "Plant Life" tip... Unless you're literally Beheaded, Impaled, Crushed or something horrific ON THEIR property, You WILL not be pronounced dead until
  more... AFTER you're off their property, unless there's an actual Licensed physician on site. Just saying.... There's a million other things I could say, but I won't. It's Hot, Loud, Heavy and constant..... The pay is good depending on which department you're in... I hope I opened someones eyes! But, I gotta go. Good luck!  less
Pros
Checks Clear....
Cons
Hot, loud, constant, management
Dangerous and underappreciated
Track Maintenance / Labor / Safety (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYJuly 11, 2016
Safety is top priority...for getting people into dangerous situations and used as a scare tactic/firing tool.

Management is top notch...except for interacting with employees, making steel, and just about every other aspect pertaining to a steel mill

Excellent facilities...if filthy dilapidated bathhouses/bathrooms/offices/breakrooms are your thing or equipment that breaks down daily

Truly cares...about making product and sacrificing anyone to meet deadlines regardless of common sense

Green...except for polluting the air, water, and manipulating the EPA
Pros
OT if you want
Cons
Everything from the beginning of the shift to the end of shift and MANAGEMENT
Very demanding job.
Day Supervisor Silicon Processing (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAJuly 5, 2016
AK Steel is a great place to work and there is a lot of potential for growth. Their commitment to safety, environmental impacts, quality and continuous improvement are one of, if not the best in the steel industry.
Pros
Fast paced. Room for growth.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AK Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6