AK Steel Employee Reviews

Very restrictive culture
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 1, 2017
The culture is very restrictive and unsupportive. There is zero motivation to grow, learn, develop, or apply existing skills or talent whatsoever. If the pay wasn't so good, I'd be long gone. But, that's not to say I'm not looking.
Fun
Sheerman/Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHNovember 28, 2017
Long hours great payI loved it got per diem and paid housing I really did love that place yes it was dangerous safety meetings we're often it was a very reliable job
Hot place to work
Co-op Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYNovember 12, 2017
I was a Co-Op Engineer. Had a different manager for each term even though I worked in same area. Very relaxed environment. I learned a lot in my time with the company.
Pros
lots of free lunches and enjoyed learning from coworkers
Cons
not able to continue job after graduating from college
constant overtime, worth the time
Carloader (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHNovember 9, 2017
A long walk to work. Very hot. Usually held over to work another shift when that person didn't come in but over time,I was paid time and a half. Holidays are double time.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Heat
Good workers , management sold their souls to ak corporate
Operator (Current Employee) –  Follansbee, WVNovember 9, 2017
Good pay ,good people, horrible management that will write u up or fire you on the spot. Ridiculous safety expectations, always someone fault for break downs ,accidents. Destroys moral and ethics. The worse ,cut throat company by far.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Unreachable safety exp ectations, write ups, overtime.
Enjoy the challenge of day to day operations of the flow of production through the shop.
Steelmaking Coordinator/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYNovember 3, 2017
Provides a safe work environment and expects the same from all employees.
Provides good pay and benefits.
New challenges daily to obtain quality standards and production goals.
Enjoy being responsible for the flow of production throughout the shop.
Lots of great mentors
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rockport, INOctober 31, 2017
I had a lot of great mentors when I worked at AK Steel. Overall, my experience was favorable, however, the management had a tendency to be emotional at times.
decent place to work with good benefits
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KY 41101October 26, 2017
would still be working there but was laid off with about 800 other people in 2015 after AK bought another mill in Michigan . at times over time was excessive
Pros
good benefits
Cons
being forced over with very short notice
Miserable.
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIOctober 19, 2017
I am a contractor @ Dearborn works we do alot of outage and maintenance work in the mills all over the plant the hourly uaw personal that at most times we work hand in hand with are good people the saftey program there is ridiculous they are real hard on contractors but they are double standard when it comes to getting something up and running they treat their hourly people horrible and the maintenance supervisors quit regularly and go to us steel saftey is everyone's job but its like walking on eggshells wondering when your going to get sent to medical over minor stuff i hope the uaw settles their contract soon and get Detroit back on their feet as being a strong union city again instead of giving everything away and start fighting back for their people its a shame that they are breaking the unions down instead of standing up to the corporate world get with it all union reps and building trade bussiness managers need to get together and make this place union strong again instead of letting all the union guys walk around in misery this is not what we are about
Pros
Union
Cons
Saftey bird dogs costing job loss and depression in work force
Good Pay Bad Security
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYOctober 19, 2017
The job offered great pay, but it is dependent on the demand of steel, so job security is virtually non existent. Management is always looking for a way to get you in trouble. Safety is very strict, but as long as you follow all the rules and company policies you will have a very lucrative job.
Pros
Good pay, week vacation every year, plenty of overtime
Cons
No job security, bad management, strict safety
steel mill
Steel Maker (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHOctober 17, 2017
steel mill, so it is dirty, hot, and hard work. Management hires you to look for write ups, union/company friction. Earlier days better than after lock out.
Great company that paid well.
Journeyman Millwright (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHSeptember 29, 2017
Typical day of work: 8 or 16 hour shifts. Production line was fast paced.
Learned: The making of cold rolled steel.
Management: micro managed
Culture: Dirty and hot.
Hardest part of the job: Shift work / missing my kids grow up.
Most enjoyable
part of the job: To be able give my family a good life.
Pros
To retire after 30 years of service with a pension and health care.
Cons
Pollution
Hostile work environment.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHSeptember 18, 2017
The work environment is very stressful, with management displaying a very hostile, anti labor attitude towards hourly employees. couple this with over-reaching safety requirements, (such as wearing kevlar sleeves to operate heavy equipment.
Pros
Good benefits, with decent pay.
Cons
Hostile management with unfair advancement oportunities.
Stressful
Maintenance Planner/Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockport, INSeptember 16, 2017
Tough place to work. They are trying to change the culture from ruthless and mean to modern day but it is VERY slow going. Steel industry work can be very hot.
dirty, poor lab management, friendly people
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 12, 2017
The people at AK Steel are a friendly group but getting management to fix broken equipment or look at safety issues is a totally different story. I left a year ago and I am told that since that time the department that I worked in has seen 3 different supervisors and that the 4th one is finally able to help fix broken or malfunctioning equipment. I am happy for them.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No regulated breaks, dirty, a lot of equipment problems, and a lot of overtime.
great place to work
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHSeptember 12, 2017
The people were great. I was able to go out into the MIll and get hands on experience. I knew the workings of all the processes which better helped me to do my job as a Cost Accountant.
Pros
wear jeans to work, got to go out into the Mill
Cons
Month End required long hours
AK Steel was a wonderful place to work.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYSeptember 7, 2017
I worked swing shift and went to work every time I was scheduled. The wages were more than fair and the benefits were excellent. My co-workers and managers were very nice.
Pros
wage and benefits
Cons
Close to home and paid well
Operator/ Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYAugust 31, 2017
worked there for nearly 7 years. They were good to me and my family. If you showed up for work every day you had zero problems with management. Safety was very important to the company.
Excellent pay and benifits. Safety is way overboard to a fault. Steel mills are dangerous but they take it too far in that regards.
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 31, 2017
Its a good place to work but you are always on your toes for safety "witch hunts" They make it very challenging to do the maintenance jobs required without the trades looking over their shoulders. I believe safety is #1 but they do not approach it correctly.
Pros
Pay and benifits.
Cons
safety program
Toxic working environment
Butler Works Melt Shop Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAAugust 30, 2017
Title says it all, the general working environment here is nothing short of mentally and emotionally toxic. This is driven by the cut-throat and competitive organizational culture that extends from corporate all the way down to the on-turn management. When problems occur, it's not "what happened?" but "who screwed up?". Tie that in with a lack of understanding how people work, lack of willingness to staff properly, and you will start to understand why the average life span of a member of the management team (again, from department and plant managers down to shift managers) is less than 5 years.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
not worth it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AK Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7